Skipping Senior year

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BERG RENOLZ

Skipping Senior year

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

Can a high school hockey player skip their senior year and play college hockey? I don't think you can do this, but I'm not positive. I've heard a rumor that a certain high school hockey player that's currently a junior plans to do this. Apparently this came from the horses mouth, but I think it's bogus. So, I guess my question is, is this even possible?
Gopher Blog

Re: Skipping Senior year

Post by Gopher Blog »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:Can a high school hockey player skip their senior year and play college hockey? I don't think you can do this, but I'm not positive. I've heard a rumor that a certain high school hockey player that's currently a junior plans to do this. Apparently this came from the horses mouth, but I think it's bogus. So, I guess my question is, is this even possible?
Yes, a player can "accelerate" his education. Basically the player will take an increased academic workload for a period of time so he can graduate a year sooner.

Phil Kessel, Jim O'Brien, and Jonathan Toews are some recent examples of players that have done this. Aaron Ness and Jordan Schroeder are two examples of players who are planning on graduating a year early so they can play college hockey in 2008.
BERG RENOLZ

Post by BERG RENOLZ »

Gopher Blog wrote:
BERG RENOLZ wrote:Can a high school hockey player skip their senior year and play college hockey? I don't think you can do this, but I'm not positive. I've heard a rumor that a certain high school hockey player that's currently a junior plans to do this. Apparently this came from the horses mouth, but I think it's bogus. So, I guess my question is, is this even possible?
Yes, a player can "accelerate" his education. Basically the player will take an increased academic workload for a period of time so he can graduate a year sooner.

Phil Kessel, Jim O'Brien, and Jonathan Toews are some recent examples of players that have done this. Aaron Ness and Jordan Schroeder are two examples of players who are planning on graduating a year early so they can play college hockey in 2008.
Cool, thanks man! I wasn't clear on that. You have to have your high school diploma, correct? I heard Ness was doing that, but a small town has a lot of rumors.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

BERG RENOLZ wrote:Cool, thanks man! I wasn't clear on that. You have to have your high school diploma, correct? I heard Ness was doing that, but a small town has a lot of rumors.
Yes, you have to receive your diploma.