Select 16 National Team

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gerryodrowski

Gardiner

Post by gerryodrowski »

Is this kid the real deal?
gopherfan13

Re: Gardiner

Post by gopherfan13 »

gerryodrowski wrote:Is this kid the real deal?
What kid?
gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski »

Max Gardiner.....real deal or no deal?
gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 »

gerryodrowski wrote:Max Gardiner.....real deal or no deal?
I think they are expecting him to live up to his brother and so far it's not working. Don't get me wrong i think he is a very solid player.. but He is not his brother.
gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski »

gopherfan13 wrote:
gerryodrowski wrote:Max Gardiner.....real deal or no deal?
I think they are expecting him to live up to his brother and so far it's not working. Don't get me wrong i think he is a very solid player.. but He is not his brother.
I agree.....solid player but Select 15 National camp, Select 16 National camp, NTDP tryout, University of Wisconsin?
justafan2

Post by justafan2 »

I agree...maybe ridin' the coat tails of his brother a bit. Looks a little unsteady on his skates. Good player--aggressive, in the play, but not sure if he's THAT good IMO
gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 »

justafan2 wrote:I agree...maybe ridin' the coat tails of his brother a bit. Looks a little unsteady on his skates. Good player--aggressive, in the play, but not sure if he's THAT good IMO
Agreed.
RushnCircles

Post by RushnCircles »

geez you guys, take the brother out of the equation and gardiner's credentials speak for themselves.
oldbarn7

Post by oldbarn7 »

Hey just keep it fresh in your minds that it took Jake until about half way through his junior year to come into his own as a player. Max will be a junior this season and maybe he will hit full stride and we will see what he's really capable of.
gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski »

oldbarn7 wrote:Hey just keep it fresh in your minds that it took Jake until about half way through his junior year to come into his own as a player. Max will be a junior this season and maybe he will hit full stride and we will see what he's really capable of.
So, all of this is a big hedge bet based upon big bro's junior season quantum leap? Maybe I'm missing something. Again, I think he's a fine player but his stock seems inordinately high. What's up?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

gerryodrowski wrote:
oldbarn7 wrote:Hey just keep it fresh in your minds that it took Jake until about half way through his junior year to come into his own as a player. Max will be a junior this season and maybe he will hit full stride and we will see what he's really capable of.
So, all of this is a big hedge bet based upon big bro's junior season quantum leap? Maybe I'm missing something. Again, I think he's a fine player but his stock seems inordinately high. What's up?
GerryO,
Seems like you have a chip on you're shoulder when it comes to Max. If he wasn't good enough I don't think he would be selected for the USA teams. Jake and Max are completely different players. Jake is a tremendous skater and extremely light on his skates. Very few players can move like him. Max is a 6'3'' player that is still growing and his play goes up in down because of his growth spurts. As he gets older and developes more strength to move a big body his play will become more consistent. It helps to have a high profile brother, but the scouts and college coaches evaluate the player on his own merit. With all young players you cannot predict 4-5 yrs. down the road. But with his size and skills many people are excited about his future.
gerryodrowski

Post by gerryodrowski »

mulefarm, no problem at all with the kid. I just posed a fair and reasonable question about his credentials. Looks to me like a lot of upside betting on a pretty good player. Just wanted to know if others see more than I do. Doesn't sound like it.
rbk2090

Post by rbk2090 »

mulefarm wrote:
gerryodrowski wrote:
GerryO,
Seems like you have a chip on you're shoulder when it comes to Max. If he wasn't good enough I don't think he would be selected for the USA teams. Jake and Max are completely different players. Jake is a tremendous skater and extremely light on his skates. Very few players can move like him. Max is a 6'3'' player that is still growing and his play goes up in down because of his growth spurts. As he gets older and developes more strength to move a big body his play will become more consistent. It helps to have a high profile brother, but the scouts and college coaches evaluate the player on his own merit. With all young players you cannot predict 4-5 yrs. down the road. But with his size and skills many people are excited about his future.
Now the propaganda is starting for this kid....... Mulefarm get a life of your own. I have read all your quotes and they make me sick. You are either a stalker or a family member. What is it?Lets get back to what really matters. EDINA STATE CHAMPIONS 2009!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Rkd2090,
Thank you for reading all my posts. It's encouraging to know that such a great hockey mind like yours has the time. Must not have to much going for yourself.
redwings2stanley2

Post by redwings2stanley2 »

The Exiled One wrote:I would have lost a few bets!!

Beside the NTDP invitees that I thought would surely be included, I'm also surprised by the omissions of Benik, Worzala, and Koopmeiners.
I thought that Worzala didnt look very good from what i saw of him at the first tourny.
oldbarn7

Post by oldbarn7 »

Gerry-

The thing about Max is that RIGHT NOW (and why he was picked for a tryout for the NTDP) he has a lot of natural abilities but he is very raw. Also, this year he grew so much more than the last time I'd seen him play in bantams and growing that much in a couple year span is a lot for your body to handle. Max is looked at right now as a potential-type player. He's tall, lanky and has skills, give him time and 2 summers to gain weight and polish his skills and his senior year he could be one of the best players in the state.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

oldbarn7 wrote:Gerry-

The thing about Max is that RIGHT NOW (and why he was picked for a tryout for the NTDP) he has a lot of natural abilities but he is very raw. Also, this year he grew so much more than the last time I'd seen him play in bantams and growing that much in a couple year span is a lot for your body to handle. Max is looked at right now as a potential-type player. He's tall, lanky and has skills, give him time and 2 summers to gain weight and polish his skills and his senior year he could be one of the best players in the state.
Don't know the kid but..and I'm not picking on you OB7
Players should be selected this year for their current abilities, and not potential abilities, because all this... " well, he grew a bunch" and "will catch up" stuff doesn't hold much water for me, a lot of players could say that! Take the players that prove themselves in the process, and leave all the those that maybe could have or just might players and let them prove it today! :wink:
Pucknutz69

Post by Pucknutz69 »

oldbarn7 wrote:Gerry-

I wonder if he will still be bragging about his brother on the ice in a couple more years? He told a kid during Gopher State that he sucks and his brother would kill him, after the other kid checked him a few times. I thought it was kind of funny.
oldbarn7

Post by oldbarn7 »

Can't Never Tried

That wasn't my point. I completely agree that they should be selected in the here and now not for what they will be I was just responding to someone asking about him. He got the invite because USA Hockey is thinking about investing in him for 2 years. Yes he had an OK tryout and he was a bubble kid based on this weekend alone IMO.

Pucknutz

I agree that is hilarious.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

oldbarn7 wrote:Can't Never Tried

That wasn't my point. I completely agree that they should be selected in the here and now not for what they will be I was just responding to someone asking about him. He got the invite because USA Hockey is thinking about investing in him for 2 years. Yes he had an OK tryout and he was a bubble kid based on this weekend alone IMO.

Pucknutz

No problem, that's why I said I wasn't picking on you! I just highlighted a lot of those points that I keep hearing over and over, from others on a lot of these threads. :wink:
gopherfan13

Post by gopherfan13 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
oldbarn7 wrote:Can't Never Tried

Pucknutz

No problem, that's why I said I wasn't picking on you! I just highlighted a lot of those points that I keep hearing over and over, from others on a lot of these threads. :wink:
Any news on any other players that should not have made it?
Penalty Shot

Max Gardiner

Post by Penalty Shot »

Max Gardiner deserves to be on that list now and will deserve to be on it next year if he doesnt get hurt. He was on MTk's powere play and probably was one of their top 6 forwards as a sophmore. Minnetonka was one of the premeir teams in the state last year along side Hill Murry, Benilde, Roseau and Edina. He played regulerly on that team and CONTRIBUTED. Take a look at the list and you will find some kids who might not even have played that much varsity for inferior teams. I hate kid bashing in public especially when it usually comes from jealousy. In addition if you dont think USA hockey looks at players potential and has a say in making sure these kids get looked at in high level competion you are wrong.
rbk2090

Post by rbk2090 »

mulefarm wrote:Rkd2090,
Thank you for reading all my posts. It's encouraging to know that such a great hockey mind like yours has the time. Must not have to much going for yourself.
Your are very very welcome Mr. Gardiner.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

rbk2090 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Rkd2090,
Your are very very welcome Mr. Gardiner.
I wish I was Mr. Gardiner. You better get back to work, Budish and Everson need their water bottles filled.
gerryodrowski

Re: Max Gardiner

Post by gerryodrowski »

Penalty Shot wrote:Max Gardiner deserves to be on that list now and will deserve to be on it next year if he doesnt get hurt. He was on MTk's powere play and probably was one of their top 6 forwards as a sophmore. Minnetonka was one of the premeir teams in the state last year along side Hill Murry, Benilde, Roseau and Edina. He played regulerly on that team and CONTRIBUTED. Take a look at the list and you will find some kids who might not even have played that much varsity for inferior teams. I hate kid bashing in public especially when it usually comes from jealousy. In addition if you dont think USA hockey looks at players potential and has a say in making sure these kids get looked at in high level competion you are wrong.
Tell me where you think that someone is "bashing" the kid on this thread. Jealousy....what are you talking about? Take a breath and read the posts again. Cripes!