Century vs. Mayo Round 3

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win, Mayo or Century?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Century
86%
Mayo
14%

Total votes: 14

mnhshockey00

Century vs. Mayo Round 3

Post by mnhshockey00 »

What are the predictions for Saturday night's game?
puckstopper

Post by puckstopper »

If at first you don't succeed, try.try again?????? The game is on the ice, not on this board.
HockeyRocks1

Post by HockeyRocks1 »

Mayo couldn't beat their mothers! Never mind the Richy Moms of Century!
gophs21

Post by gophs21 »

HockeyRocks1 wrote:Mayo couldn't beat their mothers! Never mind the Richy Moms of Century!
Nothing is for sure. Century handeled Mayo twice already. Century goes in cocky and screw up a bit Mayo could take it. Look what happend to DE against Hastings last night. No one ever thought it'd of been a 4-3 game.
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

this years teams from rochester in 1aa are not close enough talent wise to keep the rivalry game close with cetury...century wins by 4 or more
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

You never know. I would put the Panthers are a 3 goal favorite in this one based upon the first two games. However, you don't play the games on paper, on a message board, in the locker room.

Mayo needs to end their losing streak against Austin tomorrow night first. If they do that, they might get some momentum going into Saturday.
If Mayo beats Austin (again, on paper they should but you never know), they could give Century a fight - especially if Donohue is hot like he has been at times (see the Stillwater and Hibbing games).

Gophs brings up a good point. DE 4 Hastings 1; Mayo beat Hastings 2-1; DE beat Century 5-1; Mayo beat Stillwater 2-1; Stillwater tied AHA 1-1.
How in the world can anyone say what is really going to happen?
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

I hope Century's forwards start Driving the net and forechecking hard with all there size and speed they should be relentless and never stop shooting. But I hope Donohue has a great game and keeps it close and maybe Tony Sackett , Charlie Thauwald and the Matt and Tom Alexander boys and Phil Hurley and Mitch Anderson can generate some offense.

Should be a fun game as neither team should be too tight.

Just drop the puck and let her rip... Play tails off for 51 minutes and see what happens.

Century Dmen are solid and that is the biggest edge as Mayo has some decent forwards

Century has some great depth.

I have really been impressed with Joe Faupel #7 big strong steady 10th grade forward now playing with Grimstad and Knoepke always are fun to watch. I think Knutson, Madden and Briscoe can pick it up and make this team very strong... Hahn stepped up when Sparks was out sick. Anthony can play D or Forward and is great to have around. Hope he has earned some more ice time. He checked #17 for Rosemount and he could barely crawl back to the Rosemount bench last night.

All four of the top Dmen are solid agile and skilled
Brian Frischmann, Bryce Wilcox, Pat Condon and Erik Ordahl all can handle the puck shoot and make a good outlet pass.
Last edited by Sioux Fan on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting Sioux Forever
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

century no problem
SEMinnHockeyNut

Anyone going to change their opinion now that Mayo finally got a win?

I think the Panthers are still the favorites by a couple of goals, but when I see Mayo scored 6 PP goals against Austin on Thursday it does raise an eyebrow!

Now I know Century is way better than Austin. However, if the Panthers get in the box and Mayo gets their PP going, it could be interesting.
gophs21

Post by gophs21 »

SEMinnHockeyNut wrote:Anyone going to change their opinion now that Mayo finally got a win?

I think the Panthers are still the favorites by a couple of goals, but when I see Mayo scored 6 PP goals against Austin on Thursday it does raise an eyebrow!

Now I know Century is way better than Austin. However, if the Panthers get in the box and Mayo gets their PP going, it could be interesting.
I agree... their powerplay was very fun to watch last night against Austin
SEMinnHockeyNut

Gophs - you were there huh? Are you a parent? Mayo kid? Player?
What made the PP so much better than recent games?
mnhshockey00

Post by mnhshockey00 »

Century has beaten Austin 8-0 and 9-0 now. Not a big task to get PP goals on them. I dont think that game matters for the outcome tonight. Century is going to start another losing streak for the Spartans.
mnwildhcky1611

Post by mnwildhcky1611 »

yea i dont think mayos pp is anywhere near to as close to centurys PP as well century 6 Mayo 2
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

i agree austin has plenty of trouble playing 5 on 5 i cant imagine how much trouble they have playing 5 on 4
hockeyface22

Post by hockeyface22 »

century 4
mayo 4

end of 2nd period.

this is coming from my parents but mayo was up 4-0 then century came back at some point and scored 4.
HShockey2180

Post by HShockey2180 »

8-7, Century Final
-Mayo has 3-0 lead
-Century chips back, till 3-3
-Teams trade goals, one after another
-6-5 Century, Mayo pulls Donahue
-Yaggy gets a few shots, let's up two quick goals
-Mayo rallies and gets 2 goals late in the third to make it 8-7
-Century coach thrown out of the game

8-7 Final

Game looked very even, besides all of the mistakes Mayo made in their defensive zone. Gave absolutely no help to Donahue.
hackey

Post by hackey »

Just to clarify, Century's assistant coach, Josh Klingfus, was thrown out of the game. Century D Bryce Wilcox was injured in the third period, and Klingfus apparently felt like a Mayo player tried to injure Wilcox intentionally.

As was stated above, Mayo's D again gave Donohue no help. Century was scoring back-door, charging down the slot, going end-to-end ... you name it. Donohue didn't know where the next blue jersey was coming from.

On the positive side for Mayo, they're finally scoring some goals. Coach Grosso mixed up his lines against Austin on Thursday night and has shuffled some guys between forward and defense.

Joe Faupel had a hat trick and two assists for Century. Justin Phelps, Bryan Frischmann, Bryce Wilcox, Garrett Grimstad and Pat Condon also scored for the Panthers.

Mayo got two goals from Charlie Thauwald. Other Spartans who scored: Tony Sackett, Matt Alexander, Tom Alexander, Brad Fisher (first varsity goal) and Mitch Anderson (first varsity goal).
SEMinnHockeyNut

Century 8 Mayo 7!

Yes, 15 goals! Wow. Shots were about 35-40 for Century to 25 for Mayo.
Spartans led 1-0 after the first period. Mayo built a 3-0 lead, but Century scored 3 straight to tie. It was 4-4 after two periods. Thauwald scored early in the 3rd, but then Century scored four straight goals to make it 8-5....Mayo scored two late to get it close again.
Both goalies struggles tonight...Donohue got pulled after the 6th goal...Yaggy the sophmore gave up one softy, but made some nice saves.
Faupel lead Century w/ the hat trick and two assists. He is a player!
Matt Alexander looked great for Mayo...1 G 3 A.

Century continues to impress...never got rattled...they skate skate skate.
They have a ton of skilled guys and play as a team. Goaltending is their only issue- their Achilles heal!

FROM GOLDY:[i]If Albert Lea and Faribault were still in 1AA they'd be the 2 and 3 seeds in the section as their both good teams and markedly better than JM or Mayo. [/i]

I am not sure after seeing Mayo's score from Thursday and the way they played tonight. There is no way JM would have beat Mayo the other game had the Spartans played like they did tonight. They skated hard, played the body and never quit.

I also went to the AL-JM game. JM played poorly and took too many dumb penalties. Wiesner look like he was in slow motion which does not bode well for them.
Albert Lea is solid...two very good lines. Walton is a heck of a player - nifty and quick..not as good as Jon Breuer - which they had a couple of years ago - but he is good. Adam Royce is impressive and they run a tight and effective PP.

Thursday Mayo vs. Albert Lea will tell a lot about how the rest of the Big Nine race goes.

On the Mayo D and Donohue's play. I agree that Mayo's D hangs him out to dry alot...they don't play heads up and/or lack skill (especially speed).
However, the 5th goal went D to D on the point and Donohue was slow getting to the other side and was back in his net.
The 6th goal Friedlie was walked by Wilcox pretty bad but Kevin was off his pipe and gave that goal away. It was not his best performance..nor was the 7-1 game. However, he did give Mayo the 1-0 lead w/ solid play in the first period.
mnwildhcky1611

Post by mnwildhcky1611 »

That was a great game last night i got to give credit to mayo for coming out and hard and finishing strong but noone likes their cheap crap like what sackett did to wilcox was intentional and mayo does that cause they cant beat century come section time if century plays mayo i would predict another kiwanis championship game century scores about 6 or 7 and mayo scores about 1 or 2
HShockey2180

Post by HShockey2180 »

Did anyone get a good look at that controversial goal? I was at the other end of the ice and just saw it hit the post, although the ref looked very certain it was in, and didn't hesitate to call it a goal.
SEMinnHockeyNut

mnwildhockey - are you talking about Wilcox's injury last night? That was Matt Alexander...he went to shoot and Wilcox went down to block it and it looked like Wilcox took a stick to the throat area...not sure if he tried to do it or not but the goal by Fisher was right after it. So was Klingfus mad that the whistle did not blow or that it was intentional?

HSHockey - I did not have a clean look at the constorversial goal by Mayo. It sounded 'funny' like it was not just cleanly pipe came right out but the ref was very quick to call it a goal.
mnhshockey00

Post by mnhshockey00 »

How come its never Donahues fault? People talk about this kid as if he is some phenom
mnhshockey00

Post by mnhshockey00 »

The only way Mayo can keep it close is if they get Century to play down to there level. Thats where players like Tony Sacket come in handy
gophs21

Post by gophs21 »

mnhshockey00 wrote:How come its never Donahues fault? People talk about this kid as if he is some phenom
If it weren't for Donaghue they'd be lucky to be near .500
HShockey2180

Post by HShockey2180 »

Against the better teams in Section 1AA Mayo's goaltender will see around 30 -40 shots a game. Donahue usually gets beat backdoor, when there is a defender sitting there wide open. Donahue had a much lower GAA last year, when they had solid veteran Defenders to help him out.