Troy Hesketh

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wblhcky24

Troy Hesketh

Post by wblhcky24 »

Sounds like he will play for D3 Hamline.... has there ever been a 3rd round NHL pick to play D3? Is he playing juniors anywhere?
2012 pond hockey All Star
observer

Post by observer »

Where did he play last year?
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

He played for 3 USHL teams but he wasn't invited to anybody's camp this year
2012 pond hockey All Star
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Quite a fall... hope he gets a good education, etc. Best of luck to him.
siouxforce19

Re: Troy Hesketh

Post by siouxforce19 »

wblhcky24 wrote:Sounds like he will play for D3 Hamline.... has there ever been a 3rd round NHL pick to play D3? Is he playing juniors anywhere?
Don't quote me on this, but there was a Wisconsin kid from Steven's Point, Travis Erstad, who pulled his verbal commitment from Wisconsin to play for D3 Stevens Point. And he was drafted by the Blues. I never heard what happened to him, or why he did what he did, so I can't judge him for it, but it was kind of weird at the time. It sounded kind of weird that he would just decide not to go. Maybe it was academics, but there are other d1 schools in division 1 that aren't as difficult to get into. Hesketh everyone knew it was academics, but then he never got his junior career on track and was traded a lot and just really fell off the radar.
johnnyquest

Post by johnnyquest »

Travis Erstad was informed by the badger staff there was no room for him on the badger roster. I think this was while he was playing Jrs. He contacted the u w stevens point coach (who also happened to be his high school coach at s.p. high school).

The Blues were not happy while the badger staff continued their legacy of decommits.

i think this all took place a couple of years back.
breakout

Post by breakout »

siouxforce19 wrote:
wblhcky24 wrote:Sounds like he will play for D3 Hamline.... has there ever been a 3rd round NHL pick to play D3? Is he playing juniors anywhere?
Don't quote me on this, but there was a Wisconsin kid from Steven's Point, Travis Erstad, who pulled his verbal commitment from Wisconsin to play for D3 Stevens Point. And he was drafted by the Blues. I never heard what happened to him, or why he did what he did, so I can't judge him for it, but it was kind of weird at the time. It sounded kind of weird that he would just decide not to go. Maybe it was academics, but there are other d1 schools in division 1 that aren't as difficult to get into. Hesketh everyone knew it was academics, but then he never got his junior career on track and was traded a lot and just really fell off the radar.
How would everyone know it's academics? Not sure how you can come to that assertion. Doesn't Hamline have an academic standard? Could it be that he did not improve his game after high school?
siouxforce19

Post by siouxforce19 »

breakout wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
How would everyone know it's academics? Not sure how you can come to that assertion. Doesn't Hamline have an academic standard? Could it be that he did not improve his game after high school?
It was well documented when it was announced he was no longer committed to the Badgers in Badger hockey circles that his test scores didn't meet the academic qualifications to be accepted to Wisconsin. I know Wisconsin is a highly regarded academic institution, not sure on their standards, or Hamline's, but that was the word at the time. True or not, that was what was said during that time. It wasn't that long ago...
ManBearPig

Post by ManBearPig »

breakout wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:

A former Hamline player who graduated last year couldn't get through the NCAA Clearing House got into Hamline.
breakout

Post by breakout »

siouxforce19 wrote:
breakout wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote: Don't quote me on this, but there was a Wisconsin kid from Steven's Point, Travis Erstad, who pulled his verbal commitment from Wisconsin to play for D3 Stevens Point. And he was drafted by the Blues. I never heard what happened to him, or why he did what he did, so I can't judge him for it, but it was kind of weird at the time. It sounded kind of weird that he would just decide not to go. Maybe it was academics, but there are other d1 schools in division 1 that aren't as difficult to get into. Hesketh everyone knew it was academics, but then he never got his junior career on track and was traded a lot and just really fell off the radar.
It was well documented when it was announced he was no longer committed to the Badgers in Badger hockey circles that his test scores didn't meet the academic qualifications to be accepted to Wisconsin. I know Wisconsin is a highly regarded academic institution, not sure on their standards, or Hamline's, but that was the word at the time. True or not, that was what was said during that time. It wasn't that long ago...
Not trying to defend Hesketh. Maybe you can come up with something other than word of mouth.

My guess (just a guess) when a player goes from being drafted to no one wanting him in the USHL then falls to the NAHL there could likely be a performance issue. Not to mention he goes from a D1 commitment to being de-committed and ends up at a D3 school, there is a hockey standard that is not met.