best U10 and U12 tournaments

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

hokmom

best U10 and U12 tournaments

Post by hokmom »

I am charged with signing our association's teams up for their tournaments next year. Can YHH and others give me a sense of some of the best/most competitive, well run tournaments for the U10's and U12's. Any advise would be appreciated.
hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper »

I would say the bigger tourneys such as Edina Cake Eater, Duluth IceBreakers are the 2 "marquee" tourneys that come to mind. WBL, Wayzata, Stillwater, Fargo do a good job as well. There is a flavor for all teams depending on what you're looking for from a competition perspective vs a well run tourney. Just because a tourney has the top teams doesn't necessarily mean they are the best run.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

hockeychopper wrote:I would say the bigger tourneys such as Edina Cake Eater, Duluth IceBreakers are the 2 "marquee" tourneys that come to mind. WBL, Wayzata, Stillwater, Fargo do a good job as well. There is a flavor for all teams depending on what you're looking for from a competition perspective vs a well run tourney. Just because a tourney has the top teams doesn't necessarily mean they are the best run.
Top 5 girls tournaments in regard to #1 Competition and #2 Organization (for a combine A & B tournament):
1. Duluth
2. Edina
3. Centennial
4. Wayzata
5. Woodbury
HM to Stillwater & WBL
If you want to prepare for the long run in 12's, get into at least 2 of these tournaments, if not three.
hokmom

Post by hokmom »

Thanks.
HuskiesHockey

Post by HuskiesHockey »

Has anyone been to the Duluth Icebreaker and the Fargo tournament? We've always gone the Icebreaker but I heard Fargo did a really nice job too. I think they're the same weekend so I was looking for someone who could compare and contrast the two.
hokmom

Post by hokmom »

We went to Fargo last year. It was the first time they were trying to replicate the Squirt Int'l tournament -- had the Olympics and Pin trading. If you like it on the boy's side, you will like this tournament. The only difference is that they have all age groups not just Squirts/U10s, so the brackets are not as large. I think it will only get more popular.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

St. Luke's Icebreaker is the top youth girls hockey tournament in the country, bar none. Schwag and top competition in a great setting. Fargo is ok, but not in the same league...
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

best tournement for u12s in the country? Your kidding right or you don't get past the boarders much.
HuskiesHockey

Post by HuskiesHockey »

Hard water fan wrote:St. Luke's Icebreaker is the top youth girls hockey tournament in the country, bar none. Schwag and top competition in a great setting. Fargo is ok, but not in the same league...
so you've played in both and you feel Duluth is better? I know they have a waiting list every year and the competition is outstanding but I was a little disappointed with some of the rinks. The nice rinks are great, as good as it gets, but the lower end rinks are horrible. We played in the worst rink I've ever been in last year and it was a fairly meaningful game. I'm probably nit picking but I heard Fargo was pretty good so I was curious.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Girl's Youth Hockey. Big difference between that and say the Polar Bear Tournament in CT that has a host of 19's. Same goes with the various Tier I and Summer AAA events. Decent tournaments but not focused on youth. The Icebreakers has several things going for it- size (around 80+ teams, the LARGEST in the world for girls YOUTH hockey), quality (top teams at each level consistently come), support (sponsored by a St. Luke's which is dedicated to providing opportunities for girl's youth athletics.) Schwag- fun gifts for the kids, extra events (speakers, seminars, Bulldog games, Whitecap games, etc.), centralized location in a beautiful city, history, permanent trophy for winners in all divisions, etc. Yes, there have been issues in the past as all tournaments experience. Volunteer run programs typically will have a snafu or two. Most complaints typically revolved around bracket construction or the UMD rink which has had to be utilized a couple of times in the past due to various situations that popped up. All in all a pretty good history considering size and expectations from attendees. Arguable? Yes, but all things being subjective, I maintain you can't beat the competition and overall experience...
NE14HKY

Post by NE14HKY »

Hard water fan wrote:St. Luke's Icebreaker is the top youth girls hockey tournament in the country, bar none. Schwag and top competition in a great setting. Fargo is ok, but not in the same league...

Gone to Duluth for the last 4 years. Very fun
tourney. I have friends that run it. BUT, at
1500bux for 3 games, our association has pulled
out! I have nothing bad to say about the tourney.
ALWAYS the top teams! And a couple of the years
we have gone to see the Lady Bulldogs play. BUT,
$500/game to play at Freezeburger is tough!
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Actually four game guarantee. Invitation only, pool and bracket play- chance of playing a 5th game. Can't say much about Freezeburger other than the girls love playing on it while the parents need an extra layer of clothing. Old school rink with a rich heritage. Personally, it's one of my fav's, but I can understand why parents don't like it- especially those of you south of the arctic quadrangle... :wink:
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

I love visiting Duluth, but everyone wants to go there. I think the Icebreaker tourney has gotten too big.

If it's a 4-game guarantee, I'm pretty sure that's a new policy. Last year, we were three and out. Done by early afternoon on Saturday. Be prepared to ask your team to take Friday off of school & work to play in this tournament. And if you haven't booked a block of hotel rooms by now, chances are you'll be staying in Superior or Cloquet.
hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper »

Maybe staying in Cloquet is better since I believe we played 2 out of our 4 games there both before 8am, yet stayed in Duluth.
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

hockeychopper wrote:Maybe staying in Cloquet is better since I believe we played 2 out of our 4 games there both before 8am, yet stayed in Duluth.
:lol: That is funny. And you registered for the Duluth tourney, not the Cloquet tourney, correct?
hockey121330

Post by hockey121330 »

I have been to both Duluth and Fargo, both are good tournaments. I would lean towards Duluth for an overall competitive advantage as the majority of the top teams do tend to go to Duluth; however Driving 3 hours North to end up playing the same teams, and sometimes the same teams from your District is a bit fustrating but as long as it's not a 1st round matchup, it is what it is. Canal Park Lodge is by far the best for hosting tournament teams and playing at Heritage (if you're lucky enough) is as good as it gets. What's nice about Fargo is that you play other teams that you're not used to playing too much. Usually Fargo has a pretty decent girls team and you'll play teams from Bismarck and or Canadian teams which is a nice change of pace from the usual 'city' teams. My daughters went to Duluth all the years from 10's to 12's so by the time they get to 14's they are kind of bored with Duluth so Fargo was and is a nice change of pace. I would for sure do Duluth at 10's and 12's but by the time they are 14's, give Fargo a try. For local tournaments, I really like the tournaments that have both A and B going at the same time, I can think of the Woodbury Sweetheart, Stillwater Skate for the Roses and of course Edina early on is nice. Centennial, well run but playing at the Super Rink especially in the back rinks doesn't feel like a tournament. Nice to have your association teams in the same place sometimes and watch and support them too. The ones mentioned above are all good ones!