Preseason Predictions for Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blue2141

Preseason Predictions for Section 3A

Post by blue2141 »

Hutch?
Marshall?
New Ulm?
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Willmar

:lol:
The U invented swagger.
High_Plains_Dangler

Post by High_Plains_Dangler »

I would have to go with Hutch, but other than that, who cares?
Relax, Take it slow, and Let the Good Times Roll
dent0110

Section 3A

Post by dent0110 »

New Ulm was runnerup last year and should be one of the top teams this year. Senior forward Kyle Reinarts was one of their top scorers last year. I believe senior defenseman Beau Burgau is playing junior hockey, but senior Cody Kohn is back. Last year, the Eagles had three junior goalies, so they should all be back and they were fairly good.

Hutchinson should be a favorite. They don't have alot of big scorers, but senior forward Mitch Cowger was their top forward last year.

Marshall lost their best players, forward Tony Krogen, Aaron and Andy Ogdahl, and goalie Paul Ivers. Senior forwads Ryan Hanson and Danny Hansen should do well, and some underclassmen, junior Dereck Deutz, sophomore Aaron Antony, and freshman Grant Sattler showed some potential last year. They will be a young team.

Windom Area should be improved. They were 14-12-1 overall last year. They have four of their five top scorers back, seniors Trevor Hage and Brandon Fast along with juniors Nick Eisenmenger and Hunter Johnson. Junior goalie Ethan Villenueve started most of the games last year.
dangleallday16

Re: Section 3A

Post by dangleallday16 »

dent0110 wrote:New Ulm was runnerup last year and should be one of the top teams this year. Senior forward Kyle Reinarts was one of their top scorers last year. I believe senior defenseman Beau Burgau is playing junior hockey, but senior Cody Kohn is back. Last year, the Eagles had three junior goalies, so they should all be back and they were fairly good.

Hutchinson should be a favorite. They don't have alot of big scorers, but senior forward Mitch Cowger was their top forward last year.

Marshall lost their best players, forward Tony Krogen, Aaron and Andy Ogdahl, and goalie Paul Ivers. Senior forwads Ryan Hanson and Danny Hansen should do well, and some underclassmen, junior Dereck Deutz, sophomore Aaron Antony, and freshman Grant Sattler showed some potential last year. They will be a young team.

Windom Area should be improved. They were 14-12-1 overall last year. They have four of their five top scorers back, seniors Trevor Hage and Brandon Fast along with juniors Nick Eisenmenger and Hunter Johnson. Junior goalie Ethan Villenueve started most of the games last year.

New Ulm's gonna take it no doubt about it,marshall has none Sattler left to play at STA and hanson thinks he;s god,and hes gonna get lit up,one person can't carry a team from hutch and wilmer's going to be the toughest task,but NU can handle it i expect to see them at the X this year
Bhindthemask

Post by Bhindthemask »

Here we go again, same song different dance. New Ulm played the same song last year thinking they were a shoe in for section champs. If NU played as good as they talked they wouldn't just be 3A champs, they would probably be state champs. You NU people talked smack all year last year and come Feb. Litch proved that they were the best team in 3A. (That was a great game by the way) So I want to see some good reasoning as to why NU wins the section and just being NU doesn't support good reasoning.

Why wasn't Litch included in the previous post? Were they not the section champs last year?

Also if you are going to throw Windom into the mix, I think you need to consider Luverne first. Luverne beat Windom 2 of 3 last year, their only loss to Windom was a 2-1 loss in Windom. You also have to consider that Paquette, Olson, and Dinger are among the best all around athletes in SW Minnesota.

Marshall may have lost some talent, but coach Pearson and his crew always do a good job of having their teams prepared. Marshall has a very good program, and will always be a factor in this this section.

I would not be surprised to see Windom or Luverne knock off Marshall as the SWC champs this year. It should be good.

Does anyone know where Burgau is playing?
Iceburg

Post by Iceburg »

Bhindthemask wrote:Does anyone know where Burgau is playing?
HERE
dangleallday16

Post by dangleallday16 »

Iceburg wrote:
HERE

No he isn't he's playing NA for The team out in Wanautchee, WA
dangleallday16

Post by dangleallday16 »

dangleallday16 wrote:
Iceburg wrote:
HERE

No he isn't he's playing NA for The team out in Wanautchee, WA

sorry i didnt realize that was a link,but New Ulm is going to take it this year.
gopherfan06

Post by gopherfan06 »

Just my opinion

New Ulm probably early season favorite, good core although last Burgau will be solid with experience up front and on the blue line. Reinarts will be one of the top players in the section and had a goaltender prove himself last year near end

Marshall-YOUNG,lost lots of their scoring. Need to find a scorer. Going to be very hard to replace Tony Krogens 70-75 points and one of the leading goal scorers in the state. Only won some games because he would score 4 or 5 goals some games to pull out wins. New goaltender and will only get better throughout season

Hutch-good players coming back some very solid players that can really play, will contend also a tough schedule playing the likes of AHA

Willmar-No standouts never really have but they always have kids who can skate and play from top to bottom. Just need to find a coach and to stay discipline

Luverne-I think is a sleeper. Has a lot of talent in Pacquette but the goalie did graduate which could be a big issue but will surprise teams this year.

Litchfield-Although they are defending champs, lost lots of their top players and thier goaltender who pretty much picked up the team and brought them to the X

Wide open just like ever year in the southern region and should be a fun season to watch.
keepmeoutofit

Post by keepmeoutofit »

marshall has 2 seniors returning and a flock of freshmen, sophs and juniors
hero12

Post by hero12 »

The only teams I know much about are Marshall and Luverne.

Luverne will be a well balanced team, minus a goalie. If they can work out this issue, I agree they will take the conference. Paquette will put up huge numbers no doubt.

I have talked to a few marshall players, and they aren't going to be near as strong as they have been the last few years. As for hanson, from what I've seen, he is all over the ice and very aggressive, but lacks control and skill.

My assumption is that New Ulm will be quite good as they always yeild a good team.
RoarzgEagles19

Post by RoarzgEagles19 »

Though I do not know much about all the other teams, I know that New Ulm should have a solid squad. Last year the Eagles had a strong set of juniors and though the loss of Burgau is hard, there are also some promising underclassmen. Kaleb Juntunen is known to be able to put the puck in the net, and Hoffman is very impressive also.
wild4hockey9

Post by wild4hockey9 »

There are three teams that are up for the title

New Ulm- They are the section runner ups from last year and have a good chance again this year. Returning some good scorers. Golie situation?

Hutchinson- Returing alot of talent from last year including 5 of the top 7 scorers from last year. Should make a good bid for the title.

Willmar- Have a decent team again this year. No big standouts but should have a balanced attack to put them in the mix.

should be a fun section to watch
h20

Post by h20 »

Hutch or New Ulm, and who ever finds the good goalie will take it, LDC lost just about everyone, Marshall about the same, Willlmar is lousy, No goalie, no scoring. For Windom and Luverne they may knock someone out unexpected, but wont be there in the end
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

hero12 wrote:The only teams I know much about are Marshall and Luverne.

Luverne will be a well balanced team, minus a goalie. If they can work out this issue, I agree they will take the conference. Paquette will put up huge numbers no doubt.

I have talked to a few marshall players, and they aren't going to be near as strong as they have been the last few years. As for hanson, from what I've seen, he is all over the ice and very aggressive, but lacks control and skill.

My assumption is that New Ulm will be quite good as they always yeild a good team.
Can you explain what it means to "yeild" a team?
The U invented swagger.
Top Shelf

Post by Top Shelf »

My thoughts on the section

Fairmont-- May win a few games this year

Hutch-- Probably a favorite to win the section

Litch-- Lost a lot like everyone has stated, but should be a semi-final team in this section.

Luverne--Athletic players. Anyone that has followed this section knows this bunch is capable.

Marshall-- Probably down from the last few years. It may be a bumpy ride early, but I'm guessing they will come on late.

New Ulm--Will be in the mix towards the end. Some real solid hockey players on the roster.

Redwood Valley--Have shown signs of improvement. Teams shouldn't overlook them.

Sleepy Eye--May win a game or two this year.

Willmar-- Good numbers. I don't know. There's no reason why they can't contend.

Windom-- A few nice players on the roster. Might make some noise.

Worthington--Seems to play certain teams tough, but also lose some head scratchers. Not a contender this year.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Here are my pre-season rankings for section 3A...

1. Fairmont
2. Redwood Valley
3. Willmar
4. New Ulm
5. Windom
6. Worthington
7. Hutchinson
8. Sleepy Eye
9. Luverne
10. Marshall
11. Litchfield

How did I come up with these? I threw all the teams in a hat; which is about as accurate as one can be with this section. But seriously...New Ulm, Willmar, Hutchinson, and Litchfield should be the only teams with a chance. I'll take Hutchinson as of November 27th.
SC.elite

Post by SC.elite »

What makes Hutch the favorite to win the section compared to the other top teams? Do they have something special that the others dont, just looking for some inside information.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Their regular season W-L record will not be great, but the quality of competition they play in the regular season is by far better than anyone else in the section (Holy Angels - Red Wing - New Prague - Northfield) That will prepare them for the playoffs, where I see them as no worse than a semifinalist, and most likely in the championship game.
Koolice

scrimmage

Post by Koolice »

Some of the teams in the sec will be playing in NU this Sat. Willmar, Litch, NU, Hutch, and Windom. I know that scrimmages don"t mean alot but I'm driving down to watch. Should be fun to watch.
BSU93

Post by BSU93 »

New Ulm, Hutchinson and Willmar looked to be the best teams at the scrimages, New Ulm looked to have some explosive forwards and one or two D that could handle the puck, Hutchinson seemed to have a top line that could score at anytime if they move their feet which they didnt do much in these scrimages, It looks to be a Question mark as to who the starting goalie is for Hutchinson but we well see in their first game against New Ulm, Willmar seemed to be very chippy and hit very late after the puck was moved, it seemed to get in the other teams heads which may work out for them but they could take some penalties which would put them a man down often, Willmar had an overall good team but chippy and no stand out forwards, It will be interesting to watch this season as to who is the top team, Litchfield also thinks they are top PLEASE BAN ME after going to state and getting their ass kicked last year we'll see how they turn out, not to good the way they looked today.
Koolice

Post by Koolice »

I agree. Hutch, NU, Willmar looked to be the better teams. Lets get the season started. Its still anyones Sec.
NUwillbeatU

Post by NUwillbeatU »

new ulm looks like the best team in this section hands down. even though they lost burgau to juniors, i think Reinharts will carry them to the state tournament. no one can compete with them.
BSU93

Post by BSU93 »

Interesting you say that can you tell me there scores for the scrimage?