Upsets in the Sectionals

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

greenway1969

Upsets in the Sectionals

Post by greenway1969 »

Which team is most likely to pull an upset in the Sectionals?

Section 1AA: Rochester Century. If you can beat East you can beat anybody.

Section 2AA: Burnsville. Great coaching makes them dangerous.

Secitons 3AA: Hastings. Not a particularly strong section and Hastings has played a couple of good teams close.

Section 4AA: Mounds View. Again, no exceptional teams and Mounds View has been playing decent hockey lately.

Section 5AA: Osseo. They always seem to hang around.

Section 6AA: The first five teams are so good that anyone of them could beat any of the others. Not much to choose from, but Hopkins seems the weakest of the five, so I'll go with them.

Section 7AA: Andover. Plays in the toughest conference and in a weak section.

Section 8AA: St. Cloud Tech. Played both Roseau and Moorhead tough the last time out.
wbmd

Re: Upsets in the Sectionals

Post by wbmd »

greenway1969 wrote:Which team is most likely to pull an upset in the Sectionals?

Secitons 3AA: Hastings. Not a particularly strong section and Hastings has played a couple of good teams close.
Hastings is definitely capable of pulling off an upset in 3AA
ref101

Post by ref101 »

Elks are playing good these days!
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

I think Andover has at least 1 upset in them, maybe 2?
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

ref101 wrote:Elks are playing good these days!
Elk River has a good chance of advancing out of 7AA. Obviously I would prefer East coming out of the section, but it's pretty close between Duluth East and Elk River.

My section upset hopefuls:

AA-
1- Rochester Century. Since losing to Duluth Marshall in late January, Century has gone 6-0, scoring six or more goals in each game. They appear to be getting hot at the right time.

2- AHA. Since Edina and Bloomington Jefferson are the two favorites, a lot of people seem to forget about Holy Angels. They haven't lost to a MSHSL team since mid-January. I could definitely see Holy Angels coming out of 2AA.

3- Eagan. I'd say this section, along with 7AA, will likely go to one of the top two seeds. But Eagan is my pick for an upset. They haven't played phenomenally, but they're doing alright. They are 5-2 in their last seven, and have knocked off Hastings and Apple Valley. So, by process of elimination, I have to pick Eagan as my upset pick.

4- Tartan. Even though they are just as good as Hill and WBL this year, people always tend to talk about the other two way more than Tartan. They are 6-0-1 in their section this year, including 1-0-1 against Hill. They have a good chance to be seeded higher than the Pioneers, but a lot of people would still consider it an upset if Tartan beat HM. Seeing Tartan at the X wouldn't shock me at all.

5- Maple Grove. I know Maple Grove beat Centennial, but Blaine and Centennial are still my top two in this section. This could chance Thursday, when MG plays Blaine. Until then, Maple Grove is my "upset" pick in section 5AA.

6- Benilde-St. Margaret's. With Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, and Wayzata as the three top teams, BSM is the next best. I don't think Hopkins has what it takes, even thought they had a couple big wins this year. With the exception of an early loss to Stillwater and a recent loss to Totino, the Red Knights have played some pretty consistent hockey.

7- Elk River. Duluth East is most people's favorite in 7AA. Elk River should scare every Hounds fan. The Elks are 9-1-1 in their last 11, including wins over Blaine and Centennial. Elk River is the best competition for Duluth East in this section.

8- St. Cloud Tech. I don't really see them beating Moorhead and Roseau, but you never know.
HOUNDS
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

greenway1969 wrote:Which team is most likely to pull an upset in the Sectionals?

Section 1AA: Rochester Century. If you can beat East you can beat anybody.

Section 2AA: Burnsville. Great coaching makes them dangerous.

Section 4AA: Mounds View. Again, no exceptional teams and Mounds View has been playing decent hockey lately.

Section 5AA: Osseo. They always seem to hang around.

Section 6AA: The first five teams are so good that anyone of them could beat any of the others. Not much to choose from, but Hopkins seems the weakest of the five, so I'll go with them.

Section 7AA: Andover. Plays in the toughest conference and in a weak section.

Section 8AA: St. Cloud Tech. Played both Roseau and Moorhead tough the last time out.
Osseo that's not an upset that would be a miracle considering they would have to upset two teams and not one like most sections.
Last edited by Shovel Shot on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockeywatcher123

Post by Hockeywatcher123 »

I wouldn't want to play tarten if I was In 4AA.
Also i'm not sure what section they are in but if richfield comes to play they could be trouble
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Section 2AA playoffs will be very interesting this year. I think winning it is a little out of reach for Burnsville. AHA has the best shot at an upset. I think Edina will return to the state tournament again this year.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Hockeywatcher123 wrote:I wouldn't want to play tarten if I was In 4AA.
Also i'm not sure what section they are in but if richfield comes to play they could be trouble
Richfield is in Class A. Not sure of the section either.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

When I talk upset picks I'm thinking teams that could get seeded 4 or lower in their sections. I'm also talking about winning the whole section and going to state. So here is my breakdown.

1AA- Lakeville South, I'm not sure where they will get seeded really so they may get a top 3 so I'll also say Lakeville North in case South takes a higher seed. But I like South to come out no matter what they are seeded here.

2AA- Chaska- They have a strong first line and can score, problem here is goaltending has been in question most of the year. Lets be serious though one of the top 3 teams will win this section. Burnsville would be the obvious other but I like Chaska to beat them in the 4-5 game.

3AA- Apple Valley will have Fischer and Michaelson back come sections to make them more dangerous along with a good goalie. I would have said Eastview too earleir this year but not even O'Shea can save this team, no offense this year.

4AA- Stillwater or Mounds View would be the two with outside shots, maybe pull one upset but I don't think enough to get to the X.

5AA- Osseo, played BSM nad ER to 3-2 games in the second half this year maybe get a few bounces there way to upset through but this is kinda like 2AA where the top 3 are big favorites.

6AA- Wayzata and Hopkins will be 4 and 5 and are the two teams to the other three will have to watch out for obviously.

7AA- Grand Rapids or Forest Lake for the real big surprise. FL has good goaltending something that can get you upsets in playoff games but probably not enough scoring from them. GR with a few bounces could worry some teams though.

8AA- Everyone has SCT which is probably a good choice but sticking with my picks of teams probably seeded 4 or lower I'll take Brainerd. Played Moorhead 2-1 once, GR 3-1 and LF 4-2, maybe switch some things up but probably still not.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

burnsville Great coaching!! HA Ha Ha that is one of the funniest things ever posted here...talk about a coach with no clue about leadership and enforcing rules and conduct on the ice...
defense

Post by defense »

8AA: St. Cloud Tech yes. Don't forget Brainerd who beat the Spuds. Buffaloe may but is doubtful.
slapshot89

Post by slapshot89 »

Section 6A - The flyers better be ready for Alex, this game could really be an upset according to the two season matches that were both decided by one gear each.
Factsmatter1

Post by Factsmatter1 »

Chaska could take burnsville in 2AA playoff but it would take a miracle on ice for them to win the section. Goaltending isn't strong enough
nipeshow18

Post by nipeshow18 »

defense wrote:8AA: St. Cloud Tech yes. Don't forget Brainerd who beat the Spuds. Buffaloe may but is doubtful.
Brainerd never beat Moorhead.. they took them to overtime at home and eventually lost and then they got blown out at Moorhead. Tech is the team most likely to pull of an upset in 8AA
gunnerstahl

Post by gunnerstahl »

defense wrote:8AA: St. Cloud Tech yes. Don't forget Brainerd who beat the Spuds. Buffaloe may but is doubtful.
that actually never took place, but they did play them tough and lost 2-1.

as for 8aa, got to go with stc tech they tied roseau and moorhead in the last two weeks and have great goaltending 9 out of 10 games.
defense

Post by defense »

gunnerstahl wrote:
that actually never took place, but they did play them tough and lost 2-1.

as for 8aa, got to go with stc tech they tied roseau and moorhead in the last two weeks and have great goaltending 9 out of 10 games.
Stupid me!! I was thinking B's and got Brainerd and Bemidji screwed up.
That was when Moorhead was playing bad. I still Think Brainerd has a shot though...this is the year that SOMEONE has to stop Roseau/Moorhead's stranglehold.
Dean_O66

Post by Dean_O66 »

8AA Moorhead over Roseau sections are approaching and Moorhead's not going to sit back and let another state appearance slip by them again you see Roseau and Moorhead Section final witch will be a great game with Moorhead by 2 St. Cloud Tech doesn't have a shot a even coming close to a section final game!! As well as Brainerd but either way look for Moorhead or Roseau to be at state representing section 8AA

:lol: :lol:
ref17

Post by ref17 »

Broncos over the Hibbing Blue Jackets.For Hibbing fans this would be painful,for the Falls fans it would be taking care of business!Go get em Broncos!!!!!!!! My prediction- Falls 6 Hibbing 4, EN to make it hurt real bad.
gopherfan20

Post by gopherfan20 »

Stillwater in 4AA. I know people are going to whine and ask how or why they will, and to be honest, I don't know. I just have a feeling.
puckluck19

Post by puckluck19 »

8AA- Tech is capable of pulling an upset but the fact they would need to beat 2 good teams makes it unlikely. I don't see them playing well 2 games in a row. They have the talent but lack the consistency.
Apples2oranges

Post by Apples2oranges »

wbmd wrote:
Hockeywatcher123 wrote:I wouldn't want to play tarten if I was In 4AA.
Richfield is in Class A. Not sure of the section either.
2A watch out Breck!
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

1AA - nobody as the top 4 teams are all so equal and Coach Fish couldn't win a meaningful game if his fu-man-chu mustache depended on it!

2AA - Burnsville because one man can win a high school game

3AA - AV if they get healthy or Eagan.

4AA - Roseville has a good goalie and Stillwater can't win big games, especially if you are looking to a guy named Wilson to do it.

5AA - Champlin Park if their goalie plays well and they use their size to win the battles/scrums.

6AA - Hopkins can win on any night.

7AA - Andover on talent or Cloquet on karma.

8AA - Brainerd or Tech
MAYO SPARTANS!
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

On 2nd thought I will take Winona in 1 AA as Welle can make 50+ saves and they do have a few dynamic forwards.
MAYO SPARTANS!
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

SEMinnHockeyNut wrote:1AA - nobody as the top 4 teams are all so equal and Coach Fish couldn't win a meaningful game if his fu-man-chu mustache depended on it!

2AA - Burnsville because one man can win a high school game

3AA - AV if they get healthy or Eagan.

4AA - Roseville has a good goalie and Stillwater can't win big games, especially if you are looking to a guy named Wilson to do it.

5AA - Champlin Park if their goalie plays well and they use their size to win the battles/scrums.

6AA - Hopkins can win on any night.

7AA - Andover on talent or Cloquet on karma.

8AA - Brainerd or Tech

Is this a list of teams able to complete the upset or teams that can't get it done?