2013 Caribou Cup

Discussion of AAA Hockey

Moderator: Mitch Hawker

cariboucup

2013 Caribou Cup

Post by cariboucup »

The 2013 Caribou Cup tourney is filling up quickly. Register your teams now to ensure you team is locked to play.

New tournament website: www.thecariboucup.com

The Caribou Cup offers Elite and AAA levels for most boy's and girl's birth years.

Visit website for further details.

Thank you -
cariboucup

Post by cariboucup »

There is still time to register for the Aug 22nd-25th Caribou Cup tournament.

The website for registration and tournament information is www.thecariboucup.com.

The Caribou Cup offers Elite and AAA competition levels in most age categories.

Do not hesitate to email or call the Tournament Directors listed on the website if you have any questions.

Thank you -
Hockeyguy83

Post by Hockeyguy83 »

Caribou Cup
You may want to check out this other thread on this site. I believe the Jr. Chill plays in your tournament. Maybe you want to think twice about that?

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31266
cariboucup

Post by cariboucup »

The Caribou Cup tournament is scheduled for August 22 thru August 25th.

Many levels have expanded over the past few weeks which has created a few openings for teams that would like to participate in the 5th Annual Caribou Cup.

You can register online at the tournament website or email the Tournament Directors (go to website to email).

The following are openings at the Girls Levels:

1 Opening: U19 Girls (93, 94 and 95 birth years)

1 Opening: U16 Girls (96 and 97)

1 Opening: U14 Elite Girls (98 and 99)

U12 Elite is full but could expand by 1 team

1 opening: U10 girls (02 and 03)

1 opening: U8 Girls (04 and younger)

The following are openings at the Boy's Levels

1 opening: U16 Boys Level - (98 and 97 Birth Years)

99 Elite is full but could expand by 1 team.

1 opening: 00 Elite

1 opening: 01 Elite

1 opening: 02 AAA

1 opening: 03 Elite

Thanks.
coachdevelopment

Post by coachdevelopment »

Bump
Hockeyguy83

Post by Hockeyguy83 »

Your changes of the eligibility rules for girls is just a joke. How can you allow 99's in a U12 tournament (in a month they will be playing U14) or 01's in a U10 (they will be playing U12). My guess is you have succumb to pressure from the Jr. Chill that they would pull out their teams. That would make you just as greedy as they are. Be the bigger person and stand up for what you know is right! Don't let programs like the Jr. Chill continue to cheat and get away with it. You are soiling your good reputation with these changes.
observer

Post by observer »

Agree. Caribou Cup made a big mistake on this one.

Summer girls hockey has always been you play the level you'll play in the fall. Period. Bad move and not fair to all the other teams entered that follow the age rules.

The amazing part for me is it's probably 3-4 players they need to move from each team. And, they have other teams to move them to. I can't imagine the entire team is overage. It would also make the teams ready for next summer and improve their image as a potential place to train and play summer 2014. Now? Stay away.

Now we have two organizations bending rules for their personal benefit.

Chill, move the players to the proper teams, put together roster books with birth certificates and move on.

Caribou Cup has damaged their reputation big time. It also reflects poorly on the entire sport of hockey. I've never heard of other youth sport tournament organizers allowing this. The Caribou Cup was the one that could have helped the Chill understand how easy it is to comply. If the rumor is true, fix it now or forever be known as a tourney to skip.
Last edited by observer on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOK2013

Post by HOK2013 »

Remember, half of the 00's will be playing 14's next year and half of the 02's will be playing U12's next year. What is the difference between a late 01 and an early 02??? absolutely nothing but a number! All tournaments need to go to an association birth year format! On the other hand I would have liked to see it have gone the other way. Play in the level you are moving to next year. Meaning the early 02's would have to play U12's too.
HuskiesHockey

Post by HuskiesHockey »

what's the difference between an '01 and an '02, nothing but a number! What's the difference between U10 and U12, nothing but a number! Are you serious? To clarify AAA eligibility follows USA hockey eligibility:

U8 = 2004 and younger
U10 = 2003, 2002
U12 = 2000, 2001
U14 = 1998, 1999

These levels are just double birth year levels, very simple. Whatever the eligibility, it is.
Last edited by HuskiesHockey on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyFam5

Post by hockeyFam5 »

Numbers are just numbers. I am the type of person that likes to follow the rules and expect everyone else to do so. I think it is very wrong to change rules about eligiblilty one month prior to the tournament, unless the tournament director received the consent of all teams that were signed up prior to the rule change. I don't think that is the case here?
thoen

Post by thoen »

This whole saga is three and a half steps past comical. As a coach of a team in the U10 level of the 'Bou, i can say that i was never contacted about the switching of age classifications. Just another reason why the girls side of summer hockey should go to straight birth years like the boys do it. Little disappointed with the 'Bou that the age classification rule was changed a few weeks prior to the event without any notification or explanation given to the teams that had already plunked down their $$$$. I know individuals closely involved with the tournament and i have always said it is a well run event, from the website, the online game stream to the apparel. But this decision is a bit of a head scratcher.
thoen

Post by thoen »

Just as an fyi, the age classification for the 'Bou has been changed back to what it was all along. U10s are now 02s and 03s. Posted on their site a little while ago. This was the right move by the tournament, which i still say is one of the better run events during the spring/summer season.

• U19 Girl’s Age Requirements: A player is eligible for the U19 Girl’s age division if their date is 1993, 1994 or 1995 or younger

• U16 Girl’s Age Requirements: A player is eligible for the U16 Girl’s age division if their birth date is 1996 or 1997 or younger.

• U14 Girl’s Age Requirements: A player is eligible for the U16 Girl’s age division if their birth date is 1998 or 1999 or younger.

• U12 Girl’s Age Requirements: A player is eligible for the U12 Girl’s age division if their birth date is 2000 or 2001 or younger.

• U10 Girl’s Age Requirements: A player is eligible for the U10 Girl’s age division if their birth date is 2002 or 2003 or younger.

• U8 Girl’s Age Requirements: A player is eligible for the U8 Girls age division if their birth date is 2004 or younger.
Hockeyguy83

Post by Hockeyguy83 »

Kudos to the Caribou Cup for changing their eligibility rules back! Now the question is will they ENFORCE these rules. We all know that 99% of the AAA do obey the rules and don't need to be monitored or checked. But there are certain AAA associations that do not obey these rules (i.e. Jr. Chill). Will the Caribou Cup allow them in? That AAA organization has been doing it for years.

The devil in me says that the Caribou Cup should allow the Jr. Chill to register, collect their entry fee and then have them forfeit every game they use illegal players. This would cause quite a stir with the parents of the organization.

Of course, the right to do is just not let them register given their reputation:-)
HuskiesHockey

Post by HuskiesHockey »

Thank you to the Caribou guys for making this right. Looks like they made a mistake but corrected it quickly. It probably wasn't fair to lump them in with the Chill without giving them a chance to resolve the problem first. We're looking forward to a great tournament.