Ryan leaving Twins

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuxRinmyblood

Ryan leaving Twins

Post by PuxRinmyblood »

StarTrib claims Ryan stepping down. Announcement this afternoon.
quickgym guy

Re: Ryan leaving Twins

Post by quickgym guy »

PuxRinmyblood wrote:StarTrib claims Ryan stepping down. Announcement this afternoon.
This should make the off season interesting...
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

An already interesting offseason takes a new and unexpected turn! This is very interestng. I wonder if the expiring contracts coming up, the likelihood that they won't all be resigned and the ensuing fallout have something to do with this. It's very interesting.

for the most part, the same "regime" has been in place since 1986 when Andy MacPhail came in and he picked up TR as an assistant GM. Looks like it will continue with Bill SMith (TR's assistant) stepping in. I don't anything about the guy, but I wonder if he'll have the same "no offense" mentality.

By the way, did I mention that this is very interesting?!
PuxRinmyblood

Post by PuxRinmyblood »

A deeper read in the story seems to indicate that they've got an internal guy ready to take over, and that Ryan will stay on as a " senior advisor" for scouting or something like that.

Anyone want to guess on what the reason for his leaving will be? One would think that the prospect of trying to re-sign Hunter, Santana, Nathan, et.al. in the near future would make anybody think of retirement.
boblee

post 8285

Post by boblee »

Hopeuflly this new guy won't be afraid to pull the trigger
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Maybe it's GMtana :o

8)
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

While PB applauds Terry Ryan's resignation, he believes that their choice of Bill Smith over GMtana was a bad move. :lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Govs93 wrote:While PB applauds Terry Ryan's resignation, he believes that their choice of Bill Smith over GMtana was a bad move. :lol:
Damn! Too late.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

You know the first thing that occurred to me is that this is .........very interesting.

Has Andy Mcphail made him an offer he cant refuse?

The Pohlads would not fire him and he wouldnt just quit without another job.

Maybe he is just sick of it.

We have all ripped him but he has had a tough job and has done well in spite of the restraints.

I would like to see how he would do with a salary budget somehwre in between what he has and the Yankees.

Interesting.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Wait, this just in:

The Twins are expected to announce at a 2:00 PM press conference that they expect to replace GM Terry Ryan with a whole team of big brains to guide them through what is expected to be a, shall we say, interesting off season.

Brad Radke, who blew out his shoulder but certainly not his mind will return to the Twins organization as part of the team. "We were impressed with Brads comments during the '06 season criticizing management and the 3rd base coach" a source inside the organizaion was quoted as saying.

As expected, Radke will be joined by what many believe to be the first player /GM in baseball history, Johan Sanatana.
GMtana , as he is known in some circles, will be in charge of offensive player acquisition.

"We think his pitching was offensive enough in key games so as to prove to us he was qualified for the role"The same source said.

Who the other members of the team will be is not yet known.

Reliable sources, however, have indicated that many minnhock posters are being considered for the position. "Heck, we get most of our ideas from readin them anyways" a Twins official stated.
Can't Never Tried

=D> =D> =D>

Nice article PB you been lunching with grampa sports from the Red Star??

8)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Yup , we hang at Murray's all the time.

Great young guy.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:Interesting.
You know, I wholeheartedly agree with this. :P

I honestly don't know what do make of this. The guy has always had a remarkable ability to assess talent (at least pitching & defense), and it's pulled the team out of the misery that was the mid-late 90's. But it was always clear that he lacked "guts" (for lack of a better word).

Sure, there were always payroll issues, but every year there have been experienced, consistent bats that have been aquired elsewhere on the cheap, and the Twins have never really picked up one. They've developed a couple (Morneau, Hunter, Cuddyer, J. Jones), but there doesn't seem to be much hope behind that group. If there's no help coming from the minors, and guys like Hunter and Morneau get away, then what?

Maybe this new fella can find a way to balance things out a little bit more than TR did.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

TR made this team. I will say that he has had a rough couple of last years, but based on our payroll we could easily be with the likes of the Royals. He made some very good moves and got us a handful of division titles. I do like the idea of new blood, but in no way would I say good riddance. Terry Ryan was and will always be one of the better GMs especially for a small market team.

I like the idea of GMtana. :lol:

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

packerboy wrote:Wait, this just in:

As expected, Radke will be joined by what many believe to be the first player /GM in baseball history, Johan Sanatana.
GMtana , as he is known in some circles, will be in charge of offensive player acquisition.

"We think his pitching was offensive enough in key games so as to prove to us he was qualified for the role"The same source said.

How funny was that? Image

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:TR made this team. I will say that he has had a rough couple of last years, but based on our payroll we could easily be with the likes of the Royals. He made some very good moves and got us a handful of division titles. I do like the idea of new blood, but in no way would I say good riddance. Terry Ryan was and will always be one of the better GMs especially for a small market team.

I like the idea of GMtana. :lol:

:idea:
If I came across with a "good riddance" demeanor, I didn't mean to. I agree that TR did a very good job of making this team competitive and keeping it that way. Could he have done more? I don't know, I really don't. I'm not on the inside, and I can only base opinions on transactions being made around the league and "guesstimating" where the Twins would fall within them.

The article quotes an unspecified GM as saying "they should name the new stadium after him". I don't necessarily disagree. He brought them back from the dead. The team was drawing 12,000 for games in the mid 90's, and a handful of years later they're winning back-to-back-to-back division titles and regularly drawing 30,000. It really is remarkable.

I just wonder if maybe a fresh outlook might not make a big difference. Maybe it was time for another look, that's all. I appreciate everythig the guy did - it's not to say that I don't have a lot of questions about the way he did (or didn't do) things the last few years - but I am grateful for the way he put them back on the map.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

packerboy wrote:Wait, this just in:

The Twins are expected to announce at a 2:00 PM press conference that they expect to replace GM Terry Ryan with a whole team of big brains to guide them through what is expected to be a, shall we say, interesting off season.

Brad Radke, who blew out his shoulder but certainly not his mind will return to the Twins organization as part of the team. "We were impressed with Brads comments during the '06 season criticizing management and the 3rd base coach" a source inside the organizaion was quoted as saying.

Who the other members of the team will be is not yet known.

Reliable sources, however, have indicated that many minnhock posters are being considered for the position. "Heck, we get most of our ideas from readin them anyways" a Twins official stated.
Great reporting PB, the news never stops and we have some of the best people and moles in the business, to report their business.

As for TR, extend him, promote him, fire him, re-assign him, demote him, it doesn't matter, the Twins are a system on the field and in the office, to them all pieces are replaceable/interchangeable and their philosophy won't change.
Can't Never Tried

[quote="Irishmans Shanty
As for TR, extend him, promote him, fire him, re-assign him, demote him, it doesn't matter, the Twins are a system on the field and in the office, to them all pieces are replaceable/interchangeable and their philosophy won't change.
Sounds almost like that union talk :lol:

8)
Irishmans Shanty

Ron Gardenhire is blown away by the news being
delivered by his new boss, Brad Radke, about today's
shake up in the Twins' front office.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Interesting.

Very intresting.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Good article about Terry Ryan in the Strib today. He is going out on his own terms and still gets to work with the team. I couldn't believe he is only 54 years old.
Irishmans Shanty

breakout wrote:Good article about Terry Ryan in the Strib today. He is going out on his own terms and still gets to work with the team. I couldn't believe he is only 54 years old.
You'd never guess Terry Ryan was only a junior when Julio Franco was on the freshman team.

I don't get it, Tom Kelly looked like he was 56 when he was 36, TR looks 74 when he's 54, makes me wonder if old Carl is still in his 70's.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:
breakout wrote:Good article about Terry Ryan in the Strib today. He is going out on his own terms and still gets to work with the team. I couldn't believe he is only 54 years old.
You'd never guess Terry Ryan was only a junior when Julio Franco was on the freshman team.

I don't get it, Tom Kelly looked like he was 56 when he was 36, TR looks 74 when he's 54, makes me wonder if old Carl is still in his 70's.

Carl is actually 62
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

breakout wrote:Carl is actually 62
But then you have to apply the dog year thing right?
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
breakout

Post by breakout »

Neutron 14 wrote:
breakout wrote:Carl is actually 62
But then you have to apply the dog year thing right?

Of course :lol: