Class A Quarterfinal: Marshall vs. #2 Breck

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Pick a result...

Breck by 10+
47%
Breck by less than 10
42%
Marshall
11%

Total votes: 38

karl(east)

Class A Quarterfinal: Marshall vs. #2 Breck

Post by karl(east) »

MARSHALL VS. #2 BRECK
11:00 Wednesday
-The tournament opens with a game between a perennial Class A power and a Cinderella story out of the southwest corner of the state. These teams do not appear to have ever met before.

Marshall (14-10-1, unranked, 4-seed in 3A)
First State Tournament appearance
Key section wins: 5-3 over 1-seed Luverne, 3-2 over Hutchinson
-The Tigers pulled off a stunning run through the state’s weakest section, becoming the lowest-rated team to make the Tournament in recent memory, if not in all time. Any chance they have of keeping a game close is on the shoulders of goalie Mason Campion (1), who was the star of their run through sections. Their leading scorers are Quinn Horvath (4), Beau Mikel (11), and Corey Clark (21). Realistically, they will do well to keep Breck under ten goals.

Breck (24-3-1, #2, 1-seed in 2A)
State appearances: 9 (5 in a row)
Championships: 4 (2000, 2004, 2009, 2010)
Key section win: 6-2 over #18 Delano
-Despite losing a lot of talent off last year’s third place team, the Mustangs simply reloaded, and with two one-goal losses to top-ranked St. Thomas this season, they are certainly in the picture for a state title. Matt Colford (23) and Thomas Lindstrom (16) headline a potent offense, Derek Wiitala (18) leads a steady group of defensemen, and Henry Johnson (31) has been reliable in goal. They have no obvious weaknesses, and should be able to sail through the first round before facing a stiff test in the semifinals.
Last edited by karl(east) on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

This game will get as ugly, in terms of scoring, as the Breck coaches allow it to. Breck's fourth line should be looking forward to this one, as they'll get some good playing time!

Breck 9, Marshall 1 (heck, why not? :lol: )
Teak

Post by Teak »

Marshall has a good first line made up of seniors Horvath, Mikel and Zerr. They also have a junior goalie who was hot in the sectional playoff. What they don't have is the ability to break out of their defensive zone easily. I suspect this could be like a half-rink game, with Breck getting shooting practice.

Good luck, Tigers; you're going to need it. :shock:
StanleyYelnats

Post by StanleyYelnats »

this will be ugly right away. Within ten wouldn't be bad. As long as there isn't 5 goals in a minute they shouldn't be too dissapointed.
Deck Slide

Post by Deck Slide »

Breck comes out flatt only scores 2 or 3 in the first. Get their ass chewed between periods and after 2 periods Breck has a touchdown and a two point conversion on the board..

Marshall might be the least skilled team ever to grace the X in March.. Marshall's goalie would have a hard time being Breck's JV goalie and he was the best goalie in the Section. Congrats to the Tigers for winning their Section but it will be two and BBQ for the Tigers.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Yes, Marshall has essentially no chance. In fact, they'll most likely get blown out.
However, here is an article from the Marshall newspaper describing how much of a big deal this state appearance is for Marshall and SW MN hockey in general.
I hope they can at least make the consolation bracket game entertaining:
http://www.marshallindependent.com/page ... l?nav=5021
Good luck, Tigers!
gitter

Post by gitter »

jeffpv wrote:Yes, Marshall has essentially no chance. In fact, they'll most likely get blown out.
However, here is an article from the Marshall newspaper describing how much of a big deal this state appearance is for Marshall and SW MN hockey in general.
I hope they can at least make the consolation bracket game entertaining:
http://www.marshallindependent.com/page ... l?nav=5021
Good luck, Tigers!
Nice article. Regardless of what happens, they will have a great time in St. Paul.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Breck, 8-1. Larson won't take the foot off the gas even up by 5-7 goals. He will still have his 1st PP unit on the ice at the end of the game.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Alright, time for me to make my picks. The first game looks to be a tune-up for one of the teams:

Daring of me, I know. But I expect a spirited effort out of Marshall...no matter what, it's a big day for their program. If they can keep it out of running time, I'll be impressed.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Breck will reach ten goals with more goals than Marshall will have shots.
I will be there as I have the last fifteen years for all tourney games at the xcel. Down directly in last row of seats on main level directly below tv stand for all single A games.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Is the tournament all about getting new teams (Marshall) to St. Paul and 'Having a good time', or should there be some semblance of collecting the best teams of that year for the tournament?
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Tripod wrote:Is the tournament all about getting new teams (Marshall) to St. Paul and 'Having a good time', or should there be some semblance of collecting the best teams of that year for the tournament?
Are you really of the opinion that, in the end, the best team in the state doesn't win the tournament (as a general rule)?
I, for one, think it would be a tragedy if all the state tournament slots were filled only with private schools, Cities schools, and the odd northern team.

I think that the state tournament should indeed be played to ascertain the best team in the state. However, it should also be an avenue for growing the sport of hockey.
roundhead

Post by roundhead »

Tripod wrote:Is the tournament all about getting new teams (Marshall) to St. Paul and 'Having a good time', or should there be some semblance of collecting the best teams of that year for the tournament?
Why is this so hard for people to understand? Some of the BEST NFL teams this year didn't play in the Super Bowl? Many of the best D1 Basketball teams will NOT make the Final 4. College Footballl, dont' get me started! In nearly every sport, YOU play the regular season to give yourself the best seeding spot you can to get into playdowns.... THEN you either play better than your opponents, at THAT time and PLACE, or your done. Why the HE** is this so hard for people to understand?

IF you somehow take the statistical advantage into play, you effectively take 50% of the INTEREST out of sports by way of the Underdog Upset! Incredible how these people who feel they've been slighted by another team/town who's made a post-season run by PLAYING THE GAME at the right time.

A little motivational Video for ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wmV0FyqxN4
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Have seen teams in this section play. Let me give you some perspective. Late in the year New Ulm beat Marshall 7-1 and Le Sueur/St. Peter beat them 5-2.
I think it is safe to say even the coaches from Breck calling off the dogs early still means a double digit win... 12-0.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

The State Tourney needs to represent the state. If this means the 'best' teams didn't make the tourney, which happens each and every year, then so be it. Of course no one wants terrible teams at state, and the gap between the 8 teams at the X in single A is obviously huge.

I think of it like this: every team made the playoffs (sections). Only a handful (eight)won their regional. Some are easier than others, just like every sport.

This tourney gets to showcase some of the best teams in the state, rarely all the best teams in the state. I for one love seeing new teams at the X and it certainly makes it fun to speculate when top teams are knocked off in sections
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Breck by two. [touchdowns]
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

I see at least 238 fans in the X for this game. I wonder if that means anything?
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

whos_it wrote:I see at least 238 fans in the X for this game. I wonder if that means anything?
OH, and go Tiger's. Everyone loves an UNDERDOG!!!
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

2 - 0, 4 minutes in .......... it may be over.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Ugh this is gonna get ugly.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Campion making some decent saves here after letting in the first two shots.

I am pleasantly encouraged every time Marshall gets it out of their own zone.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Check out all the day glow...It's back to the '80s! :lol:
Buy ya a soda after the game!
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

That fan cam made me think I was a day late for the tourney. The fans look like Tater fans with all of the black and orange and BIG M's on their shirts.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

It appears as though Breck is on the power play the entire time.
Marshall's just crowding the defensive zone with five guys in front of the net; not that I blame them, of course.

3-0 after one. I would say that period was a small victory for Marshall! I really hope they can find a way to score at some point...
iwatchalotofhockey

Prep45.com Highlights

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

Please click below for the highlights I am clipping during the whole tourney. This is for the Breck vs Marshall game and will be updated throughout the games on the fly. Working very nicely! Thanks everyone

Sid @ MnHockeyCenter / Prep45.com

http://pointstreak.com/flashapp/index_h ... id=2159888