section 5AA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MGP103

section 5AA

Post by MGP103 »

Its about time to give Maple Grove some credit. This is by far the best team they have had, I've been to 6 games of there's and this team plays D like nobody els does in the state period. Ranked 9th or 10th all year isn't justice at all. section 5AA is down overall this year no doubt but just thought id send some love Maple Groves way. Very likely there first ever trip to state if Osseo's top line doesn't screw it up. I've said my peace.
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Maple Grove has had some very good teams through the past decade. Maple Grove needs to get over their stumbles in the Section Finals or Semi-Finals. I wouldn't be surprised to see Maple Grove at State, but it wouldn't shock me if they lost in Sections either. Blaine, Centennial, and Osseo are all quality teams as well.
MGP103

Post by MGP103 »

Section Finals have haunted them for sure. not really worried about Blaine or Centennial but if Osseo's top line has a big nite they could trip them up.
Guru20

Post by Guru20 »

This is by far the best team Maple Grove has had since the High School opened. Two years ago they had a very good team, missing Birkholz who was at Blake, but Blaine and Centennial were both much better teams. Just like any other high school team they have their own weaknesses and areas of improvement to reach their potential.

I don't agree Maple Grove has to get over their stumbles in the playoffs. I looked at the archives to confirm my view that Maple Grove has just gotten beat by better teams in sections. Now I don't know all the details about these teams or their circumstances, but just going by seeding Maple Grove has only been "upset" twice going back to 2000. Both of those years they were the #2 seed and lost to the #3 seed (2009 & 2007). They have never earned the #1 seed. Four times they have earned the #2 seed, the twice I mentioned above losing to #3, and twice they lost to the #1 seed in the section finals. Definitely not something to brag about in the post season, but I don't think there is a pattern of playoff failures or anything like that.

Blaine and Centennial are not as powerful as they have been in recent years, definitely capable of getting hot and making it to state. I think when Nelson for Champlin Park plays well they are the 4th best team in the section. Champlin Park and Osseo could upset a team, or beat Maple Grove, but I don't see them beating 2-3 teams better than them and making it to state.
Guru20

Post by Guru20 »

MGP103 wrote:Section Finals have haunted them for sure. not really worried about Blaine or Centennial but if Osseo's top line has a big nite they could trip them up.
Bonner is extremely good! I like Dahlberg and Dolby a lot, but beyond that Osseo doesn't have much to work with. Defensemen are very weak so they have a hard time getting the puck out of their zone, especially with control to get it to Bonner so he can use his skills.
MGP103

Post by MGP103 »

Guru20 wrote:
MGP103 wrote:Section Finals have haunted them for sure. not really worried about Blaine or Centennial but if Osseo's top line has a big nite they could trip them up.
Bonner is extremely good! I like Dahlberg and Dolby a lot, but beyond that Osseo doesn't have much to work with. Defensemen are very weak so they have a hard time getting the puck out of their zone, especially with control to get it to Bonner so he can use his skills.
Osseo is totaly a one line team but i think its one of the top lines in the state, too weak defensively to go on any long run though.

I went to the Maple Grove vs. Champlin Park game and it was totaly one sided so i think Osseo is the 2nd best team in the section but its very close indeed.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

MGP103 wrote:
Guru20 wrote:
Osseo is totaly a one line team but i think its one of the top lines in the state, too weak defensively to go on any long run though.

I went to the Maple Grove vs. Champlin Park game and it was totaly one sided so i think Osseo is the 2nd best team in the section but its very close indeed.
I would say Osseo is maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the section. Blaine tied Maple Grove and didnt Centennial take MG to OT? To say that you're not worried about those teams would seem rather dumb being as how MG squeaked by Centennial and tied Blaine. MG is the clear #1 and I would expect them at state, but I also wouldnt be surprised to see any of the 1-4 seeds there.
MGP103

Post by MGP103 »

the Maple Grove vs. Baline game was completely 1 sided. shots ended up 46-12 for maple grove. between Osseo, Blaine, and Centennial there isnt much diffirence. In a 1 game format anyone can get hot so yes it is possible for either one of these teams to advance. It will be huge to see who gets the #2 seed becasue both the #1 and #2 seeds get a easy walk to the semi finals. North Metro, Irondale, Coon Rapaids are automatic wins. 3rd and 4th seeds will need to get by Anoka and Champlin Park which wont be cakewalks.
MGP103

Post by MGP103 »

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MGP103 wrote:
Guru20 wrote: Bonner is extremely good! I like Dahlberg and Dolby a lot, but beyond that Osseo doesn't have much to work with. Defensemen are very weak so they have a hard time getting the puck out of their zone, especially with control to get it to Bonner so he can use his skills.

I would say Osseo is maybe the 3rd or 4th best team in the section. Blaine tied Maple Grove and didnt Centennial take MG to OT? To say that you're not worried about those teams would seem rather dumb being as how MG squeaked by Centennial and tied Blaine. MG is the clear #1 and I would expect them at state, but I also wouldnt be surprised to see any of the 1-4 seeds there.

Blaine beat Coon Rapids 4 to 2 tonite. Can we put Blaine to bed for this year now .
MGP103

Post by MGP103 »

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MGP103 wrote:
Guru20 wrote: Bonner is extremely good! I like Dahlberg and Dolby a lot, but beyond that Osseo doesn't have much to work with. Defensemen are very weak so they have a hard time getting the puck out of their zone, especially with control to get it to Bonner so he can use his skills.

Blaine beat Coon Rapids 4 to 2 tonite. Can we put Blaine to bed for this year now .
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

This person needs to stop posting about 5AA. KIDS and Fans need to realize come section time, anything is possible. This proposterous Maple Grove Fan, who claims Maple Grove is a the top of the world, does not believe Maple Grove can be touched. Maple Grove is a very, very good hockey team, but they have a long way to go before they will be able to reach the state tourament. Many things have to be corrected in the near future.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

This person needs to stop posting about 5AA. KIDS and Fans need to realize come section time, anything is possible. This proposterous Maple Grove Fan, who claims Maple Grove is a the top of the world, does not believe Maple Grove can be touched. Maple Grove is a very, very good hockey team, but they have a long way to go before they will be able to reach the state tourament. Many things have to be corrected in the near future.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Hope everything is going well for you these days...I'll see you at the next tilt!!!
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Couldn't agree more. Maple Grove has a very solid squad, and without a doubt are the favorite in the section, but beyond them its pretty wide open right now. MGP103, we all know Maple Grove is for real this year, but you can stop posting about how they have the top defense in the state, or how they are going to walk right on to state.
WHAFightingSaints

Post by WHAFightingSaints »

Maple Grove is a very good team, but I would start to worry about Centennial.
blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 »

MGP103 wrote:
LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:
MGP103 wrote: Osseo is totaly a one line team but i think its one of the top lines in the state, too weak defensively to go on any long run though.

I don't think you can put any team to bed yet, unusual games have prevailed before. Been to 4 of CR games and thought Blaine didn't appear to be as deep as the other top teams in the Conference. CR has been in all but 1 of these games and maybe could of pulled out a upset, but each game I have been at the Coach plays all 4 lines pretty consistently. There opponents run there better player(s) every other most of the game.