Blaine 14UA (swapping roster players)

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Lace'emUp

Blaine 14UA (swapping roster players)

Post by Lace'emUp »

My D10 contact says that Blaine's 14UA team swapped players with Blaine's 14UB team in their league scheduled game with each other a couple weeks ago (a Blaine parent blew the whistle on them). Since it was a league game, is this legal? At the very least, would not the coaches be suspended? Anyone know more?
Froggy Richards

Re: Blaine 14UA (swapping roster players)

Post by Froggy Richards »

Lace'emUp wrote:My D10 contact says that Blaine's 14UA team swapped players with Blaine's 14UB team in their league scheduled game with each other a couple weeks ago (a Blaine parent blew the whistle on them). Since it was a league game, is this legal? At the very least, would not the coaches be suspended? Anyone know more?
Maybe the Dingo ate your baby!
Lace'emUp

Re: Blaine 14UA (swapping roster players)

Post by Lace'emUp »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:My D10 contact says that Blaine's 14UA team swapped players with Blaine's 14UB team in their league scheduled game with each other a couple weeks ago (a Blaine parent blew the whistle on them). Since it was a league game, is this legal? At the very least, would not the coaches be suspended? Anyone know more?
Maybe the Dingo ate your baby!
That's real, original, knee slapping funny stuff there Elaine. You are a comic! Already got my answer - the Dingo was suspended for his first D10 playoff game.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

And the coach?
I understand you have to punish the kid, but it's not like she called up the coach and asked to be double rostered.
observer

Post by observer »

Sounds sensible to me. Just cuz Edina families like to beat each other up and then brag superiority to one another doesn't make it right.
skateittillyouloseit

Post by skateittillyouloseit »

Having first hand knowledge of this issue, I was hoping it would just go away. But you Centennial people just wouldn't let it, would you?
Blaine did hold a 'scrimmage' in place of a league game because the 'B' team was missing some players and instead of a forfeit, they had some 'A' players play of the 'B' side. There were referees present and they recorded the game as a 3-0 victory for the 'A' team.
Someone from Centennial found out and went to D10 officials hoping to get Blaine's top-ranked 14A team disqualified from the D10 tourney, which would have ended Blaine's season and given Centennial a free pass to Regions.
Blaine's coaches screwed up by not asking permission to do this and in the end D10 did suspend the coach one game and require some volunteer hours to be served. BTW, Centennial did not qualify for Regions after Blaine thumped them (without their head coach). Karma?
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

skateittillyouloseit wrote:Having first hand knowledge of this issue, I was hoping it would just go away. But you Centennial people just wouldn't let it, would you?
Blaine did hold a 'scrimmage' in place of a league game because the 'B' team was missing some players and instead of a forfeit, they had some 'A' players play of the 'B' side. There were referees present and they recorded the game as a 3-0 victory for the 'A' team.
Someone from Centennial found out and went to D10 officials hoping to get Blaine's top-ranked 14A team disqualified from the D10 tourney, which would have ended Blaine's season and given Centennial a free pass to Regions.
Blaine's coaches screwed up by not asking permission to do this and in the end D10 did suspend the coach one game and require some volunteer hours to be served. BTW, Centennial did not qualify for Regions after Blaine thumped them (without their head coach). Karma?
I don't have a horse in this race, but I was told that it was a Blaine B-team parent that blew the whistle on their own association. The last name of the whistle blower is not listed on the Centennial roster in the D10 Playoff program. I could care less either way. This was happening at the same time as the Achievers Academy scandal (using illegal players), so I thought it would be a conversation topic.

In the end, the coach did not follow the rules, and it also appears the refs knew too, which is not good either. These types of things really piss off people on the D10 board. It makes them look bad too.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

Lace'emUp wrote:In the end, the coach did not follow the rules, and it also appears the refs knew too, which is not good either. These types of things really piss off people on the D10 board. It makes them look bad too.
Who cares what upsets the D10 board. Maybe if they followed their own rules, others would work harder to follow their rules. Examples:

Rule against allowing D10 associations to coop with associations in other districts. Ex. Andover U12 girls coop with FL U12. There were lots of options in D10 to do this a couple years ago. This year, Irondale coop PW boys with North Metro and girls coop with Roseville.

Rosters are signed off in November. Not supposed to change them after that. But D10 allows Rogers Bantam A to swap their A goalie with their B goalie in December. Yes it was before rosters are frozen at the end of December but it shouldn't have been done.

Allowing Rogers, Irondale/St. Francis and Andover to move down from Bantam AA to Bantam A. Rogers and Andover both are AA high schools. Irondale/St. Francis would have to be AA if the high schools cooped. Guess who the top 2 teams at Bantam A are, Rogers and Irondale/St. Francis.

Maybe D10 officials should either enforce all their rules or eliminate the rules they don't want to enforce and just relax.

Blaine knew what they were doing was wrong and deserved to be punished for it. But D10 forcing U14 A teams to play U14 B teams is just ridiculous. They didn't make Bantam/Peewee A teams play AA teams this year. I know why they did it, but it doesn't mean it is a good idea.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

BluehawkHockey wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:In the end, the coach did not follow the rules, and it also appears the refs knew too, which is not good either. These types of things really piss off people on the D10 board. It makes them look bad too.
Who cares what upsets the D10 board. Maybe if they followed their own rules, others would work harder to follow their rules. Examples:

Rule against allowing D10 associations to coop with associations in other districts. Ex. Andover U12 girls coop with FL U12. There were lots of options in D10 to do this a couple years ago. This year, Irondale coop PW boys with North Metro and girls coop with Roseville.

Rosters are signed off in November. Not supposed to change them after that. But D10 allows Rogers Bantam A to swap their A goalie with their B goalie in December. Yes it was before rosters are frozen at the end of December but it shouldn't have been done.

Allowing Rogers, Irondale/St. Francis and Andover to move down from Bantam AA to Bantam A. Rogers and Andover both are AA high schools. Irondale/St. Francis would have to be AA if the high schools cooped. Guess who the top 2 teams at Bantam A are, Rogers and Irondale/St. Francis.

Maybe D10 officials should either enforce all their rules or eliminate the rules they don't want to enforce and just relax.

Blaine knew what they were doing was wrong and deserved to be punished for it. But D10 forcing U14 A teams to play U14 B teams is just ridiculous. They didn't make Bantam/Peewee A teams play AA teams this year. I know why they did it, but it doesn't mean it is a good idea.
Holy smokes. I didn't know about all the issues on the boys side. If true, you're correct. It sounds like some people in D10 need to clean up their house too. Maybe someone from the boys side of the D10 can speak up and anwser to these issues.

As for the Blaine 14A issue, there can be a lesson learned from it. If parents know a coach is going to do something that could be against the rules, speak up before it happens. As skateittillyouloseit stated, Blaine could have been excluded from the play-offs for what they did (which would have been stupid). Who would've have been the big loser? The kids. And for what? Swapping rosters in a meaningless game? What they could've done is call the game a forfeit, send the refs home, turn the clock off, put on the practice jerseys on, and have a shared practice/scrimmage. Problem solved.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

BluehawkHockey wrote:

In the interests of correct information, Irondale's U10s co-oped with Roseville last year. This year their U8s, U10s and U12s co-oped with Mounds View. Further, next Monday MV will be voting whether to engage in a two year complete co-op with Irondale, with the intent to permanently merge the associations in 2016-17.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

jg2112 wrote:
In the interests of correct information, Irondale's U10s co-oped with Roseville last year. This year their U8s, U10s and U12s co-oped with Mounds View. Further, next Monday MV will be voting whether to engage in a two year complete co-op with Irondale, with the intent to permanently merge the associations in 2016-17.
That's good news. Irondale has really struggled with their numbers in recent years. Makes both of them stronger and a permanent merge is probably a good idea.

Irondale U10's co-oped with Roseville the year before doesn't change that it violates D10 rules to don't allow co-ops outside of the district. D10 should be saying no to these and working to find an in District association for them to co-op with. Or get rid of the rule.

I'm in favor of any long term co-op that can be created, especially on the girls side. Let's face it, girls numbers are down in just about every association. Small associations may only have a few A level players who end up either playing down or playing on bad A teams. B players don't get the touches they need either. Co-ops can smooth much of this out.

I heard that Blaine and SLP were considering doing a long term co-op for their girls. D10 tried to force A level co-ops a few years ago that fell apart.

The girls need more effort from the association boards.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Bluehawk
Please post these rules you are quoting, I tried to find them in the Mn Hockey handbook and D10 Handbook maybe you can help.

The Associations at the Bantam level playing at the A level were approved by Mn Hockey not D10 and Rogers is an A enrollment school playing at the AA level in HS.

You also forgot about some FL girls playing with Chisago Lakes at the 14A(?) a couple years ago.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

greybeard58 wrote:Bluehawk
Please post these rules you are quoting, I tried to find them in the Mn Hockey handbook and D10 Handbook maybe you can help.

The Associations at the Bantam level playing at the A level were approved by Mn Hockey not D10 and Rogers is an A enrollment school playing at the AA level in HS.

You also forgot about some FL girls playing with Chisago Lakes at the 14A(?) a couple years ago.
Sorry, I couldn't find it in the current rule book either. It was either 2 or 3 years ago. I remember I found it odd when someone mentioned it so I looked it up. I'll see if I can find an old handbook somewhere. I believe it was a D10 rule not MN Hockey.

I thought the Districts had some say in whether teams could petition down to play A. If not, my bad.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

If I remember right there have been many different Coops dating back a few years. St Francis and Cambridge/Isanti at the Peewee and I think Bantam, C/I and North Branch, and when FL and CL or FL and Andover both District Directors approved.
The past 2 years Irondale cooped with both St Francis and Coon Rapids and this year with other assns. Also North Country Blue Devils C/I and Mora and Pine City in the girls. Princeton/Becker Big Lake and also Princeton and Elk River in a couple girls levels.