AA SEEDING PREDICTIONS - WHO WILL BE THE TOP 4

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WHO IS THE #1 Seed in AA

Poll ended at Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:59 pm

EDINA
67%
EDEN PRAIRIE
27%
DULUTH EAST
7%

Total votes: 60

GR8-justoffthepost

AA SEEDING PREDICTIONS - WHO WILL BE THE TOP 4

Post by GR8-justoffthepost »

For the most part the top teams have made their mark and are making hotel arrangements accross from the X.

Who will be the 4 seeded AA teams at this years State Tournament?? IMO -

Edina #1 - Just knocked off #1 Jags (in some poles)
EP #2 - Makes total sense!
Blaine/Centennial #3 - NWSC has 5 state championships since 2000 and these teams deserve a #3 nod.
Duluth East #4 - could be the # 3 seed, good arguments for.

Lets hear it Minnesota High School Hockey Fans.... Whos #1 seed?
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Eden Prairie should get the #1 seed.
How can Edina get the #1 seed when they were'nt even a #1 in there own section.
Althought EP lost to Edina, one was in OT. Edina lost to Tonka and Hopkins, 2 teams that Eden Prairie beat, and had to have a 3rd period comeback to beat Tonka a second time.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:Eden Prairie should get the #1 seed.
Althought EP lost to Edina, one was in OT. Edina lost to Tonka and Hopkins, 2 teams that Eden Prairie beat, and had to have a 3rd period comeback to beat Tonka a second time.
Eden Prairie split with Jefferson, who Edina overwhelmed. If you're going to look at this, you have to look at it both ways.

Edina beat Eden Prairie, not once, but twice. That should trump Edina losing to Minnetonka and Hopkins.

By the way, trying to spin a "they had to come back in the third period to win" into a positive for Eden Prairie doesn't work too well.

1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
High_Plains_Dangler

Post by High_Plains_Dangler »

east hockey wrote:
FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:Eden Prairie should get the #1 seed.
Eden Prairie split with Jefferson, who Edina overwhelmed. If you're going to look at this, you have to look at it both ways.

Edina beat Eden Prairie, not once, but twice. That should trump Edina losing to Minnetonka and Hopkins.

By the way, trying to spin a "they had to come back in the third period to win" into a positive for Eden Prairie doesn't work too well.

1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie

Lee
You can't always count on head to head games though to determine seeds.
Last year I believe Duluth Marshall trounced STA 7-2 in late December/early January. Yet the Cadets still received the #1 seed overall in the Tourney. I wouldn't count out the eagles not receiving the #1 seed....
However, I still feel that Edina deserves the #1 seed because of there impressive performance in the section final

1. Edina
2. Eden Prarie
3. Centennial/Blaine
4. Duluth East
Relax, Take it slow, and Let the Good Times Roll
eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 »

Edina is just like North Carolina in college basketball, no matter what happens to them during the season everyone still thinks they are the best team. That is why people believe Edina should get the #1.

Just wondering, how do they seed the teams? Do the coaches vote like sections or is there some "expert panel" somewhere?
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

eagle4life9 wrote:Edina is just like North Carolina in college basketball, no matter what happens to them during the season everyone still thinks they are the best team. That is why people believe Edina should get the #1.

Just wondering, how do they seed the teams? Do the coaches vote like sections or is there some "expert panel" somewhere?
Coaches vote like sections ranking teams 1-7 (not 8 because you don't rank your own team), the top 4 teams from that are seeded and the rest are drawn at random for the match-ups.
blueman

Post by blueman »

centennial beat edina so they should be number one after a convincing win over blaine tonight!
The Best 4th Liner

My Picks

Post by The Best 4th Liner »

1. Edina- no doubt #1 with big win over Jefferson
2. East- one of the states best no doubt about it, impressive wins over teams in tournament.
3. Eden Prairie- Looked very good last night, might even put EP ahead of East.
4.Centennial or Blaine- I am hoping Blaine
"Two minutes well worth it."
O-townClown

Edina

Post by O-townClown »

eagle4life9 wrote:Edina is just like North Carolina in college basketball, no matter what happens to them during the season everyone still thinks they are the best team.
Might it have something to do with their impressive record against top teams? Jefferson had only played Eden Prairie, who they split with during conference play.

Edina beat Eden Prairie (twice), Wayzata (four times), Holy Angels (twice), Moorhead, Benilde, Blaine, and others considered Top 10.

Yes, they lost four games. Minnetonka, Hill-Murray, Centennial, and Hopkins all used the same formula. Get up early and have excellent goaltending. I said after their fourth loss that nothing changed. Edina is beatable, but still the strongest and most feared team.

Whatever the seeds, this is the team unseeded teams from Section I, III, IV, and VIII don't want to draw.
Be kind. Rewind.
The New One

Post by The New One »

My opinion it should be clear:

1) Edina
2) Eden Prairie

These two are clearly 1 and 2 and if Edina beat them twice I cant imagine any additional discussion need to be had. If Bloomington Jefferson would have beat Edina then it might have been a flip of the coin with a nod to EP.

3) Blaine
4) Duluth East

Both teams very similar schedules and records Blaine beat East head to head they get it.

OR

3) Duluth East
4) Centennial

Although not playing a tough schedule East has been hot and Centennial has had some ups and downs. Based upon scorebox East took Elk River apart last night while Centennial had a nail biter with a very good Maple Grove team. Remember Centennial lost to Elk River a couple of weeks ago.
sllek

Post by sllek »

I'd seed the top four like this:
1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie
3. Blaine or Centennial
4. Duluth East
I could live with 3 and 4 being reversed.

If they seeded all eight (which I think they should do)
5. Moorhead
6. Cretin-Derham Hall
7. Hill-Murray or Stillwater
8. Roch. Century or Lakeville North
Johnt

Post by Johnt »

It wouldn't surprise me if they make Eden Prairie the top seed just because they were ranked number one in the state coming in to playoffs and they have not last a game since then. Does this mean I think they are the best teamand should be number one? Not by a long shot. Edina beat EP twice this season already, and Jefferson beat them once and now Edina beat Jefferson too. If they use any sort of logic whatsoever they'll have to make Edina number one, but EP will likely be number two then.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

The New One wrote:My opinion it should be clear:

1) Edina
2) Eden Prairie

These two are clearly 1 and 2 and if Edina beat them twice I cant imagine any additional discussion need to be had. If Bloomington Jefferson would have beat Edina then it might have been a flip of the coin with a nod to EP.

3) Blaine
4) Duluth East

Both teams very similar schedules and records Blaine beat East head to head they get it.

OR

3) Duluth East
4) Centennial

Although not playing a tough schedule East has been hot and Centennial has had some ups and downs. Based upon scorebox East took Elk River apart last night while Centennial had a nail biter with a very good Maple Grove team. Remember Centennial lost to Elk River a couple of weeks ago.
This looks right to me.

I don't think there's any one team that the top 4 would not want to draw, either. Obviously whoever draws the 1AA winner will be happy, but I see the other 3 as relatively even. Moorhead has had its ups and downs but is certainly capable of playing with and possibly beating anyone, as they proved with late season games with Centennial and Jefferson. Hill may not have as much talent, but they are well-coached and are the defending champions. Cretin is a bigger unknown, but has certainly been hot lately.

I think it's shaping up to be a pretty strong field.
dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan »

Should shape out like this

#1 Edina
#2 Eden Prairie
#3 Blaine
#4 Duluth East

Then the rest we have to wait.......
"Nothing Runs like a Greyhound"
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

With the random bottom half, there is absolutly NO advantage to being a 1 or 2 seed if you are EP or Edina because they will be on opposite ends of the bracket and should get the chance to prove themselves in the finals.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote: How can Edina get the #1 seed when they were'nt even a #1 in there own section.
By that logic.....Moorhead should get a higher seed than Edina.
spartanfan2121

Post by spartanfan2121 »

AA
1. Edina
2. EP
3. Blaine
4. Duluth East

Edina at 1 because of their 5-0 win against Jefferson and they beat EP twice this year and also beat Blaine.
Blaine ahead of Duluth East because of their win against DE earlier in the year.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie
3. Blaine
4. Duluth East

(unfortunately we wont get to see a Blaine/Duluth East 2000 rematch)
Since95

Post by Since95 »

In my opinion it should be this:

1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie
3. Duluth East
4. Blaine

Although, this is biased. East and Blaine both have identical records and Blaine has a win over East. I still just don't buy Blaine. Sure they crushed Centennial tonight, but usually they get to the tournament and fail to do anything. I don't see them getting by Edina or Eden Prairie either, regardless of if they get the 3 or 4 seed. So, the 3 and 4 seeds could be switched. Either way, if all four of them win, it's going to be a fun semifinal Friday night.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

Since95 wrote:In my opinion it should be this:

1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie
3. Duluth East
4. Blaine

Although, this is biased. East and Blaine both have identical records and Blaine has a win over East. I still just don't buy Blaine. Sure they crushed Centennial tonight, but usually they get to the tournament and fail to do anything. I don't see them getting by Edina or Eden Prairie either, regardless of if they get the 3 or 4 seed. So, the 3 and 4 seeds could be switched. Either way, if all four of them win, it's going to be a fun semifinal Friday night.
So because Blaine doesnt deserve the higher seed this year because of the failure of winning state tournament games in the past?

East is a good team no denying they deserve to be seeded, but Blaine had a solid win against them earlier this year. East also tied centennial on FSN night, a team that Blaine put into running time. Blaine also plays in a MUCH tougher conference and section than East does.
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

minnesotaice wrote:1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie
3. Blaine
4. Duluth East

It's possible.
HOUNDS
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

Lucia4President wrote:
2. Eden Prairie
3. Blaine
4. Duluth East

It's possible.
i mean state championship, but i guess if they both win they could play eachother in the semis
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

minnesotaice wrote:Blaine also plays in a MUCH tougher conference than East does.
This bit makes me laugh.

How exactly does one judge the quality of one's conference when one is an independent? :D

But yes, Blaine should be #3. Not that it really matters between the two.
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

minnesotaice wrote:
Lucia4President wrote:
2. Eden Prairie
3. Blaine
4. Duluth East

It's possible.
i mean state championship, but i guess if they both win they could play eachother in the semis
If they are seeded 3 and 4, they would play for the championship.
HOUNDS
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

There is little doubt they will be seeded like this...

1. Edina
2. Eden Prairie
3. Blaine
4. Duluth East
--Moorhead
--Rochester Century
--Cretin-Derham Hall
--Hill-Murray

Nothing new here though.