Top 2001 AAA team

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

lkool

Top 2001 AAA team

Post by lkool »

What is the top AAA team in Minnesota for birth year 2001?

Your opinions..
muckandgrind

Re: Top 2001 AAA team

Post by muckandgrind »

lkool wrote:What is the top AAA team in Minnesota for birth year 2001?

Your opinions..
Who cares? They're NINE. :shock:
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

How is the Skate to Excellence 2001 team doing this year? Anyone have a kid with them? I have also heard some good things out of the Minnesota Legacy program for their 2001 group.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

Since we're going down this road....can anyone tell me who is the top AAA team for birth year 2009?
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

There's really no need to be like that. This could be a useful thread. Maybe someone is looking for a 2001 program for their kid and can glean some information that will help them make a better choice.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

muckandgrind wrote:Since we're going down this road....can anyone tell me who is the top AAA team for birth year 2009?
The bored discussed the 2000 squads last year. And the 99s the year before last. No different talking about 2001s this year. It's a pattern that will repeat. If you don't care anymore because your son is now older, choose a different thread. Obviously the parents of the 2001s care.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

play4fun wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:Since we're going down this road....can anyone tell me who is the top AAA team for birth year 2009?
The bored discussed the 2000 squads last year. And the 99s the year before last. No different talking about 2001s this year. It's a pattern that will repeat. If you don't care anymore because your son is now older, choose a different thread. Obviously the parents of the 2001s care.
Sorry, but I just think it's ludicrous to start discussing who the "top" team of 9 year olds are. Do we discuss who the top 4th grade flag football teams in the state are? Do we discuss who the top coach-pitch little league teams in the state are? It's just as crazy to start ranking summer hockey teams made up of 9 year olds.

There is no such thing as a "top" 2001 birth year team. Why? Simply put, at the age of 9, players don't yet even know HOW to play as a "team". Most of these kids are just a year removed from Mites for cripes sake. All you have is a couple of kids who can take over a game by skating the puck up and down the rink on their own. Team play is not even in their vocabulary, and it shouldn't be yet.

Ever wonder why Let's Play Hockey doesn't rank Squirts like they do for PeeWees (U12's) and up?

Talk to me in a few years when the kids have a understanding of the game.....at least wait until they are 12 years old before thumping your chest about who the "top" teams are for gawd's sake. It's discussions like this that perpetuates the stereotypes of nutty hockey parents.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

muckandgrind wrote: There is no such thing as a "top" 2001 birth year team. Why? Simply put, at the age of 9, players don't yet even know HOW to play as a "team". Most of these kids are just a year removed from Mites for cripes sake. All you have is a couple of kids who can take over a game by skating the puck up and down the rink on their own. Team play is not even in their vocabulary, and it shouldn't be yet.
I tend to disagree...the tournaments i have seen this year, I am not sure I have seen "ONE" kid go end to end or dominate a game. Times are changing.

You see a lot of d to d, regroups, nice breakouts, wide passes, even seen some teams that can cycle...

That being said...they are 9...and when you are 9, well you are 9. Some will be studs...some will never make a HS team

But as long as they assemble teams and play in tournaments...it is fair game to compare the "teams"

Obviously the Blades & Machine are at the top...after that there is kind of a jumble...Stars, Wings, Torspo, Easton are all quality teams that I have seen.
ThePuckStopsHere

Re: Top 2001 AAA team

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

lkool wrote:What is the top AAA team in Minnesota for birth year 2001?

Your opinions..
After spending all morning discussing this with my AAA Hockey insiders, I would have to say the best 2001 team is YOUR SONS =D>

Congratulations you must be very proud :roll:
Pucksahater

Post by Pucksahater »

Please do not waste time of the all seeing, high and mighty Muck with this dribble. I actually saw 01 Blades game and they look pretty good and the little tykes even responded to coaching.
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Pucksahater wrote:Please do not waste time of the all seeing, high and mighty Muck with this dribble. I actually saw 01 Blades game and they look pretty good and the little tykes even responded to coaching.
Are you sure your not Muck?? Or at least Mucks lover, you should come up with another name MucksaHater I think it fits you well :lol: :lol:
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

muckandgrind wrote:
play4fun wrote:
Sorry, but I just think it's ludicrous to start discussing who the "top" team of 9 year olds are. Do we discuss who the top 4th grade flag football teams in the state are? Do we discuss who the top coach-pitch little league teams in the state are? It's just as crazy to start ranking summer hockey teams made up of 9 year olds.

There is no such thing as a "top" 2001 birth year team. Why? Simply put, at the age of 9, players don't yet even know HOW to play as a "team". Most of these kids are just a year removed from Mites for cripes sake. All you have is a couple of kids who can take over a game by skating the puck up and down the rink on their own. Team play is not even in their vocabulary, and it shouldn't be yet.

Ever wonder why Let's Play Hockey doesn't rank Squirts like they do for PeeWees (U12's) and up?

Talk to me in a few years when the kids have a understanding of the game.....at least wait until they are 12 years old before thumping your chest about who the "top" teams are for gawd's sake. It's discussions like this that perpetuates the stereotypes of nutty hockey parents.
If you're trying to convey a message of wisdom, it's getting lost in all the arrogance. Telling parents that their 9 year olds aren't even worthy of discussion is condenscending at best. Let's see, "talk to me in a few years," "ever wonder why," "for gawd's sake," "it's discussions like this..."

You seem to fit a stereotype as well.

From what I've seen, a lot changes every year. From mites to beyond bantams. Does that mean that parents shouldn't discuss teams until after they've moved on to ??? (insert whatever makes you happy).

At the 2001 level, kids who are rockstars this year may not be next year. Same thing happens at squirts, peewees, and bantams. Although, it is true that the truly gifted players become more established and identifiable as they age, that doesn't mean parents of younger skaters are any less proud of their kids and their activities (I won't call them "accomplishments" lest I offend someone with a finer sense of grammatical correctness).

The point you might have been trying to make is something like, relax folks? It all changes fast? Teams go through change, players go through change -- just enjoy your kid and support them as they grow and develop? That might have been your message. Might have been.
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

I've also heard good things about the 2001 legacy group. Blades and Machine have good core groups.

Disclaimer: I don't have a 2001.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

play4fun wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:
play4fun wrote: The bored discussed the 2000 squads last year. And the 99s the year before last. No different talking about 2001s this year. It's a pattern that will repeat. If you don't care anymore because your son is now older, choose a different thread. Obviously the parents of the 2001s care.

If you're trying to convey a message of wisdom, it's getting lost in all the arrogance. Telling parents that their 9 year olds aren't even worthy of discussion is condenscending at best. Let's see, "talk to me in a few years," "ever wonder why," "for gawd's sake," "it's discussions like this..."

From what I've seen, a lot changes every year. From mites to beyond bantams. Does that mean that parents shouldn't discuss teams until after they've moved on to ??? (insert whatever makes you happy).

At the 2001 level, kids who are rockstars this year may not be next year. Same thing happens at squirts, peewees, and bantams. Although, it is true that the truly gifted players become more established and identifiable as they age, that doesn't mean parents of younger skaters are any less proud of their kids and their activities (I won't call them "accomplishments" lest I offend someone with a finer sense of grammatical correctness).

The point you might have been trying to make is something like, relax folks? It all changes fast? Teams go through change, players go through change -- just enjoy your kid and support them as they grow and develop? That might have been your message. Might have been.
Who's saying that? Talk all you want about your kids. Ask opinions about coaches and the like. But actually ranking "top" teams of 9 year olds is ludicrous.

Let me give you an example of why I feel this way.....Like most of us on these boards, I'm at the rink quite a bit for practices and/or tournaments and I've watched plenty of hockey games between 9 and 10 year olds. And I'm amazed at the conduct of the parents watching those games. I've never seen so many parents get so involved in what's going on: "MOVE YOUR FEET!!!!" "MAKE THE CALL REF!!!!!!!" "PASS THE PUCK!!!!!" I mean it's crazy, these kids are 9 and 10 years old. It's one thing if we're talking about Bantams or High School, but these kids are first year squirts!!!

As I listened to that, I thought back to when my oldest was the same age and recalled that I heard the same stuff back then as well, and I remembered talking to another dad who was just sitting there shaking his head. He offered up his opinion that the parents doing the yelling must be new to this experience. When he said that I looked around and noticed he was right, most of the parents who were the most vocal and in to the game where the ones who had their oldest child on the rink. The ones that have been through this before were, for the most part, calm and relaxed and had learned to put this all in perspective.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that parents need to chill out. In a couple of years, you'll look back and realize that it was pretty foolish to rank 9 year old kids. It seems as though hockey is the only sport where this takes place. Does a 9 year old care who is better: the Machine or Blades? Do they care who gets to go to the Brick? They don't care, why should you?

So, to sum it all up.....someone coming onto a message board asking others who the "top" team of 9 year olds in the State is someone who, I believe, is not keeping things in perspective. My bet is that they are hoping that someone mentions the team that their 9 year old plays for.

Just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone by it.
Dave's a mess!

Post by Dave's a mess! »

muckandgrind wrote:
play4fun wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

muckandgrind wrote:
play4fun wrote:
muckandgrind wrote: Sorry, but I just think it's ludicrous to start discussing who the "top" team of 9 year olds are. Do we discuss who the top 4th grade flag football teams in the state are? Do we discuss who the top coach-pitch little league teams in the state are? It's just as crazy to start ranking summer hockey teams made up of 9 year olds.

Who's saying that? Talk all you want about your kids. Ask opinions about coaches and the like. But actually ranking "top" teams of 9 year olds is ludicrous.

Let me give you an example of why I feel this way.....Like most of us on these boards, I'm at the rink quite a bit for practices and/or tournaments and I've watched plenty of hockey games between 9 and 10 year olds. And I'm amazed at the conduct of the parents watching those games. I've never seen so many parents get so involved in what's going on: "MOVE YOUR FEET!!!!" "MAKE THE CALL REF!!!!!!!" "PASS THE PUCK!!!!!" I mean it's crazy, these kids are 9 and 10 years old. It's one thing if we're talking about Bantams or High School, but these kids are first year squirts!!!

As I listened to that, I thought back to when my oldest was the same age and recalled that I heard the same stuff back then as well, and I remembered talking to another dad who was just sitting there shaking his head. He offered up his opinion that the parents doing the yelling must be new to this experience. When he said that I looked around and noticed he was right, most of the parents who were the most vocal and in to the game where the ones who had their oldest child on the rink. The ones that have been through this before were, for the most part, calm and relaxed and had learned to put this all in perspective.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that parents need to chill out. In a couple of years, you'll look back and realize that it was pretty foolish to rank 9 year old kids. It seems as though hockey is the only sport where this takes place. Does a 9 year old care who is better: the Machine or Blades? Do they care who gets to go to the Brick? They don't care, why should you?

So, to sum it all up.....someone coming onto a message board asking others who the "top" team of 9 year olds in the State is someone who, I believe, is not keeping things in perspective. My bet is that they are hoping that someone mentions the team that their 9 year old plays for.

Just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone by it.
That was the tone of your previous post as I read it. I agree with what you've said in this post, and thought that's what you were trying to say before -- in a roundabout way. :wink:

Again I don't have a 2001, but don't see the harm in young parents following in the path of older parents before them. It's a path that's not new, but new to them. Everyone seems to turn out okay despite the repeated mistakes. It's no different than when we watch our kids go through some of the same growing pains we did.

I do disagree with you that 9 year olds don't know how to play as a team. They can pass, learn the basics of the positions they play, etc. They're not polished, nor highly skilled, but they're trying and learning. It's not an individual sport, whether or not a few kids can skate circles around the rest.

Are you telling me that just because a 9 year old isn't running a penalty kill yet that they aren't playing "team" hockey? If that's true, I've seen an awful lot of 4th graders do a pretty good imitation of playing as a football team. Must just be spontaneous chaos that somehow ends up looking like some blocking and handoffs that end up in something that looks like a running play. Sometimes the group of 4th graders on the other side of the ball even tackle the halfba--- er, kid with the ball. I've even heard parents compare 4th grade football teams. It's just talk and doesn't mean anything in the long run. But parents do talk and "rank" teams. Hockey is no different.
Ugh

Post by Ugh »

If you are a parent of a skater involved in whatever year is being discussed, then the conversation matters, the games matter, etc. and rightfully so because it is pertinent to your kid. There's no shame in caring and there's no lack of wisdom in hooting and hollering at games.

If you're not the parent of an involved skater, then none of what gets posted on this forum really matters beyond the point of passing time reading these forums instead of doing something else with your time.
DMom

I can't believe I broke my silence for this.

Post by DMom »

Ugh wrote:If you are a parent of a skater involved in whatever year is being discussed, then the conversation matters, the games matter, etc. and rightfully so because it is pertinent to your kid. There's no shame in caring and there's no lack of wisdom in hooting and hollering at games.

If you're not the parent of an involved skater, then none of what gets posted on this forum really matters beyond the point of passing time reading these forums instead of doing something else with your time.
No, I am a parent of a skater involved at the 2001 level and I could care less to rank the teams, if you and your child are happy with the team, if you and your child are being treated with respect, if your child is improving those things I care about. Which team is better? No. Some of these programs are better because they treat kids like crap, you write your check there, I'll write mine where my son is happy and getting better. Course, he's not my oldest skater and I'm a muck lover :lol:
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

Ugh wrote:If you are a parent of a skater involved in whatever year is being discussed, then the conversation matters, the games matter, etc. and rightfully so because it is pertinent to your kid. There's no shame in caring and there's no lack of wisdom in hooting and hollering at games.

There most certainly is shame in that. Cheer on your player/team, don't yell AT them or AT the refs.
checco33

top 2001 aaa team

Post by checco33 »

Can we keep the soccer mom mentality out of hockey? How stupid to say, why do we rank them..they're nine. Well then, why do we keep score? I suppose these are the same people that think we should give them all medals for just showing up. Go cheer on your favorite kids soccer team with all the mom's and armies of mini vans. The kids this age pass the puck, run successful breakouts, and play team defense. Imagine that.....
Last edited by checco33 on Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
muckandgrind

Re: top 2001 aaa team

Post by muckandgrind »

checco33 wrote:Monopoly 2001 team is very solid. Won the Meltdown. Took second in the International cup. Half the team is made up of 2002's which makes it even more impressive.

Can we keep the soccer mom mentality out of hockey? How stupid to say, why do we rank them..they're nine. Well then, why do we keep score? I suppose these are the same people that think we should give them all medals for just showing up. Go cheer on your favorite kids soccer team with all the mom's and armies of mini vans. The kids this age pass the puck, run successful breakouts, and play team defense. Imagine that.....
Big difference.

....and I'm not one of those "soccer moms", believe me. I love watching kids compete, I just thinks it's kinda "dorky" for the parents to worry about ranking 9 year olds....again - hockey is the only sport that brings out these discussions. I bet you're one of those parents who wear a jacket or sweatshirt with the logo of your kids AAA team on it. I think the parents who sport the team colors (and are not coaches) are the same ones who like to rank the kids.

And, they don't "pass the puck, run successful breakouts and play team defense" as well as you think they do. Maybe you talked yourself into believing that. These kids are usually more interested in the free giveaways they get at the tournaments than they are about playing the game.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

muckandgrind wrote: hockey is the only sport that brings out these discussions.
I think that is a product of the state we live in...hockey is the top dog here so people are thus the most passionate about it

You don't have to get very far south for this type of discussion to turn to baseball...or football...or basketball...or beauty pagents

AAA hockey is a very big part of the "new" minnesota hockey landscape...and as long as they have teams...people will talk...The fact that people are here at all discussing...shows that it is
CoachMan

Post by CoachMan »

muckandgrind wrote:
checco33 wrote:Monopoly 2001 team is very solid. Won the Meltdown. Took second in the International cup. Half the team is made up of 2002's which makes it even more impressive.

Big difference.

....and I'm not one of those "soccer moms", believe me. I love watching kids compete, I just thinks it's kinda "dorky" for the parents to worry about ranking 9 year olds....again - hockey is the only sport that brings out these discussions. I bet you're one of those parents who wear a jacket or sweatshirt with the logo of your kids AAA team on it. I think the parents who sport the team colors (and are not coaches) are the same ones who like to rank the kids.

And, they don't "pass the puck, run successful breakouts and play team defense" as well as you think they do. Maybe you talked yourself into believing that. These kids are usually more interested in the free giveaways they get at the tournaments than they are about playing the game.
I am trying to figure out if you really are that much of a poor sport or if you are just trying to get the board riled up! I applaud those that support their childs team by wearing team colors! I know for one my kid was super pumped to see his grandfather buy a team jacket with his number on it! My kids face lit right up. What is wrong with that? Remember, its about the kids!!! I personally am glad that you are not apart of a team that I run. YOur negativeness and your "their 9, this hockey doesn't matter crap" really gets old fast and brings everyone else down. I want the kids to live for the moment!
If you really believe that young kids can't run a break out or play defense properly or do regroups then you are sadly mistaken. You really need to get out and watch some of these teams play! If you say you have then you haven't watched the right ones! Heck, one game I watched I saw an 02 team playing the box on a pk to almost perfection. I have watched 01 teams cycle the puck down low and then create an excellent scoring chance etc. THere are alot of examples of the YOUNG teams doing things that are far beyond their age levels! Time for you to take your head out of your butt and start applauding these kids for what they are able to do! I think it is great to watch these youngsters play at such a high level!
Goalie Dude

Post by Goalie Dude »

The fact that your kid's face lit up about the jacket confirms what Muck said. They're more excited about things like that then the rankings. They're 9, that's what they should get excited about. I don't think it's wrong to support your kid by wearing team attire, but as your kids get older they really could care less about it. Let your kid be 9 and watch them learn and grow. Cheer them on and support them, but do realize that they are still 9 and the rankings really don't mean crap. Once they hit a pee-wee level, some of the best players from squirts get scared about the checking and are suddenly not that great. Some of the kids that were small grow and become much better. Enjoy your kids at 9 for what they're learning, not about where they are ranked and if they play on the best AAA team. In the end, it really doesn't matter.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

CoachMan wrote:
muckandgrind wrote:

Big difference.

I am trying to figure out if you really are that much of a poor sport or if you are just trying to get the board riled up! I applaud those that support their childs team by wearing team colors! I know for one my kid was super pumped to see his grandfather buy a team jacket with his number on it! My kids face lit right up. What is wrong with that? Remember, its about the kids!!! I personally am glad that you are not apart of a team that I run. YOur negativeness and your "their 9, this hockey doesn't matter crap" really gets old fast and brings everyone else down. I want the kids to live for the moment!
If you really believe that young kids can't run a break out or play defense properly or do regroups then you are sadly mistaken. You really need to get out and watch some of these teams play! If you say you have then you haven't watched the right ones! Heck, one game I watched I saw an 02 team playing the box on a pk to almost perfection. I have watched 01 teams cycle the puck down low and then create an excellent scoring chance etc. THere are alot of examples of the YOUNG teams doing things that are far beyond their age levels! Time for you to take your head out of your butt and start applauding these kids for what they are able to do! I think it is great to watch these youngsters play at such a high level!
You misinterpreting what I'm saying......Of course, "it's about the kids" - that's what I'm saying. It's not about the dads up in the stands screaming at them, the opposing players and the refs. It's not about the dads wearing the team jacket so he can thump his chest, it's not about the dads who are on a Internet message board talking trash about other AAA teams, it's not about the dads on an Internet message board ranking nine year old kids.

And, BTW, I should've said there is a CORRELATION between the parents sporting the team jackets and the ones who take it too seriously. Not all, but many. Start observing (objectively) and you will agree with me.

I've been to more AAA games between 9 year olds than you can imagine. All three of my boys have gone through it already. Sure, when you first go through it, you are "amazed by the skill and team play", but in reality, it's not team play but a couple of kids who have developed a little quicker than the others and take over the game. Even though I don't have a son playing at that age anymore, I still watch the youngsters play if I happen to be at the rink when they are.

Is it really the kids, as you said, "living for the moment"? Or is it the parents living through their kids? There's nothing wrong at all with a parent encouraging their young player along, but I'm seeing some really crazy stuff out there that goes way over the line.
If you really believe that young kids can't run a break out or play defense properly or do regroups then you are sadly mistaken
I see so-called "elite" HS -age players have trouble with this and you're telling me that 8 and 9 year olds have this nailed down already?!? Really? I've watched all these young AAA teams play: Blades, Machine, etc. What I see are a bunch of cute little "waterbugs" (and I say that endearingly), who are decent skaters for their age, carry the puck up and down the ice. Sure, they can execute the occasional pass. But they are not playing "proper" defense, nor can they execute a break out with proficiency while under duress. As they shouldn't, they are 8 and 9. That's not a rip on them, that's just a fact of life.

You parents seriously need to get a grip. Relax, enjoy watching your kid grow and develop. Quick ranking them. At least give them a couple of years before doing so.
Last edited by muckandgrind on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.