USHL'ers to NAHL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ColdasIce

USHL'ers to NAHL

Post by ColdasIce »

See that a bunch of kids, mainly from Green Bay of the USHL were drafted by the NAHL in yesterday's draft. I'm not up on why or how this can be done...

Brandon Martel
Justin Filzen

are two I noticed, there are more, can anybody explain why and how they can play for 2 teams next year?
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

The leagues are independent, as far as I know they can be draft by both but can only play for one.
Nice to have choices like that huh? :wink:
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Can't Never Tried wrote:The leagues are independent, as far as I know they can be draft by both but can only play for one.
May also have been cut from Green Bay
"Be a teammate first"
hockeyxprt1

Post by hockeyxprt1 »

HOFam'r wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:The leagues are independent, as far as I know they can be draft by both but can only play for one.
I noticed Steve Carew (formerly of BSM) was drafted by Owatonna. Little puzzling since he was on Green Bay's protected list prior to the USHL draft. There must be more to the story as an NAHL team would not waste a draft pick on a player they have no chance of getting. Perhaps they just want the players rights should things not work out at the next level.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

hockeyxprt1 wrote:
HOFam'r wrote:
I noticed Steve Carew (formerly of BSM) was drafted by Owatonna. Little puzzling since he was on Green Bay's protected list prior to the USHL draft. There must be more to the story as an NAHL team would not waste a draft pick on a player they have no chance of getting. Perhaps they just want the players rights should things not work out at the next level.
I would say the last 2 posts are very likely scenarios .
boblee

post 10402

Post by boblee »

Brandon Martell seems to continue to take steps backwards. He is probably one of the worst Gopher signees in the last ten years.
The Exiled One

Re: post 10402

Post by The Exiled One »

boblee wrote:Brandon Martell seems to continue to take steps backwards. He is probably one of the worst Gopher signees in the last ten years.
Funny thing is, he was very close to committing to SCSU. How does Martell go from the highest scoring defenseman in Elite League to the NAHL?
boblee

post 10404

Post by boblee »

The Exiled One wrote:
boblee wrote:Brandon Martell seems to continue to take steps backwards. He is probably one of the worst Gopher signees in the last ten years.
Funny thing is, he was very close to committing to SCSU. How does Martell go from the highest scoring defenseman in Elite League to the NAHL?
The slap shot from the neutral zone doesn't work at higher levels.
Gopher Blog

Re: post 10402

Post by Gopher Blog »

You have to remember that he was offered pretty low scholarship by the Gophers (especially compared to what he got offered elsewhere) and he was coming off a shoulder injury that required surgery.

He was never recruited with the intention of being a heavy minutes guy for the Gophers. Pretty much a depth guy that you hope develops into something better as he matures in college.
ColdasIce

Post by ColdasIce »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
hockeyxprt1 wrote:
HOFam'r wrote: May also have been cut from Green Bay
does anybody know for sure about Carew, and Filzen? Didn't GB acquire a new coach, maybe told wouldn't play, abit confusing to me and sounds like to others
hockey59

GBG

Post by hockey59 »

ColdasIce wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
hockeyxprt1 wrote: I noticed Steve Carew (formerly of BSM) was drafted by Owatonna. Little puzzling since he was on Green Bay's protected list prior to the USHL draft. There must be more to the story as an NAHL team would not waste a draft pick on a player they have no chance of getting. Perhaps they just want the players rights should things not work out at the next level.
does anybody know for sure about Carew, and Filzen? Didn't GB acquire a new coach, maybe told wouldn't play, abit confusing to me and sounds like to others
GB has a new coach and the main try-out camp is being held at Resch Center Friday - Sunday, June 6-8th.

The reason a NAHL team would draft a USHL veteran would be:

- the player has indicated to the NAHL team that they prefer to play in the NAHL next season
- the player is an 88 birth year (close to aging out in the USHL) or a younger player...and the NAHL team wants their rights if they're subsequently released by the USHL team.

PS: Rob Johnson of Duluth East was drafted by Albert Lea of the NAHL (so was Jeff Lesmeister of Anoka and Lanny Olson of DM) In addition to this, is Rob planning on trying-out for any USHL teams? Thanks
suntzu

Re: GBG

Post by suntzu »

hockey59 wrote:
ColdasIce wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote: I would say the last 2 posts are very likely scenarios .
GB has a new coach and the main try-out camp is being held at Resch Center Friday - Sunday, June 6-8th.

The reason a NAHL team would draft a USHL veteran would be:

- the player has indicated to the NAHL team that they prefer to play in the NAHL next season
- the player is an 88 birth year (close to aging out in the USHL) or a younger player...and the NAHL team wants their rights if they're subsequently released by the USHL team.

PS: Rob Johnson of Duluth East was drafted by Albert Lea of the NAHL (so was Jeff Lesmeister of Anoka and Lanny Olson of DM) In addition to this, is Rob planning on trying-out for any USHL teams? Thanks

Rob was actually drafted by North Iowa - great kid. Good luck to him and the others.
hockey59

Martel

Post by hockey59 »

Gopher Blog wrote:
You have to remember that he was offered pretty low scholarship by the Gophers (especially compared to what he got offered elsewhere) and he was coming off a shoulder injury that required surgery.

He was never recruited with the intention of being a heavy minutes guy for the Gophers. Pretty much a depth guy that you hope develops into something better as he matures in college.
Boblee...you're criticism of Martel is both harsh and in-accurate.

As Gopherblog pointed out...he accepted a low scholly % to wear the M (evidently less than SCSU offered him)...keep in mind...when you're bringing in Jordon Schroeder and Aaron Ness type players, you also need to bring in low % players to balance your portfolio (18 full scholarships divided by roughly 25 players)

Brandon grew up in the Anoka youth system and I believe he is a very good student....so he might be getting some academic money too. For the record, he initially injured his shoulder during the Elite League in 2006...but still led all D in scoring...which resulted in him being offered a spot with the Gophers. He then aggravated the injury during the HS season playing for ER, which then required surgery to repair and resulted in him not joining Tri-City until almost Christmas. I understand his shoulder is now fully healed, and despite Tri-City not protecting him, I'll be surprised if he doesn't surface with another USHL team next season...rather than playing for Fairbanks in the NAHL prior to arriving on the U campus in 2009.
boblee

post 10406

Post by boblee »

hockey59 wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:

As Gopherblog pointed out...he accepted a low scholly % to wear the M (evidently less than SCSU offered him)...keep in mind...when you're bringing in Jordon Schroeder and Aaron Ness type players, you also need to bring in low % players to balance your portfolio (18 full scholarships divided by roughly 25 players)

Brandon grew up in the Anoka youth system and I believe he is a very good student....so he might be getting some academic money too. For the record, he initially injured his shoulder during the Elite League in 2006...but still led all D in scoring...which resulted in him being offered a spot with the Gophers. He then aggravated the injury during the HS season playing for ER, which then required surgery to repair and resulted in him not joining Tri-City until almost Christmas. I understand his shoulder is now fully healed, and despite Tri-City not protecting him, I'll be surprised if he doesn't surface with another USHL team next season...rather than playing for Fairbanks in the NAHL prior to arriving on the U campus in 2009.
I always thought Slavik was a better player. Martell just has the heavy shot that is usually taken from the neutral zone because it takes him a long time to get it off.
oldbarn7

Post by oldbarn7 »

boblee

I agree ever since watching Slavik and Martell play I felt that Slavik was a superior player. Many times he was left out to dry by Martell (especially their senior season together). Slavik is/was a much better skater, passer, and defensive defenseman. I hope a school will take a chance on him. As for Martell he is/was viewed as a "project" being 6'2 or 6'3 and being VERY thin with a lot of raw skills he was viewed as a kid that could really come into his own with time. As we know this has not happened yet, but I sure hope it does for his sake.
breakout

Re: post 10406

Post by breakout »

boblee wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote: You have to remember that he was offered pretty low scholarship by the Gophers (especially compared to what he got offered elsewhere) and he was coming off a shoulder injury that required surgery.

I always thought Slavik was a better player. Martell just has the heavy shot that is usually taken from the neutral zone because it takes him a long time to get it off.
I know Martell can flip the puck high from the D zone and land it somewhere in neutral ice. That's the Sarsland breakout.

I imagine that Paul Martin waved that kind of thinking off and was allowed to think creatively.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The NAHL still has tenders, so their draft isn't nearly as important as the USHL's. The tenders are ones who will most likely be 100% committed to the team, while the draft picks are just basically "hopefully they decide they want to play here"

With the GB players being drafted, I'd imagine that's more of a case of hoping they're not happy with the coaching change in GB or the new coach doesn't feel they fit into his plans.

At this stage in the season, players can be listed on multiple protected lists, but once the season starts, a player may only be listed on ONE protected list.