St. Thomas going AA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thetender30

St. Thomas going AA

Post by thetender30 »

Does anyone eles think that St.Thomas should go AA. They beat most of the good AA teams in the regular season and when sections come around its a walk in the park from them to make it to state and they have success there also.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Absolutely, they should go AA.
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

No, they should be happy to go to the "B" team tourney every year :roll:
rams80

Post by rams80 »

They should suck it up and play with the big boys like tiny little Roseau!
wblsuperfan A

STA

Post by wblsuperfan A »

Sure, let's throw 'em in section 3AA.
STC18

Post by STC18 »

They should play in AA, no doubt.
Ben Dover plays BOTH ways.
Jack

Post by Jack »

No. Who was St. Thomas Academy five years ago? Private schools come and go with talent, and fit within the class they are placed.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club
defenseman7

Post by defenseman7 »

No. Who was St. Thomas Academy five years ago? Private schools come and go with talent, and fit within the class they are placed.

thats a retarded statement. theyve proved their a single A dynasty. Therefore they should stop dominating all the smaller single A teams a test how good they really are in the AA sections/state tourney
komada77

Post by komada77 »

Jack wrote:No. Who was St. Thomas Academy five years ago? Private schools come and go with talent, and fit within the class they are placed.
Hill-Murray comes and goes with talent?
MNsGreatest#2

Post by MNsGreatest#2 »

They will now with the new Golden Rule on transfers. :D :D
Jack

Retarded

Post by Jack »

Retarded? St. Thomas Academy visited the state tournament in 99, 05, 06, and 07. Calling them a single A dynasty with just four state appearances is what I would like to call an uneducated statement.

Hill-Murray is the one exception to the rule. Now they HAVE proven themselves to be a dynasty. AHA, Breck, Blake, and a few others have their years, but nothing to get excited about in the long run.

Just let the good times role for St. Thomas Academy right now.
wbmd

Re: Retarded

Post by wbmd »

Jack wrote:Retarded? St. Thomas Academy visited the state tournament in 99, 05, 06, and 07. Calling them a single A dynasty with just four state appearances is what I would like to call an uneducated statement.

Hill-Murray is the one exception to the rule. Now they HAVE proven themselves to be a dynasty. AHA, Breck, Blake, and a few others have their years, but nothing to get excited about in the long run.

Why's that? Because you don't honestly think that your beloved Cadets could compete in the AA Tournament?!!
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

defenseman7 wrote:No. Who was St. Thomas Academy five years ago? Private schools come and go with talent, and fit within the class they are placed.

thats a retarded statement. theyve proved their a single A dynasty. Therefore they should stop dominating all the smaller single A teams a test how good they really are in the AA sections/state tourney

Warroad, Rochester Lourdes, Duluth Marshall, and Fergus Falls have also been to 3 straight class A tourney's since 2000, and Orono had a stretch of going 4 out of 5 years. Should they all move up to AA?
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Just wait for BIAFP. He'll let you know what they should do.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Neutron 14

Re: Retarded

Post by Neutron 14 »

Jack wrote:Retarded? St. Thomas Academy visited the state tournament in 99, 05, 06, and 07. Calling them a single A dynasty with just four state appearances is what I would like to call an uneducated statement.

Boys, just read this post and understand what your dealing with. AHA is a flash in the pan? Jack doesn't know Jack. Add him to the list.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

I looked up STA's enrollment and it was 1082. Because they are an all-boys school, they have a male population that is equivalent of a school like Edina or Centennial, if you assume a 50-50 male-female split, and they have about the 20 highest male enrollment . So yes, I think they should opt up. Hill-Murray, Holy Angels and BSM are all private co-ed schools that have opted up with a smaller overall enrollment
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

scoreboard33 wrote:I looked up STA's enrollment and it was 1082. Because they are an all-boys school, they have a male population that is equivalent of a school like Edina or Centennial, if you assume a 50-50 male-female split, and they have about the 20 highest male enrollment . So yes, I think they should opt up. Hill-Murray, Holy Angels and BSM are all private co-ed schools that have opted up with a smaller overall enrollment
Since its an all boys school, they doubled the enrollment numbers listed in the MSHSL website. That means they have an enrollment of 541 students.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Why's that? Because you don't honestly think that your beloved Cadets could compete in the AA Tournament?!!
The Cadets have proven they can compete with the big dogs right now, but just a couple good years doesn't mean a thing.
Boys, just read this post and understand what your dealing with. AHA is a flash in the pan? Jack doesn't know Jack. Add him to the list.
AHA has been to the state tournament in 99, 02, 03, 04, and 05. Until Trebil joined the program they were just another nobody. Yes, they are working on a dynasty, but have yet to fulfill it.

I tried to find information as to how long each of these hockey programs have been in existence, but the info for each was limited.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

RLStars wrote:
scoreboard33 wrote:I looked up STA's enrollment and it was 1082. Because they are an all-boys school, they have a male population that is equivalent of a school like Edina or Centennial, if you assume a 50-50 male-female split, and they have about the 20 highest male enrollment . So yes, I think they should opt up. Hill-Murray, Holy Angels and BSM are all private co-ed schools that have opted up with a smaller overall enrollment
Since its an all boys school, they doubled the enrollment numbers listed in the MSHSL website. That means they have an enrollment of 541 students.
Thanks for clearing that up, that pretty much ruins the point of my entire post.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

scoreboard33 wrote:
RLStars wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up, that pretty much ruins the point of my entire post.
Not really, just add this about Roseau:
Enrollment (9-12): 410

Now figure half are female and you have 205 boys competing for a roster spot on a AA HS hockey team. Last seasons AA hockey champs no less.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

I think it's hilarious those who think St Thomas should opt give basically one reason, and if someone says something back that makes sense they are just called names with no real backing for why. I've posted my opinions many times and each time I'm only told how dumb I am instead of actually commenting on what I said.

I'm on the fence on this issue:
-If St Thomas should opt because they've been good for only THREE years with only one title in that time, why aren't we all sitting her saying that Warroad should opt? They have been good ever since high school hockey started. Why not Hermantown? Breck beat St Thomas this year, why not them? Marshall beat St Thomas last year, why not them? The reason I wouldn't think they should is if they do for the reason that's been put out there, many other programs should too, which defeats the point of a class system. Personally, I feel no teams should be allowed to opt, giving us a two great tournaments, instead of one that's laughed at.
-On the flip side, I personally feel they should opt up. For purely logical reasons. They go AA, they got rid of Breck, Lourdes and Red Wing and schedule AA teams instead. Then instead of 2, maybe 3, good opponents in the post season, there would be at 4-6, depending on the section.
Plus, they'd be competing at the level of Cretin, and quite possibly be put in the same section.

Yes, all you have changed me. I do think, in the current state of high school hockey, they should opt up. People on here make rude comments about the KIDS who play on the St Thomas team because of the class they're in. I'm sure many of them wish they were a AA team. You can call us names as much as you want, but we can't change what class they're in.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

HShockeywatcher wrote:but we can't change what class they're in.
:?:
The U invented swagger.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

As one of the more vocal private school posters on this board, the people of S.t Thomas not the team or coaches, but the AD and the board should step up to the plate and play with the big boys. They are a good team and have proven that they can skate with the AA teams. Step up, prove yourself. Actually I feel that all private schools, regardless of their size should be in class AA. They draw their kids from all over so they should be in the big tournament. Just my opinion....
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I think it's hilarious those who think St Thomas should opt give basically one reason, and if someone says something back that makes sense they are just called names with no real backing for why. I've posted my opinions many times and each time I'm only told how dumb I am instead of actually commenting on what I said.

-If St Thomas should opt because they've been good for only THREE years with only one title in that time, why aren't we all sitting her saying that Warroad should opt? They have been good ever since high school hockey started. Why not Hermantown? Breck beat St Thomas this year, why not them? Marshall beat St Thomas last year, why not them? The reason I wouldn't think they should is if they do for the reason that's been put out there, many other programs should too, which defeats the point of a class system. Personally, I feel no teams should be allowed to opt, giving us a two great tournaments, instead of one that's laughed at.
-On the flip side, I personally feel they should opt up. For purely logical reasons. They go AA, they got rid of Breck, Lourdes and Red Wing and schedule AA teams instead. Then instead of 2, maybe 3, good opponents in the post season, there would be at 4-6, depending on the section.
Plus, they'd be competing at the level of Cretin, and quite possibly be put in the same section.

Yes, all you have changed me. I do think, in the current state of high school hockey, they should opt up. People on here make rude comments about the KIDS who play on the St Thomas team because of the class they're in. I'm sure many of them wish they were a AA team. You can call us names as much as you want, but we can't change what class they're in.
A) You are right, Warroad should opt up.
B) You are being ridiculous saying Breck and Marshall should opt up solely because they beat STA. Should AHA go play a Shattuck like schedule and ditch the MSHSL because they beat Shattuck one year? Should the U.S. N.T.D.P. form a college and play in the WCHA because they beat Minnesota Duluth? Should Appalachian State opt up and join the Big 10 because they beat Michigan? That is one of the dumbest arguments I have heard.
C) Should Roseau, Hill-Murray, AHA and BSM be punished because they have a small enrollment and still are extraordinarily talented at hockey. You would lose a lot of AA state tournament teams and give no small school a chance to win the actual state title. If Roseau, AHA and Hill were in Class A just like every other program in the state.
D) STA should opt up and you are right.
E) Don't think that most of the players on STA are there for any other reason than hockey. There are a few who actually went to STA for the military school discipline or the eduactation, but most of the hockey players there, got to STA to play hockey. If they wanted to, they could go to hill, Cretin or other schools to play AA hockey badly enough.
F) STA can change what class they are in by opting up. Get together a group of alumni, boosters and parents of players, sign a petition, present it nicely to the AD and see what happens.

I only commented on your argument.
breakout

Post by breakout »

scoreboard33 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:I think it's hilarious those who think St Thomas should opt give basically one reason, and if someone says something back that makes sense they are just called names with no real backing for why. I've posted my opinions many times and each time I'm only told how dumb I am instead of actually commenting on what I said.

A) You are right, Warroad should opt up.
B) You are being ridiculous saying Breck and Marshall should opt up solely because they beat STA. Should AHA go play a Shattuck like schedule and ditch the MSHSL because they beat Shattuck one year? Should the U.S. N.T.D.P. form a college and play in the WCHA because they beat Minnesota Duluth? Should Appalachian State opt up and join the Big 10 because they beat Michigan? That is one of the dumbest arguments I have heard.
C) Should Roseau, Hill-Murray, AHA and BSM be punished because they have a small enrollment and still are extraordinarily talented at hockey. You would lose a lot of AA state tournament teams and give no small school a chance to win the actual state title. If Roseau, AHA and Hill were in Class A just like every other program in the state.
D) STA should opt up and you are right.
E) Don't think that most of the players on STA are there for any other reason than hockey. There are a few who actually went to STA for the military school discipline or the eduactation, but most of the hockey players there, got to STA to play hockey. If they wanted to, they could go to hill, Cretin or other schools to play AA hockey badly enough.
F) STA can change what class they are in by opting up. Get together a group of alumni, boosters and parents of players, sign a petition, present it nicely to the AD and see what happens.

I only commented on your argument.
What is an eduactation? Is that a private school thing?

Just bustin your stones :lol: