State AA champs

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

will the rams repeat next year

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 71

hockeystud1234

State AA champs

Post by hockeystud1234 »

Roseau rams are the class AA champs by beating grand rapids they finished of 29-2-0 go rams
gatzke

Post by gatzke »

we are possibly witnessing a new dynasty unfold, they got a lot of talent in that sophmore class.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

gatzke wrote:we are possibly witnessing a new dynasty unfold, they got a lot of talent in that sophmore class.
They certainly have the talent but look at how many good teams there are and how difficult the odds are particularly in a one game series. I think they can but don't know if they will.
gatzke

Post by gatzke »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
gatzke wrote:we are possibly witnessing a new dynasty unfold, they got a lot of talent in that sophmore class.
They certainly have the talent but look at how many good teams there are and how difficult the odds are particularly in a one game series. I think they can but don't know if they will.
totally agree, they got the potential and they got one under the belt, but you're right, there are a lot of teams that are really good. Plus it depends on if Ness, Lee, Landman, etc. decide to stay in Roseau throughout high school, or if they want to go of to juniors. I hope not cause they will be fun to watch in '08 and '09.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

gatzke wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
totally agree, they got the potential and they got one under the belt, but you're right, there are a lot of teams that are really good. Plus it depends on if Ness, Lee, Landman, etc. decide to stay in Roseau throughout high school, or if they want to go of to juniors. I hope not cause they will be fun to watch in '08 and '09.
I really hope they stick around. How many NHL players have said the MN State Tournament was the best experience they had in hockey? They can always go to juniors after high school too.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Can they win it all again yes. Will they. Odds are against it but I wouldn't bet against them. Lets not forget they beat three teams not even ranked in the top ten most of the year in Woodbury, Century, and Rapids at state. Don't get me wrong they are a great team, but just putting things in perspective. A lot of things have to fall in place to win a repeat state title.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

I will predict roseau the champs next year 08
highschoolhockeyfan

Post by highschoolhockeyfan »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:I will predict roseau the champs next year 08
would not be supprised there best two players are 10th graders
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

highschoolhockeyfan wrote:
PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:I will predict roseau the champs next year 08
would not be supprised there best two players are 10th graders
It didn't seem to help Cretin after winning last year and returning many top players.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

SEC Scotty wrote:Can they win it all again yes. Will they. Odds are against it but I wouldn't bet against them. Lets not forget they beat three teams not even ranked in the top ten most of the year in Woodbury, Century, and Rapids at state. Don't get me wrong they are a great team, but just putting things in perspective. A lot of things have to fall in place to win a repeat state title.
Agreed- all good points
RamFan2010!

Post by RamFan2010! »

Very Possible..... I think we'll be able to get by Moorhead, but who knows anything can happen. Our Super Sophs are still gonna be there to carry us through along with some good JV players that may move up.... Lee will be great in net and get the job done like no other.
gatzke

Post by gatzke »

Roseau hockey players tend to let success go to their heads sometimes, aka cockiness. If they can mentally start from scratch next year and focus on each game rather than the prize at they end they should be able to do it.

Look at the Spuds, AHA, CDH, etc. this year they all looked passed their section thinking it would be a cakewalk and they lost. Anything can happen.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

In a one and your done playoff system, a bad bounce, a hot goalie, or an overzealous referee can end a season. Roseau could suffer the same fate next season.
GophyFan18

Post by GophyFan18 »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
gatzke wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote: They certainly have the talent but look at how many good teams there are and how difficult the odds are particularly in a one game series. I think they can but don't know if they will.
I really hope they stick around. How many NHL players have said the MN State Tournament was the best experience they had in hockey? They can always go to juniors after high school too.

I totally agree with that. Playing in the MN state tourney would be the highlight of my career if I were a pro player. I know that for a fact. I just don't think there would be a better experience in a Minnesota boy's hockey career. I suppose you could say a Stanley cup would be it, but they'd still look back on a state tourney championship as being one of the best experiences, if not the best.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

I would say no (odds)...I'm all for yes...but sometimes I think people underestimate the difficulty in winning one of these.

Take the old rams...had maybe one of the best teams in hs hockey history and could not win it all...one of the players went on to win a national college title, a gold medal and a stanley cup...but never got to win the mshl tournament.
juicymailbox

Post by juicymailbox »

they amy not repeat, but they will be there.
rozofan

Post by rozofan »

GophyFan18 wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote:
gatzke wrote: totally agree, they got the potential and they got one under the belt, but you're right, there are a lot of teams that are really good. Plus it depends on if Ness, Lee, Landman, etc. decide to stay in Roseau throughout high school, or if they want to go of to juniors. I hope not cause they will be fun to watch in '08 and '09.
Even Neal Broten, who has won a national championchip, Hobey Baker award, an olympic Gold Medal, and a Stanley Cup, said that h

I totally agree with that. Playing in the MN state tourney would be the highlight of my career if I were a pro player. I know that for a fact. I just don't think there would be a better experience in a Minnesota boy's hockey career. I suppose you could say a Stanley cup would be it, but they'd still look back on a state tourney championship as being one of the best experiences, if not the best.

Even Neal Broten, who has won a national championship, Hobey Baker award, an olympic Gold Medal, and a Stanley Cup, said that he regrets not winning a state championship. He said it was the greatest experience of his life at the state tourney.
kvats12

Post by kvats12 »

gatzke wrote:Roseau hockey players tend to let success go to their heads sometimes, aka cockiness. If they can mentally start from scratch next year and focus on each game rather than the prize at they end they should be able to do it.

Look at the Spuds, AHA, CDH, etc. this year they all looked passed their section thinking it would be a cakewalk and they lost. Anything can happen.
I completely agree with this one. Obviously though, cockiness comes and goes with certain players and often certain classes. I think next years chance of taking it all again will depend on how many losses they have during the season. If they lose a couple tough ones (2 losses to Moorhead this year) their heads should be there to take it again. Honestly, i think those 2 losses this year gave them the extra boost during playoffs. I watched all the games and even thought they were a completely different team defensively during the playoffs!
TKO_81

Post by TKO_81 »

Could Roseau repeat, yes. Will they, that is yet to be seen or proven. The champion won't be known until the horn sounds at the end of the State Championship game. Repeating in this state is a VERY DIFFICULT task. Heck, winning one state championship is something many teams won't ever accomplish. There are quite a few teams in this state that are rock solid and can win on a given night at a high level. Single elimination tournament games are very difficult to claw through without making season ending mistakes. It's WAY to early to realistically predict. [-X
carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy »

They very well could, but there is a lot of talent amongst many other teams in the state.

Contenders:

Roseau
Duluth East
Hill Murray
AHA
Jefferson
Edina
Centennial
Wayzata
Eden Prairie
iwatchalotofhockey

Tough to repeat but love to see it

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

Its tough enough to win it once much less twice. Way to early to even speculate on this one.

An opinion on mine is the best thing that happened to Roseau was losing last year. Why because that taste sucks. They had something to prove and the ducks were in a row and stars in alignment this year with 3 of 4 top ranked teams losing in the first round. Helluva a team that played the games they had to and won it all.

A similar comparsion could be said about Edina this year. One of the best teams in tourney but lost in first round. A lot of good kids coming back for next year so gonna be a pick as well for a potential title.

They have been a thorn in Roseau's side thru the youth program state tourneys over past few years so they would be a good bet to do what Roseau did this year. However I would love nothing more than to see Roseau make it back and match up against them next year. And beat the other green and White team!!! That would be one to watch!!!

But we cant predict the future. And for now quite frankly I will live in the present and say Congrats to Roseau. You know everyone will be gunning for you going in to next year. Good group coming back so time will tell.