Peewee A State Tournament Brackets

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins It?

Hermantown
10%
MAML
3%
Lakeville South
24%
Eden Prairie
14%
STMA
3%
Elk River
17%
Prior Lake
26%
Osseo/Maple Grove
2%

Total votes: 58

Rank12

Peewee A State Tournament Brackets

Post by Rank12 »

Hermantown (N1)
MAML (W2)

Lakeville South (E1)
Eden Praire (S2)

STMA (W1)
Elk River (N2)

Prior Lake (S1)
Osseo/Maple Grove (E2)
HOCKEYlover1919

Post by HOCKEYlover1919 »

Wow!! What a weekend in Pee Wee hockey. 8 great teams made it. Not one doesn't deserve to be there. With that being said I have no predictions as of now!! Should be some interesting friday games though...(PL vs. OMG)&(LVS vs. EP) :-#
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

Easy to pick Sunday's matchup LVS vs PL. Both teams will walk through the first two games and it's PL who takes it all. :wink:
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Hermantown beats MAML by a couple goals

LVS and EP will be a great game. EP BIG goalie keeps it close but LVS prevails

ER pounds STMA and can rest their guns

PL and OMG will be a great battle. PL comes out on top

A Hot Hermantown team upsets LVS who is a little tired out after a tough contest vs EP

ER beats PL like they did late in the regular season. ER is more rested after a easy game vs STMA. ER is deeper and their goalie shuts down PL #8 and #15

ER the deepest and best puck moving team in the state outlasts Hermantown to take the 2012 PWA championship.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

STMA in the upset. Looks like the teams that everyone has talked about all season. I thought Cent,would make a showing. I was wrong again. Good luck to all the kids and most of the parents.
offside14

Post by offside14 »

GTTN nobody has pounded STMA all year. Worst loss 6-2 by Edina with 3 kids missing. ER so deep they were beat by a team of 2000's just before the start of the season and have been anything but consistent especially of late. Elk River has a nice team don't get me wrong but pound STMA... get a grip! They may beat them but it will be alot closer than you think. Learn the lesson Hermantown taught you, by the STMA beat Hermantown :D [/quote]
ERPWA Hockey

Post by ERPWA Hockey »

offside14 wrote:GTTN nobody has pounded STMA all year. Worst loss 6-2 by Edina with 3 kids missing. ER so deep they were beat by a team of 2000's just before the start of the season and have been anything but consistent especially of late. Elk River has a nice team don't get me wrong but pound STMA... get a grip! They may beat them but it will be alot closer than you think. Learn the lesson Hermantown taught you, by the STMA beat Hermantown :D
[/quote]

offside14, you are right this game will not be a pounding. These two teams have a history of very close games in the past few years. Should be a great game.

Your comment about a Fall MASH game though is a big stretch, this is not the same ER team. Also if you call us being inconsistent by losing close games to OMG, Centennial and Hermantown we will take that anyday. It's not like we have been playing Buffalo, Sauk Rapids and MAML. :wink:

Good Luck to Both Teams!!
offside14

Post by offside14 »

ERPWA Hockey wrote:
offside14 wrote:GTTN nobody has pounded STMA all year. Worst loss 6-2 by Edina with 3 kids missing. ER so deep they were beat by a team of 2000's just before the start of the season and have been anything but consistent especially of late. Elk River has a nice team don't get me wrong but pound STMA... get a grip! They may beat them but it will be alot closer than you think. Learn the lesson Hermantown taught you, by the STMA beat Hermantown :D
offside14, you are right this game will not be a pounding. These two teams have a history of very close games in the past few years. Should be a great game.

Your comment about a Fall MASH game though is a big stretch, this is not the same ER team. Also if you call us being inconsistent by losing close games to OMG, Centennial and Hermantown we will take that anyday. It's not like we have been playing Buffalo, Sauk Rapids and MAML. :wink:

Good Luck to Both Teams!![/quote]

Its funny you should mention those 3 teams. STMA 4-2 over Hermantown, STMA 3-2 over OMG and 3-3 with Centennial(':D') . We have tried to realign our district without success, so we have to play who we have to play. MAML might be a little stronger than you think as well. They are going to state and did have to beat Roseau twice to get there. I am looking forward to the game should be fun to watch. Too bad these 2 teams couldn't have played each other a few more times this season. Good luck to all the boys!
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

[/quote]

Offside:

STMA has ONE "BIG" win all year - against OMG. They were drastically out shot in this game and hung on for the W. They play a weak schedule (12.32 from myhockeyrankings) STMA has not beaten a top team this calendar year (only good teams played in 2012 are Prior Lake and Woodbury and they lost them both). They beat Brainerd / Fergus Falls / MAMAL this weekend to make it to state. You bring up the worst loss of the year against EDI by 4 goals...they also lost to tonka by 4 goals. Were those same 3 kids missing??

ER has beaten the two best teams in the state in the 2012 calendar year (PL and LVS). They have 9 wins against top 10 teams this season. They play a tougher schedule than STMA (14.36 from myhockeyrankings) They played Hibbing / Hermantown / DE / GR / Centennial to make it to state.

If ER beats STMA by 4 goals I would consider that a pounding. Thats my logic I hope you like it.
offside14

Post by offside14 »

GTTN wrote:
Offside:

STMA has ONE "BIG" win all year - against OMG. They were drastically out shot in this game and hung on for the W. They play a weak schedule (12.32 from myhockeyrankings) STMA has not beaten a top team this calendar year (only good teams played in 2012 are Prior Lake and Woodbury and they lost them both). They beat Brainerd / Fergus Falls / MAMAL this weekend to make it to state. You bring up the worst loss of the year against EDI by 4 goals...they also lost to tonka by 4 goals. Were those same 3 kids missing??

ER has beaten the two best teams in the state in the 2012 calendar year (PL and LVS). They have 9 wins against top 10 teams this season. They play a tougher schedule than STMA (14.36 from myhockeyrankings) They played Hibbing / Hermantown / DE / GR / Centennial to make it to state.

If ER beats STMA by 4 goals I would consider that a pounding. Thats my logic I hope you like it.[/quote]

GTTN: LOL. You make it sound like STMA doesn't deserve to be on the ice with you... I noticed you changed to "IF" ER beats STMA by 4 now though. If STMA beats ER what would call that a miracle. What did you call it when Hermantown beat you? I know they were lucky :roll:. According to many prior to regions they hadn't played anybody "good" either. I don't know call me crazy but if a team over the course of 40+ games gives up 6 goals once and 5 goals 3 times just seems like it might be tough to pound them by 4 or more. I know before you say it we play a weak schedule, what am I thinking :roll:
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

offside14 wrote:
GTTN wrote:
Offside:

If ER beats STMA by 4 goals I would consider that a pounding. Thats my logic I hope you like it.

GTTN: LOL. You make it sound like STMA doesn't deserve to be on the ice with you... I noticed you changed to "IF" ER beats STMA by 4 now though. If STMA beats ER what would call that a miracle. What did you call it when Hermantown beat you? I know they were lucky :roll:. According to many prior to regions they hadn't played anybody "good" either. I don't know call me crazy but if a team over the course of 40+ games gives up 6 goals once and 5 goals 3 times just seems like it might be tough to pound them by 4 or more. I know before you say it we play a weak schedule, what am I thinking :roll:[/quote]

Why don't you two take this love affair private. I'm sorry but neither of your teams will be relevant come Sunday. :wink:

Can we talk about some other matchups :?:
Tourney Questions:
- Does OMG have enough goalscoring vs PL without top forward?
- Can EP goalie get Hot and knockoff LVS?
- Can Hermantown continue to play physical in the district hosting the Tourney?
- Can PL ride it out with 2 players all weekend?

This is the most wide open Pee Wee A State Tournament I can remember, the only thing given is no EDINA as State Champs this year :D :D :D :D
observer

Post by observer »

This will be a great tournament!

I love to see some new teams break through. The Bantam A tourney looks to be more of the long time traditional powers but we're seeing some newer/smaller communities reach the PeeWee A State Tournament.

Congrats to all the teams but I love to see Prior Lake, MAML and STMA make it through the difficult District and Region playoffs and make State. These associations deserve a special congrats as they've obviously been outworking some of the others.
woodstickguy

Post by woodstickguy »

offside14 wrote:
GTTN wrote:

GTTN: LOL. You make it sound like STMA doesn't deserve to be on the ice with you... I noticed you changed to "IF" ER beats STMA by 4 now though. If STMA beats ER what would call that a miracle. What did you call it when Hermantown beat you? I know they were lucky :roll:. According to many prior to regions they hadn't played anybody "good" either. I don't know call me crazy but if a team over the course of 40+ games gives up 6 goals once and 5 goals 3 times just seems like it might be tough to pound them by 4 or more. I know before you say it we play a weak schedule, what am I thinking :roll:

I think GTTN is one of the Elk River kids just trying to get a reaction. I wouldn't think any of their parents would spout off like that. I know they don't like the match up since this group of STMA kids has played them tough over the years. I was told ER wouldn't scrimmage STMA this year so I am guessing that has something to do with the fear of getting beat by a lower rated team. ER does have a nice team but a little too small to make any noise at state - my money is on PL. I don't see anyone touching them (I am not a PL parent).
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

The EP goalie could be the difference maker of the tournament. Don't think EP has enough horses and is not well coached. PL goalies are weakest link but I think they are all-round the best of class.
Trout

Post by Trout »

Anyone change your vote due to OMG player missing the first game vs PL?

I am going with both STMA and MAML out in 2 games (West region not tested at the end of the year...these games will be played at a different pace than they have seen in a while!)

OMG winning Consolation over EP, gives them something to ponder...what could have been!

LVS beats Hermantown...by at least 3 goals
PL beats ER ... by 2 goals

Hermantown over ER in 3rd place game, 2 wins vs ER proves the Hawks belong not only intop 10 but top 5. ER has been very inconsistent lately, slightly easier draw gets them to the second game.

LVS over PL in a barn burner 6 to 5!

Saw all teams but MAML this year, nice group of teams.

I do believe with OMG missing one of their best the first round will have 3 of the 4 first round games with a 3 goal differential at a minimum (OMG vs PL would have been a great game...too bad...PL 6 OMG 1).

EP gives LVS a game in the first round, but the close game gives them a wake up call and they pull it out in the end and ride the momentum to the championship!
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

I may eat crow on this but I think STMA will win this game. Will that be an upset, probably. I think ER peaked right around the goheen tourney and if STMA can keep it close, ER will fold. Offside knows these teams very well and schooled me on Hermantown earlier in the year, and wouldn't you know it they are one of 8 remaining. This after all the usual play someone commentary, sound familiar?
bigpuckguy21

Post by bigpuckguy21 »

BadgerBob82 wrote:The EP goalie could be the difference maker of the tournament. Don't think EP has enough horses and is not well coached. PL goalies are weakest link but I think they are all-round the best of class.
Is there a reason you think they're not well coached? They seem to have made it pretty far if that's in fact the case.

I agree with Trout, LS & PL will meet for the championship...I'll take PL in a nailbiter!
HOCKEYlover1919

EPs goalie is good don't get me wrong but he's not great. PL has beat him a multiple of times this year. In late Janurary LVS put 9 up on the big tender as well he might play somewhat of a factor in the LVS game and so on but he won't carry his team I can tell you that right now.
push the envelope

Prior Lake has only 2 players

Post by push the envelope »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:
offside14 wrote:
GTTN wrote:
Offside:

Why don't you two take this love affair private. I'm sorry but neither of your teams will be relevant come Sunday. :wink:

Can we talk about some other matchups :?:
Tourney Questions:
- Does OMG have enough goalscoring vs PL without top forward?
- Can EP goalie get Hot and knockoff LVS?
- Can Hermantown continue to play physical in the district hosting the Tourney?
- Can PL ride it out with 2 players all weekend?

This is the most wide open Pee Wee A State Tournament I can remember, the only thing given is no EDINA as State Champs this year :D :D :D :D[/quote]

Are you suggesting Prior Lake has only 2 quality players? a TEAM doesn't win 54 games in a season w/only 2 players. PL is one of the deepest teams in the tourney and can wear you down with 3 decent lines. Let's see how it plays out.
toeslapper

Post by toeslapper »

This is a very deep tournament this year.

Hermantown Vs. MAML. Hermantown has to much for MAML's 9 or 10 skaters.

Lakeville South Vs. E.P. Lakeville S. is extremely dangerous they score a ton of goals. E.P. seems to be on a up swing and with the big goalie anything can happen.

Elk River Vs. STMA. Elk River is very talented in their forward with #4 & #6. STMA is good and has solid goaltending, they play good defense.

Prior Lake Vs. OMG. Prior Lake is a explosive team with #8 leading the charge. OMG is good but with their top player out #6 I don't see them getting past P.L.

Hermantown Vs. E.P. Hermantown struggles to score against E.P.

Prior Lake Vs. STMA. Prior Lake just has to much for STMA.

Prior Lake Vs. E.P. Toss Up. E.P. Goalie is the difference.
HOCKEYlover1919

toeslapper wrote:This is a very deep tournament this year.

Lakeville South Vs. E.P. Lakeville S. is extremely dangerous they score a ton of goals. E.P. seems to be on a up swing and with the big goalie anything can happen.

Elk River Vs. STMA. Elk River is very talented in their forward with #4 & #6. STMA is good and has solid goaltending, they play good defense.

Prior Lake Vs. OMG. Prior Lake is a explosive team with #8 leading the charge. OMG is good but with their top player out #6 I don't see them getting past P.L.

Are you an EP parent?? :shock:
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

HOCKEYlover1919 wrote:
toeslapper wrote:This is a very deep tournament this year.

Are you an EP parent?? :shock:
Headline "EP goalie won the state!" :D :D
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

HOCKEYlover1919 wrote:EPs goalie is good don't get me wrong but he's not great. PL has beat him a multiple of times this year. In late Janurary LVS put 9 up on the big tender as well he might play somewhat of a factor in the LVS game and so on but he won't carry his team I can tell you that right now.
You must not have watch this kid much. He was one of the best goalies in the state LAST year. He is by far the best goalie in the state. PL has ridiculous fire power so losing to them a couple times isn't bad. If he has a good weekend they can definitely win state. EP doesn't dominate games but with the goalie and Middlestat and Sullivan they get their chances.

This kid was the only goalie who shut out PL this year...
Monsterbuck1

Post by Monsterbuck1 »

GTTN wrote:
HOCKEYlover1919 wrote:EPs goalie is good don't get me wrong but he's not great. PL has beat him a multiple of times this year. In late Janurary LVS put 9 up on the big tender as well he might play somewhat of a factor in the LVS game and so on but he won't carry his team I can tell you that right now.
You must not have watch this kid much. He was one of the best goalies in the state LAST year. He is by far the best goalie in the state. PL has ridiculous fire power so losing to them a couple times isn't bad. If he has a good weekend they can definitely win state. EP doesn't dominate games but with the goalie and Middlestat and Sullivan they get their chances.

OK GTTN - I will take your word for it, but why are there several top teams with GAA that are far superior to EP's? I realize EP has had a tough schedule but so have many of these teams. It would be really interesting to see the save percentage of all of these top programs. Many of them actually rotate their goalies. I happen to know one of them that is sub 1.70 for his team that did not make the State Tournament. I agree that the EP goalie is nice but may not be the top goalie in the state at this time. This is just simply my opinion.

GAA by team

LVS - 1.44
STMA - 1.73
PL - 1.87
ER - 2.03
Still - 2.17
OMG - 2.30
Cent - 2.58

EP - 2.92 ?????
GTTN

Post by GTTN »

Monsterbuck1 wrote:
GTTN wrote:

OK GTTN - I will take your word for it, but why are there several top teams with GAA that are far superior to EP's? I realize EP has had a tough schedule but so have many of these teams. It would be really interesting to see the save percentage of all of these top programs. Many of them actually rotate their goalies. I happen to know one of them that is sub 1.70 for his team that did not make the State Tournament. I agree that the EP goalie is nice but may not be the top goalie in the state at this time. This is just simply my opinion.

GAA by team

LVS - 1.44
STMA - 1.73
PL - 1.87
ER - 2.03
Still - 2.17
OMG - 2.30
Cent - 2.58

EP - 2.92 ?????
Monster its called D6. EP has the hardest schedule in the state (look at myhockeyrankings). They played MTKA 6 times, Edina 5 times, Prior Lake 5 times. Not to mention other offensive power houses ER 5 times, LVS 3 times, OMG 3 times. I put the strength of schedule next to each teams GAA below like you mentioned before.

LVS - 1.44 - SOS 14.61
STMA - 1.73 - SOS 12.30
PL - 1.87 - SOS 15.05
ER - 2.03 - SOS 14.33
Still - 2.17 - SOS 14.55
OMG - 2.30 - SOS 15.20
Cent - 2.58 - SOS 14.55
EP - 2.92 - SOS 15.78 (EDI SOS 15.60, MTKA SOS 15.42)

4 out of the 5 teams that have a SOS in the 15's are in D6 (OMG is the other team).

I respect your opinion...which teams goalie is better?