Wisconsin Fire

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

This is silly!

Wisconsin Fire

Post by This is silly! »

What's the latest scoop on the status of all the Fire teams. 98s are dead for "administrative issues with Wisconsin Hockey" as stated in their apology letter (yeah right) - but I what's the deal with the Fire as a whole for now? I heard that ALL teams may be dead because of problems with USA hockey?

Feedback please. . .
thespellchecker

Re: Wisconsin Fire

Post by thespellchecker »

This is silly! wrote:What's the latest scoop on the status of all the Fire teams. 98s are dead for "administrative issues with Wisconsin Hockey" as stated in their apology letter (yeah right) - but I what's the deal with the Fire as a whole for now? I heard that ALL teams may be dead because of problems with USA hockey?

Feedback please. . .
With the same intentions of the D6 new policy, the one you refer to is a MN Hockey / USA Hockey policy. It as well is to keep these players in association hockey.
yeti

Post by yeti »

It looks like the 99's and 97's are signed up for the nike bauer invite in chicago. No 98's though.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

98 Fire is scheduled to play in the Wrrior Invite in Detroit (Oct 15-17) as well as the 99 Fire.
TriedThat2

Post by TriedThat2 »

From the MN Hockey website.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... e_Form.pdf

According to the transfer protocol listed on the same page, the Fire needs to classify as a Tier 1 program or MN Hockey will not approve the waiver??
yeti

Post by yeti »

The warrior invite, in Detroit, looks like a very loaded tourney (team wise).
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I had heard the goaltender and the coaches kid had left the team and is playing for another Tier 1 team.
Road Rage

Re: Wisconsin Fire

Post by Road Rage »

thespellchecker wrote:
This is silly! wrote:What's the latest scoop on the status of all the Fire teams. 98s are dead for "administrative issues with Wisconsin Hockey" as stated in their apology letter (yeah right) - but I what's the deal with the Fire as a whole for now? I heard that ALL teams may be dead because of problems with USA hockey?

Feedback please. . .
With the same intentions of the D6 new policy, the one you refer to is a MN Hockey / USA Hockey policy. It as well is to keep these players in association hockey.
Why? They've already been gone for at least two years (the 98's). They should come back now because...? Last time I checked this was America. (Hence the "USA" in USA Hockey.) Therefore we have, or should have, the freedom to make choices. I don't think any of these skaters are from my association, but if they were, I'm not sure I would even want them back after USA Hockey, in its infinite wisdom, forced them back, along with their "we really don't want to be here" attitudes, to take spots from kids who do want to play for their associations.

Let's face it, these are 15 skaters and two goalies who decided to do something different. Big deal. They aren't even necessarily the 15 absolute BEST skaters or the two absolute BEST goalies in the state of MN at this level so who cares. It's not like the entire Stillwater PWA association team decided to hop the border and play in WI. That would be wrong and and would definitely have an impact that would truly be felt in a community. This is a few kids from many different associations throughout the state. Let them do what they want and you won't even notice they are gone. You've played without them for the past two years, big deal.

What you will notice, in the end, is that you have a whole lot more money left in your check book than those parents do! Nick Bjugstadt was Mr. Hockey and just got drafted. He played for his association. Some of the Fire kids will go a different route and get drafted. It's like switching lanes 100 times on the highway or staying in your own lane. Ultimately, I swear both cars get there at the same time. Let everyone decide how they want to drive, don't tell them how to do it.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

Don't let the kids suffer because of the parents ultimate decision. When the parents of 98s made a decision not to play for their association and play for the Fire, the kids were like 9 or 10 years old. Don't hold the kids accountable for bad parental decision making.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I have seen kids from the fire come back to Forest Lake and be major contributers as 2nd year bantams and soph, varsity leading scorer last year. I know the kids were sure happy to have him back.
yeti

Post by yeti »

Unfortunately the only ones that are mad about the top players coming back are the parents of the kids that will not make the cut because of their arrival back to club hockey.Number one rule is parents dont make your kids hate the game before they hit puberty, alot changes if you can get to that point and the kid has a love for the game.
Velocity3

Post by Velocity3 »

Puckstopper81 wrote:Don't let the kids suffer because of the parents ultimate decision. When the parents of 98s made a decision not to play for their association and play for the Fire, the kids were like 9 or 10 years old. Don't hold the kids accountable for bad parental decision making.

It wasn't a bad parental decision!
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

If it wasn't a bad parental decision, then what was it? Now I am talking about the '98s here. It was the fault of the 9 and 10 year olds that they wanted to play for the Fire? I am sure the parents didn't have a say in all of it since they were the ones that were writing the checks.
Velocity3

Post by Velocity3 »

Puckstopper81 wrote:If it wasn't a bad parental decision, then what was it? Now I am talking about the '98s here. It was the fault of the 9 and 10 year olds that they wanted to play for the Fire? I am sure the parents didn't have a say in all of it since they were the ones that were writing the checks.
It was a GOOD parental decision. The whole basis of you point of view is your OPINION, not FACT! The parent is in the best position to make a decision for their child not some outsider. The parent involved gets to determine whether a decision made turns out good or bad, not you!
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

I agree with Velocity. You can't paint with too big of brush here and say that the parents decision to have their kids play for the Fire was a 'bad parental decision'. Frankly, I bet many parents of the Fire organization might find that condescending as if you could parent their children better than they could. Playing for an organization like the Fire may not be best for everyone, playing association may not be best for everyone. People are too quick to polarize this issue into a black area and a white area, and refuse to see the many shades of grey in between and respect the parents decision whether it is to play for the Fire, or to play association. Healthy debate is something I'm all for, but make sure to distinguish between opinion and fact.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I stand corrected!
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

I've heard that the 97 and 99 teams will play this year but that the 98 team did not return enough players to field a competitive team.
GreatOne99

Post by GreatOne99 »

Task Force 34 wrote:I've heard that the 97 and 99 teams will play this year but that the 98 team did not return enough players to field a competitive team.
If your a MN kid beware, 97 and 99 players from MN who play for the Fire this season and want to come back to MN to play in the future will have to sit out a year. MN hockey rules passed in June states players from MN have to get a waiver signed by MN hockey in order to play for a Tier 1 hockey club in a different state (Note: Fire is no longer a Tier 1 program). Buyer beware! If your a 97 or 99 Family please do your research before committing to play in Wisconsin, you will not be allowed to come back for a year. Associations were notified by MN Hockey in July about the new rule which will be scrutinized when official rosters are submitted at the end of the year. I quess this was done with the full approval of USA Hockey.
High Off The Glass

Post by High Off The Glass »

Task Force 34 wrote:I've heard that the 97 and 99 teams will play this year but that the 98 team did not return enough players to field a competitive team.
2000 team also fell apart. MN kids could not get grandfathered into WAHA under their new rules.
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

Great One -

I've heard rumors behind this but have not seen anything official from MN Hockey. Do you have anything you can share or is your information speculative as well. I'm surprised nothing has been publicized by either MN Hockey or WAHA as this seems like a hard stance to take for a young player.

Thanks in advance if you can share anything -
BlackTape

Post by BlackTape »

You are correct. WI hockey has a new president. With him came a new rule. For all non-tier 1 programs (Fire) you now have to get a waiver from your home association in order to skate with the fire program. The waiver is at the discretion of the president of your association if it is signed or not. So to sum it up, if you reside in Minnesota, the times of just registering for the Fire without a waiver is over. At least until they are Tier 1.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Both the waiver form and Inter state waiver protocol was posted under the meeting minutes section over a week ago. This according to Wisc. also will be implemented with other bordering states, Michigan, Ill. Mn and Iowa. Minn will also work with North and South Dakota.
GreatOne99

Post by GreatOne99 »

BlackTape wrote:You are correct. WI hockey has a new president. With him came a new rule. For all non-tier 1 programs (Fire) you now have to get a waiver from your home association in order to skate with the fire program. The waiver is at the discretion of the president of your association if it is signed or not. So to sum it up, if you reside in Minnesota, the times of just registering for the Fire without a waiver is over. At least until they are Tier 1.
The key to this rule in MN is that you don't get the waiver from your home association, but from MNHockey, and it will be enforced by MNHockey. The MNHockey official I spoke with stated that it is a RULE and not a DRAfT or up for further discussion. It is policy and they will hold the associations accountable if a player is found on a roster and have played out of state for a non Tier 1 program in the last 12 months. When asked what sanctions were to be enforced, I was told that would be taken on a case by case basis including but not limited to fines, and bans from post season play for not only the offending team but possibly the association as a whole from Midget down to PeeWee.
Task Force 34

Post by Task Force 34 »

Found the form and memo on the MN Hockey website, however it says third draft dated April 24th, 2010. Is it really final or still in the discussion phase?If it's final, when will the associations be notified and when will it be posted in a more conspicuous location? It looks a little stealthy to me and I'm not sure why.
council member retired

Post by council member retired »

[quote="greybeard58"]Both the waiver form and Inter state waiver protocol was posted under the meeting minutes section over a week ago. This according to Wisc. also will be implemented with other bordering states, Michigan, Ill. Mn and Iowa. Minn will also work with North and South Dakota.[/quote]

Bearded
do you think MN Hockey should have stepped up and notified this families besides just a agenda posting? Or are you on the side, it is their respondsibility? I feel MN Hockey should reach out to all of these potential mn kids playing for the fire and let them know the specifics for 2011-2012.

Lets get it posted asap.