Elk River vs Blaine 1-10-13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Elk River vs Blaine 1-10-13

Post by alcloseshaver »

Can Elk River get a win over a top ranked team? Have really only beaten Moorhead, Andover and Holy Family, are these great teams?
ER's junior class has had great success against Blaine at the Bantam level and needs to step up. Lot's of shots against Centennial but only 2 goals. How is the Gordie Roberts era going?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Elk River needs this to stay in the hunt for a 2-3 seed. This is resume building time for the seeding meeting and it seems CEC and GR may have turned a corner recently, CEC changing goalies and their lines a bit seems to have sparked them, and GR had a huge character building come from behind win vs. a team they rarely beat and no Class AA team has beat all year. Elk River is certainly capable and proven they will bring a fight at sections, but it seems they need to step on the gas pedal a bit more right now.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Bronc

Post by Bronc »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Elk River needs this to stay in the hunt for a 2-3 seed. This is resume building time for the seeding meeting and it seems CEC and GR may have turned a corner recently, CEC changing goalies and their lines a bit seems to have sparked them, and GR had a huge character building come from behind win vs. a team they rarely beat and no Class AA team has beat all year. Elk River is certainly capable and proven they will bring a fight at sections, but it seems they need to step on the gas pedal a bit more right now.
Rapids has losses to St Francis, Forest Lake, ties CEC and after a win over an A team we are spouting they are off and running(?) Hermantown is good, but are they a Blaine? Probably depends if you are from Hermantown, Gr or Blaine:)

When a team turns the corner people won't have to wonder, as long as folks wonder they haven't.

Duluth loss to Denfeld is a puzzler. Thursday night we will be able to call a duck a duck for Rapids, East & ER and maybe even Blaine (regardless of who has a cold, hang nail or headache).
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Blaine 4 Elk River 3 OT
Not sure what ER was doing? They let Blaine run around and did not check them all night. Shots were 47-17 for Blaine. Very few penalties, one bad one by #13 of ER late in regulation for 5:00 major.
ER was up 3-1 after 2. Elk River goalie was outstanding, if he plays like this in the playoffs ER could steal one. Elk River still without a signature win.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Bronc wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Elk River needs this to stay in the hunt for a 2-3 seed. This is resume building time for the seeding meeting and it seems CEC and GR may have turned a corner recently, CEC changing goalies and their lines a bit seems to have sparked them, and GR had a huge character building come from behind win vs. a team they rarely beat and no Class AA team has beat all year. Elk River is certainly capable and proven they will bring a fight at sections, but it seems they need to step on the gas pedal a bit more right now.
Rapids has losses to St Francis, Forest Lake, ties CEC and after a win over an A team we are spouting they are off and running(?) Hermantown is good, but are they a Blaine? Probably depends if you are from Hermantown, Gr or Blaine:)

When a team turns the corner people won't have to wonder, as long as folks wonder they haven't.

Duluth loss to Denfeld is a puzzler. Thursday night we will be able to call a duck a duck for Rapids, East & ER and maybe even Blaine (regardless of who has a cold, hang nail or headache).
Wins vs. Roseau, Warroad, and D. Marshall and Elk River are more impressive wins than any of Forest Lake, Cloquet, or Andover has.
slyer

Post by slyer »

i saw the same thing way to many shots on goal, i don't get it
play hard

Post by play hard »

the kids of Blaine won the game, definity not the head coach's coaching.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

alcloseshaver wrote:Blaine 4 Elk River 3 OT
Not sure what ER was doing? ... Shots were 47-17 for Blaine
Trying to simulate a potential playoff meeting with East, perhaps? :lol:

Elky is doing a good job of hanging in there against all these good teams, but just can't quite make that big win happen. You figure it has to happen sooner or later.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

That is right on Karl, That is how they would have to beat East if they match up. Vs Rapids, CEC, Andover ect. will probably be 1 goal games.
ER had a great second period but overall should of buried some more of their good chances against an average goalie. Blaine is quick and deep up front and Elk River is just not deep enough on the blue line. Still have BSM and at Blaine and Centennial at home to get a few nice wins. Should be able to win their other games. Like Randolph said in the Duluth paper " the last 3 games of the season are what really counts"
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:That is right on Karl, That is how they would have to beat East if they match up. Vs Rapids, CEC, Andover ect. will probably be 1 goal games.
ER had a great second period but overall should of buried some more of their good chances against an average goalie. Blaine is quick and deep up front and Elk River is just not deep enough on the blue line. Still have BSM and at Blaine and Centennial at home to get a few nice wins. Should be able to win their other games. Like Randolph said in the Duluth paper " the last 3 games of the season are what really counts"
vs. Andover? Elk River dominated them in the first game and comparing results Elk River looks like a much better team. I would be shocked if ER didn't complete the sweep against them.
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

I think there was alot of preseason hype on Andover. I do not think they have lived up to that hype, however on any given night i would say they have the ability to beat just about anyone. I am not sure i can say that about Elk River, they seem fairly consistant, Maybe thats because I have not seen as much of them this yaer as some of the other teams in the conference.
Blaine is also hard to figure out, I think they have potential, but again i am not seeing them as a team that can go all the way through sections, maybe to inconsistant?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I think Andover and Forest Lake are capable of an upset, I just don't feel that vibe right now though even if the game is close. I'm sensing a separation of East, GR, CEC, and Elk River down the stretch from the rest. Those 4 at the semi-finals would be a blast. Blaine I would think is the favorite in their section but they'll get all they can handle with Centennial.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Centennial goalie is playing outstanding right now, had 43 saves vs ER. Blaine is the favorite in their section. With the semi's in Duluth is there any big advantage if you make the final four. East is the favorite and someone has to beat them be it the semi's or final. It is either a sat. or Thurs. Teams traveling from the South would stay Fri. night in Duluth probably based on game times for the semis. Home game is key in 1/4ers than take care of business up North.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:Centennial goalie is playing outstanding right now, had 43 saves vs ER. Blaine is the favorite in their section. With the semi's in Duluth is there any big advantage if you make the final four. East is the favorite and someone has to beat them be it the semi's or final. It is either a sat. or Thurs. Teams traveling from the South would stay Fri. night in Duluth probably based on game times for the semis. Home game is key in 1/4ers than take care of business up North.

It's all about matchups in the semi-finals. Sure you go with what you've got in front of you once the playoffs get there, but Cloquet just matches up well with East in the playoffs. GR and ER could also beat East no matter the round, but East with their scoring issues playing a CEC team that is gaining confidence after changing their lines and switching goalies would be very interesting.
It Hurts

Post by It Hurts »

play hard wrote:the kids of Blaine won the game, definity not the head coach's coaching.
Uh, let me guess, by this post and your previous ones - a disgruntled Bengal parent(s) with Cambridge-Isanti ties?
play hard

Post by play hard »

disgruntled, no. Am I wrong?
It Hurts

Post by It Hurts »

play hard wrote:disgruntled, no. Am I wrong?
Are you wrong about what?