RUNNING THE GOALIE

puckstopper 30

RUNNING THE GOALIE

Post by puckstopper 30 »

WITH NETS THAT COME OFF OF THEIR MOORINGS, PLAYERS ARE REALLY GOING HARD TO THE NET AND RUNNING THE GOALIES BIG TIME. THE REFS HAVE CALLED A FEW PENALTYS,BUT THEIR SHOULD BE ALOT MORE CALLS. WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE THINK? BY THE WAY ALL GOALIES ARE TOUGH,ITS TOUGH TO KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN!! <p></p><i></i>
4checker

Running the goalies

Post by 4checker »

Certainly seems to be a trend lately. Lots of hard charges to the net in almost every game so far of the tourney. Probably a result of the increased speed of all the players as much as anything. <br>Good thing the nets come off easier than ever, because some of these runs could ruin a 'tender. Anybody see Briggs narrowly escape with his life in the Gophs game last night? Woog said it, and I agree, it may have been the hardest I've ever seen a player go into the goal. He got a slight bump, but he had a purpose in mind the way it looked. Tough enough to stop the puck, now they've got to avoid the collisions <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>and</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> maintain the concentration. Not an easy job, takes a great athlete to be a good one. <p></p><i></i>
bodycheck

nets

Post by bodycheck »

Want to see a stop to running the goalie? Put the eight inch pegs in the ice like the old days. Most of the speedy forwards will suddenly think twice when faced with a possible broken leg, ribs, etc. <p></p><i></i>
oldschool

goalies

Post by oldschool »

Screw the eight inch pegs, screw the whistles and penalties, one thing will change this whole "trend": Tougher defense. When I played defense even in youth hockey, if ANYONE EVER got close to my goalie I was gaining position on them and moving them out. If anyone tried to stuff him it was a free for all no holds barred in front of the net likewise for when I played forward and stuffed some in, most of the time I was either on my butt, or in a punching match. Now if the goalie got charged and knocked over, dawg pile and by order of coach if one is in all 5 are in. The sum, if you pulled that crap, you payed, and as hard as it is to believe even with all of the equipment worn today, you CAN make a hit hurt. Bottom line is, they get sick of getting their bell rung or ending upon the ice everytiem they did it. It comes down to the fact that physical play is declining. Protecting your goalie as I have explained it sometimes will mean a coincidental and is shunned by many a coach. I will tell you though, having played goalie and knowing that he is the last man before a goal is scored, if you take care of them, they take care of you. <p></p><i></i>