EDINA IS STATE CHAMPION!!!!!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

slapshot445

EDINA IS STATE CHAMPION!!!!!

Post by slapshot445 »

love them or hate them they are the champions, hats off to Curt Giles. He took a team with less talent than last year's team and morphed them into the best in state. Unbelievable season of hockey.
O-townClown

Re: EDINA IS STATE CHAMPION!!!!!

Post by O-townClown »

slapshot445 wrote:love them or hate them they are the champions, hats off to Curt Giles. He took a team with less talent than last year's team and morphed them into the best in state. Unbelievable season of hockey.
I was not able to watch. Did Giles show any emotion? He seems like a guy that is very even keel. (In other words, you could say he has no personality. :wink: )
Be kind. Rewind.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Congrats Hornets! They will have a very good chance to repeat just like Eden Prairie did this year.

dandydangles7

Post by dandydangles7 »

charlie taft was the best player on the ice tonight

Best of luck to him in his hockey future
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Hats off to the Hornets
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Agree about Taft. He was best F in tourney; seemed to be always around puck. Also, was Gardiner injured this weekend? Looked like he had no jump at all against both HM & Edina.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Does this championship remove the criticism towards Coach Giles, now that the monkey is back in its cage?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Goldfishdude wrote:Does this championship remove the criticism towards Coach Giles, now that the monkey is back in its cage?
At least for a year or two. :wink:
C-dad

Re: EDINA IS STATE CHAMPION!!!!!

Post by C-dad »

O-townClown wrote:
slapshot445 wrote:love them or hate them they are the champions, hats off to Curt Giles. He took a team with less talent than last year's team and morphed them into the best in state. Unbelievable season of hockey.
I was not able to watch. Did Giles show any emotion? He seems like a guy that is very even keel. (In other words, you could say he has no personality. :wink: )
He did. He was hugging people and had a big smile! He does keep his emotions in check, but he's a good guy. My kid has taken his clinic before and he's good with the young kids.
selloutcrowd99

Post by selloutcrowd99 »

Congrats to the Hornets! Doing it when no one else thought that they could!
The truth hurts
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

xwildfan wrote:Agree about Taft. He was best F in tourney; seemed to be always around puck. Also, was Gardiner injured this weekend? Looked like he had no jump at all against both HM & Edina.
I heard from multiple sources that Gardiner was playing with mono. IMO, I thought he played pretty well in the championship game. It looked like Minnetonka was just rolling two lines in the 3rd period, and Gardiner had some good scoring chances.

Anyways, Edina played a solid game. They forechecked, and backchecked well for a good portion of the game. Unlike Minnetonka, Edina was able to capatilize on their scoring chances, and that's why they're state champions.

Congratulations to the Edina Hornets.
moose27

Post by moose27 »

[quote="dandydangles7"]charlie taft was the best player on the ice tonight

Best of luck to him in his hockey future[/quote]

I believe his stock went up considerably this past week!! Played pretty inconsistent through the course of the year but man he stepped up his game when needed most. Grew on me as player over the course of the year. Went from a maybe for the USHL to a definite USHL player!!
hipcheck

Edina

Post by hipcheck »

Not an Edina fan, but they were the best team in the tourney this year. It was enjoyable watching them play strong for three games when it counted the most. Hats off to all the players and coaches.
canttouchthis

Post by canttouchthis »

dont like them but have to agree they put it together at the right time. It is whoever is hottest and has momentum that wins this tourney. Not always the over powering team that everyone picks all year long that comes out on top.
stpaul

Edina

Post by stpaul »

Congratulations to Coach Giles and the Hornets. This team is proof that it takes a team to win a state championship. Edina's group of superstars couldn't quite get it done the past 2 years but their supporting players did this year. Hat's off to them. The Yankees win the World Series and Edina wins the State HS Hockey Championship. Hate them both but the world apparently is back in it's proper order.
karl(east)

Re: Edina

Post by karl(east) »

stpaul wrote:Congratulations to Coach Giles and the Hornets. This team is proof that it takes a team to win a state championship. Edina's group of superstars couldn't quite get it done the past 2 years but their supporting players did this year. Hat's off to them. The Yankees win the World Series and Edina wins the State HS Hockey Championship. Hate them both but the world apparently is back in it's proper order.
I agree with the last part--as someone who sees both sides (huge Yankee fan, not remotely an Edina fan) I think dominant teams are a very good thing for a sport. They set a standard for everyone else to aim for and raise the bar for the entire league. They generate interest through huge fan bases, and because people love to hate them. Not only that, they're just fun to watch play.
Pinky

Post by Pinky »

So when you say you hate them, in reality you really mean you wish you were them.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
xwildfan wrote:Agree about Taft. He was best F in tourney; seemed to be always around puck. Also, was Gardiner injured this weekend? Looked like he had no jump at all against both HM & Edina.
I heard from multiple sources that Gardiner was playing with mono. IMO, I thought he played pretty well in the championship game. It looked like Minnetonka was just rolling two lines in the 3rd period, and Gardiner had some good scoring chances.

Anyways, Edina played a solid game. They forechecked, and backchecked well for a good portion of the game. Unlike Minnetonka, Edina was able to capatilize on their scoring chances, and that's why they're state champions.

I am sure that that was the spin on Gardiner from the best spin doctor in Minnesota. He had mono earlier in the year. I think he didn't have it in the first game against Roseau (when he scored 2 goals) and then he got for the next two games. Thats what I "heard". Did Bjugstad have mono?
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

flatontheice wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:

I am sure that that was the spin on Gardiner from the best spin doctor in Minnesota. He had mono earlier in the year. I think he didn't have it in the first game against Roseau (when he scored 2 goals) and then he got for the next two games. Thats what I "heard". Did Bjugstad have mono?
I don't think Bjustad had mono, who do you think that that the best spin doctor in minnesota is? I am kind of confused :?
CanadianTuxedo

Too much ice time

Post by CanadianTuxedo »

wingmaster wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote: I heard from multiple sources that Gardiner was playing with mono. IMO, I thought he played pretty well in the championship game. It looked like Minnetonka was just rolling two lines in the 3rd period, and Gardiner had some good scoring chances.

I don't think Bjustad had mono, who do you think that that the best spin doctor in minnesota is? I am kind of confused :?
I saw both Blaine games, and Bjustad, Blaines best player, was OVER played. The kid was out there almost every other shift with little rest. I understand Blanie's coach wanted his best shooters out there against a hot AV goalie, but he needed to conserve the energy of the back-bone of the team (Bjustad). Putting your best player out on every situation, PP (at the point sometimes), on PK, and most shifts is going to drain any player.