Section 1A 2008-09

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 1A

Albert Lea
29%
Austin
7%
Faribault
14%
Northfield
23%
Red Wing
23%
Waseca
4%

Total votes: 56

SEhockeyDAD

AL v. Faribault

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

hockeygroupie wrote:Albert Lea-Faribault Tuesday-Dec. 16 @ Faribault
Anyone have any favorites here?
I'd guess AL over Faribault. AL's first line is more dangerous more often than Faribault's first line, IMO anyway.
what'smyname

Post by what'smyname »

I give the game to Faribault. The game I saw Austin vs. Albert Lea, Austin did not give 100% in. Albert Lea may have a strong first line, but Faribault will win tonight, as much as I hate to say it.
the green machine
Location: The Think Tank that has found peace, love and happines.

Post by the green machine »

Congrats to Albert Lea the other night. It has been quite a drought for the Tigers against the packers. I think they had lost 5-6 in row until Saturday. Of course Faribault had done the same. It is nice to beat Austin again. I have enjoyed the quiet Albert Lea faithful this year. Lessons learned?

Tonight Faribault by 2.

Go Falcons.
hockeygroupie

Re: AL v. Faribault

Post by hockeygroupie »

SEhockeyDAD wrote:
I'd guess AL over Faribault. AL's first line is more dangerous more often than Faribault's first line, IMO anyway.
Falcon89...where r u?....we need your insight on this one.

my pick Faribault 5
Albert Lea 2

Just heard that the Faribault goalie has been out sick for 3 days....maybe I should change my pick.
hockeygroupie

Re: AL v. Faribault

Post by hockeygroupie »

SEhockeyDAD wrote:
Snowy Final Score:
Albert lea 2
Faribault 5

Guess Faribaults 2 lines over-powered Albert Lea. Nice to see both lines scoring for the Falcons. Salmonsen-2, Bergland-1, Knack-1, Johnson-1
Endurance

Post by Endurance »

AL couldn't pull off 3 periods of hockey tonight, even though the score shows falcons came out with a W AL still has much more talent. Faribo had some decent players, but I maybe wasn't seeing tonight what most of you are convinced faribo has.
Great Job to both Teams!!!
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

Endurance wrote:AL couldn't pull off 3 periods of hockey tonight, even though the score shows falcons came out with a W AL still has much more talent. Faribo had some decent players, but I maybe wasn't seeing tonight what most of you are convinced faribo has.
Great Job to both Teams!!!
I'm not totally convinced either but hearing that the goalie has had the stomach flu for the past 3 days and actually lost 8 lbs per a fan she played as well as could be expected. Faribault lacks D that can play 3 periods. And when Bergland is on she can put 3 easily in the net. When both her and Salmonsen are on is when a team needs to look out. Yet so far this year that has not happened. Salmonsen makes some good passes and sees the ice well, while Bergland likes to take the puck herself then it gets knocked off her stick. If she passes more instead of trying to do it all, this team could dominate the sections.
Johnson has been playing well and scoring on the 2nd line. The better defensemen IMO is the 9th grader, just give her a few more games and she will continue to improve to help their D.
These are just my IMO's. I am sure others have theirs too!

Albert lea has some good players also and had plenty of chances last night and Faribault almost let them take the game away from them. 21, 12, 15, 16 are good players.

IMO both teams came out wanting to win and most of all the game was played Fair, players worked hard, refs called the game decent both ways.
Congrats to both teams! I am sure when the Falcons go down South it may be a different outcome.
the green machine

hockeygroupie wrote: I am sure when the Falcons go down South it may be a different outcome.
Not likely. The better team won last night. Albert Lea put forward a great effort, but it was not enough. As of now the seciton stacks up as
1. Northfield
2. Faribault/ Redwing (This will be decided by the later sesaon game)
4. Albert Lea
5. Austin
6. Waseca

That seeding looks very familiar. :shock: I guess I am the ultimate girl's high school hockey guru!!!! :D

Hockey groupie, nice prediction in last night's game. That Faribault education is a powerful thing. :D
taking names

Post by taking names »

Good education? HA! what a joke.
I do have to say if Austin keeps playing the way that they have been then they will tie with waseca. They can do so much better. They showed that they can skate with the best.
ALL-STAR ROOKIE

Post by ALL-STAR ROOKIE »

ALL-STAR ROOKIE wrote:RSI,

What happened to him?

The " Lady Tigers" won a game and he must of went on vacation. :lol:

Has anyone seen RSI lately? He has sure been quite about them " Lady Tigers. " :shock:
KatoDad

Austin

Post by KatoDad »

They are a much better team than this poll shows, credit where credit is do!
taking names

Post by taking names »

Nice game last night packers. Finally the packers stepped it up. They just showed us that they can be a good team. Nice job again! =D>
Endurance

Post by Endurance »

[quote="taking names"]Nice game last night packers. Finally the packers stepped it up. They just showed us that they can be a good team. Nice job again! =D>[/quote]

MSHSL shows they played west and lost??
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

Endurance wrote:
taking names wrote:Nice game last night packers. Finally the packers stepped it up. They just showed us that they can be a good team. Nice job again! =D>

MSHSL shows they played west and lost??
Mankato W. 3
Austin 2
taking names

Post by taking names »

I am well aware that Austin lost 3 to 2. What I am saying is they actually played well. A lot better then what their last games were. Losing to faribo and al. They played a whole lot better.
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

the green machine wrote:
hockeygroupie wrote: I am sure when the Falcons go down South it may be a different outcome.
Not likely. The better team won last night. Albert Lea put forward a great effort, but it was not enough. As of now the seciton stacks up as
1. Northfield
2. Faribault/ Redwing (This will be decided by the later sesaon game)
4. Albert Lea
5. Austin
6. Waseca

That seeding looks very familiar. :shock: I guess I am the ultimate girl's high school hockey guru!!!! :D

Hockey groupie, nice prediction in last night's game. That Faribault education is a powerful thing. :D
Predictions for Red Wing-Faribault game. I believe they play Monday or Tuesday of break.

Also, what are some other matchups for Sect 1A for break.

My prediction:
Faribault 3
Redwing 2

Faribault will have to stop Rose and also Redwing goalie is good. Falcons will have to play like a team. They are too good to take the puck to the net by oneself. Passing will be the ticket in this game.
TheSouthSide

Post by TheSouthSide »

Very good game in Red Wing tonight. Red Wing pulls out a hard fought game against Faribault today 4-3 in overtime. Red Wing was without their starting goalie because of throat surgery and Alleva was sick with the flu, but didn't stop her from having a terrific game. Shots were 26-23 in favor of Red Wing. Faribault's top line is very fast and skilled, but truthfully it looked like Red Wing had a little more depth and eventually it showed.

Big game for section seedings and possibly set up a big rematch come tourney time.
the green machine

It was a good game last night. The top 3 are really close. Rose is a fun player to watch. The current standings are as follows:

1. Northfield
2. Redwing
3. FARIBAULT
4. Albert Lea
5. Austin
6. Waseca

LOOKS VERY FAMILIAR TO SOME EXPERT'S PICKS!!!
Hint, it was not RSI. :shock:
tigerpower

Post by tigerpower »

HELLLLOOOOO HOCKEY FANS!

I'm sure you all missed me terribly. I had forgotten this existed until I caught wind of the drama during the holiday tournament.

What did I miss?
Albert Lea is the greatest.
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

TheSouthSide wrote:Very good game in Red Wing tonight. Red Wing pulls out a hard fought game against Faribault today 4-3 in overtime. Red Wing was without their starting goalie because of throat surgery and Alleva was sick with the flu, but didn't stop her from having a terrific game. Shots were 26-23 in favor of Red Wing. Faribault's top line is very fast and skilled, but truthfully it looked like Red Wing had a little more depth and eventually it showed.

Big game for section seedings and possibly set up a big rematch come tourney time.
I agree it was a good game to watch, could have gone either way. Red Wing is definitley deeper in both Def and Forwards. Next year will be the Falcons year they will have more depth, this is more of a rebuilding year. I pick Red Wing over Northfield in Sect. final.
ALL-STAR ROOKIE

Post by ALL-STAR ROOKIE »

ALL-STAR ROOKIE wrote:
ALL-STAR ROOKIE wrote:RSI,

What happened to him?

The " Lady Tigers" won a game and he must of went on vacation. :lol:

Has anyone seen RSI lately? He has sure been quite about them " Lady Tigers. " :shock:

The " Lady Tigers" have been putting up a good fight without there senior forward Jenna C. It was sad to hear the news of her soccer injury. She has the college team to look forward to now. I hope it all works out for her.
TheSouthSide

Post by TheSouthSide »

Very nice win for Red Wing tonight against Woodbury 4-2. :shock: A healthy Alleva and #1 goalie back made a huge difference. Looks like the win against Faribault and even the loss to St. Croix has woke up the team. Woodbury has had some quality wins against Holy Angels and Anoka and tied AA powerhouse Roseville with a one goal loss to a super tough Bemidji team. Red Wing seems to be hitting their stride and gaining momentum for the season ending push. Sections should be fun!

Funny thing is, I think their best hockey is yet to come!!!
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

TheSouthSide wrote:Very nice win for Red Wing tonight against Woodbury 4-2. :shock: A healthy Alleva and #1 goalie back made a huge difference. Looks like the win against Faribault and even the loss to St. Croix has woke up the team. Woodbury has had some quality wins against Holy Angels and Anoka and tied AA powerhouse Roseville with a one goal loss to a super tough Bemidji team. Red Wing seems to be hitting their stride and gaining momentum for the season ending push. Sections should be fun!

Funny thing is, I think their best hockey is yet to come!!!
I heard Alleva played center in the game against Woodbury - she has a great scoring touch.
TheSouthSide

Post by TheSouthSide »

Nope Alleva is all D. She might have taken a few faceoffs, but nothing more. And yes, she has great touch around the net!
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

TheSouthSide wrote:Nope Alleva is all D. She might have taken a few faceoffs, but nothing more. And yes, she has great touch around the net!
She is allowed all over! and on the ice most of the time I think she is actually a floater! :)