2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Re: 2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

Post by ClassAGuy »

4AA Final
(4)Gentry 0
(3) Hill 0
End of 1

SOG-15-8 HM
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Anyone from the Forum at the game?
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Thanks for the up date
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Hill goes up 1-0 2nd period
OtterPuck

Post by OtterPuck »

2-0 Hill
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

SOG now?
I can splash in the rink puddles!
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Section 4AA Final

Through two periods, Hill-Murray leads Gentry 2-0

Ingebritson and Zupfer the goals for the Pioneers

27 saves so far for GA’s Anthony Zolezzi

SOG: 29-15 Pioneers
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Think I heard Hill has 29 shots after 2?

The lead feels tenuous, and could evaporate in the blink of an eye.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:42 pm Anyone from the Forum at the game?
Yup. There’s a few of us. That I know of.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Looks like 3-0 final.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

3 Sampair's, a Bonin, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's Jeff Whisler's grandkid LOL.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Solid win for the Pioneers. You can see the talent Gentry has, but Hill has the right team to play them. Met them with 3 or 4 across at the blue line, constant chipping the puck out and were able to get the couple goals they needed. I don't expect much next week, but I love that some seeded team will be stuck with my Pioneers in the first round. We've lost to them all, so not much is expected, but Hill did pick up their play the end of the year. The team that played this game should be in a game with just about anyone. Trick is getting a lead and playing solid defensively. Jack Erickson did play a heck of a game as did the gentry goalie. Was a fun game to watch, granted my team won.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

inthetwine wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:30 pm 2 points
1. Hill does recruit, by the use of discounted tuition for student athletes.

2. Gentry is bringing this behavior to a new level. Especially by cheating Minnesota taxpayers by taking public funding as a charter school.
Both of my sisters went to Hill. Neither was an athlete. Both got "discounted tuition". It's called financial aid and over 90% of students at Hill-Murray get some.

In this day of open enrollment, every school recruits students, both athletes and non-athletes.

There is nothing wrong with a charter school taking public funding unless they accept students from outside Minnesota. Gentry has been accused of doing so, but nothing has been proven. My guess is that the "out of state" students have moved to a Minnesota address, which is more an indication of the MSHSL's ridiculous transfer rules than any wrongdoing on Gentry's part.
East Side Pioneer Guy

slacsap wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pm
inthetwine wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:30 pm 2 points
1. Hill does recruit, by the use of discounted tuition for student athletes.

2. Gentry is bringing this behavior to a new level. Especially by cheating Minnesota taxpayers by taking public funding as a charter school.
Both of my sisters went to Hill. Neither was an athlete. Both got "discounted tuition". It's called financial aid and over 90% of students at Hill-Murray get some.

In this day of open enrollment, every school recruits students, both athletes and non-athletes.

There is nothing wrong with a charter school taking public funding unless they accept students from outside Minnesota. Gentry has been accused of doing so, but nothing has been proven. My guess is that the "out of state" students have moved to a Minnesota address, which is more an indication of the MSHSL's ridiculous transfer rules than any wrongdoing on Gentry's part.
Charter school = public school, period. Charters are public, privates are private. Charter schools do not charge tuition, and get per pupil aid like all public schools. I don't recall specifics, but they also get other aid, to pay for building rent, etc.

For decades now, private schools get non-religious textbooks with public dollars, and local school districts are required to provide bussing for a students within the district, even if that is to a private school.

What I'm curious about is how is Gentry supposedly abusing this?

Hill had what are known as "foreign exchange students" when I was there, a Swedish kid, and a couple of German gals. None of them played a sport. This is not a new thing.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

wbmd wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:31 pm Gentry will kick on Hill Friday night, providing the Pioneers beat Woodbury.
Well that one didn't age well. Wishful thinking is not a good basis for predictions.

Gentry couldn't beat our worst team in a generation. Maybe move back to single A?

I was disappointed there was no "WHERE'S your CIT-eee???" forth and back between the students.
Last edited by East Side Pioneer Guy on Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Great game by Hill. They looked faster and more organized from the start, and once they had the lead they sunk into a perfect defensive game. I actually didn’t think Gentry had many good looks at all. Reese Shaw, and I couldn’t make out the other kids number, had an odd man rush that fizzled. Shaw just about snapped his stick in half as he skated back to the bench. You could tell Gentry knew after the opening minutes that goals on their side would be at a premium and they couldn’t miss opportunities like that.

Aldrich was packed. Didn’t know how that would go, but plenty of people showed up.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

East Side Pioneer Guy
I agree with everything you wrote, Foreign exchange students are a part of the vast majority of high schools and they are eligible to participate in sports under MSHSL rules. I haven't heard anything solid on how Gentry is abusing rules on public funding. A lot of the criticism against Gentry comes from their supposed use of ice time during the school day and basically running captain;s practices during "gym class". Again, nothing has been substantiated.
East Side Pioneer Guy

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 pm Great game by Hill. They looked faster and more organized from the start, and once they had the lead they sunk into a perfect defensive game. I actually didn’t think Gentry had many good looks at all. Reese Shaw, and I couldn’t make out the other kids number, had an odd man rush that fizzled. Shaw just about snapped his stick in half as he skated back to the bench. You could tell Gentry knew after the opening minutes that goals on their side would be at a premium and they couldn’t miss opportunities like that.

Aldrich was packed. Didn’t know how that would go, but plenty of people showed up.
It sold out, but not long before the game started. It was definitely not as packed as the other finals at Aldrich.

Seeing Hill hoist the section championship trophy, uh, I mean bookend never gets old.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Speaking of Reese Shaw. He’s big and skilled. In warm ups,
he was using his stick to flip a puck up in the air and catching it perfectly on his stick every time. And he was flicking it really high. Well above the rafters. He worried me in this game but I thought Hill was really physical with him and don’t give him much. Again, perfect game plan by Lex and Schafhauser.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:01 am I'm sticking with Hill 2-1 tonight. One of these teams will enter the X next week without a quality win. I discount any HDM win, and while there may be a slight argument that Hill's win over STA and Gentry's win over WB are quality wins, they are very marginal in that respect.

Looking at Gentry's record, I don't see anything there, save a nice win over a slumping Bears squad that barely survived Tartan, and we all know Sager's teams never improve over the season. And don't try to sell me on a 7-0 win over Roseville.

Hill has no quality wins. The only thing I can say about Hill's record is the pair of very narrow losses to Edina.

Again, I have to state that the true test of Hill hatred is the state tournament games with Edina. And at those games, there is a very slight but detectable amount of applause for Edina's goals (from neutral fans) that is not there for Hill goals. It's really amusing, that the Hill haters hate us so much, they insist were not the most hated. They don't want us to have that badge of honor.
I don’t usually read through all the Cities threads but this one has been really good! You’ve always come across as just a semi-cocky Hill guy, so you’re okay in my book. 😀

When I went to Colkege, all I knew about Hill-Murray is that they made a few of the State Tournaments that I watched in the 80’s.

I had a kid from Bloomington Kennedy in my dorm. He literally spent the entire year bit@“ing about Hill-Murray. I never got it at the time. But I always think of him when I read these threads.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:18 pm
I figured so, especially you & ESPG as HM alums. Would've been fun to meet a few of the Forum members. Being non-partisan fans, we grabbed seats on the visitor side, not knowing one side from the other. It was a great, lively atmosphere and a fun game to watch.
BlueLineSpecial

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:23 pm
I figured so, especially you & ESPG as HM alums. Would've been fun to meet a few of the Forum members. Being non-partisan fans, we grabbed seats on the visitor side, not knowing one side from the other. It was a great, lively atmosphere and a fun game to watch.
Yeah I agree it would be fun. I keep telling myself to reach out and get some folks together at one of these games to meet and say hi. But then I’m also fairly worried about being stabbed if I divulge myself 8)
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 pm Great game by Hill. They looked faster and more organized from the start, and once they had the lead they sunk into a perfect defensive game. I actually didn’t think Gentry had many good looks at all. Reese Shaw, and I couldn’t make out the other kids number, had an odd man rush that fizzled. Shaw just about snapped his stick in half as he skated back to the bench. You could tell Gentry knew after the opening minutes that goals on their side would be at a premium and they couldn’t miss opportunities like that.

My sentiments exactly BLS. We anticipated a sell-out so I bought my tix yesterday & we were at the arena about 6.
Wherever & whenever Gentry had a hint of a rush, 1-2 or more HM players were right there to meet them. I thought the backcheck & forecheck were awesome, thoroughly frustrating Gentry. At times they looked at a loss as to what to do.
HM dug themselves out of a deep hole that started their season & now are in the tournament. I said on here a couple of months ago when HM started showing signs of life that I never count out a Lechner coached team. Congratulations to them.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:33 pm

Yeah I agree it would be fun. I keep telling myself to reach out and get some folks together at one of these games to meet and say hi. But then I’m also fairly worried about being stabbed if I divulge myself 8)
Not by me. I'm just a lovable Iron Range transplant of about 50 years who hails from the same hometown as the grandpa & father of one your famous alums who plays for the Penguins. I'll even smile now. :-D
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:33 pm
Not by me. I'm just a lovable Iron Range transplant of about 50 years who hails from the same hometown as the grandpa & father of one your famous alums who plays for the Penguins. I'll even smile now. :-D
We're still Guentzel fans at HM. Glad those kids came through the program and Jake has had an unbelievable pro career.