2010-11 Open Coaching Positions

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

allhoc11

2010-11 Open Coaching Positions

Post by allhoc11 »

It's early but there are already a few openings:

Moorhead
Shakopee
Champlin Park

Are there any others?
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Why did the shakopee coach step down? does anybody know why?
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

hockey21 wrote:Why did the shakopee coach step down? does anybody know why?
This is what was in the trib,

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/83262222.html

From some of the parents that I have spoken with the girls took it pretty hard, Great Opportunity for someone to coach.
icetime123

Post by icetime123 »

Heard AHA might be looking for a new coach for next year.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

hockeya1a wrote:
hockey21 wrote:Why did the shakopee coach step down? does anybody know why?
This is what was in the trib,

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/83262222.html

From some of the parents that I have spoken with the girls took it pretty hard, Great Opportunity for someone to coach.
I always thought he did a good job with that team over the years. Too bad... Live and learn I guess.
no_shaft

Post by no_shaft »

Park of Cottage Grove has an opening.
They have had the numbers, but don't seem to hire the right people to put all the pieces of the puzzle together correctly.
allhoc11

Openings

Post by allhoc11 »

That makes 4 so far, I know GHS used to put together a list of openings, and it seemed that about 20% of jobs opened each season. It seems like the turnover in girls has been down the last couple years, and up in boys, although I have no concrete data to support. It just seems more stable the past two off-seasons.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Moorhead is taking their search serious in posting an ad in LPH last week even!
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

no_shaft wrote:Park of Cottage Grove has an opening.
They have had the numbers, but don't seem to hire the right people to put all the pieces of the puzzle together correctly.
Tough situation right now at Park and Woodbury with an eventual East Ridge program that will get the majority of the younger players in the newer part of the area I believe?
ghshockeyfan

Re: Openings

Post by ghshockeyfan »

allhoc11 wrote:That makes 4 so far, I know GHS used to put together a list of openings, and it seemed that about 20% of jobs opened each season. It seems like the turnover in girls has been down the last couple years, and up in boys, although I have no concrete data to support. It just seems more stable the past two off-seasons.
Here's the 2009 off-season thread for openings coming into the 2009-10 season:

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19699

Never really captured anything from the end of filling posiitons in 2007 (headed into 2007-8 thru the above)

And here was the thread with 2004-2007 openings (heading into the 2004-5 through 2007-8 seasons):

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9456

From 2004-2006:

2006 = 32 of 124 jobs opened this year (25.8%)
2005 = 25 of 122 jobs opened this year (20.5%).
2004 = 21 of 122 jobs opened this year (17.2%).

I haven't followed as closely, but the turnover seems to be down. This is good for the game.
RSI

Post by RSI »

You can Albert Lea to the list :D
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Thanks GHS, I knew I could count on you to pull up the old numbers. Good to see the trend towards longer tenure for coaches. I for one think stability is good for a program, although some people may not always agree.
forwards4ever

Post by forwards4ever »

Centennial Girls high school hockey coach resigned. Where do the Cougar girls go from here?

Is this good or bad for the Cougar program, anyone have any insight?

Love the players, hate the parents :lol:
talkhockey

Post by talkhockey »

What about the assistant coach who was offered the wbl job couple years ago?
Rocketwrister

job

Post by Rocketwrister »

Cloquet is looking for a new coach. Article at http://www.northlandsportsonline.com
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Dick Bartholdi is one of the most professional coaches I have ever met, they would not even have a program near the success Cloquet has had if it was not for him. I am not sure of the details but if this was a parent deal to get a new coach the grass is not always green with someone else. Dick is one of the best coaches I have ever been around.

The Centennial program will not be the same with out coach Diggins, he again has sustained a tremendous program and had tremendous success.
I heard coach Diggins took the head football job at Centennial, best of luck to him.

These are two great coaches in girls hockey at the high school level and both will be missed a ton by coaches and players. Thank you to what both of you have brought to High School Girls Hockey, it is better because of you two.
CRDirector

Post by CRDirector »

forwards4ever wrote:Centennial Girls high school hockey coach resigned. Where do the Cougar girls go from here?

Love the players, hate the parents :lol:

Not bad.....He got the head football position wth the Centennial. He will be staying on as an assistant hockey coach too.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

hockey21 wrote:Dick Bartholdi is one of the most professional coaches I have ever met, they would not even have a program near the success Cloquet has had if it was not for him. I am not sure of the details but if this was a parent deal to get a new coach the grass is not always green with someone else. Dick is one of the best coaches I have ever been around..

Nothing to do with parents from what I heard.
SEhockeyDAD

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

forwards4ever wrote:Centennial Girls high school hockey coach resigned. Where do the Cougar girls go from here?

Centennial's had an outstanding youth hockey program for years. As long as thats in place, its a good head start for a HS coach.
mnhock10

Post by mnhock10 »

SEhockeyDAD wrote:

Centennial's had an outstanding youth hockey program for years. As long as thats in place, its a good head start for a HS coach.
I couldn't agree with that statement more. You look at the well established youth programs and you look at the high school teams that have dominated their conference or section... it's not a coincidence. It's unfortunate that there are plenty of youth associations that have good numbers and good talent but the association hasn't put the pieces together to have a successful program.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

hockey21 wrote: These are two great coaches in girls hockey at the high school level and both will be missed a ton by coaches and players. Thank you to what both of you have brought to High School Girls Hockey, it is better because of you two.
I couldn't agree more, a big lose to the girls game, but best wishes to both.

One note about Cent position, if Coach Diggins is staying on as an asst, that may create some challenges for someone from outside the program to come in and take ownership of the team. My guess is they must have someone from within the program they feel comfortable with taking over the team, who will be able to work well with the former coach.
mnhockey3535

Post by mnhockey3535 »

pickme

Post by pickme »

allhoc11 wrote:
hockey21 wrote: These are two great coaches in girls hockey at the high school level and both will be missed a ton by coaches and players. Thank you to what both of you have brought to High School Girls Hockey, it is better because of you two.
I couldn't agree more, a big lose to the girls game, but best wishes to both.

One note about Cent position, if Coach Diggins is staying on as an asst, that may create some challenges for someone from outside the program to come in and take ownership of the team. My guess is they must have someone from within the program they feel comfortable with taking over the team, who will be able to work well with the former coach.
Well then my guess is that it would be Domschot...those 2 have been together a long time...I think.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

The assistant Mark Domschot would be an excellent choice. WBL missed out when he turned down the position. He knows the game very well. He is great with the players and he will help from youth on up which is huge.

I've talked with him many times and love how he promotes his players. Knows many college coaches.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

With at least 2 MIAC Women's jobs currently open I'd expect we may see some (top?) HS coaches taking these positions...