Another Hastings Raider to Shattuck?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Raider Nation Guy

Another Hastings Raider to Shattuck?

Post by Raider Nation Guy »

I heard last week at the 16's that there is another Raider leaving for Shattuck. Any truth to the rumor? Over the last 5-6 years we have lost most of the better players to this program. Why? Is there a Hastings connection down there or what?
observer

Post by observer »

The connection is it's close.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

SO you've only had 2 Good players? Z. Stepan hasn't played for Hastings since Squirts. And W. Raskop was never going to Hastings anyways. As for D. Stepan he did what was best for him and it seems to have worked out.
hockeydude25

Post by hockeydude25 »

What raider is leaving now?
breakout

Re: Another Hastings Raider to Shattuck?

Post by breakout »

Raider Nation Guy wrote:I heard last week at the 16's that there is another Raider leaving for Shattuck. Any truth to the rumor? Over the last 5-6 years we have lost most of the better players to this program. Why? Is there a Hastings connection down there or what?

Derek Stepan would be the only connection from Hastings I can think of. Certainly SSM is relatively close to Hastings and has produced some great hockey players. Got to ask yourself if it's worth paying 35K annually to play hockey. For some, the decision is yes.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Dereks cousin, Zach Stepan, is a 94 and plays for SSM. He left Hastings at Squirt age to play for the Wis Fire.

Willie Raskop, 94, grew up in Hastings his family owns Bellwood Golf Course. His older brother Charlie left Hastings for AHA and currently plays for ST Olaf. Willie was never going to Hastings as his mom thinks they are too good for thier program. He left after 1 year of bantams.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

Taylor Chorney and Michael Gergen were both from Hastings and attended SSM as well. Chorney is now in Edmonton playing for the Oiler's. Gergen was a Pittsburg draftee but he's now in Europe i think.
Also, i'm not so sure the reason Willie Raskob left Hastings is because his mom thinks he's too good?? Maybe some people just want more for their kids. Maybe the kids have a dream and they realize they'll never see it if they stay and play for Welch/Hastings. Maybe they just want more. Believe me i've been a Raider fan for many year's. I look at the kids that have left the program the last 6-8 year's and i hate to see them go too. You'd be hard pressed to find a city in ALL of Minnesota with more talented kids than Hastings has produced the last 10-15 year's.
I guess i've never quite understood the "how dare they leave" type of thinking. If you can afford it and the kid wants to be the best he can be..Why not? Some people just don't like to see other's succeed. It's that simple. They get stuck in there little box of thinking and don't know how to get out.
Let's face it, there hasn't been any passion down here for 10 plus year's and there won't be until there's a changing of the guard. High School Hockey in Mn will never be what it once was, so i for one say go for it.
I'll bet you Dustin Byfuglien doesn't regret leaving Mn high school hockey for more competition.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

not sure big buff had much choice, high school hockey wasn't an option.
Raider Nation Guy

I agree!!!

I agree with Raider Blues. When they get a new coach there, things will change. I think that the kids taht have left for Shattuck made great moves. The last three players to go to SSM from Hastings have all signed Pro deals. Chorney, (Oilers) Gergen (Europe) Stepan (Rangers). Hard to dispute them leaving, and Willie Raskob is on his way. Bottom line is a new coach probably = kids not leaving.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Welch was good enough for Taft[sp?] as far as Big Buff goes he was getting kicked out of school that is why he took the route he did.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

Well, whatever the reason Byfuglein left. The fact is, had he stayed and played Mn High School Hockey there's no way he's riding down Madison ave kissing the Cup.
I'm curious also who the Latest Raider is that's leaving? I don't recall much on the current Raider team or anyone in the next couple of years that would even stand a chance at SSM or any other Midget program for that matter.
observer

Post by observer »

That's Michigan Avenue.
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

youngblood08 wrote:Dereks cousin, Zach Stepan, is a 94 and plays for SSM. He left Hastings at Squirt age to play for the Wis Fire.

Willie Raskop, 94, grew up in Hastings his family owns Bellwood Golf Course. His older brother Charlie left Hastings for AHA and currently plays for ST Olaf. Willie was never going to Hastings as his mom thinks they are too good for thier program. He left after 1 year of bantams.
What? The mom thinks they are to good for the program :roll:
notahockeyguy

Post by notahockeyguy »

edited
Last edited by notahockeyguy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

RAIDER BLUES wrote:Well, whatever the reason Byfuglein left. The fact is, had he stayed and played Mn High School Hockey there's no way he's riding down Madison ave kissing the Cup.
Goligoski got his name on the Cup last year. He played for Grand Rapids HS. There are different paths for different kids.
observer

Post by observer »

Interesting. Not a hockey guy but you can spot 8th graders that will go D1.
Nobodyonya

Post by Nobodyonya »

notahockeyguy wrote:Trust me Willie is to good for the program. He is a D 1 player and will be fine.
Ok....Is Michaelson to good for Apple Valley? Was Bjugstad to good for Blaine? Get what I am saying? Good players stay to build the program
Reg7

Post by Reg7 »

Willie Raskop, 94, grew up in Hastings his family owns Bellwood Golf Course.

Raskob is a 95...
Geno Snipes

Post by Geno Snipes »

Everyone is different. Leaving a school has worked out for kids and so has stayin with their hometown program.

I wish i had the kind of $$$ to decide which cake-eater school i could have gone to :shock:
Raider Nation Guy

I just heard that that D-MAN that we are talking about went on a visit last week with the Shattuck coaches. I sure hope he stays, but it looks like we are going to lose another good player!!
justafan2

Post by justafan2 »

Oh please we can't take the suspense...who is it????