Worst Student Sections

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Worst Student Sections

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

Lets hear a list of some of the worst student sections in the state

Examples could be teams that are good are have big student bodies but poor attendence at the games.
-Or just all around students who dont do anything....lets hear em
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

this should be a sub-post to the private bashing thread i.e Hill
blueblood

Worst student section

Post by blueblood »

216 - obnoxious, immature punks....
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

EP has gotten worse and worse, last night was an exception however for anyone at the game.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

Duluth East has bad regular season student sections. At state and sections they are one of the best though.
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

eagles137 wrote:EP has gotten worse and worse, last night was an exception however for anyone at the game.
Couldn't agree more. Of the 3 EP home games I've been to (Wayzata, Edina, BSM) yesterday was the first time I've heard a chant or seen the student section stand up. With that being said, I was actually very impressed with them yesterday.
BP

Post by BP »

allstatebenders wrote:Duluth East has bad regular season student sections. At state and sections they are one of the best though.

That's because they get to skip school and take a trip down to the Cities.....
hockeyrocks99

Post by hockeyrocks99 »

Brainerd student section....
celly93

Post by celly93 »

Minnetonka's is by no means bad, but it has been shrinking over the years.
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

celly93 wrote:Minnetonka's is by no means bad, but it has been shrinking over the years.
you obviously weren't at the Tonka vs. Edina game. Loudest I've ever heard Pagel.
celly93

Post by celly93 »

Metrohockeyfan wrote:
celly93 wrote:Minnetonka's is by no means bad, but it has been shrinking over the years.
you obviously weren't at the Tonka vs. Edina game. Loudest I've ever heard Pagel.
I wasn't, but you're not the first person to say it was loud. I don't doubt it was loud, but it's simply a fact that they are drawing fewer students than three years ago. Look at the videos from the 2009-2010 season and then look at the highlights from the Edina game.

Go to 1:11, the true student section is only that one section closest to the tunnel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xIc_ZoM72A

Go to 1:51, the students go all the way below the face off dot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj_G98122BE
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

I would say the two most disappointing student sections this year are Benilde and Eden Prairie. For how good of a team Benilde is, their students have not been showing up to games. The only game where I've heard them actually chant anything other than "Let's Go Red Knights" was at the Hill/Benilde game. They barely even had anyone there for the Benilde/Tonka game, which I would say is their biggest rivalry game of the year.

On the other hand, I have no clue what is up with EP. With the biggest school in the state, one would think that their student section would be off the wall. The fact that they sit down at every game is slightly pathetic.

Even Edina's is not as good as it has been now that they're on the other side of Braemar due to the locker room/bench changes there.

In my opinion, even though $5 isn't a lot of money and is certainly worth it for avid hockey fans, some students that aren't as interested in hockey aren't going to games anymore because they just don't want to pay. I think all students should get in free..that would only make the atmosphere at each respective rink THAT much better.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

tonkafan77 wrote:I would say the two most disappointing student sections this year are Benilde and Eden Prairie. For how good of a team Benilde is, their students have not been showing up to games. The only game where I've heard them actually chant anything other than "Let's Go Red Knights" was at the Hill/Benilde game. They barely even had anyone there for the Benilde/Tonka game, which I would say is their biggest rivalry game of the year.

On the other hand, I have no clue what is up with EP. With the biggest school in the state, one would think that their student section would be off the wall. The fact that they sit down at every game is slightly pathetic.

Even Edina's is not as good as it has been now that they're on the other side of Braemar due to the locker room/bench changes there.

In my opinion, even though $5 isn't a lot of money and is certainly worth it for avid hockey fans, some students that aren't as interested in hockey aren't going to games anymore because they just don't want to pay. I think all students should get in free..that would only make the atmosphere at each respective rink THAT much better.
Many students do get in free - for home games. BSM students do.
SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

tonkafan77 wrote:I would say the two most disappointing student sections this year are Benilde and Eden Prairie. For how good of a team Benilde is, their students have not been showing up to games. The only game where I've heard them actually chant anything other than "Let's Go Red Knights" was at the Hill/Benilde game. They barely even had anyone there for the Benilde/Tonka game, which I would say is their biggest rivalry game of the year.

I know some schools out there sell season passes that get students into all home games for not that much money.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

C-dad wrote:

That makes their turnout even more embarrassing then :wink:
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

tonkafan77 wrote:
C-dad wrote:

That makes their turnout even more embarrassing then :wink:
Of course.
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Maybe the problem is (at some schools) that the players aren't always the ones you grew up with, MOSTLY HOCKEY, and the majority of them follow the sports where the movement of players isn't so much in and out, and the students relate and get behind them more ,etc.. Basketball, Baseball.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

When its a private school or smaller school in general if there are any other activites it takes away alot of the students.
Cake

Post by Cake »

Regarding the disappointing Eden Prairie student section, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the senior class is still in trouble from the Star Tribune article a few years back about vulgar sports chants, and that would be why they haven't chanted much and there isn't much excitement at the games.

About the Edina student section: there just isn't much interest in the team itself at the school. Half of the student section is made up of sophomores who are more there to socialize than watch the game and thus don't chant, and there's only a small group of devoted juniors and seniors going to the away games. Also the student section has been struggling to find a new place at home games, getting moved around a few times by the arena staff.
green4

Post by green4 »

Edina fans have been complaining about the High schoolers standing this year and overall just a weak edina cheering section has them down a little bit
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

. Also the student section has been struggling to find a new place at home games, getting moved around a few times by the arena staff.[/quote]

I'm puzzled as to how how the location of the student section at a home game.....in a high school arena... can make THAT much of a difference as to how into the game they are? Its not like they've stuck up in 233 at the X.
It is what it is!
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

Bigcat99 wrote:. Also the student section has been struggling to find a new place at home games, getting moved around a few times by the arena staff.
I'm puzzled as to how how the location of the student section at a home game.....in a high school arena... can make THAT much of a difference as to how into the game they are? Its not like they've stuck up in 233 at the X.[/quote] Actually does make a difference at Braemar. The old section used to be right next to the visting bench, where they weren't in the way of other fans, and were in a better position to heckle the opposing players. That location also probably made them louder, with the throught that they'd get in the head of opponents.
green4

Post by green4 »

Metrohockeyfan wrote:
Bigcat99 wrote:. Also the student section has been struggling to find a new place at home games, getting moved around a few times by the arena staff.
I'm puzzled as to how how the location of the student section at a home game.....in a high school arena... can make THAT much of a difference as to how into the game they are? Its not like they've stuck up in 233 at the X.
Actually does make a difference at Braemar. The old section used to be right next to the visting bench, where they weren't in the way of other fans, and were in a better position to heckle the opposing players. That location also probably made them louder, with the throught that they'd get in the head of opponents.[/quote]
This is true, i remember last year during the holiday tourney against Elk river some edina kids continued to yell the first name of a elk river player and by the 3rd period this kid was showing his emotions towards the student section. But besides that the other factor is they cant seem to find a spot to stand anymore and when they are forced to sit that can really take the energy out of some fans especially some that don't know hockey all that well.