NIT rosters?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

UND

NIT rosters?

Post by UND »

Anybody have the red and white rosters for the elite NIT?
DMom

Re: NIT rosters?

Post by DMom »

UND wrote:Anybody have the red and white rosters for the elite NIT?
they are posted

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster/show/ ... ason=60532
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

What's with the 4 Wisconsin kids on the MN White roster??
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Just kids that played in the Elite league.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

UND wrote:Anybody have the red and white rosters for the elite NIT?
They are posted, and as I think anyone would have expected, some very interesting selections to say the least. To say the most, some very farcical selections. I congratulate all who were selected, but some of the omissions really make you have to wonder about the whole selection process.

It's easier to understand this whole selection process if you BEGIN with the understanding that there are three primary factors involved - politics, H.S. grade, and merit based on performance in the regular season. And seemingly in that order. If everyone involved understands the selection process going in to the season, I'd say no problem. But I think most people assume when you are competing for what all intents and purposes is an "all star" team, the overriding determining factor should be merit. Apparently not so for the Bauer NIT.

Just one man's opinion.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

In a league like this, there will obviously be some tough choices to make. Pretty tough to be overly critical of their job.
Last edited by Gopher Blog on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

There is also the factor of those not available for the tournament.
UND

Post by UND »

At the elite kickoff meeting the criteria for the NIT selection was communicated as - NHL scouts select who they want to see, the teams with the best records will have more players selected and seniors take priority.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

UND wrote:At the elite kickoff meeting the criteria for the NIT selection was communicated as - NHL scouts select who they want to see, the teams with the best records will have more players selected and seniors take priority.
So when people talk politics, who would these scouts be political for? It's not like they are going to care where a kid comes from, etc.
demongoed

Post by demongoed »

I don't thing the scouts are political, but you're assuming John Russo adheres to these guidelines when making selections. At that same preseason meeting, he tells parents and players that teams will roll lines so all players play roughtly the same amount of time (they don't); that team schedules will ensure parity of competition (not true-certain teams had advantageous schedules). With 40% of NIT players in their junior year, that doesn't sound like giving seniors preference. There are certainly seniors with stronger stats than some juniors chosen. Even if this only affects a handful of players, to believe that scout input and performance alone account for selections is naive. This is Minnesota hockey.

I think there are only 2 things parents and players can count on with this league: That the boys will play with and against the most talented players in the state, and that at season's end, they'll be in great shape to start the high school season. Anything other than that is subject to factors outside of how the kids actually play. You just have to go into it with realistic expectations.
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

UND wrote:At the elite kickoff meeting the criteria for the NIT selection was communicated as - NHL scouts select who they want to see, the teams with the best records will have more players selected and seniors take priority.
Team NE has 5 when NW has 7 yet NE finished higher in standings than NW.
HSHockeyFan08

Post by HSHockeyFan08 »

A lot of those NW guys you had to take. Not much questioning from me on 5 or 6 of those guys.
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

HSHockeyFan08 wrote:A lot of those NW guys you had to take. Not much questioning from me on 5 or 6 of those guys.
Understood and I agree.. but not what Mr. Russo said would happen.
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:
HSHockeyFan08 wrote:A lot of those NW guys you had to take. Not much questioning from me on 5 or 6 of those guys.
Understood and I agree.. but not what Mr. Russo said would happen.
What I don't understand is this. From my, albeit limited, understanding of Elite league finances, the NHL provides NO financial support to the league (what I was told 1 year ago by an Elite league official). I hope I'm wrong. But if that is in fact true, why does it matter who "NHL" scouts want to see? If the above assumption is correct, why would the Elite league give a rat's ass who the "NHL" wants to see? Unless, there is some other financia........

Just sayin.
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

Selection no better in development league, pretty much same number of players from each team. Having only seen one scout at any game leads to believe coaches selection. So lets see pick kids with ties (home town, program etc...) or best players. Why not be honest with players and parents.

Comparable ice time is also in question... How can players "develop" without opportunity.
my2cents

Where's Trevor Olson?

Post by my2cents »

One of the league's top scorer's and DE's best player is not rostered for either team.
northwoods oldtimer

Re: Where's Trevor Olson?

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

my2cents wrote:One of the league's top scorer's and DE's best player is not rostered for either team.
There is also the factor of those not available for the tournament.