Rosemount

Sticklicker

Re: PRO

Post by Sticklicker »

Rosemount Hockey has traditionaly given little back to their community and hockey in general. They were on the road to recovery but have a long way to go. <p></p><i></i>
sickofnoknowledge21

Re: PRO

Post by sickofnoknowledge21 »

My point is simple. Tom Preissing can not be used as an example of the talent that diskman has claimed exists in rosemount over the years. He may or may not have even played his high school hockey there (I truly don't know). What I am trying to say is that there has been very little talent coming out of this community. Obviously most communities are not churning out NHL players, but the upper end hockey communities do send some players to college or the USHL on more tha ONE occasion (see Tom Preissing). The bottom line is that Rosemount has not produced really any talent in a number of years. You can not dispute that. By the way, RL Stars, didn't Hawkins start at Rosemount and then transfer after his sophomore year when Michelletti was supposed to begin his run of tourney births? <p></p><i></i>
RLStars

Sickof......

Post by RLStars »

Well Sickof...., I'm not from the Metro area, more like Central Minnesota, so I know very little about Rosemount. What I do know is that you seem to have a bit of a "chip" on your shoulder when it comes to this community. I don't believe that I've ever been there and I'm sure you've never been to my town. <br><br>What is talent to you could be garbage to me. <br><br>I was talking to a Minnesota native NHLer this summer who was on the ice with my sons summer team. He said that when he was in HS, he was not the most talented player on the ice. He considered himself a mid to upper level player at best. He attributed his success to his work ethic and drive. He also said that he ran into the "team stud" (you know, the talented one) a few years ago at a Best Buy where he works the checkout. <br><br>There are lots of guys like this that advance to the next level even though some think they were not very talented. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... RLStars</A> at: 10/12/05 3:06 pm<br></i>
Kodiak

On the rise!

Post by Kodiak »

The Rosemount hockey community is growing, and from what I saw last year, and what their Bantam team did a year ago, the DO have some very good talent in the program. These are the early years of what I think will eventually be a top-notch Lake Conference team like Apple Valley, Jefferson, and Eden Prairie. But Rosemount is also more of a small, rural town than it is a rich suburb, so their talent is bound to be up and down ever 4 or 5 years. I think they'll be very good this year, and even better two years down the road when last year's bantams are seniors. Good luck Irish... I wish Don Micheletti was there to lead you, but if Macho can keep everything organized and stick around for 10-15 years, Rosemount will become known as a hockey town! <p></p><i></i>
98irish

Re: Sickof......

Post by 98irish »

Rosemount may not churn out a lot of D1 players but they've had a few over the years. And every year they seem to place 1 or 2 in the D3 ranks at St. Thomas, Bethel, Augsburg, etc. And that ain't bad hockey either. When the Jr. College league (Community College) was running there were several every year recruited for both playing and education opportunities. You may say that's just Junior B hockey, but heck I wouldn't have minded getting a college education while playing hockey. As far as names, certainly there's the Conboys, (like 'em or not), Sainteys, Johnson, Wendel, Kenevan, Del Fiacco (sp?), Rolfing recent players and all had opportunities to play post HS hockey. Not all high profile players but good steady hard working players. Some chose to take advantage of their opportunities, some did not. And I know for a fact that current players Calson, Hamilton, Wicker, Brown, Saintey and a few others are being watched and have been contacted by recruiters. So like someone else said...take the chip off your shoulder. Rosemount has had a tough road since Eastview split, the loss of several Head Coaches (Hurt, Eigner, Hoekstra, Micheletti) and they have been climbing up slowly. Also remember back many years Rosemount was the only HS in district 196. They lost students and athletes every time a new HS opened I.E. Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville (dif district but still lost students), Lakeville (same as Burnsville), Eastview. Watch Lakeville for the next few years see how they fare with their split. A split especially when they unnecessarily split the youth organization as well, makes for a long road to recovery. Well that's enough of my whining for now. I will continue to watch Irish hockey as I have for many years and I will enjoy the talent pool....whether they be STARS or NOT. <p></p><i></i>
diskman

grass is greener?

Post by diskman »

Not only did they lose players every time a new H.S. opened, they lost a lot to open enrollment. If I remember right, the year that AV won the state tournament, three of their best were really Rosemount kids who thought the grass was greener over there. <p></p><i></i>
skatintheriver

micheletti

Post by skatintheriver »

Can someone please help me with the love affair with micheletti? Yes he played for Herb Brooks at the U. He coached a U-12 girls team, did they beat the Lady Gophers? Then he gets the job at Rosemount, spends the next two years telling everyone he is turning the program around. First year, how did that work out for ya. Second year, they win maybe 6-7? Eigner did that routinely, Hokstra (sp?), had to be similar. What did he do that warrants putting him next to Saterdalen in HS coaches hall of fame. Being a former gopher doesn't also mean you are a great coach. If he instilled all of this discipline they wouldn't have been in the box more than any other team in the lake. I would sum it up with name recognition is great but coaching skills are better. I believe that Macho will be a great coach for the program. He actually has a background in working with the age group. With that said Rosemount has had 5 coaches in the last 10 years? That is the real story. Look around in the conference. How many other teams have that much turnover? <p></p><i></i>
Kodiak

Penalties

Post by Kodiak »

Skatin', yep, the Irish were still in the box way too much, but believe it or not they cut their penalty minutes in half each year that Micheletti was there. Make no mistake, this program was heading in the right direction and QUICK! They beat Chaska, Lakeville, Burnsville, and Eastview in the Lake last year... the first conference victories in 4-5 years. They did not play many cupcakes last year, and they won't play ANY this year. Micheletti set them up to be great, and I still think you'll l see a good team this year under Macho... they'll be very good, as long as he doesn't take any BS from the players. <p></p><i></i>
sickofnoknowledge21

Re: Penalties

Kodiak,<br>How do you just throw out facts that are completely wrong? A friend of mine had kids playing for the guy before Micheletti. Did you know... when this year's current seniors (Hamilton, Wicker, Percy, etc) were freshmen they beat Burnsville with eight to nine freshmen in the line-up? Did you know, that same year with EIGHT or NINE freshman (absolutely unheard of in the lake) they tied Chaska. That is one win and one tie in the lake with eight to nine freshman. They year before they had three or four conference wins. They year before that they had at least two. Get a clue buddy. <p></p><i></i>
98irish

Post by 98irish »

sick:<br>You're the one that needs to get facts straight. Your friend is wrong. I watched every Irish game for the past 10 or 12 years and had a few sons in the mix. The last 2 years Hoekstra had the team they won zero conference games. In fact I can't remember a Lake conference win under Hoekstra, maybe Kennedy along the way. Even Eigner registered only 1 or 2 in his last year. Yes they both had to deal with the Eastview split and the numbers were down. Everyone was understanding of that, but not the lack of discipline. They may have beaten Burnsville but not in a conference game, must have been a Holiday tournament or something. I remember them beating Jefferson under Eigner around 1994. Yes Hokey had several freshmen playing but he destroyed the youth program and the feeder program, and players had zero discipline on the ice, locker room, bench. Check the back issues of the Rosemount newspaper and check out the penalties and game ejections. Last year Rosemount beat a couple Lake teams they had never beaten, and cut their penalties down, goals against down and scoring was up over the previous year. Most wins for a Rosemount team since at least 1994. Anyway, Mick may not have had a lot of experience prior to the HS job but he gained a decade of experience (in just under 3 years) trying to clean up 2 prior head coaching disasters. He had them heading in the right direction and I'm sure Coach Macho will keep a steady course if he doesn't relent on the discipline. No love affair with Coach Mick, people just know the real deal when they see it. <p></p><i></i>
sickofnoknowledge21

I have checked the facts. Rosemount did not play Burnsville in a non-conference game at any point. They beat Burnsville at home the year the current group of seniors were freshman. They also tied the Chaska Hawks the same year. This is simply fact. And as a matter of fact, they beat Burnsville the year before at Burnsville by scoring 3 goals in the last minute and a half and won in overtime (at b'ville). That same year they beat Chaska and kennedy. As I have done some investigating, Rich Eimer's senior year saw the Irish with a three game unbeaten streak in the Lake. They beat Eastview at home 4-1 behind Nate Anderson, they beat Eagan at home, and they tied Kennedy. The only reason I have wasted one hour of my saturday researching this is that I know the truth (my research confirmed it.) I am not a Hokstra supporter or non-supporter, I have no idea who he is. I do know people associated with the program that had kids play for him and the facts that I have presented are indisputable. <p></p><i></i>
sickofnoknowledge21

oh i for got one thing, my reseach shows that hokstra's 2nd to last year had a 5-3 win over Grand Rapids in the Duluth Marshall tournament. Thank you. <p></p><i></i>
98irish

Post by 98irish »

Hey thanks for setting me straight. I guess my obvious dislike for the prior 2 head coaches blanked out my memory. I do remember the OT win against Burnsville after you mentioned it. Still don't remember the 3 in a row with Eigner though. You brought up a few more names from Rosemount's past though, Ehmer and Anderson. Rich was a really exciting player who would have been great had a serious injury not cost him a good part of one season. I saw his mom a while back at an Irish fundraiser and I believe Rich is/was in the Army and stationed in Iraq. Wish him the best. <br>Anyway, still stand by my statements about Coach Mick, he got the ship headed in the right direction, and if the young future stars don't move on to greener pastures, Rosemount will do some damage in the Lake for a few years to come and I don't mean in the penalty department. Good luck to Coach Macho and his new crew whoever they may be. I'll be in the stands watching and enjoying Lake conference hockey whether the Irish win or lose. <p></p><i></i>
sickofnoknowledge21

98,<br>The three game unbeaten streak in the lake was not under Eigner, it was under Hokstra. Eastview, Eagan and a tie against Kennedy. That team was led by Ehmer and Anderson. I don't know anything about Ehmer, but it sounds like he was a solid player and a solid individual. My hopes and prayers are with him in Iraq. I don't know anything about Anderson either other than I used to hear my friend tell me he was very underrated. My best wished to the Irish this year. <p></p><i></i>
rosehockfan86

facts

Post by rosehockfan86 »

Rosemount is on the up and up, we won a handful of conference games last year, and you can say what you like about the Conboy's but one is drafted by the sharks playing AHL in Cleveland and the other is playing Junior A's in Witchita Falls, while the middle brother played Junior A's and now plays football for Saint Cloud. Benny Lindell came out of Rosemount and played USHL, Multiple are being scouted and a graduating senior had Junior A offers. Tom Preissing plays for the Sharks. We struggle at times but we pulled surprising wins last year against burnsville and lakeville as well as chaska and we punished estview 7-2 midseason. Know the facts before you hate. <p></p><i></i>
Kodiak

Sick

Post by Kodiak »

Sick, please don't tell me to get a clue, nor call me "buddy". I have a clue, and I am not your buddy. If I was wrong on the Lake Conference games, oh well... my bad. I apologize. New to the community and just went by word of mouth. I hope it was worth it to waste your time doing all of that research... it really doesn't matter. Rosemount will be good, maybe even great. They're a team that's ready to make it to the "next level". Don Micheletti's a good coach and a good man, and you'll see him again in either the High School or College ranks some day. He did a good job in Rosemount because he stuck to his guns, was honest with people, and would not sacrafice the team for any one player (kicked Conboy off the team, kicked smart alec kids out of the locker room, sent NUMEROUS players to JV as punishment for stupid penalties, at least twice sending team captains down for a game). He did it his way, and it was working. It sounds like Scott Macho is also a good coach, and I'm sure he will lead this program in the right direction. I'll enjoy watching the Irish again this year! <p></p><i></i>
hockeydad

Re: Sick

Post by hockeydad »

Quote:<br><br>We struggle at times but we pulled surprising wins.........<br><br>I would take more comfort in the historic success of a program if the wins weren't so "surprising." I don't know much abou the situation there, but it sounds like Micheletti was going a good job. Good luck to the new coach. Sounds like he's got some tools to work with. <p></p><i></i>
diskman

discipline

Post by diskman »

I think Rosemount could have a good team this year. It will be interesting to see what happens with the new coach, whether he will be able to keep these kids on the straight and narrow or whether it will be business as usual. <p></p><i></i>
98irish

Re: Kodiak

Post by 98irish »

For being new to the community you've got a pretty good read on Rosemount. I will correct you on one item though, Coach Mick did not kick Conboy off the team. Conboy was benched a few times for excessive penalties, and had to sit a couple games out because of game ejections, and was kicked off the ice at practice a time or 2, but he left the team for good of his own choice. Coach Mick ran a disciplined program that "ALL" player had to follow. He always thought a kid deserved a second chance or 3rd or 4th as the case may be. We have to remember that these kids are just that, kids (young adults) who may need some direction from someone other than their parents. Some choose to follow or accept that direction, others move on to find what they're looking for. I know others will blast my tolerance of "troublemakers" but maybe that was me many years ago and someone along the way, like Coach Micheletti, made an impact on my thought process. Anyway, I agree with others that Coach Mick will surface somewhere and help out another struggling program. <p></p><i></i>