Section 1A 2008-09

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 1A

Albert Lea
29%
Austin
7%
Faribault
14%
Northfield
23%
Red Wing
23%
Waseca
4%

Total votes: 56

RSI

Section 1A 2008-09

Post by RSI »

Only 4 months until the start of the season. We better start looking forward...

Who wins the section and why?
the green machine
Location: The Think Tank that has found peace, love and happines.

Post by the green machine »

Guess who the one Faribault vote is. Is this who we want to win or expect to win. Refer to the other thread for my picks.
RSI

Post by RSI »

the green machine wrote:Guess who the one Faribault vote is.
Now your team has just as many votes as Waseca. Congrats.
RSI

Post by RSI »

:wink:
the green machine

It is good to see the AL faithful have showed up to vote. I would have guessed them to still be in isolation. :D

So according to the votes, AL should win it again or wait they have never won it. I say one thing, BEAT AUSTIN and then BEAT AL.

This quote says it all
jetjock wrote:
Remember one thing, the year before Austin lost 8 seniors, and still won the section.
Time to end the streak.

RSI, what are you doing visiting the district headquarters? Applying for another coaching job or getting transfer papers for your daughter?

There are good reasons for you to move to paradise. :shock:

I have moved on to the future, therefore I will be on this thread. Maybe someday Jet can join us. Let us leave our past thread for the Section 1A wannabes over there in rochester. They struggled to keep up intellectually anyway.
RSI

Post by RSI »

the green machine wrote:RSI, what are you doing visiting the district headquarters? Applying for another coaching job or getting transfer papers for your daughter?
Making friends like it says :lol: Since I'm not a teacher, it would be a waste of everyone's time if I applied for a coaching position :roll: :roll: That must have been where that banjo music kept coming from last season. :lol:

If I had a spare $30,000 or so (per year) she would play in Faribo :lol:
jetjock

Post by jetjock »

the green machine wrote:
So according to the votes, AL should win it again or wait they have never won it.
Neither has Faribo. :D

I will also join this thread and leave the past behind. I have yet to cast my vote. I really like my bracket buster (Redwing). This group is really on a mission. I can not wait to see Northfield play also. I think the section tourney is going to be a barn burner. Of course, I still like the pieces to the AL puzzle. They just need someone to put them together. I will have a final pick at the end of next week.
the green machine

Ouch Jet. I think I preferred the kinder, gentler Jet. Oh well, welcome to the dark side, young falcon.
RSI wrote: Since I'm not a teacher, it would be a waste of everyone's time if I applied for a coaching position :roll: :roll:
RSI, let us be honest. You are afraid of the background check. :lol: Hey you could always use me as a reference. :shock: :lol:

What ever happened to twinnsota, oh yea, he is hot on the Obama campaign trail. I miss our token liberal. :wink:

It is a great day, we are still rochester free here on section 1A.

The greatest high school girls hockey guru the mighty green machine.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

TGM is just falcon89's new name! You couldn't stay off the board could you dude? The withdrawl symptoms must have have been unbearable.
the green machine

Rocket78 wrote:TGM is just falcon89's new name! You couldn't stay off the board could you dude? The withdrawl symptoms must have have been unbearable.
Our thread has now been contaminated by Rochester's brightest. A.K.A. "firecracker". Glad to see you are keeping up. RSI figured this out weeks ago. That says a lot. Welcome home fire cracker. :D

Maybe we could just divide all of the rochester schools by 2 and they could join section 1A. :shock: But then Mayo would have to give up the Big 9 title. :shock:
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

TGM, I see you know of the firecracker name and yet you just joined in July '08. Geeeeee, you aren't the famous falcon89 are you? Stay retired like you promised. So, did you buy a new microphone for your job as the Faribo arena announcer?
RSI

Post by RSI »

Easy boys. We don't want to get this thread locked up before the season even starts.

Jet,
Just curious, how is the camp going this week? I hear you're short a lot of the AL girls.
jetjock

Post by jetjock »

Yes we are short of several AL girls due to injuries(which I will not comment), soccer, and vacations. There are about 4-5 of your veteran group there. Next week should show a few more. I am really impressed with the younger AL girls (7-9th graders). They play hard and hungry. The girls that are there, seem much more mature and ready to play than last year.
Most of Austin's U14 team will be there next week. Right now we are averaging 20-24 girls a night . Next week will be many more girls. We are having a lot of fun. The Faribault scrimmage was last night and I heard it went well. I believe it was pretty even. Next week we scrimmage Northfield, Faribault and possibly Dodge county.

Our U12 camp is really suffering low numbers. We have about 10 girls a session and mostly Austin kids. Hopefully that will improve next year.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

the green machine wrote:

Maybe we could just divide all of the rochester schools by 2 and they could join section 1A. :shock: But then Mayo would have to give up the Big 9 title. :shock:
... or, finish #1 and #2 respectively :D

With the strong netminders currently in Lakeville & Farmington, I wouldn't mind taking those chances in Section 1A... :D
the green machine

DmanDad1980 wrote:
the green machine wrote:

... or, finish #1 and #2 respectively :D

With the strong netminders currently in Lakeville & Farmington, I wouldn't mind taking those chances in Section 1A... :D
Yea........Century and Jm have faired well against 1A teams. Well at losing. :shock: Divide Mayo by 2 and goodluck at above .500.
I need to stop encouraging them. Maybe a Rochester thread should be started.

Back to 1A, Jet/ RSI, how are your predictions looking? You've seen a sample of 1A teams. By the way, no KH at the scrimmages? Golf, job, or boyfriend? I hope the later. :lol: :lol: :lol:
the green machine

I have decided to update my picks with the newly acquired information I have. Austin is easily knocked off the one spot at this time, followed by Albert Lea. :-({|= :-({|=

All that remains is the big 3. (Faribault, Northfield, and Redwing) This prediction is for the seeding, not who I want to win.

1. Northfield
2. Redwing
3. Faribault (The BIG 3 will be close)
4. Albert Lea
5. Austin
6. Waseca
RSI

Post by RSI »

the green machine wrote: 1. Northfield
2. Redwing
3. Faribault (The BIG 3 will be close)
4. Albert Lea
5. Austin
6. Waseca
-After what I saw Tuesday, I like your pick of Northfield at #1. They destroyed that mish-mash of Austin and AL girls. Although, we've been saying that about Northfield for a couple years now.

-I don't know enough about Red Wing to comment, unlike other people. :P

-I'm not as sold on Faribo as others on this board :P

-If AL can solve their leadership issues, they could be tough. I'll believe it when I see it. :roll:

-I will assume that Wagner and Ellingson learned a lot from the past 2 graduating classes. Don't count them out, most people dimissed them last year too. :shock:
GundersonDC

Post by GundersonDC »

The dark Horse Team to win Section 1A will be Red Wing. Rose is one of the best ofeensive /defensive players in State(as junior) and the rest of the team is young but play big. This team looks to gel well and will be the section 1A favorite the following year hands down. Good luck to all this season..
jetjock

Post by jetjock »

I agree with coach Gunderson about Redwing, just look at my previous posts.

RSI and I saw the same thing at the Northfield scrimmage. However, we say this about Northfield every year(expect great things) and then they seem to be unable to win. They have to learn to win. They probably have the best and most dedicated goalie in the section. Remember one thing though, these are only scrimmages, we all know the history of these things from last year.

I missed the Faribault scrimmages, so I never saw first hand their play. I believe they were solid, but not the level of Northfield.

AL has the most talented, aged, group in the section, with a younger cast that compliments them well. If they can find a way to play hockey, like they did at the Austin xmas tourney, the entire year, they will be the team to beat. I have been around these kids a lot and can not figure out what happens to them at the end. It is a great mystery. This group is a coach's dream. With that said, I am confident they will stay focused on winning and put all the conflict aside, to get it done.

Austin always surprises me. Bray has a way of getting the most out of his players. You can never count them out. Wags and Ellingson do bring talent and experience to the team. It is a long season and Bray has time to work some magic on this group.

So here are my predictions
1. Albert Lea
2. Redwing
3. Northfield
4. Faribault
5. Austin
6. Waseca

I will now be harassed by the Austin faithful, but these are only predictions, and anyone of the 5 can win. A very important point though, is I know this year's section tourney will be the closest tourney we have had in years. You will not see 6-0, 7-1, type scores when the top 5 play each other. I expect to see some sudden deaths. It will be fun intense hockey to watch. Let the fun begin.

Interesting article ( I love skating in the hot summers)
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager ... 4&a=352486
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

I'm curious why Rose Alleva would stay at Red Wing. Why doesn't she play T-breds or why doesn't SSM recruit her. She had 40 points last year. Sophomore! Defenseman! That is a heck of an accomplishment. The rest of the returning Red Wing girls had a combined 33 points. I know that she is on the college's radar but to really become a great player she needs to surround herself with great players.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

Rocket78 wrote:I'm curious why Rose Alleva would stay at Red Wing. Why doesn't she play T-breds or why doesn't SSM recruit her. She had 40 points last year. Sophomore! Defenseman! That is a heck of an accomplishment. The rest of the returning Red Wing girls had a combined 33 points. I know that she is on the college's radar but to really become a great player she needs to surround herself with great players.
Rose is a very good player, she is also on the ice the majority of the game & she seems like an endles bundle of energy,
I hope for RW sake she does not get hurt.
the green machine

jetjock wrote: Remember one thing though, these are only scrimmages, we all know the history of these things from last year
Hey Jet, are you talking about the AL/ austin scrimmage? I think The forum reported that AL spanked Austin 18-1. Who spanked who when it counted? Ha, ha, I could not resist. Oops, living in the past. The AL meltdown will live on forever.

No seriously, we have heard Jet's picks, my picks , and here are RSI's picks. Anyone else care to place an opinion.
RSI wrote: Austin is the team to beat in the Section 1A, they haven't lost a 1A game in 2 seasons. Austin has the best coach in 1A, I think he proved that last year and they will be my #1 until somebody shows me they are not worthy. Good luck.
1A prediction
1. Austin
2. Faribo
3. Northfield
4. Albert Lea
5. Red Wing
6. Waseca
I like where RSI has Faribo.

The poll states
1. Albert Lea
2/3. Austin/ Redwing -tie
4. Faribo
5/6. Northfield/waseca tie (this one is funny)

Where would Redwing be without Rose? :-k
One player teams do well in section 1A. :D
RSI

Post by RSI »

YAWN.....man, you guys are quiet this year! :lol: At least that lessens the chances of this thread getting locked up :lol:
BigT

Post by BigT »

RSI wrote:YAWN.....man, you guys are quiet this year! :lol: At least that lessens the chances of this thread getting locked up :lol:
Be careful what you ask for!!! :D
RSI

Post by RSI »

BigT wrote:
RSI wrote:YAWN.....man, you guys are quiet this year! :lol: At least that lessens the chances of this thread getting locked up :lol:
Be careful what you ask for!!! :D
HA! :lol: Obviously I didn't think that statement all the way through did I... :shock: