Never forget

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

packerboy

Never forget

Post by packerboy »

Never forget what those cowards did.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

It is a good day for all of us to pray.

Catholics, Protestants, Muslims and non-believers within and without the USA should be asking that tomorrow may brings closer to treating others better. Regardless of all the things that are different about us.

If I offend some by asking them to pray; just remember that star filled night, the sunny day on the lake, or the peaceful time sitting in a deer stand. Remember the birth of your child or the love of your mother.
At any of those times you cannot tell me that you did not feel a power greater than yourself. So pray, in your way, for the safety of our soldiers and the souls of our enemies.

And be nice to the person that is not so nice to you.

Thanks, packerboy, for the image.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

You are welcome elliott.

Your suggestion is a good one.

It is difficult to know what to do; how to respond; which position to support.

But we never go wrong when we pray.
Knowlzee

Never Forget

Post by Knowlzee »

Pictures can say a 1000 words. Thanks for the reminder, Packerboy.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

I'll never forget how quiet the room was as nearly 50 co-workers and I watched the the first tower collapse live on TV.

No discussion, no reaction, nothing but silence for what must have been a half hour.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I was in my car coming back from a meeting when I got a call on my cell about that there had been some screw up and a plane flew into the tower.

I turned on the radio and then the events began to unfold.

I will never forget the look on President Bush's face when they interrupted him at a school to tell him of the attacks.

I will never forget the look on my coworkers faces when I got back to the office as they were packng up to go home as were closing due to the days events.

I will never forget the look on my childrens' faces when I got home and how upset and frightened they were.

I will never forget imagining what it must have been like to be on one of those planes and knowing what was going to happen.

I will never forget realizing that things would never be the same again.

I will never forget.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

I guess what bothers me the most is that we still have not got the bastard who is responsible for this :x

I agree we should never forget those innocent Mothers, Fathers, Sons, and Daughters, but that means being just as vigilant as the day it happened to capture and bring to justice the coward that is responsible..instead we as a government have bowed to other governments, as it appears relations with them are more important then those hero's that lost there lives on this day so many years ago..and for that I as an American I am ashamed.

Our president said it did not matter where they were, "your either with us or against us" but it was more talk then action.

I could go on and on but the point's been made, God Bless those that are the one's really trying to capture the evil one...and that's our troops....now please just untie their hands so they may succeed and come home!

8)
PuxRinmyblood

Post by PuxRinmyblood »

Well said Packerboy, and thanks.

I'll add one. I'll never forget briefing our manufacturing team on that horrible day. As I explained the day's events to the group, several of the older workers had tears rolling down their faces. Later when I asked why, I found that these folks (mostly born in SE Asia) had grown up with war and death and could not believe that such a thing was possible here in the United States.

I couldn't either. As crazy as things might get here in the US, we've still got it pretty good here.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

On 9/11/01, I was at work on the 4th floor at National City Bank in Gaviidae Common in downtown Minneapolis. I remember listening to Mike & Mike In the Morning, and at one point Mike Greenberg said something to the effect of "we're going try to continue on with the show, but a plane has crashed into the World Trade Center". I assumed he meant that some goofball flying a Cessna made a wrong turn or something, but for the heck of it, I flipped the channel on our internal network tv (used to run bank announcements) to NBC. About 2 minutes later, we saw the 2nd plane hit.

What was really interesting about that day was the people downtown. For those of you that haven't been to Gaviidae, it's a 6 floor, open atrium of a shopping center on the first 2 floors, and most of the bank operations were on floors 3-6. On the 3rd floor, we had a big "jumbotron" (for lack of a better word) screen that would run CNBC all day and could be seen throughout the building including the skyway. More often than not, people would stop for a minute or two just to see a stock symbol or two tick by, or they'd ignore it completely. That day, the entire skyway level and everybody to could lean over the edge of floors 3-6 to see that screen were there. There were hundreds (probably into the 1000's) of people just stopped in the usually hectic skyway staring at this screen watching what was going on. When the first tower started to fall, there was an audible gasp, and sporatic screams that had such a different tone than anything I've ever heard. You hear gasps and screams at movies or at ballgames - places that have tension that attract crowds - but this sound was something I've never heard before or since. I'll never forget it.

Shortly after the first tower fell, a handful of people started to work their way through the crowd in the skyway trying to get out. I presumed that it was because of the confusion that day, and the fear that we were right next to the IDS Center... nobody knew what was going on, and if tall buildings were being targeted, we were certainly in the wrong place.

Every year about this time, I force myself to sit down and watch both 9/11 & In Memoriam: New York City 9/11 (the HBO documentary which is very painful to watch) so that it stays fresh in my mind and that none of my memories fade - although I'm not sure they could anyway. I think it's an important thing for me to do so that I'll be able to teach my daughter who is 6 (and turns 7 in two days) about what we learned, and why it's important.
Last edited by Govs93 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Well said Govs.

Another excellent contribution.

While I think it is essential that we never forget, I am very glad that we have been able as people and a nation to move on.

Is it the same as before 9/11 ? No. Just walk into a courthouse or an airport. The war in Iraq still goes on.

But our way of life and the freedoms we enjoy are preserved.

They are not winning......we are.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

packerboy wrote:Well said Govs.

Another excellent contribution.

While I think it is essential that we never forget, I am very glad that we have been able as people and a nation to move on.

Is it the same as before 9/11 ? No. Just walk into a courthouse or an airport. The war in Iraq still goes on.

But our way of life and the freedoms we enjoy are preserved.

They are not winning......we are.
Packerboy - thank you for the topic.

I was in Hong Kong on business when these attacks on our country occurred. I have never felt so alone and isolated before (even winter camping in the northwoods doesn't compare) Was stuck an additional 10 days over there. I literally kissed the airport floor in customs back here in Mpls when I arrived.

What started the tears swelling was the landing and and having a view of Ft. Snelling cemetery (where my dad is buried) out my window just before touching down. There was clapping and cheering by all on the plane when the wheels hit the pavement.

I will never forget the sick feeling in my gut when the attacks happened. I will never forget the elation and pride I felt when I got home. The hugs from the kids and wife were the best ever.

I will never walk through an airport without thanking all the military personnel I come across.

This is the world's greatest country and if you don't think so, please let me be the first to help you swiftly exit.
fighting all who rob or plunder
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

I'll never forget it, either.

The whole day seems like a blur now, from the initial reports on the radio of the first tower being hit, everybody trying to follow what was going on over internet news sites which quickly were overwhelmed and slowed to a crawl, up to the second tower collapsing.

The strangest part of the day was (a pre-planned visit) I had to go see our travel agent that afternoon and put down the deposit on a trip to Hawaii, which started exactly six months later. The agents were glued to their TV's and I found myself wondering what the heck the status of any flight was going to be in six months, and what would be changed.

It was a tragedy unlike any I can remember.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006