CONGRATS to O'Leary at Wayzata- Non-teacher Hockey Coaches

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

RUKidding

CONGRATS to O'Leary at Wayzata- Non-teacher Hockey Coaches

Post by RUKidding »

Congrats to Pat O'Leary and his Trojans with their big Section win over BSM. Besides O'Leary and Janne Kivihalme at Burnsville, how many other Minnesota high school teams have non-teacher coaches? In this day and age, it would seem more specialized sports like hockey and lacrosse at this level should not be hamstrung by a teacher only policy.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I'm guessing Giles & Urick aren't teachers.
mngopherfan

Re: CONGRATS to O'Leary at Wayzata- Non-teacher Hockey Coach

Post by mngopherfan »

RUKidding wrote:Congrats to Pat O'Leary and his Trojans with their big Section win over BSM. Besides O'Leary and Janne Kivihalme at Burnsville, how many other Minnesota high school teams have non-teacher coaches? In this day and age, it would seem more specialized sports like hockey and lacrosse at this level should not be hamstrung by a teacher only policy.
Hopkins, Tonka and Edina are all non teacher coaches...
RUKidding

Post by RUKidding »

Doc Holliday wrote:I'm guessing Giles & Urick aren't teachers.
Good catch on Giles

Curt Giles
Former North Stars defenseman Curt ...
www.startribune.com, 17 Mar 2010 [cached]
Former North Stars defenseman Curt Giles, who coached Edina to the Class 2A boys' hockey title last week,is not a full-time teacher at Edina but works outside of the school.
"I think it's something like 60-70 percent of the coaches now that are coaching a lot of the athletics in the high schools are non-teachers," Giles said. "We took the approach they don't see us at school every day, so it might be a little bit of a break not being one of their teachers."
Giles played for the North Stars for almost 12 full seasons and also spent time with the Blues and Rangers.
The Edina High School coaches - ...
www.postbulletin.com, 23 Dec 2010 [cached]
The Edina High School coaches - headed by Curt Giles, a former NHL defenseman, and his assistants Terwilliger; the four-time Stanley Cup-winning Islanders defenseman Dave Langevin; and the former NHL goalie Don Beaupre - work with Bill Smith, who coaches the Edina Junior Gold A team.

Also, Brian Urick at Tonka works at Thermo King
Rolf Ulvin at Hopkins is president of TopSite MultiFamily
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Housley, Podein, Roberts
D3Referee

Post by D3Referee »

RUKidding wrote:Congrats to Pat O'Leary and his Trojans with their big Section win over BSM.
Here, Here! =D> \:D/ =D>
"See ya in another life brother"
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Hengen at AHA
Johnson at Richfield
celly93

Post by celly93 »

D3Referee wrote:
RUKidding wrote:Congrats to Pat O'Leary and his Trojans with their big Section win over BSM.
Here, Here! =D> \:D/ =D>
D3R,

Congrats on your team's victory. I don't think many people on this forum have a problem with Wayzata. Make sure you don't ruin that.
bafata88

Post by bafata88 »

This is too good for me to pass up.

Giles is the furthest thing from a teacher one can get. People can argue about his coaching abilities. But a teacher? Certainly not.