Resurgence of the North?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Resurgence of the North?

Post by MNHockeyFan »

The Northern teams had a very good week against some of the highly rated Metro teams. Some examples were:

Grand Rapids/Greenway beating Benilde 3-2
Warroad upsetting Hill Murray 2-1 and tying Eden Prairie 1-1
Moorhead over Holy Angels 4-2
Proctor tipping South St. Paul 2-1

I may be missing a few others. But is this the start of a trend, or are these just fluky upsets?
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Pretty impressive wins by the north. Too many victories to be fluky. Hopefully it will result in some good old North v South rivalries at State.
northhockey

Post by northhockey »

PHM also beat North St. Paul on Saturday 4-2
Northland

Post by Northland »

northhockey wrote:PHM also beat North St. Paul on Saturday 4-2
HOMERS>>> :lol:

twowayplay

Post by twowayplay »

Who is PHM?
boblee

post 8722

Post by boblee »

twowayplay wrote:Who is PHM?
Proctor/Hermantown/Marshall
keepitreal

Post by keepitreal »

Bemidji knocks off #7 Holy Angels, Grand Rapids destroys Cretin in the quarterfinals of the Edina tournament.

Meanwhile up at the Schwan Cup, class A Warroad upsets #4 AA Hopkins to move to the championship game of the top (blue) division, and #10 Duluth goes to the finals in the red division.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

keepitreal wrote:Bemidji knocks off #7 Holy Angels, Grand Rapids destroys Cretin in the quarterfinals of the Edina tournament.

Meanwhile up at the Schwan Cup, class A Warroad upsets #4 AA Hopkins to move to the championship game of the top (blue) division, and #10 Duluth goes to the finals in the red division.
Not to mention Cloquet's shootout win over Elk River...
BCGHockey

Post by BCGHockey »

The most impressive thing about the Bemidji win is they do it without S. Erickson. Maybe this does show it's a team game!
ice29

Post by ice29 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
keepitreal wrote:
Not to mention Cloquet's shootout win over Elk River...

Also, Silver Bay's (class A) wins over Forest Lake (AA) 3-1 and Cambridge-Isanti (AA) 5-3 in Schwan Cup red division. Another good showing by a small northern school in a class AA dominated Red Division.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

A few of the northern teams took a small step back yesterday, but as they say you can't win them all.

Blake 4, Warroad 2
Irondale 2, Cloquet 0
Minnetonka 3, Duluth 1
Blaine 5, Bemidji 4
Spring Lake Park 2, East Grand Forks 1

Overall though it's been a great season for the northern teams. Grand Rapids/Greenway looks especially impressive - I don't know if anyone else out there is playing better hockey at the moment.
boblee

post 9059

Post by boblee »

From what I have seen, the Lightning are currently the best team in the state. (Keep in mind I have not seen Stillwater or EP yet), but there are still ten games left on the schedule, tons of season left.
justafan

Post by justafan »

boblee - but have you seen Blake? Doing pretty good top to bottom I'd say with great team speed and several players piling up the points. Solid goaltending too from Gallager, an east coast transfer that I'd put right up there with Jondal, the other new goalie in the minnesota scene. With a nice win over Warroad (who tied EP earlier this season) they contend for #1 IMHO.

Go Bears!
lake5270

Silver Bay / Duluth

Post by lake5270 »

Among the Class A schools, Silver Bay did well in the Schwan's Cup, playing Mayo tough and beating two AA schools in Cambridge/ Isanti and Forest Lake. Its great for all North teams when a small A team can have success against the "big guys."

The success of Duluth, Warroad, and Cloquet in the Schwan's certainly continued to show they belong among the elite teams in the state.
OntheEdge

Re: post 9059

Post by OntheEdge »

boblee wrote:From what I have seen, the Lightning are currently the best team in the state. (Keep in mind I have not seen Stillwater or EP yet), but there are still ten games left on the schedule, tons of season left.
The Lightning is definitely impressive and in my opinion one of the top teams in the State. It would be interesting to see how they would do against EP and Blake. I think Stillwater was a very outstanding team but I don't know what effect losing their star will be on their future. I think the Lightning is playing better than Edina and should win in Grand Rapids this Friday.
iceit

Post by iceit »

GRG is the best team I have seen play this year. They have super individual talent but seem to know how to play as a TEAM. their forwards back check HARD and work the whole ice. They were impressive in Edina this weekend. Would've liked to see the Stillwater match up with everyone healthy, right now they get my vote.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Ditto about GRG. The best I have seen. Fast, skilled and seem to have that intangible "hockey sense."
ice29

Post by ice29 »

A very good year for alot of the Northern teams, from AA to A!
AA
GRG #2
Duluth #10
PHM #11
Cloquet #12
A
Warroad #2
Alexandria #3 (I'll say "kinda-north central)
Roseau #5
Hibbing #7
Crookston #8
Silver Bay #10

A very competitive scheduling of games this year, with a great mix of top southern teams has put these teams at the top of their game. A majority of these teams have played against each other (A vs. AA also) and produced alot of exciting hockey, with some unpredictable results. Unfortunately only (1) will represent the north in 7AA and (3) in 6A-7A-8A, I know all the teams will supporting their section winner at State.

:D :D
Good Luck to all Section Winners and especially to all the Girls that participated in High School Girls Hockey this Year!! I believe next year will be even more exciting and competitive.
cluelessinminnesota

Is Duluth the best team in 7AA?

Post by cluelessinminnesota »

Who is going to win this Saturday? Edina vs Duluth?
OntheEdge

Re: Is Duluth the best team in 7AA?

Post by OntheEdge »

cluelessinminnesota wrote:Who is going to win this Saturday? Edina vs Duluth?
Good question Clueless! I haven't seen Duluth but Edina is young and inconsistent. If Edina plays like they did against Minnetonka last Tuesday they will lose, however, Edina is capable of playing very well. It depends on which Edina team shows up. My guess is that it will be a very close low scoring game and that Duluth will win by one goal.
boblee

post 9825

Post by boblee »

cluelessinminnesota wrote:Who is going to win this Saturday? Edina vs Duluth?
Edina should.
trojangoalie241

Post by trojangoalie241 »

I haven't seen Edina play but what I have seen of Duluth is that they have been playing with a lot of fire recently and they look ready.
boblee

post 9829

Post by boblee »

trojangoalie241 wrote:I haven't seen Edina play but what I have seen of Duluth is that they have been playing with a lot of fire recently and they look ready.
Right now I would put Edina in my top 10 (probably my top 6-7) but I would not put Duluth in the top 10.
southern-cross-check

Post by southern-cross-check »

can I just add that resurgence is such a neat word.

more to the point, as a suggestion for boblee et all who have their finger on the pulse of girls hockey, it would be interesting to see a quirky trivia poll on the forum. A jeapordy style one maybe?

Who is the team/player/coach/school/etc that accomplished x/y/z

or some such thing
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Minnesota named their 17 players to go to U15 NDP Rochester, NY and there is a higher concentration of out state players 10 - many from the north. Last year I think there were only three U15 from outside of the metro area E. Grand Forks, Warroad, Red Wing.

Goalies
Dist 16 Amsley‐Benzie, Shelby Roosevelt Warroad Under 14A

Defense

Dist 2 Hewes, Caitlin Stillwater Stillwater Varsity
Dist 16 Johnston, Hannah Warroad Warroad Under 14A
Dist 1 McMillen, Milica St Paul Breck HS, Varsity
Dist 1 Middlebrook, Delaney Minneapolis St. Paul United, Varsity
Dist 11 Ryan, Jesse Cloquet Highland Central U14 A
Dist 11 Stauber , Emma Duluth Mirage Varsity

Forwards

Dist 2 Brandt, Hannah Vadnais Heights Hill‐Murray Varsity
Dist 5 Carlson, Sara Hutchinson Hutchinson High School Varsity