Tipping

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Govs93

Tipping

Post by Govs93 »

I've always been unclear about various aspects of when to tip and how much, and since all of you guys seem to know everything (or think you do), I'm asking...

For example, if you call in a take-out order at a restaurant, you walk in, pay for your order with a credit/debit card, and you sign - do you fill in the tip line on that? If so, how much?
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

IMO tipping is service based.
At a restaraunt, or bar, I'll tip 20% min. and above that because it's based on service, if I get great service, with a smile...I'll go over that 20%.
But by the same token, if service is poor, and the effort is not there, I will reduce that......if it's really crappy, and they are crabby, not only will I not tip, I will explain why to the manager so that it can be corrected, most really appreciate this feedback, if they don't they lose my business, along with the word of mouth advertising.

Take out.... in my opinion not a tipping situation, unless it's delivered to your door, or possibly those like Applebee's that will run it out to your car.

Do you tip at BK or Wendys? I think not and I don't believe there is any difference between that and a pick up order.
:D
Jack

Post by Jack »

Can't Never Tried is completely right. Tip based upon the service received. If they are one of those places that "conveniently" adds the gratuity to your check, and the service sucks. Call the manager over, explain the situation, and have it taken off. Waiters/Waitresses today need to be reminded their tips are a privilege not a right.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club
Mr. McTabish

Post by Mr. McTabish »

You guys ever seen Reservoir Dogs?

I tip based on service, for the most part based on the same guidelines as Can't Never Try.

However, I'd like to add I will once in a while throw a dollar or two at a fast food restaurant cashier. You guys should too. They work as hard as any other waiter/waitress, and deal with the same stress and hassel. Not to mention, their eyes light up and it takes them by complete suprise. They are very appreciative to say the least, and I think you make their day.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

Mr. McTabish wrote:You guys ever seen Reservoir Dogs?

I tip based on service, for the most part based on the same guidelines as Can't Never Try.

However, I'd like to add I will once in a while throw a dollar or two at a fast food restaurant cashier. You guys should too. They work as hard as any other waiter/waitress, and deal with the same stress and hassel. Not to mention, their eyes light up and it takes them by complete suprise. They are very appreciative to say the least, and I think you make their day.
I have never seen Reservoir Dogs - but I have a feeling it is about my fear of what ends up in the food the next time. I combat this three ways in this type of food joint.
1) throwing a Washington or two like Mr. McTabish suggests
2) Giving bogus phone numbers since my # typically is blocked
3) changing my voice.

:lol: :lol:

I only have a chinese joint that I have to deal with regarding this situation
fighting all who rob or plunder
Mr. McTabish

Post by Mr. McTabish »

No, although that does happen on Fight Club. In the opening scene of Resevoir Dogs they are eating in a restaurant and have this tipping debate and the topic reminded me of it. And have good points for both sides of the argument, that's all.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Mr. McTabish wrote:No, although that does happen on Fight Club. In the opening scene of Resevoir Dogs they are eating in a restaurant and have this tipping debate and the topic reminded me of it. And have good points for both sides of the argument, that's all.
They also discuss "Like a Virgin"... care to elaborate on Tarantino's opinion of that?! :wink:

Here's another one that sometimes confuses me... say you wander up to the bar and order a beer - perhaps a green beer - it's costs maybe $2-$3, and you have no change. Do you throw $1 on the bar every time you order one and tip the guy 50% for opening a bottle??
Can't Never Tried

Govs93 wrote:
Mr. McTabish wrote:No, although that does happen on Fight Club. In the opening scene of Resevoir Dogs they are eating in a restaurant and have this tipping debate and the topic reminded me of it. And have good points for both sides of the argument, that's all.
They also discuss "Like a Virgin"... care to elaborate on Tarantino's opinion of that?! :wink:

Here's another one that sometimes confuses me... say you wander up to the bar and order a beer - perhaps a green beer - it's costs maybe $2-$3, and you have no change. Do you throw $1 on the bar every time you order one and tip the guy 50% for opening a bottle??
Do you want him to come back when your empty? :lol:

I've run into that too, mostly I'll try and run a tab and tip once, but yes, I usually end up throwing the dollar up there if I'm not going to be sitting there.

Or if I do reorder, and I tipped em a buck on the 1st one I figure I'm covered on the 2nd......after that things get kind of fuzzy :shock:

How about hotel staff? what's customary for bell hops, maids, etc.. I have more of a hard time deciding those situations...unless it's the companies money :D
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
How about hotel staff? what's customary for bell hops, maids, etc.. I have more of a hard time deciding those situations...unless it's the companies money :D
Dammit... I'll be on the road in a couple of weeks, and that hadn't even occured to me as another issue yet. THANKS! :roll:

What's the answer?!
Can't Never Tried

IDK
If I stay a couple night's and the maid was not banging on my door before I'm up, and took care of everything, I'll leave $10/night.

Bell hops Mehhh! I usually carry my own stuff in and out, but if I have some large items, or they get me a cab, or help me out $5 is usually sufficient for the 5 min they helped out.

Room service is tipped just like dinning room...if it's timely, what you ordered, and the dishes are picked up promptly afterwards, that's good service 20%.

My word of advice always ask for a room away from the ice machine :x
them things are so noisy...otherwise ask for reduced rate.

Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:IDK
If I stay a couple night's and the maid was not banging on my door before I'm up, and took care of everything, I'll leave $10/night.

Bell hops Mehhh! I usually carry my own stuff in and out, but if I have some large items, or they get me a cab, or help me out $5 is usually sufficient for the 5 min they helped out.

Room service is tipped just like dinning room...if it's timely, what you ordered, and the dishes are picked up promptly afterwards, that's good service 20%.

My word of advice always ask for a room away from the ice machine :x
them things are so noisy...otherwise ask for reduced rate.

Agreed with the bellhops - we'll only be there for 2 nights, so I should be able to throw my stuff into a duffle bag - don't need any help with that. We'll be stumbling distance from several bars & restaurants as well, so I don't give a rip about room service... besides, 20% on a $10 muffin?! Oof-da!

That leaves the maid. $20? I could probably handle that.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

What were the odds of CNT and Govs having a discussion about "tipping maids", and not having it locked?

Happy Day Shanty!!!
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
Can't Never Tried

Neutron 14 wrote:What were the odds of CNT and Govs having a discussion about "tipping maids", and not having it locked?

Happy Day Shanty!!!
Well you were just taking room service to the next level now weren't ya! :lol:
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Neutron 14 wrote:What were the odds of CNT and Govs having a discussion about "tipping maids", and not having it locked?

Happy Day Shanty!!!

Is "tipping maids" like tipping cows?

Just trying to steer it out of the gutter and lockdown...
It's hard to win when you always lose.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

ChrisK wrote:

Happy Day Shanty!!!

Is "tipping maids" like tipping cows?
The ones I saw in KC last year appeared to be one in the same.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

I leave the maids the spare change that I have that piles up after a couple days on the road. That way I do not have to worry about messing with it at the airport.

The door guys or the concierge, I take very good care of because they have more influence and control over some things that can be a difference maker.

When I had to be in Hong Kong for 4-6 weeks - you hooked your wagon (or rickshaw) to capable service people. Tip them extremely well at the beginning - give them something ordinary in the middle, and reward them well at the end.

If you stayed at the same motel you had some of the same service people for a long time. I had the same driver for over 4 years and a waitress for over 6 years.
fighting all who rob or plunder
Can't Never Tried

tomASS wrote: I had the same driver for over 4 years and a waitress for over 6 years.
I've had mine for 25 yrs :shock: 8-[

:lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
tomASS wrote: I had the same driver for over 4 years and a waitress for over 6 years.
I've had mine for 25 yrs :shock: 8-[

:lol:
I have a feeling she's saying the exact same thing about you... and I'd tend to believe her! :lol:
murraychadwick

Post by murraychadwick »

How about the Pizza Places that are now adding a "delivery charge." Does anyone know how much, if any, the driver gets off this?
Can't Never Tried

I used to give the delivery guy $5, because I wanted him to remember that when I called, and they usually get your order to ya toot sweet.
But now with the fuel cost I feel bad........ I mean $5 is what a gallon and a 1/2 of gas??

I don't know if the drivers get a pc of the delivery charge? if they are then I'd stick with $5.........seems fair :?

Lopresti

Post by Lopresti »

I, um, have a friend who was wondering about tipping for a table dance. If the dance costs $10, do I, I mean does he need to tip more than that?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Lopresti wrote:I, um, have a friend who was wondering about tipping for a table dance. If the dance costs $10, do I, I mean does he need to tip more than that?
CNT says it's service based, so let's think about it...

He gives $5 to the pizza dude who has to box up his blazing hot 'za, run out in the freezing cold to his car, drive his 1978 Cutlass at 55 MPH through residential areas while avoiding local law enforcement, get out of the car and back into the freezing cold while navigating CNT's unkempt icy death trap of a sidewalk and his ferocious Yorkie named "Snowball", hand over the pies, stand in the cold for several minutes while CNT goes to retrieve a check from "The Boss", then it's back down the sidewalk and the trek is repeated back to the pizza parlor.

Meanwhile, "Sparkles" at the club (heated club, mind you), wiggles around listening to music for 4 hours every night.

CNT says "Sparkles" gets 75 cents and the KFC coupons that arrived with the rest of your junk mail earlier in the day.
Can't Never Tried

Govs93 wrote:
Lopresti wrote:I, um, have a friend who was wondering about tipping for a table dance. If the dance costs $10, do I, I mean does he need to tip more than that?

He gives $5 to the pizza dude who has to box up his blazing hot 'za, run out in the freezing cold to his car, drive his 1978 Cutlass at 55 MPH through residential areas while avoiding local law enforcement, get out of the car and back into the freezing cold while navigating CNT's unkempt icy death trap of a sidewalk and his ferocious Yorkie named "Snowball", hand over the pies, stand in the cold for several minutes while CNT goes to retrieve a check from "The Boss", then it's back down the sidewalk and the trek is repeated back to the pizza parlor.

Meanwhile, "Sparkles" at the club (heated club, mind you), wiggles around listening to music for 4 hours every night.

CNT says "Sparkles" gets 75 cents and the KFC coupons that arrived with the rest of your junk mail earlier in the day.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my that made me laugh just a bit!!

I'd probably throw in one of those duct cleaning coupons as well.
:shock:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:

Well excuse me, Mr. High Roller.
Can't Never Tried

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote: CNT says it's service based, so let's think about it...

Well excuse me, Mr. High Roller.
And here's Sparkles now..... .75¢ You betcha!!! :lol: