Northern Junior Gold

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

elliott70

Northern Junior Gold

Post by elliott70 »

Will any of the northern teams be able to unseed a metro league team for the state championship?
EREmpireStrikesBack

Re: Northern Junior Gold

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

elliott70 wrote:Will any of the northern teams be able to unseed a metro league team for the state championship?
No, it'll be just like the HS Tourney. Just too many kinds in the metro, population is a huge factor at a level like JG.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Will any of the northern teams be able to unseed a metro league team for the state championship?
No, it'll be just like the HS Tourney. Just too many kinds in the metro, population is a huge factor at a level like JG.

I can't hide from you.
:D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Moorhead, Duluth and Grand Rapids...
not sure if Chisholm would be at their level.

Which of those three has the best shot?
LaceEmUp17

Post by LaceEmUp17 »

[quote="EREmpireStrikesBack"][quote="elliott70"]Will any of the northern teams be able to unseed a metro league team for the state championship?[/quote]

:idea:[/quote]

What do you mean? Hasn't Roseau and Grand Rapids won the state High School Tournament the last two years?
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

LaceEmUp17 wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:

What do you mean? Hasn't Roseau and Grand Rapids won the state High School Tournament the last two years?
Rapids was in the final the last 2 years and Roseau won it last year.
mama's boy

Post by mama's boy »

All three can be competitive. Duluth beat Wayzata I belive and Rapids had one close game with Centennial in the championship game in Moorhead. They lost 3 to 2. You'll be seeing one of them in State
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

Of course a northern team can win. Last time I checked - ice is ice no matter where you live. Yes I understand the number of players may be larger in the cities - but many northern cities have a long tradition of hockey; Roseau, Warroad, Cloquet, Duluth, to name a few.

In many of those cities the desire to play hockey begins at an early age. And the last time I checked "zip codes" have nothing to do with winning hockey games.
buffJG4life07

Post by buffJG4life07 »

i play in the metro, and i have no clue how the northern teams work how do they get to playoff and such?
puckhead77

Post by puckhead77 »

Who do they play for league games? Duluth can't possibly travel to Grand Rapids on a Tuesday night for a game, so who do they play?
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

puckhead77 wrote:Who do they play for league games? Duluth can't possibly travel to Grand Rapids on a Tuesday night for a game, so who do they play?
Take a look at the section listings at: http://www.minnhock.com/sections.htm

Yes the northern teams do their share of traveling.

Another point of interest... there are cities up north (such as Roseau) that have rinks open to the public FOR FREE. Kids can go and play hockey all day long, year round. Is there any wonder why there are D1 recruits like Aaron Ness coming from small northern towns?

hope this helps.
JR.

Post by JR. »

MNHockeyStats wrote:
puckhead77 wrote:Who do they play for league games? Duluth can't possibly travel to Grand Rapids on a Tuesday night for a game, so who do they play?
Take a look at the section listings at: http://www.minnhock.com/sections.htm

Yes the northern teams do their share of traveling.

Another point of interest... there are cities up north (such as Roseau) that have rinks open to the public FOR FREE. Kids can go and play hockey all day long, year round. Is there any wonder why there are D1 recruits like Aaron Ness coming from small northern towns?

hope this helps.
Wait, you are talking about JG right? Your link to is to the high school hockey page.
MNHockeyStats

Post by MNHockeyStats »

Yes, the link was for High School... I was just trying to show who the Northern JGB teams would be playing if they have a JGB team in their particular city (not all do.) And since there isn't a lot of info published on JGB teams I used HS sections as an example.

It was more of a "guidelines" to help people understand who and where the northern teams can potentially play.
brew17ery

Post by brew17ery »

Duluth is only an hour away from grand rapids and yes we do play eachother on week days..other than that all our games are during the weekend at tournaments.. or sometimes teams such as wbl burnsville and moorhead come to play a weekend series..
JR.

Post by JR. »

MNHockeyStats wrote:Yes, the link was for High School... I was just trying to show who the Northern JGB teams would be playing if they have a JGB team in their particular city (not all do.) And since there isn't a lot of info published on JGB teams I used HS sections as an example.

It was more of a "guidelines" to help people understand who and where the northern teams can potentially play.
You do realize you're the only one talking about JGB in this thread.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

We'll see this weekend in GR, I'll be there!