Are ya coming back next year?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyDad41

Are ya coming back next year?

Post by HockeyDad41 »

So it's around half way through the summer hockey season and I've started to hear folks talk about whether or not they think it's going the way it should. So my question is:

Are you happy with your decision? Feeling like you might have MMade a mistake and could have gotten a little more zing for your ching elsewhere? Jury still out? Are ya coming back next year?
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

Not signing my son up for summer hockey next year.
Not enough bang for the buck.
Penalty Box

Re: Are ya coming back next year?

Post by Penalty Box »

HockeyDad41 wrote:So it's around half way through the summer hockey season and I've started to hear folks talk about whether or not they think it's going the way it should. So my question is:

Are you happy with your decision? Feeling like you might have MMade a mistake and could have gotten a little more zing for your ching elsewhere? Jury still out? Are ya coming back next year?
Is that a coincidence? MMade = Minnesota Made? Just curious.
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

Funny...made the leap last year. After 4 summers in AAA hockey, we bailed this summer. Those 4 years were great but after a while it's just much of the same, over and over again. My son branched out into other sports this summer and in retrospect I wish I would had done it sooner. He has new life, new enthusiasm and new passion. It's fun to see.
"I find tinsel distracting"
Exnorthstar

Re: Are ya coming back next year?

Post by Exnorthstar »

[quote="HockeyDad41"]So it's around half way through the summer hockey season and I've started to hear folks talk about whether or not they think it's going the way it should. So my question is:

Are you happy with your decision? Feeling like you might have MMade a mistake and could have gotten a little more zing for your ching elsewhere? Jury still out? Are ya coming back next year?[/quote]

Finally wore me down, had to register and post something! No, we had a very rough AAA experience and an expensive one. Had two teams to choose from, made the wrong choice for our son. He wasn't ready for the team he was on, but couldn't go back. There are some very immature, unprofessional people in this business, not to mention "egotistical junior high clickish" parents. Have to really really do research and talk with a lot of people before making decisions. Luckily the organization itself was good to us.
Chipper

Post by Chipper »

I am agreeing with the not enough bang for the buck. A lot of money for little ice time and not much in the way of team building. I have two boys in AAA hockey for the first time. I have to believe the only way you may get possibly get the best return is with the "Big Boys", but after hearing all the comments on this board, I would not even take the chance if asked. My boys can learn the game at thier pace and continue to play other sports like every pro athlete ever interviewed states you should. AAA hockey sounds great as a concept, but I think there are too many variables in play to put big money towards. I guess I will just let them play roller/street hockey, work in the garage, and rely on my local association and my childs desire to improve. This will be our first, last, and only venture into summer hockey.
puckpride

Post by puckpride »

Those are some Classic lines!

similar to:

Ya my kids would have played with the Blades- but I wanted them to go fishing instead.

THe Varisty coach wanted my 8th grader to play varsity- but the practices were too long so we passed on it.

I just had to chuckle- when the summer hockey links resort to not playing because of money and being a kid and having fun.

not that I am accusing but have you ever heard this:

Ya my son is not playing summer hockey because:

- he has no drive
-he never got asked
-he only got asked to play for the worst team ever - cause the good teams werent interested
-I can see he is no where close athletically to the other kids playing AAA
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

puckpride wrote:Those are some Classic lines!

similar to:

Ya my kids would have played with the Blades- but I wanted them to go fishing instead.

THe Varisty coach wanted my 8th grader to play varsity- but the practices were too long so we passed on it.

I just had to chuckle- when the summer hockey links resort to not playing because of money and being a kid and having fun.

- he has no drive
-he never got asked
-he only got asked to play for the worst team ever - cause the good teams werent interested
puckpride- you have the class of a pig that soiled himself!
:roll:
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

Right or wrong, I waited until my kids were pee wee age to do any AAA hockey. By then they knew that they wanted to commit to hockey, but had already experienced all the other summer sports and activities. By and large, our AAA experience was very gratifying.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
Exnorthstar

Post by Exnorthstar »

[quote="puckpride"]Those are some Classic lines!

similar to:

- he has no drive
-he never got asked
-I can see he is no where close athletically to the other kids playing AAA[/quote]

Wow! Puckpride! Its exactly people like you that make AAA hockey a joke for 8/9/10 year olds. Get a life!
ALSANITI

Post by ALSANITI »

similar to:

- he has no drive
-he never got asked

I guess I could expect no less than a classless response from someone. How dare you presume to know anything about my kids or anyone elses. Just sit on your lofty perch and judge everyone else as being "less" than you while you kids burns out at 15 years old. For me it has a lot to do with money. My kids have skated with and competed with the "upper " level just fine. I am just not a doctor, lawyer, or other to be able to afford shelling out the big bucks for summer, while still making sure I have enough for the actual winter season. For those chosen ones that this is not a problem for, God bless you.

I still have yet to see why at tournament that costs $500 per team during the winter, costs $1500 during the summer. Same medals, same trophies, same player treats, etc. but three times the cost. And they wonder why it is called checkbook hockey?

Enough rambling! I see the merits for AAA and if others want to do it, more power to you. I just see the costs. It seems like everyone holds AAA hockey as the end all to be all and that if you play AAA and You are on one of the big teams, you have written your golden ticket and we will see you on draft day. Still not sold on that concept. I don't believe there is only one track to get there.
Exnorthstar

Post by Exnorthstar »

ALSANITI wrote:

similar to:

- he has no drive
-he never got asked

I guess I could expect no less than a classless response from someone. How dare you presume to know anything about my kids or anyone elses. Just sit on your lofty perch and judge everyone else as being "less" than you while you kids burns out at 15 years old. For me it has a lot to do with money. My kids have skated with and competed with the "upper " level just fine. I am just not a doctor, lawyer, or other to be able to afford shelling out the big bucks for summer, while still making sure I have enough for the actual winter season. For those chosen ones that this is not a problem for, God bless you.

I still have yet to see why at tournament that costs $500 per team during the winter, costs $1500 during the summer. Same medals, same trophies, same player treats, etc. but three times the cost. And they wonder why it is called checkbook hockey?

Enough rambling! I see the merits for AAA and if others want to do it, more power to you. I just see the costs. It seems like everyone holds AAA hockey as the end all to be all and that if you play AAA and You are on one of the big teams, you have written your golden ticket and we will see you on draft day. Still not sold on that concept. I don't believe there is only one track to get there.

Well said Alsaniti! I agree with you. AAA hockey is good, but not the "be all to end all", especially for the younger kids. Where do all these egos come from???!!!
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

Exnorthstar wrote:
ALSANITI wrote:

similar to:

- he has no drive
-he never got asked

Well said Alsaniti! I agree with you. AAA hockey is good, but not the "be all to end all", especially for the younger kids. Where do all these egos come from???!!!
Take a look at the Advanced 15 thread. Seems like a strong correlation between AAA hockey participation at a high level and selections for the national camp. AAA isn't the only path, but it's clear that it has a big impact for some.

To forestall the "a lot changes from the time they're 15..." argument -- the Blades alumni list is another example of the tie between AAA at a high level and kids who move on to play beyond highschool. Sure, not all go on, but quite a few do.
Last edited by play4fun on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

I think we fall in the "Jury Still Out" category. When I say we I mean my wife and I. The kid seems to be having a blast. From a fun factor, I rate the experience thus far pretty high.

One of the few criticisms I have is the process in which they determine the tournaments the team is entered in. It is my understanding that MM (Bernie and or his staff) has them pretty well picked out before the season begins. I am not sure if it is necessary to do this, and if so then I guess I wouldn't be so critical. However, I would like to see the coaches have some input. They know their team better and I think would maybe do a better job of finding a more appropriate level of play for the kids. Even if it's an open level tournament, the kids are going to have the most fun playing against other teams of the same calibur. They can't all wear a blades or an orange jersey, but that doesn't mean they can't have just as much fun.
ALSANITI

Post by ALSANITI »

play4fun wrote:
Exnorthstar wrote:[quote="ALSANITI

Take a look at the Advanced 15 thread. Seems like a strong correlation between AAA hockey participation at a high level and selections for the national camp. AAA isn't the only path, but it's clear that it has a big impact for some.

To forestall the "a lot changes from the time they're 15..." argument -- the Blades alumni list is another example of the tie between AAA at a high level and kids who move on to play beyond highschool. Sure, not all go on, but quite a few do.
I agree, all of the programs, like Blades are VERY impressive. I am still struggling with the fact that a person has to take out a second mortgage to make sure your kid, if he has the talent, can make it to future high level teams. I have to believe, if the kid has the talent, he will be seen. You don't have to buy looks from scouts or recruiters. Maybe I am naive and should just go back to having my head in the sand. Part of my problem may be a little jealousy as we are not anywhere close to any of the big programs to even have a shot and I can't afford it. Anyway, probably another subject for another thread " Why do you have to bankrupt your family to ensure your kid can play hockey"? On second thought, no.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Chipper wrote:I am agreeing with the not enough bang for the buck. A lot of money for little ice time and not much in the way of team building. I have two boys in AAA hockey for the first time. I have to believe the only way you may get possibly get the best return is with the "Big Boys", but after hearing all the comments on this board, I would not even take the chance if asked. My boys can learn the game at thier pace and continue to play other sports like every pro athlete ever interviewed states you should. AAA hockey sounds great as a concept, but I think there are too many variables in play to put big money towards. I guess I will just let them play roller/street hockey, work in the garage, and rely on my local association and my childs desire to improve. This will be our first, last, and only venture into summer hockey.
Don't give up on summer hockey. There are a lot of other options out there besides AAA to keep the kids skating in the summer if that's what they want to do.

Check online to see if your local rinks have "open hockey" hours

Even if your association isn't putting on any kind of inexpensive summer hockey clinic, check around at other associations within your district and sign up for one of theirs.

If you want to play in a tournament, find it online and contact each of the teams to see if they need an additional player.

Plus there are always camps and clinics and 3 on 3 leagues available.

These days a kid can stay very active in summer hockey without the cost and commitment of AAA and still have the time and flexibility to participate in other sports or family activities.
observer

Post by observer »

Next level?

In most instances kids play on AAA teams to train and increase the percentage chance of making the varsity team at their high school. Hopefully that's the next level you speak of.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Have four playing, or practice playering AAA this summer. Have been involved four four years now. [ started with my 94] I think I'm done. Not just the $$$ but the time and the bang for the buck. Our high school has an STP program for 250.00 the kids skate three days a week.[with the varsity coach] Plus they get one hour of dryland each day also. So for me I'm quite sure the varsity coach[at least at F.L.] knows more about coaching than most or all of the private sector people. My kids and I made alot of friends with the nats program, but we will be staying home and just skating STP next year.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Many of these kids get asked to play on these top teams as teenagers...... and they bounce around too. AAA hockey is a small part of the equation and many people on here think that liitle jimmy has made it as a 9 year old. The fact is that most of these kids will be nonamers in a few years.....

It is money well spent... if they have a smile on their face.
Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez »

MrBoDangles wrote:
We live about as far away from any summer hockey programs as possible, been doing it for 3 years and my son has enjoyed it, met many new friends ect.

This is a rough cost for this year.

5 tournaments/20 games @ roughly 700.00 a piece =3500.00
Fees 550.00

Average ice time per game/ 15 minutes.

It works out to be about 810.00/ per hour of ice..........He better be smiling. :wink:

It's REAL hard for me to convince myself that is money well spent.
Like I said earlier not enough bang for the buck in my case.
He will be involved in hockey next summer but it will be all local.
Exnorthstar

Post by Exnorthstar »

[quote="Benito Juarez"][quote="MrBoDangles"]

It is money well spent... if they have a smile on their face.[/quote]
We live about as far away from any summer hockey programs as possible, been doing it for 3 years and my son has enjoyed it, met many new friends ect.

Fees 550.00

It works out to be about 810.00/ per hour of ice..........He better be smiling. :wink:

He will be involved in hockey next summer but it will be all local.[/quote]

Wow did better then we did! We probably got 15 minutes of playing time PER TOURNAMENT (5 games) if even that! Granted, we definitely made the wrong choice but the "coach" painted such a perfect picture. Now we know, with AAA hockey winning is more important then playing and developing the kids, at least with this coach.
getoveryourbadself

Post by getoveryourbadself »

old goalie85 wrote:Have four playing, or practice playering AAA this summer. Have been involved four four years now. [ started with my 94] I think I'm done. Not just the $$$ but the time and the bang for the buck. Our high school has an STP program for 250.00 the kids skate three days a week.[with the varsity coach] Plus they get one hour of dryland each day also. So for me I'm quite sure the varsity coach[at least at F.L.] knows more about coaching than most or all of the private sector people. My kids and I made alot of friends with the nats program, but we will be staying home and just skating STP next year.
Agreed. We also have a STP program -- while it lacks the glamour and prestige of playing "AAA", overall the development is better. We, too, are done with summer hockey AAA - our first and last summer season - having played on 2 different teams. Bang for the buck is just not there.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Benito Juarez wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Fees 550.00

He will be involved in hockey next summer but it will be all local.
Smile from Summer camps, stp, 3 day clinics, or even AAA is what I was talking about. :wink:

Never expect MUCH development, or ice time out of games and tournaments it's a total waste of resources summer or winter. Teams could get more development playing an older team in house without all of the delays...... No 10 hour drives NEEDED.

MOST Summer teams are not too far off price wise (per practice hour) compared to association hockey.
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

In most instances kids play on AAA teams to train and increase the percentage chance of making the varsity team at their high school. Hopefully that's the next level you speak of.
Cliffy:
Bernie told us 5 years ago that elite players don't play high school hockey. He said if our kids played high school it would be considered a failure.

:shock:
"I find tinsel distracting"
puckpride

Post by puckpride »

My apologies guys-

I was on a different page of thought- i sent my 3 kids through AAA hockey and enjoyed all of it and was always critized that I was trying to buy my kids a chance at the pros.

I certainly was out of line with what i said- I meant to direct it to the people that critize MM hockey and other programs where some of us dump a lot of money in hockey. I love the sport and my kids did and do as much.

I was classless on my quotes and out of line- I apologize!!

But as we all have opinions- some kids would rather play summer hockey than sit in a boat or on a baseball and I guess i always got critized for doing to much and I was feeling those bitter feelings when I wrote my comments!

Sorry guys!