Who can beat Roseau?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Which of these teams has the best chance to beat Roseau?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:00 pm

Bemidji
3%
Moorhead
11%
Crookston
No votes
St. Cloud Tech
1%
Warroad
6%
Brainerd
11%
Thief River Falls
3%
Blaine
15%
International Falls
22%
Grand Rapids
28%

Total votes: 72

61ache

Post by 61ache »

One thing I haven't been able to wrap my mind around is Mike Lee's HS career. How can you play this long as a High School goal tender and never be defeated? Is it possible to keep the streak alive through out the rest of the season? Would be truly incredible if he could. Going back to last year he has to be getting close to 25-30 wins without a single loss ever(not sure on the exact number)!
RoseauHockeyFan

Post by RoseauHockeyFan »

61ache wrote:One thing I haven't been able to wrap my mind around is Mike Lee's HS career. How can you play this long as a High School goal tender and never be defeated? Is it possible to keep the streak alive through out the rest of the season? Would be truly incredible if he could. Going back to last year he has to be getting close to 25-30 wins without a single loss ever(not sure on the exact number)!
Mike Lee was 12-0 last season, and he's currently 15-0 this season for a two season record of 27-0.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I believe Mike Lee had six shutouts last season, and he now has five shutouts this season. I would say eleven shutouts in twenty-seven games is pretty good.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
61ache wrote:One thing I haven't been able to wrap my mind around is Mike Lee's HS career. How can you play this long as a High School goal tender and never be defeated? Is it possible to keep the streak alive through out the rest of the season? Would be truly incredible if he could. Going back to last year he has to be getting close to 25-30 wins without a single loss ever(not sure on the exact number)!
Mike Lee was 12-0 last season, and he's currently 15-0 this season for a two season record of 27-0.
Mike is only 14-0 this season. The team is 15-0.
Friends don't let friends play basketball.
RoseauHockeyFan

rams1989 wrote:
RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
Mike is only 14-0 this season. The team is 15-0.
Thanks for the clarification Rams1989. I forgot Levi Nelson was in net for one game.
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

GR3343 wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote:Just about any good team can get lucky and ride a hot goaltender but if I were a betting man, I'd say Edina, Minnetonka, Hill-Murray and maybe a handful of other teams could match the Roseau Rams.
Agreed. I would venture an opinion, and mind you, it's only an opinion, that this team is not a top ten all time in the history of Minnesota High School Hockey. They are a very good team, but not one of the best ever. Undefeated or not. The competition they're up against (i.e. schedule) doesn't lend weight to the greatest of all time. There's been Roseau teams that have lost games that would bury this year's version. While once again, they are a very good team, they are not great.
GR3343, I rarely agree with you, (You seem to have a chip on your shoulder and a grudge against Roseau Hockey for some reason...jealous maybe? Whatever it is, grow up and get over it. Northern teams have enough to worry about with the city teams; no need to beat each other up.) but I kinda agree with you in this post...

The Rams are a good team. Time will tell whether they are a great team. They need to work on a few things, if they are going to retain the crown. The '99 Rams would probably beat this team.

Going undefeated during the season is nice, but not of much value, if the team loses in the tournaments. There are a few teams on the schedule that could beat the Rams, but in order for them to be ready to defend the title, they'll need to log some serious time against the Roseau old-timers. If they can beat Billy's old-timers, they should be ready. And, a season-end scrimmage against Red River wouldn't hurt either.
tourneytickssince59

Re: End of the Season Challenges

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:By the looks of the voting, it appears that the general consensus is that Roseau's last three games will be their biggest challenges. I personally agree with the poll results that Grand Rapids is the toughest opponent left on the Ram's schedule. They've played some really good teams in tight contests including a close 3-2 loss to Edina.

I wouldn't put Moorhead lower because of how things went in TRF. Moorhead seemed to have greatly outplayed them but ran into a very hot goalie. I also agree with you cesar_maniago that it's hard to beat the same team three times in a year, and I got the feeling that Moorhead is hungry to avenge last year's loss in the section final. They are currently fourth in the poll, but I think that's a result of the 7-2 win the Ram's had over them earlier this season.

Obviously it is very difficult to go undefeated for an entire season in the game of high school hockey. There are so many factors that can lead to a win or a loss. Here's little history for you all. The last high school hockey team to go undefeated was Hermantown (28-0-2) in 2007 from Section 7A but they had the two ties. The last team from a AA school which is Roseau's division to go undefeated was Bloom. Jefferson (27-0) in 1993. That means it's been 15 years since it was last accomplished!

Here's a list of undefeated teams since 1957 and the year they did it. I got this from the minnhock.com site by the way.
1. Bloom. Jefferson (27-0) 1993
2. Hill-Murray (27-0) 1983
3. Edina East (23-0) 1974
4. Mpls. Southwest (19-0-2) 1970
5. International Falls (22-0) 1965 & 1966
6. St Paul Johnson (20-0) 1963
7. Roseau (27-0) 1959

Only 7 teams have gone undefeated for the entire season in the last 50 years of MN high school hockey. Maybe history is due another undefeated team. Are the Ram's that team? Only time will tell, but no matter what happens - I will stay a loyal fan of the green and white! :wink:
HM 28-0 in 1983
hockeyfan43

Post by hockeyfan43 »

edina
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Well were coming down to the wire, does Roseau have enough left in the tank to finish it off?
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Neutron 14 wrote:Well were coming down to the wire, does Roseau have enough left in the tank to finish it off?
Will it be this?

Or This..?

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

20 pollsters have picked Rapids. I didn't know we had that many Rapidians!
Can't Never Tried

Neutron 14 wrote:20 pollsters have picked Rapids. !
That's because there is a lot more of them on the bored, I still thinks it's gonna be the Bengals!
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:20 pollsters have picked Rapids. !
That's because there is a lot more of them on the bored, I still thinks it's gonna be the Bengals!
Is it Rapidians or Rapidiots?
Can't Never Tried

snapdog

Post by snapdog »

None of these teams listed will beat Roseau. I believe Edina has the best shot if the two teams make state which I believe thjey will. Edina is huge, fast and strong. It would make for a great game in my opinion.
Do I have to shadow Pavelich again coach?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

They'll need Siberian Tigers for Baudette!
Can't Never Tried

Neutron 14 wrote:They'll need Siberian Tigers for Baudette!
That's a Tech Tiger though!
DmanDad1980

Re: End of the Season Challenges

Post by DmanDad1980 »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
Here's a list of undefeated teams since 1957 and the year they did it. I got this from the minnhock.com site by the way.
7. Roseau (27-0) 1959

Only 7 teams have gone undefeated for the entire season in the last 50 years of MN high school hockey. Maybe history is due another undefeated team. Are the Ram's that team? Only time will tell, but no matter what happens - I will stay a loyal fan of the green and white! :wink:
1.a. Roseau (27-0) 2008
7. Roseau (27-0) 1959

Looks like a nice Ram sandwich! 8)
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Tech has no shot, Roseau has Aaron Ness!
Can't Never Tried

Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Tech has no shot, Roseau has Aaron Ness!
It's just not fair........

RoseauHockeyFan

Well, now that Roseau's past Blaine - it looks like 51% of you who took this poll three weeks ago were wrong. Here's to hoping that the other 49% of you who bet on either IFalls or Rapids are also wrong. :D
bigwheelXXX

What about the Hornets?

Post by bigwheelXXX »

Edina has the best shot. They're pretty heavy up front. The size and skill of their forwards might be the answer to Ness. We'll see. Roseau is still pretty good and does a great job of limiting shots at all. Who knows though, they've had an answer for all so far, in all situations.
RidingPine32

Post by RidingPine32 »

I think I. Falls should get more consideration. They've beaten everyone on their schedule with only 2 losses to very good teams. They play the game in a way that doesn't create a lot of fanfare from outside of the Falls, but it has been effective. They've been getting alot of support from the two lines other than Youso's. Why not give the Falls a little more consideration? If nothing alse, I'm willing to bet it will worth more than the price of admission to watch this game and worth the prognostication that should accompany such a game.
61ache

Post by 61ache »

RidingPine32 wrote:I think I. Falls should get more consideration. They've beaten everyone on their schedule with only 2 losses to very good teams. They play the game in a way that doesn't create a lot of fanfare from outside of the Falls, but it has been effective. They've been getting alot of support from the two lines other than Youso's. Why not give the Falls a little more consideration? If nothing alse, I'm willing to bet it will worth more than the price of admission to watch this game and worth the prognostication that should accompany such a game.
Agreed. I Falls is going to be a gut check for both teams. Wish I could see it.
irishfan08

Post by irishfan08 »

61ache wrote:
RidingPine32 wrote:I think I. Falls should get more consideration. They've beaten everyone on their schedule with only 2 losses to very good teams. They play the game in a way that doesn't create a lot of fanfare from outside of the Falls, but it has been effective. They've been getting alot of support from the two lines other than Youso's. Why not give the Falls a little more consideration? If nothing alse, I'm willing to bet it will worth more than the price of admission to watch this game and worth the prognostication that should accompany such a game.
Agreed. I Falls is going to be a gut check for both teams. Wish I could see it.
youso is either gonna win this game for his team or ness will contain him and they will whoop International falls...
What Can Brown do for You?