From Junior Gold to the big show

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

tmacjrgold

From Junior Gold to the big show

Post by tmacjrgold »

Hey guys this is the Head Coach from Rochester JRG.

Obviously I'm a big fan of the Junior Gold program so I wanted to post a quick comment.

With the high school tryouts over and the season upon us, I wanted to put a plug out here for any players or parents that may be new to JRG or have reservations about playing in the league.

All of the JRG teams in the state offer solid programs where players can skate against decent competition while honing their craft. If you happen to be a Freshman that maybe hasn't tried out for your high school, or you happen to be a Sophomore or Junior that may have been cut. If you still have aspirations to play for your high school, Junior Gold is a great place to prepare for another shot next season.

JRG isn't a black hole where you go to be forgotten, or a place where your skills diminish. Quite the opposite is true. In fact, in Rochester alone, over the past three years we've had 6 players move up or get back to the JV/Varsity level after playing Junior Gold.

That is exciting to see and proves that this league is legit. To any Seniors that may be new to Junior Gold, any coach or player from this league will confirm there is a very good chance this could be the most rewarding and fun season of hockey that you will ever play.

That's all I've got - hope everyone has a great season!
countrygentleman

Post by countrygentleman »

While this is definitely true, everybody I have ever played with on Junior Gold (three years worth) that has played JV, or VARSITY, has said they would have rather played another year of JG than a year of JV for sure. A couple have even said JG was more fun than varsity. I can't see how that would be true, but I wouldn't ever have known.

Anyhow, yes. JG is the most fun you'll have in your hockey playing days.
Iraqnam
wildthing

Post by wildthing »

countrygentleman is correct. a 40 game schedule combined with a dozen practices is great. The early league games are a little sloppy, but by January many teams are playing well. By playoff time, there will be 8 very strong teams that all have a good chance to win the state tourney.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

First of all I wanted to thank you guys for your comments. My son is a 16 year old junior who because of his grade, is not on the JV (was told JV was for sophmores this year) and did not have the skill to beat out any of the varsity Dmen so the HS coach told him he was the last kid he cut and Jr Gold would be good for him and there would be a spot on Varsity for him next year (I am highly skeptical of that since he'll be a senior next year).

It was like a funeral around our house last week, he was very depressed and kind of going through the motions of life, not good. He goes to the Jr Gold tryouts and they told him he was one of the best skaters they have seen this year but he has to play U16 because he's only 16! So he get's it from both ends. :(

How would you guys rate U16 to Jr Gold A?

I guess there is a chance that one or two of the Jr Gold A kids will leave the program so they told him he would be the first to be moved to Jr Gold if that happens.
blueblood

JGA vs, U!6

Post by blueblood »

Ponydad:

JGA is highly competitive hockey. The best JGA teams are better than most JV teams, since they are usually senior loaded. They would give several HS "A" teams a good test also.

IMO, unless you are a youth association with huge numbers (Wayzata, Edina) or an association that doesn't field a JGA team, U16 hockey is more competitive than JGB. Your son will get a chance to play many games and get a lot of ice time, which it sounds like what he needs.

Enjoy the season and tell him to have fun. Good luck.
PoniesDad45

Re: JGA vs, U!6

Post by PoniesDad45 »

blueblood wrote:Ponydad:

JGA is highly competitive hockey. The best JGA teams are better than most JV teams, since they are usually senior loaded. They would give several HS "A" teams a good test also.

IMO, unless you are a youth association with huge numbers (Wayzata, Edina) or an association that doesn't field a JGA team, U16 hockey is more competitive than JGB. Your son will get a chance to play many games and get a lot of ice time, which it sounds like what he needs.

Enjoy the season and tell him to have fun. Good luck.
Thanks for the nice post Blue. My son really likes his team and the coach. He was actually asked to move up to Junior Gold A because a kid left the association but he chose to stay on the U16.

Thanks again!
blueblood

Thanks

Post by blueblood »

NP Ponydad :)
aljrgb

Post by aljrgb »

there are many junior b teams such as the ice hawks looking into jrgb tallent let alone the jrga talent they have been over shadowed for many years and there is so much talent and skills int the jrg level of hockey that they need to look at it cause many players dont wanna quit after they graduate!!!
Bragenrights

Post by Bragenrights »

i agree that JGA is a much more competitive and talented levelof hockey than JV at least in lakeville due to all the seniors. I think it all depends on the high school weather or not they will take players back onto the high school team.
bardown33

Post by bardown33 »

PoniesDad45 wrote:First of all I wanted to thank you guys for your comments. My son is a 16 year old junior who because of his grade, is not on the JV (was told JV was for sophmores this year) and did not have the skill to beat out any of the varsity Dmen so the HS coach told him he was the last kid he cut and Jr Gold would be good for him and there would be a spot on Varsity for him next year (I am highly skeptical of that since he'll be a senior next year).

It was like a funeral around our house last week, he was very depressed and kind of going through the motions of life, not good. He goes to the Jr Gold tryouts and they told him he was one of the best skaters they have seen this year but he has to play U16 because he's only 16! So he get's it from both ends. :(

I guess there is a chance that one or two of the Jr Gold A kids will leave the program so they told him he would be the first to be moved to Jr Gold if that happens.
Best of luck to your son.

60+ kids tried out for Benlide St Margaret's this year. Many kids were cut (mostly juniors and seniors) including returning varsity letterwinners. MNHS hockey is tough to make. The important thing is he's playing the game he loves.

I would say JGA is a bit faster and more skilled, depending on the teams. You will see teams that are slow and undisciplined up at JGA and it feels like you are watching mites stuck in HS kids bodies.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

bardown33 wrote:
PoniesDad45 wrote:First of all I wanted to thank you guys for your comments. My son is a 16 year old junior who because of his grade, is not on the JV (was told JV was for sophmores this year) and did not have the skill to beat out any of the varsity Dmen so the HS coach told him he was the last kid he cut and Jr Gold would be good for him and there would be a spot on Varsity for him next year (I am highly skeptical of that since he'll be a senior next year).

Best of luck to your son.

60+ kids tried out for Benlide St Margaret's this year. Many kids were cut (mostly juniors and seniors) including returning varsity letterwinners. MNHS hockey is tough to make. The important thing is he's playing the game he loves.

I would say JGA is a bit faster and more skilled, depending on the teams. You will see teams that are slow and undisciplined up at JGA and it feels like you are watching mites stuck in HS kids bodies.
Thanks.

I have to say, this is the best thing that could have happened for him IMO. I think he's good enough to play varsity, but would probably be sitting on the bench most of the game and hanging on for dear life the entire season with fear of being bumped to JV.

On this U16 team, he is a respected member of the team and the kids voted him alternate captain! To me this is great, what he is really thinking I will never know because he really doesn't talk about it but I think he's having a great year and seems really happy.

You're right, HS hockey isn't for everyone and it isn't the only thing in life. I think this U16 is awesome personally.
blueblood

u16

Post by blueblood »

Sounds like your son is having fun and the the team is doing well, which is a huge bonus!
Play Like a Champion Today