1AA Finals Lakeville North vs Roch. Century

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

century
73%
lakeville north
27%

Total votes: 41

minnesotahockey1

Post by minnesotahockey1 »

I pray to God that LKVL NORTH doesnt make it to state. There are so many better teams in the state that deserve it more and just because they have such a crappy section means they go to state.
outdoorshcky17

Post by outdoorshcky17 »

Century 5
North 2
jiffylube131

f

Post by jiffylube131 »

why would century blow lakeville out. they won by 1 in a comeback win in a game that meant nothing to lakeville and centurys goalie is not hot... he looked horrible against mayo and would have got lit up if they had a decent opprotunity

North 3
Century 2
undhockey

Post by undhockey »

i hope cintury wins, im sick of seeingg lakeville north in state, when i personally dont believe they should be

who does the winner play?? what section?
BirthplaceofPuck

winner

Post by BirthplaceofPuck »

the winner will more than likely be one of the bottom four seeds in the state tourny... so they will be randomly paired with one of the top four seeds. As for the "USHLers" i haven't seen one play a game for a USHL team so to call themegula that is false... Grimstead will be the only one playing a game for a team this year. Just because you are drafted (futures, or the main draft) does not automatically mean you are on the team.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Kvasnicka is the best player on the ice but he's going to the U on a baseball scholarship so this could be his last game. You can mention all the USHL draftees you want but that list won't include the best athlete out there.

Last time around North's top line really bottled up Centruy's top line with their forcheck. Century's defense can't skate with the puck well enough to break a good forcheck so they ended up being bottled up much of the night. Century has last change again and in the last game Century's third line of Sparks, Phelps, and Collins played very well against North's top line. Century has the last change and I expect that will be the matchup Century wants.

North's top line is better than Century's top line, but Century has 3 lines while North skated only 2 in their win against a mediocre JM team. I doubt North will be able to keep up with Century's pace through 3 periods. However if North gets the lead midway through the 3rd the collar around Century's neck will get very tight. If the game is slowed by bad ice that will be a huge advantage for North, 20-25 minute intermissions will give them a good rest.

Century didn't look particulary impressive against Dodge Cty or Mayo but I don't think North is significantly better than either of those teams. Century 4 North 3.
BirthplaceofPuck

goldy

Post by BirthplaceofPuck »

i and i think most will disagree... there is no way that LV norths line is better than Kneopke Grimstead line.. no way
AO8-07

kvasnicka?

Post by AO8-07 »

goldy313- you really think that kvasnicka is better than grimstad and kneopke? on what basis? I don't think he has any offers anywhere? he's a good player, but the other two are headed for the USHL.
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

Goldy,

u r nuts..

I am sure that line match ups will favor Century. All the Century D can carry the puck. I hope the coaches let em loose.
Fighting Sioux Forever
mngophs19

Post by mngophs19 »

Goldy kvasnicka is not better than grimstad and knoepke. He is a good player but not as good as them. He has a nice shot and likes to take the body. He does not back check and is not a play maker. Knoepke and Grimstad are faster than him, better transitional players, play makers, and they have improved their back checking since last year and continue to improve. The top line at century is better than lakeville's and it is going to show tomorrow.
xcelcenterorbust08

Post by xcelcenterorbust08 »

birthplaceofpuck-id be interested in hearing your reasoning for thinking century's first line is better than lkvl north's. and i dont want to hear a comparason of points either becuase if you gave lkvl north century's schedule they would be a lot closer to 20-5 than 7-16-2
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Last game Century's top line accounted for 4 pts including at least 2 phantom assissts, Lakevilles top line accounted for 6 pts. Century's top line couldn't break out against Lakevilles top line. Century's top line has done squat against the likes of Duluth Marshall, Edina, Duluth East, Tartan, and Roseville; a combined 3 points. They're good players but they put up big numbers against bad teams. By contrast Lakevilles top line has put up 17 points against the top teams they've played - Eden Prairie, Burnsville, Grand Rapids, Hibbing, and Century.

It doesn't mean Lakeville is the better team, I think Century will win because they have 2 good scoring lines and 3 lines that play very well. Lakeville can't match that depth.
dirtyhock1515

Post by dirtyhock1515 »

i agree that if lkvl had played the century schedule they would have a better record but when it comes down to century vs. lkvl, century has more depth and more skill than lkvl by far
dirtyhock1515

Post by dirtyhock1515 »

ok maybe not "by far" but still.. more
xcelcenterorbust08

century may be more talented all the way through but lakeville has gotten some good play lately out of kids who didnt produce alot of goals earlier in the season. #16 had 2 goals against farmington, #3 had numerous scoring chances against farmington and a sort of "half breakaway" against JM. also it seems that Arentz (goalie) for lkvl has seemed to figure everything out and has played very well, at least alot better than centurys goalie where every shot is a scoring chance

century has had more talent and depth than lakeville in other years yet lakeville has won the section in 02, 03, 04, 06.....07?

lakeville-4, century-3 OT
century left stunned again
crash

Post by crash »

The last time Century touted up a group of players like this was the Peterson, Holland, Wilcox line with Kangas in net. All of them were "USHL Players"

Only Kangas went USHL.
dirtyhock1515

Post by dirtyhock1515 »

i donno i still think century is gonna pull this one off. They have been playing decent as well especially on the defensive end and they will be looking to shut down lkvl after they get up
jiffylube131

Post by jiffylube131 »

i think we can agree to disagree about whos first line is better but i think it will come down to which goalie is on and whos 2nd line can take some of the load off. I know lakevilles 2nd line has the ability to create some good scoring chances as does centurys. This will surely be another instant classic
SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

Peterson, Holland, Wilcox

That line pales in comparison to Grimstad, Knoepke and Faupel.
I have not seen Lakeville North enough to say one way or another which line is better. The bottom line is that it is a team game.
Century's D is under-rated and some of them can really move, pass, and they all play the man well - not bonecrunching hits, but just smart angling, stick checks, taking the man out.

If Century gets bottled up by the top line, they should do what they always do, play the lines, use the glass, flip it out, and ice the puck,
My guess is that some of Century's speedy guys get breaks off the garbage (yet at times very wise) breakout methods.

Goaltending will be the key. If the Lakeville kid doesn't white knuckle, it will be a game. If he is shaky, I would say Century scores at least 5 goals. Don't forget that this Lakeville team gave up 30+ shots to a very average JM team. My guess is that Century gets 40+ for the game if they play well.
GopherNation

Post by GopherNation »

You can blabber about the individual players but what seems to win in this section rivalry is who comes out and leaves it all on the ice, There has been thrillers in the past and i am positive North plays it all the way through. Since the first game against Chaska they have turned there season around. They play teams tough all the way through. I havent seen century play much but it seems every tough team they played they lost. granted i admit they have talent. But can they win the big game? Strong goalie play, determination and capitalizing on the power play wins it for north.
North 4
Century 3
mnhshockey00

Post by mnhshockey00 »

Lakeville didnt have a hard schedule either. The lake sucked this year and all the tough teams century lost to would have blown out any lake team. Besides the first and third shift of the game where lakeville scored century dominted lakeville up and down the ice. Centurys goalie has played awesome all sections.
mnhockfn2000

Post by mnhockfn2000 »

SEMinnHockeyNut:
Don't forget that this Lakeville team gave up 30+ shots to a very average JM team. My guess is that Century gets 40+ for the game if they play well.

The shot count during Lkvl north and JM was pretty much a joke.
After the first- LV 14, JM 8 (about 5 of those were phantom)
After the second- LV 17, JM 16 ( 5 more phantom shots)
After the third it ended up pretty much even around 30+

I would say that LV had around 35, and the real JM shot count was around 18,19,20.

Also, Kvasnicka is a D1 Baseball player, in college Baseball and Hockey overlap. I am sure that all of the colleges out there know that they can not compete with his full ride for baseball, so that's why there have been no offers. He could compete in Juniors, or maybe even play some D-1 somewhere for hockey if he really put all of his effort into it. But, baseball is his sport.

North- 3
Century 2
jiffylube131

Post by jiffylube131 »

the lake did not suck.. the big 9 sucked! it always does. sure century lost to teams that were very good but who did they beat other than north(which isnt impressive) to impress anyone. The lake is always good just because there was competition for the lead this year doesnt mean it was down.
xcelcenterorbust08

i agree, the lake did not suck by any means...people seem to think that because it has no powerhouse teams that its down this year...the lake was so competitive this year that everyone beat each other...even lakeville north at the bottom beat eagan, EP, and lost to EV in OT....every team in the lake with the exception to maybe kennedy wouldnt have lost a game in the big 9 if they took century's spot
wildfan529

Post by wildfan529 »

whoever has been saying that centurys goalie has been great all sections, you are wrong because he has looked shaky and unconfident on routine saves. For century to stay in it their goalie has to come to play, if not i think north will pull it out because the freshman will have a big game in the nets