A Blades Bait and switch?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

yost toast

A Blades Bait and switch?

Post by yost toast »

Here is something interesting.

I register my son for the Jr. Blades thinking that we would be skating at St. Louis Park. Now I find out that it is at Hat Trick! Which is that little rink that has a tractor for a zamboni. It stinks and makes my head hurt when I am in there. No Parking!!!!

I have had enought of that place last year with Edina. Now I read that I cannot get my money back. "in St. Louis Park" why not tell us it is at hat trick?

From the Blades web site.
The Jr. Blades Development Program meets on Wednesday nights in St. Louis Park and Sunday afternoons at Mariucci Arena, from October through February
trippedovertheblueline

Re: A Blades Bait and switch?

Post by trippedovertheblueline »

yost toast wrote:Here is something interesting.

I register my son for the Jr. Blades thinking that we would be skating at St. Louis Park. Now I find out that it is at Hat Trick! Which is that little rink that has a tractor for a zamboni. It stinks and makes my head hurt when I am in there. No Parking!!!!

I have had enought of that place last year with Edina. Now I read that I cannot get my money back. "in St. Louis Park" why not tell us it is at hat trick?

From the Blades web site.
The Jr. Blades Development Program meets on Wednesday nights in St. Louis Park and Sunday afternoons at Mariucci Arena, from October through February
Did you call and ask? First step possibly?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Bait and switch would be promising one thing and delivering another.
Be kind. Rewind.
HockeyDad2016

Post by HockeyDad2016 »

Hat Trick is located in "St. Louis Park"
The Huge Hook

Post by The Huge Hook »

Purposely left out the venue as it is not desirable.........that's deceptive! There is a huge difference between Hat Trick and the St. Louis Park arenas, one might make a clear distinction when advertising a program.
chew them up

Post by chew them up »

That rink seriously sucks. I would be mad if I wasn't told.
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

deleted
Last edited by play4fun on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I promise you the kids don't care.

It's indoors, right? Huge, how does it compare to the Hopkins Bubble? In all my years of hockey I think that's the only place where I felt it was beneath me.

The Czechs turn out world-class players and I think they skate about 35-40 adults to a practice. Somehow I think these kids will get better even though they are at Hat Trick.
Be kind. Rewind.
Goalie Dude

Post by Goalie Dude »

Well said, the kids shouldn't care. My kid used to complain about the back rinks at Schwans. I quickly reminded him of how lucky he is to be suffering at such a great place. He realized what he said and now he doesn't complain. Parents shouldn't be complaining either in my opinion. We have the best rinks in the cities, so your kid is playing at one a the bad ones. Is it really that bad, or is your kid just spoiled like mine was? Move out of town, you'll find out what a bad rink really is. Especially the ones outside when it's below zero.
JSR

Post by JSR »

It should only be an issue if there is a safety problem (ie poisonous gas leaking, shotty boards where kids can get legitimately hurt etc...) if ther eis no "safety" issue and it's just an old rink I'd say get over it. If the instruction is good and the kids have fun who cares.
StayAtHomeD

Post by StayAtHomeD »

:lol:
scrapiron

Post by scrapiron »

I don't think that the issue was about the quality of the rink, I think the first post was about the fact that they felt tricked. I think most people reading that text would think that it was going to be held at St. Louis Park rather than Hat Trick.

To be upfront they should have said Hat Trick in the ad. Why they did not is because Hat Trick is a lower quality arena.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

In case anyone is confused; Hat Trick is the 3on3 rink, which is obviously much smaller than a standard "full ice" arena. This is what has most likely caused the disappointment with the original poster. Not saying a phone call wouldn't have cleared this up, but the distinction should have been made on the website. Quite possible that there are plenty of families out there that do not know what "Hat Trick" is; or that is a smaller, 3on3 rink.
trippedovertheblueline

Deep Breath wrote:In case anyone is confused; Hat Trick is the 3on3 rink, which is obviously much smaller than a standard "full ice" arena. This is what has most likely caused the disappointment with the original poster. Not saying a phone call wouldn't have cleared this up, but the distinction should have been made on the website. Quite possible that there are plenty of families out there that do not know what "Hat Trick" is; or that is a smaller, 3on3 rink.
But did he/she call and demand his/her money back? As of the posting, no. Why not? Are they still doing the program? Doesn't Velocity and Total Hockey in Lakeville run or use to run a mite program to compliment the association programs?
terrymoore17

Post by terrymoore17 »

Yes, we will be at Hat Trick Wednesday nights. In the next paragraph on the web site it explains the program, including the fact that Wednesday games will be played on a small rink:

"The program will include 90 minutes clinics with Coach Steffen on Sundays (24 total hours of skills training) and small area games (18 - 1 hour games) with 2002 Blades coaches and others on Wednesdays."

That this would lead someone to believe we play at the SLP Rec Center never occurred to me, but I see now how it could happen.

We have a waiting list. If you are registered and feel slighted, contact us.

Now the rest of the story:
-Yost never called or wrote us. No registered family has expressed any confusion.
-I sent Yost a private message on Wednesday to contact me, but he has not responded
-This is allegedly Yost's first post. Its pretty inflammatory for a first post from a guy who did not even call us first (bait and switch? Really?).
-Does anyone really think that Yost joined the forum for the first time so he could publicly roast us instead calling us to clear up the problem?

This is the problem with anonymous posts.
Last edited by terrymoore17 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

scrapiron wrote:I don't think that the issue was about the quality of the rink, I think the first post was about the fact that they felt tricked. I think most people reading that text would think that it was going to be held at St. Louis Park rather than Hat Trick.

To be upfront they should have said Hat Trick in the ad. Why they did not is because Hat Trick is a lower quality arena.
Are you saying it's "lower quality" because the ice is crappy, or just because it's a smaller surface? If your answer is the latter, then you need to get a grip. There is NOTHING low quality about playing small area games on a smaller surface. I've had kids play in 3v3 leagues at Parade in the past and they both loved it. Not only that, but I believe it improved their playmaking ability as well as forced them to be more creative with the puck.

Who cares if Hat Trick doesn't have great parking? Drop the kid off, go to the nearest Starbucks and read a book for an hour and then be parked outside the front door to pick them up when they are on their way out. Simple.
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

muckandgrind wrote: Drop the kid off, go to the nearest Starbucks and read a book for an hour and then be parked outside the front door to pick them up when they are on their way out. Simple.
if u could actually get parents to do that i'd personally appoint ewe....ah nevermind it will never happen
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Small ice no big deal for kids. Put N.H.L. players on full sheet that equals 02's on small surface. O2's don't needfull sheet.
hockeydad11

Post by hockeydad11 »

Does anyone really believe Terry Moore when he said "that it never occurred to him". He is an attorney! That's what attorneys do, they twist the facts.

How many district 6 kids are you putting into this program? Below is what was just put on the District 6 web site about kids doing both their asscoication and outside programs.

New Rules - Leagues
District 6 recognizes that participation on a District 6 youth hockey team is a time intensive and competitive activity and, in the spirit of advancing the overall best interests of both its youth participants and the District 6 teams, has determined as follows:

A player registered with a District 6 member association may not register or play hockey with any other organization, association or team during the winter hockey season, including playoffs. If a player is found to be registered or playing with another team, the District Director will determine, in their sole discretion, what sanction shall be assessed which may include, without limitation, suspension for the remainder of the District 6 winter hockey season, including playoffs.

Looks like they don't like the idea of you doing both. No matter how "tender the age". Better get to work M.r Attorney man.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

hockeydad11 wrote:Does anyone really believe Terry Moore when he said "that it never occurred to him". He is an attorney! That's what attorneys do, they twist the facts.

How many district 6 kids are you putting into this program? Below is what was just put on the District 6 web site about kids doing both their asscoication and outside programs.

New Rules - Leagues
District 6 recognizes that participation on a District 6 youth hockey team is a time intensive and competitive activity and, in the spirit of advancing the overall best interests of both its youth participants and the District 6 teams, has determined as follows:

A player registered with a District 6 member association may not register or play hockey with any other organization, association or team during the winter hockey season, including playoffs. If a player is found to be registered or playing with another team, the District Director will determine, in their sole discretion, what sanction shall be assessed which may include, without limitation, suspension for the remainder of the District 6 winter hockey season, including playoffs.

Looks like they don't like the idea of you doing both. No matter how "tender the age". Better get to work M.r Attorney man.
Sounds to me that District 6 is the one who has the problem. Aren't you a Bernie-Backer? Isn't he the one that runs the Choice League? Doesn't that conflict with association hockey as well?

How come the OP has never contacted him over their concerns about having to suffer the indiginity of playing on a studio rink???? Where is the OP now?

At least Terry Moore has the guts to come on this board and represent himself. Gotta give him credit for that. If you want to take him on, I suggest that you name yourself and quit hiding behind your moniker.
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

hockeydad11 wrote:Does anyone really believe Terry Moore when he said "that it never occurred to him". He is an attorney! That's what attorneys do, they twist the facts.

New Rules - Leagues

Terry Moore is a good guy who is just trying to keep improving hockey in Minnesota and really doesn't deserve your comments. Nowhere in their information does it state that ice is at the SLP rec center.

Both Minnesota Made and this Blades program provide additional or alternative opportunities for kids to improve their play. Associations need to reflect on programs that are supplemental or competitive and decide what kind of product they want to offer to compete. If associations are providing their membership with a quality product, they will have no problems.

District 6's position - if what you have posted is true - is ridiculous. It is odd as Minnesota Hockey's rules already restrict a kid from playing on two USA Hockey registered rosters during the season. A kid choosing to skate at MN Made, or the Blades Program is no different in my mind than a kid that chooses to use his extra time to join a basketball team, ski team, or other organized activity during the hockey season. The rule is completely uninforceable and ridiculous if it was put in place to restrict supplemental programs or Choice hockey.

In the past, the kids would all just hang out at the local warming house and skate all day for development. It was always ok by MN Hockey for kids to get their supplemental hockey by playing pick-up at the park. Times have changed. What's wrong with supplemental programs for those that want kids to skate as much as kids did 30 years ago (when kids utilized park time to grow their game)?

So hockeydad.....lay off Terry Moore and the Blades. They are providing a program to help improve the quality of hockey players in Minnesota. You may not like it and it strays from the nostalgia and love of the game many of us have from 30 years ago, but there is nothing wrong with what is being provided.
O-townClown

question of ignorance

Post by O-townClown »

Remember, I'm 1500 miles away. I honestly don't know. Aren't Mites below District 6's reach?
Be kind. Rewind.
trippedovertheblueline

New Rules - Leagues
District 6 recognizes that participation on a District 6 youth hockey team is a time intensive and competitive activity and, in the spirit of advancing the overall best interests of both its youth participants and the District 6 teams, has determined as follows

Mite playoffs are in jeopardy? I hope they play them outside in D6 at least.
eastondude

Post by eastondude »

We had dealings with Terry Moore he has been completly self-serving and to put it kindly he is not a good guy. He is your best buddy if you can help him get what he wants. He is a snake.

Terry nice showing at the Brick this year.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

eastondude wrote:We had dealings with Terry Moore he has been completly self-serving and to put it kindly he is not a good guy. He is your best buddy if you can help him get what he wants. He is a snake.

Terry nice showing at the Brick this year.
You are a coward eastondude.