Straight to D3

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Straight to D3

Post by observer »

I know of one player going directly from Minnesota High School Hockey to D1, Kyle Rau.

Are there players that will go directly to D3 this coming season?
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

Zach Schroeder went directly to RPI
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

RPI is a division 1 school that was very competetive in the 70's and 80's, I believe they one the national championship one year.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

They won it twice, 1954 and 1985
keepmeoutofit

Post by keepmeoutofit »

also one of the stronger schools academically
longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 »

A few at wisconsin, labate and daly for instance
observer

Post by observer »

What are you saying? Wisconsin is D3? Labate and Daly are playing at Wisconsin this coming season as true freshmen? I'm not following you.
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

observer wrote:
What are you saying? Wisconsin is D3? Labate and Daly are playing at Wisconsin this coming season as true freshmen? I'm not following you.
No...he's questioning you saying that you know of "1" person going directly from High School to D1. There are actually more than the "1" you mentioned.

As far as players going directly to D3, the list can't really be made until tryouts are done and you see who made the teams. Numerous players may go directly to D3 but that doesn't mean they'll play.

We'll see.
Firetruck12

Post by Firetruck12 »

jojo jeanetta going to the college of st. scholastica
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Many go directly to DIII ~ some play, others focus on their education. Used to everybody who went DIII, went directly; has to be difficult to settle there, after chasing around Juniors.
TheClipper

Post by TheClipper »

Only a very modest number of players go directly to D3 from high school.

The market is so flooded with solid players from post-hs levels that all college programs have the luxury of selecting from a deep pool of seasoned applicants.*

Here in Minnesota, a quick check of 2010/2011 MIAC rosters will show approximately 70% of players have post-hs experience.

*(Obscene tuitions, admittedly, thin the herd somewhat)
dizlutheastt218

Post by dizlutheastt218 »

Zac Schendel of East is playing for St. Johns
"lets play curling"
east side 218
mp#99

Post by mp#99 »

Frm Jr Gold A to D3 JV
observer

Post by observer »

So, where we at?

1 player straight to D3

JoJo Jeanetta College of St. Scholastica
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Mostly MJHL and NA3HL players end up playing D-3

How's your kid doing, Observer?
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

MrBoDangles wrote:Mostly MJHL and NA3HL players end up playing D-3

MJ and NA3?

Don't think so. Here is Saint Olaf's make-up:

MNJHL 3
NAHL 10
HS/Prep 10
BCHL 1
EJHL 2
D1 Transfer 1
NOJHL 2
WSHL 1
AJHL 1
KIJHL 1
NORPAC 1
GMHL 1

34 listed on their roster, only 17 get to play. My guess is 10 of those 17 played NAHL, one played BCHL, one transfered from D1 (Michigan State), that leaves five spots left.

In the HS/Prep area, two kids are from Shattuck's prep. That leaves three spots.

I don't see a lot of room for MNJHL or NA3HL hockey players on this path. I don't think Saint Olaf is unique in the quality of players coming in as 20 year old freshmen.

My take is that unless you are a very good hockey player (that could play NAHL or USHL but choose to move on to academia) - or a goalie lucking into a pipeline problem - you are lucky to make it as an 18 year old freshman, and you definitely aren't going to get a sniff of ice. I think these schools have intramural programs too and that's probably where you will end up.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

SWPrez wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Mostly MJHL and NA3HL players end up playing D-3

MJ and NA3?

Don't think so. Here is Saint Olaf's make-up:

MNJHL 3
NAHL 10
HS/Prep 10
BCHL 1
EJHL 2
D1 Transfer 1
NOJHL 2
WSHL 1
AJHL 1
KIJHL 1
NORPAC 1
GMHL 1

34 listed on their roster, only 17 get to play. My guess is 10 of those 17 played NAHL, one played BCHL, one transfered from D1 (Michigan State), that leaves five spots left.

In the HS/Prep area, two kids are from Shattuck's prep. That leaves three spots.

I don't see a lot of room for MNJHL or NA3HL hockey players on this path. I don't think Saint Olaf is unique in the quality of players coming in as 20 year old freshmen.

My take is that unless you are a very good hockey player (that could play NAHL or USHL but choose to move on to academia) - or a goalie lucking into a pipeline problem - you are lucky to make it as an 18 year old freshman, and you definitely aren't going to get a sniff of ice. I think these schools have intramural programs too and that's probably where you will end up.
It was an inside deal if you look at the -Vadnais team topic- in the Junior Forum...

Sorry to put you through all that. :wink:

Observer must be trying to prop his kid.
HSHockeyFan08

Post by HSHockeyFan08 »

You will very rarely see a MJHL player making an impact on a MIAC team. Most MJHL players going into the MIAC will be 4th to 5th line guys depending where they end up.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Jojo Jeanetta - Duluth East to Saint Scholastica (NCHA)
Zach Dick - Grand Rapids to Augsburg (MIAC)

Best wishes to both
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

Andrew Deters (Sartell/St.-Stephen)- Concordia
Nick Vatnsdal (Delano)- St. John's
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Interesting. Back in the 80s, I never heard of a player coming into MIAC from juniors. It was almost all second and third line players from the big HS programs like Edina, Hill Murray, Jefferson. The occasional D1 transfer was a Big Deal, but just about every freshman was 18 years old fresh off his senior varsity season.

Are these guys gunning for big-money scholarships? Are there that many available to athletes in the MIAC? I never would have guessed. Surprised to see that many juniors now dominating MIAC rosters. It's not like they can cruise through with phy ed majors and somehow backdoor it to the pros. Maybe they just love the game too much to give it up??? Couldn't be!
Bill Coleman

Post by Bill Coleman »

In the late 80's the entire NCHA were either USHL or BCHL players. A high school kid wouldn't have a chance back then. The MIAC were all out of high school. Then I think the MIAC started getting some new coaches who were hungry enough to win to start recruiting the JR players. Scotty Bell found success this way at Hamlin.
HSHockeyFan08

Post by HSHockeyFan08 »

All you need to do is look at a guy like Chris Hickey. Drafted by the Wild, played a year at Wisconsin and the USHL, and doesn't even average a point a game in the MIAC. The MIAC is good hockey.
ping

Post by ping »

Quinn Impola...Litchfield-Dassel-Cokato to Univeristy of St. Thomas
markp

D3

Post by markp »

My son played Juniors 2 years and is now out East playing D3 for a school close to Boston. He wasn't ready for college right out oh H.S. The 2 years of living away from home was the best thing for him. One of his best friends played for one of the bigger programs South of the city,and asked the Hockey coach @ Eau Claire about trying out. His first comment was "where did you play Juniors". After telling he he played 3 years H.S Varsity, the coach told him thanks but no thanks. No Juniors, no tryout. D3 coaches recruit heavily from the NA and D3 ranks these day's.