sportsmanship once again

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

watchdog

sportsmanship once again

Post by watchdog »

i attended a squirt game in roseau yesterday wittnessing some of the worst sportsmanship i have ever seen from parents,players,and coaches from egf or otherwise. A few comments from the stands on marginal calls is really normal in this day and age and probley always has been. what people really need to think about is when you find yourself screaming and yelling out homer after every call you really need to step back and find some help for yourself or use some self control at some point. the kids after the final buzzer of the game were all slaming their sticks on the ice up against the boards. two of them even slashed two of the roseau players after the buzzer. i dont blame the kids at all you have the coach crying to the ref the whole game parents yelling at the refs the whole game the kids have been taught the behavior from those they trust the most. roseau had the most penalties in the game. i didnt see any really bad calls it was a ruff dirty game right from the start. one of the calls that drew alot of hollering was at the end of the game egf pulled their goalie and before he was even half way to the bench the player going out was joining the play in the roseau end of the ice. the ref blew the wistle and put the faceoff at center ice they should of recieved a minor for two many players. so when are we gona get a grip? myself and everyone out their needs to take a deep breath and remember these people (refs) and our kids need us adults to have some respect and grow up.
Last edited by watchdog on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
wingsrule

Re: sportsmanship once again

Post by wingsrule »

watchdog wrote:i i expect this sort of spotsmanship down south but not up north.
Interesting statement but where you live, north, south, east or west, has nothing to do with class or behaving as an adult and role model for our children. Sportsmanship and acting appropriately at all times, in sports and in life, is learned from the parents, teachers and coaches.
SotaH0ck14

Post by SotaH0ck14 »

couldnt have said it better myself wingsrule
but i do agree watchdog this is getting out of hand
plus these kids are 10-11 years old its not like they are play for the stanley cup or anything
everyone needs to get a grip
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

watchdog wrote:i didnt see any really bad calls it was a ruff dirty game right from the start. one of the calls that drew alot of hollering was at the end of the game egf pulled their goalie and before he was even half way to the bench the player going out was joining the play in the roseau end of the ice. the ref blew the wistle and put the faceoff at center ice they should of recieved a minor for two many players. so when are we gona get a grip? myself and everyone out their needs to take a deep breath and remember these people (refs) and our kids need us adults to have some respect and grow up.
This is the correct call under Rule 205 Change of Player

(b) A goalkeeper may be changed for another player at any time under the conditions set out in this section.

(Note) When a goalkeeper leaves his goal area and proceeds to his players’ bench for the purpose of substituting another player, the rear Linesman shall be responsible to see that the substitution made is not illegal by reason of the premature departure of the substitute from the bench (before the goalkeeper is at the bench and out of play). If the substitution is made prematurely, the Linesman shall stop the play immediately by blowing his whistle unless the nonoffending team has possession of the puck, in which event the stoppage will be delayed until the puck changes hands. There shall be no time penalty to the team making the premature substitution but the resulting face-off will take place on the center face-off spot. Where play has stopped with the puck in the offending team’s defending half of the ice, the face-off shall take place at the point of the stoppage of play, unless otherwise covered in these rules.

At this level I am surprised that the officials actually knew of this rule and calle it correctly. So few low level officials know this rule and get it right.

watchdog - This is a great post and I agree that a lot of people (refs, players, parents and coaches) need to take a step back and look at the big picture, even more this time of year heading in to playoffs.
hockeyguy123

Post by hockeyguy123 »

Thats unexceptable where ever you are. The parents have to realize that their kids are 9, 10, 11 years old and its not the end of the world if they lose one game. They are only squirts they are going to have a lot more games in their hockey careers. Save the yelling for when they are playing at the Xcel in the High School Tournament or Mariucci
jackstraw

sportsmanship?

Post by jackstraw »

What is with the comment that you expect this sort of stuff down South? VERY disrespectful and "unsportsmanlike". Kind of the pot calling the kettle black.
gopherhockey06

Post by gopherhockey06 »

its kinda true though the city kids r usually more fiesty :twisted:
tonight i saw a game, chaska vs bloomington jefferson bantam A game and a jefferson kid got a misconduct for swearing and when he was in the box he was yelling at the refs and then yelling and swearing at the box keepers
way to show class for the little kids
wingsrule

Post by wingsrule »

gopherhockey06 wrote:its kinda true though the city kids r usually more fiesty :twisted:
tonight i saw a game, chaska vs bloomington jefferson bantam A game and a jefferson kid got a misconduct for swearing and when he was in the box he was yelling at the refs and then yelling and swearing at the box keepers
way to show class for the little kids
Sorry, help me out here. I watched this game, was standing by the penalty box and didn't see this player incident occur. Enlighten me with some facts or did you just decide to make up an incident that didn't occur?

The second goal by Bloomington should have been blown dead. After a few seconds the goalie lifted his pad and a Jefferson player jammed in the puck. One observation, the Chaska goalie should have had a misconduct assessed after the 3rd goal but the Ref explained the situation, gave him a break and let the game continue. Interesting that Chaska only had one goalie suited up. I thought it was a D6 rule that a Bantam A Team have 15 players and 2 goalies. Does Chaska only have 1 Bantam eligible goalie?

Overall it was a good game with Chaska putting on some great forecheck but couldn't capitalize. Jefferson was relentless and kept coming with the outcome probably justified. The refs put the whistles away for most of the game, let a lot of calls slide and then made some questionable calls at the end. Tried to figure this out but couldn't. Wonder if these were really D6 refs?
watchdog

sorry

Post by watchdog »

sorry about the down south comment. i shouldnt put everyone from down south in this catagory. every area has groups of parents that fit the discription obviously.
QuackerTracker

Re: sorry

Post by QuackerTracker »

watchdog wrote:sorry about the down south comment. i shouldnt put everyone from down south in this catagory. every area has groups of parents that fit the discription obviously.
You should appoligize for not knowing the rules as well...
watchdog

whatever

Post by watchdog »

the topic wasnt really about the rules. thanks for clearing that up. im not a ref and dont study the rules. their was too many on the ice and i thought that rule would apply turns out it dont im not appoligizing for that. its ok ill watch your comments and catch you on something sooner or later.
QuackerTracker

Re: whatever

Post by QuackerTracker »

watchdog wrote:the topic wasnt really about the rules. thanks for clearing that up. im not a ref and dont study the rules. their was too many on the ice and i thought that rule would apply turns out it dont im not appoligizing for that. its ok ill watch your comments and catch you on something sooner or later.
I don't make mistakes. I read the rule book before making comments!
wingsrule

Re: whatever

Post by wingsrule »

QuackerTracker wrote:I don't make mistakes. I read the rule book before making comments!
I believe I've seen you ref, some good games, some bad but being a ref is not easy and it's a lot easier to see the calls from the cheap seats in the stands. A good friend is a Ref in D6. Have watched him Ref for the past 6 years and have seen steady improvement. A Bantam coach commented to me last evening that he thought he was one of the best refs in D6.

Am I mistaken but wasn't your father also a ref?

Question: Is it hard to read this forum or make good decisions on the ice with that "chip" on your shoulder?
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

wingsrule wrote: Does Chaska only have 1 Bantam eligible goalie?
No the other goalie who earned a spot on the team twiced was asked and refused each time to play for the the current head coach based on a late season incident last year where the coach did not allow him to have his back-up role roster spot back for the VFW tourney after fully recovering from an injury. Coach and Association president refused any sit-down "clear the air" discussions after last season and before this season started. So the player decided he would play B1 and also focus on some of his soccer.

D6 was aware of the situation.
wingsrule

Post by wingsrule »

tomASS wrote:
wingsrule wrote: Does Chaska only have 1 Bantam eligible goalie?
No the other goalie who earned a spot on the team twiced was asked and refused each time to play for the the current head coach based on a late season incident last year where the coach did not allow him to have his back-up role roster spot back for the VFW tourney after fully recovering from an injury. Coach and Association president refused any sit-down "clear the air" discussions after last season and before this season started. So the player decided he would play B1 and also focus on some of his soccer.

D6 was aware of the situation.
From my perspective the Bantam level is about development of 13, 14 & 15 year old kids. Why didn't the team pick another goalie for the A team?
egf hockey1

Post by egf hockey1 »

Just to try and clear EGF's name here. This was a bad example of what EGF hockey is about. This is an isolated instance , and not the norm and hopefully will never happen again. We take alot of pride in our teams and try to represent our community well. I apologize to the city of Roseau for our behavior last weekend, our actions destroyed what was a great game between two very good Squirt teams.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

wingsrule wrote:
From my perspective the Bantam level is about development of 13, 14 & 15 year old kids. Why didn't the team pick another goalie for the A team?
1) Development for the B1 goalie who was on A last year was not provided last season why start now....but seriously
2) The goalie currently on A was the partner at B1 with the goalie that refused to move up. So a move was done, but the top rank goalie at A decided after the season started to try out at AHA and he made the AHA JV team so it left just one again. They had already moved a goalie up from B2 to be the second on B1 - any movement further up would have put the previous B2 goalie in a postion to fail at the A level and the A coach would not have provided him any playing time. Development would have been slim to none.

You have to put players in positions to be successful while developing them. I agree with you - it really should be about development of the players at this level.
STAhockey

Post by STAhockey »

the Fair Play Points are the stupidest thing in Youth Hockey. They put teams that have no busness being in the playoffs, and it gives them a good seed, while the good teams dont get very good seeds. the Fair Play Points should only be used as a tie breaker. fair play points suck
QuackerTracker

Post by QuackerTracker »

STAhockey wrote:the Fair Play Points are the stupidest thing in Youth Hockey. They put teams that have no busness being in the playoffs, and it gives them a good seed, while the good teams dont get very good seeds. the Fair Play Points should only be used as a tie breaker. fair play points suck
Why are we talking about FFP in this thread?
egf hockey1

Post by egf hockey1 »

if the teams are that good then why aren't they getting their FPP? They help in ugly games because the teams don't want to do anything stupid to lose that point, even though the game is out of hand. Every coach knows how important that point can be even early in the season. D16 has had questions about home teams never losing their FPP, which falls on the judgement of the officials. The FPP system definately has its advantages and disadvantages.

Again that is not what this topic is about.
watchdog

egf

Post by watchdog »

egf i respect you a great deal for what you have said. i really dont think anyone thinks this is the norm from egf and i know it does happen from time to time for one reason or another. when i started this thread i was hoping everyone would read and try to remember in the future why we should keep comments to a minimum. everyone says things once in ahwile we all just need to know when to draw the line. every team or every group of parents really needs a refresher course on sportsmanship. heck we have eliminated it as a trophy in our tourneys
6ampractice

Post by 6ampractice »

Watchdog, I applaud you for your post. The constant pissing and moaning regarding the refs, the calls they make, or dont make, is becoming ridiculous. Game after game, some parents from the opposing team, and some from ours, moan about a every call. Over the last few years I have seen this attitude adopted by some of the players, they find it OK to question, argue, and physically show thier displeasure (hands in the air, stick slapping the ice) We as parents and coaches are teaching them these things, and more importantly teaching them that these things are acceptable. It is unfortunate that some seem to attatch all of thier attention to a misunderstanding of the rules. Being up to date on all of the changes in subsection B of rule change 205, ammemdment to article 605 in appendix XVII, does not change your ability to voice your opinion. Kudos also to egf, my guess is that you are appologizing on behalf of others. Which is unneccesary but more than likely appreciated.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

It's too bad all officials don't follow the zero tolerance rules regarding coaching and player complaints.

50% to 75% of the new young officials don't make it past 2 years, and this post lays out why that happens.

The best thing to happen to some of these parents and coaches would be to have their children get a start in the officiating program. All of a sudden there is a different light shed on the calls being made on the ice.
northfan

Post by northfan »

watchdog wrote:i attended a squirt game in roseau yesterday wittnessing some of the worst sportsmanship i have ever seen from parents,players,and coaches from egf or otherwise. A few comments from the stands on marginal calls is really normal in this day and age and probley always has been. what people really need to think about is when you find yourself screaming and yelling out homer after every call you really need to step back and find some help for yourself or use some self control at some point. the kids after the final buzzer of the game were all slaming their sticks on the ice up against the boards. two of them even slashed two of the roseau players after the buzzer. i dont blame the kids at all you have the coach crying to the ref the whole game parents yelling at the refs the whole game the kids have been taught the behavior from those they trust the most. roseau had the most penalties in the game. i didnt see any really bad calls it was a ruff dirty game right from the start. one of the calls that drew alot of hollering was at the end of the game egf pulled their goalie and before he was even half way to the bench the player going out was joining the play in the roseau end of the ice. the ref blew the wistle and put the faceoff at center ice they should of recieved a minor for two many players. so when are we gona get a grip? myself and everyone out their needs to take a deep breath and remember these people (refs) and our kids need us adults to have some respect and grow up.
Is this the team Eades coaches?
watchdog

answer

Post by watchdog »

yes to answer your question north fan. we had distrects in roseau this past weekend and everyone showed good sportsmanship. one game warroad was totally hosed on one call that put them down two kids and hardley a peep im not sure i could of been that quiet very impressive i thought. distrect 16 has 4 great teams and it was very fun to watch.