Select 16 National Team

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gopherfan13

Select 16 National Team

Post by gopherfan13 »

A lot of talent out for the final 54. any insight on who you think will be on the final roster?
dadoc

Post by dadoc »

Any report on how the teams/players performed?
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

I saw a 16 team beat a 17 team on Sunday, pretty impressive. :lol:
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

i think a good place to start would be with wilcox in the goal
Mn hockey follower

Post by Mn hockey follower »

RushnCircles wrote:i think a good place to start would be with wilcox in the goal
i agree, wilcox played outstanding this weekend. Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe he only allowed two goals in three games. Pretty impressive for the type of hockey they were playing over the weekend.
I also believe the other goalie will be Ray from Andover.
gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 »

the 16 red team was very good the team played very well, they defeated the 17s i think white team? correct me if i'm wrong and i saw wilcox twice this weekend and he was outstanding.
gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 »

How about forwards and defense?
InThePaint

Post by InThePaint »

Mn hockey follower wrote:
RushnCircles wrote:i think a good place to start would be with wilcox in the goal
i agree, wilcox played outstanding this weekend. Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe he only allowed two goals in three games. Pretty impressive for the type of hockey they were playing over the weekend.
I also believe the other goalie will be Ray from Andover.
I was there as well, and I do definatly agree with wilcox, how ever Ray I dont belive would be next. He is a very solid goalie, but I dont feel showed himself. The goalie from Brainerd gave up only 2 goals as well, untill the 16 v 17 game, where he gave up his 4th of the weekend with under a minute left while his team was calling him off to get an extra attacker since they were only down by one. How ever Jim Kruger I feel will be the second goalie. He didnt show himself to his potential, but everyone knows hes a solid tender, and he i belive only gave up 5 total.
MNHockey08

Post by MNHockey08 »

Selects is all about politics. They pick the kids on how well they performed during the season and in the past. Not so much on the actual tryout and how many goals they let up. So the tryout often doesn't matter a whole lot.
gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 »

someone throw a roster out here
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

MNHockey08 wrote:Selects is all about politics. They pick the kids on how well they performed during the season and in the past. Not so much on the actual tryout and how many goals they let up. So the tryout often doesn't matter a whole lot.
First of all, "politics" would tend to be more a matter of who you know. Second, wouldn't it seem to make sense that kids that have done well in the past and had good seasons in '07-'08 also be the best players at this event? Or should these kids perform poorly for no good reason while others magically step up?

I'd love to hear your rationale for your statement.
northhockey13

Post by northhockey13 »

i think some of the players thatll make it are:
bjugstad
knockenmoose
gardiner
gaede
benik
isaakson
MNHockey08

Post by MNHockey08 »

suntzu wrote: I'd love to hear your rationale for your statement.
All of the players at the tryouts are good hockey players. I was just stating that the team is pretty much picked previously to the tryout. So even if the best player there has a poor tryout, he will probably get picked becuase of his past record. Which is fine, but i was just letting InthePaint and others know that it doesn't matter how many goals a goalie let up, the team has probably been picked prior to the tryout.
Thats all I was trying to say, so maybe "politics" wasn't the correct word.
AverageJoe

great weekend of play, lots of great 92's

Post by AverageJoe »

All the games were pretty exciting. It's too bad they can send more than 20 - there are at least two great teams among those 16's.
I lean toward some of the public school kids to give them the opportunity of some high exposure and training, but there are some absolutely great private school kids out there that would represent MN in a great way.
I am gonna shoot out my favs - don't know everyone -
Wilcox, Faulk, Isackson, Rubbelke, Gaede, knockenmus, Herbert, J.Christianson
Last edited by AverageJoe on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Marshall looked good in the game I saw him play.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
Mn hockey follower

Post by Mn hockey follower »

i heard they are taking 22 guys total to Rochester, New York
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Mn hockey follower wrote:i heard they are taking 22 guys total to Rochester, New York
I believe that is the correct number. 8)
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Here's who made the National Select Camp last year and participated in the Final 54 Camp this year. (NTDP Tryout Camp invitees in bold)...

Alex Koopmeiners (St. Cloud Cathedral)
Jeff Pauluk (Bloomington Jefferson)
Noah Gavin (St.Thomas Academy)
Christian Isackson (St.Thomas Academy)
Derek Forbort (Duluth East)
Joey Benik (St. Francis)
Quin Buckellew (Moorhead)
Matt Ray (Andover)
D.J. Jones (Wayzata)
Kevin McMorrow (Park Rapids)
Andrew Pitts (Brooklyn Park)
Adam Knochenmus (Roseau)
Ben Marshall (Mahtomedi)
Andy Worzala (Sartell)
Jim Kruger (Hopkins)
Max Gardiner (Minnetonka)
Thomas DeBace (Roseville)
Matt Youso (International Falls)

Also, these two guys weren't at last year's National Select Camp, but did participate in this year's NTDP Tryout Camp...

Nick Bjugstad (Blaine)
Joe Rubbelke (St. Paul Johnson)

So, I'd say the guys in bold are locks, and the other guys have pretty good odds.
Hockey_nut

Post by Hockey_nut »

The Exiled One wrote:Here's who made the National Select Camp last year and participated in the Final 54 Camp this year. (NTDP Tryout Camp invitees in bold)...

Joey Benik (St. Francis)
Matt Ray (Andover)
D.J. Jones (Wayzata)
Adam Knochenmus (Roseau)
Ben Marshall (Mahtomedi)
Andy Worzala (Sartell)
Jim Kruger (Hopkins)

Also, these two guys weren't at last year's National Select Camp, but did participate in this year's NTDP Tryout Camp...

Nick Bjugstad (Blaine)

So, I'd say the guys in bold are locks, and the other guys have pretty good odds.
Thanks for the list Exiled, but I don't think McMorrow was there this weekend, I didn't see his name on the rosters. Also, not sure if it will have an impact, but Rubbelke skipped the Sat. morn game to play baseball. Also, do you think Yuoso getting tossed from the game vs. the 17's for fighting will impact his selection?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Hockey_nut wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:Here's who made the National Select Camp last year and participated in the Final 54 Camp this year. (NTDP Tryout Camp invitees in bold)...

Joey Benik (St. Francis)
Matt Ray (Andover)
D.J. Jones (Wayzata)
Adam Knochenmus (Roseau)
Ben Marshall (Mahtomedi)
Andy Worzala (Sartell)
Jim Kruger (Hopkins)

Nick Bjugstad (Blaine)

Thanks for the list Exiled, but I don't think McMorrow was there this weekend, I didn't see his name on the rosters. Also, not sure if it will have an impact, but Rubbelke skipped the Sat. morn game to play baseball. Also, do you think Yuoso getting tossed from the game vs. the 17's for fighting will impact his selection?
Sorry, I should have put an asterisk next to McMorrow's name, but he'll likely be selected anyway. Rubbelke will probably be selected anyway. I didn't see Youso play, so I don't know. I'd wager Matt will be selected as well.
slapstkhound

Re: great weekend of play, lots of great 92's

Post by slapstkhound »

AverageJoe wrote:All the games were pretty exciting. It's too bad they can send more than 20 - there are at least two great teams among those 16's.

I lean toward some of the public school kids to give them the opportunity of some high exposure and training, but there are some absolutely great private school kids out there that would represent MN in a great way.

I am gonna shoot out my favs - don't know everyone -
Wilcox, Faulk, Isackson, Rubbelke, Gaede, knockenmus, Herbert, J.Christianson
I agree with your faves and would add the Brainerd goalie Reed Wimmack, Ben Marshall, Danny Muck and Alec Merchant. Knockenmus is a little stingy for my taste but a great player none the less.....
eastranger19

Post by eastranger19 »

How did Forbort look and who stuck out for the rest of the Northern Kids from Sections 7, 5, & 8.
thiscrazygame

Post by thiscrazygame »

[quote="
Thanks for the list Exiled, but I don't think McMorrow was there this weekend, I didn't see his name on the rosters. Also, not sure if it will have an impact, but Rubbelke skipped the Sat. morn game to play baseball. Also, do you think Yuoso getting tossed from the game vs. the 17's for fighting will impact his selection?[/quote]
Sorry, I should have put an asterisk next to McMorrow's name, but he'll likely be selected anyway. Rubbelke will probably be selected anyway. I didn't see Youso play, so I don't know. I'd wager Matt will be selected as well.[/quote]

So how does McMorrow get selected when he wasn't on the roster. Also Jeff Pauluk wasn't there this weekend either. Just curious
thiscrazygame

Post by thiscrazygame »

eastranger19 wrote:How did Forbort look and who stuck out for the rest of the Northern Kids from Sections 7, 5, & 8.
Forbert looked good not sure about the others.
Jbone

Post by Jbone »

When is this team going to be in St. Cloud?