Section 1A

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeytribe

Post by hockeytribe »

"Wow, what happened to MW? Were players hurt or sick? Did anybody go to the game? The last time they met it was 8-2 for MW according to MGHCA. I guess that's why you play the game."

Flu bug
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Alleva just tied it 2-2 for RW.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

RW 3 Fergus 2. Wagoner breakaway goal. 2nd goal Alleva sniped under the crossbar. 1st goal Haley. Well done RW.
itshockey

section1A

Post by itshockey »

Unfortunatly it wasn't a flu bug that hit Mankato West it was totally unexplainable the girls just weren't there that game, I like to think it would have been a better state tourny game Mankato West VS Warroad,
Hutch was plain embarrassing.
BigT

Re: section1A

Post by BigT »

itshockey wrote:Unfortunatly it wasn't a flu bug that hit Mankato West it was totally unexplainable the girls just weren't there that game, I like to think it would have been a better state tourny game Mankato West VS Warroad,
Hutch was plain embarrassing.
Yeah, it would have been 6-0
:-)
:shock:
RSI

Post by RSI »

Rocket78 wrote:RW 3 Fergus 2. Wagoner breakaway goal. 2nd goal Alleva sniped under the crossbar. 1st goal Haley. Well done RW.
Congrat to the Wingers. :D
Way to go girls, keep it up :D
gmom29

Post by gmom29 »

RSI wrote:
Rocket78 wrote:RW 3 Fergus 2. Wagoner breakaway goal. 2nd goal Alleva sniped under the crossbar. 1st goal Haley. Well done RW.
Congrats Red Wing!

Keep up the good work, and no matter what,
keep your heads up and Remember to have FUN!!!
BigT

Post by BigT »

RSI wrote:
Win again, Wingers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D
fbofan

Post by fbofan »

Great job Red Wing! It has been fun to watch you this week! Keep your chins up and have fun tomorrow!
SEhockeyDAD

Red Wing

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

Outstanding season for Red Wing! Congratulations to the girls and coach Haley. Finishing the state tournament in 3rd place behind Blake & Warroad is basically the best showing possible. And to make great even better, Rose Aleva earns the Herb Brooks award.

And for the rest of section 1A; sorry to remind you of what you already know, but Red Wing graduates....no one.
hockeygroupie

Re: Red Wing

Post by hockeygroupie »

SEhockeyDAD wrote:Outstanding season for Red Wing! Congratulations to the girls and coach Haley. Finishing the state tournament in 3rd place behind Blake & Warroad is basically the best showing possible. And to make great even better, Rose Aleva earns the Herb Brooks award.

And for the rest of section 1A; sorry to remind you of what you already know, but Red Wing graduates....no one.
And your point is? Just remember there are many towns in this section that have some outstanding 14A players coming up that will give their teams depth.
Rosie is a great player but she can't do it all? As you can see from the tourney teams need depth not just one stud on the ice 99% of the time and win games.
Goalie-Nibbe(not sure of spelling) way to keep your team in the game you played outstanding!
Rosie congrats on the Award it is well deserved!
Redwing girls congrats on a great season!
Coach Haley--job well done!
TheSouthSide

Post by TheSouthSide »

This was truly an unbelievable season for the Wingers. No one would have expected a third place finish, maybe a tournament birth, but not a medal. The Wingers are young and learned to win close games when they counted. Can't wait to see the banner hanging in PI!!!

Make no mistake about it, taking third place was a total team effort. Three different players scored in the quarterfinals, two different in the semifinals, and two different in the third place game. Lisa Nibbe played phenomenal and kept us in all the tournament games. She was without a doubt the team MVP in the state tournament and seems to only be getting better! Rose is a huge part of this team and we all appreciate what she does for this team on and off the ice and couldn't have made it without her. I do think it shows though that we aren't just a one person show. Other girls stepped up when we needed it most and helped bring home the trophy.

See ya next year!
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

What happened to this thread? Did your daughters all graduate? I actually miss this one :shock:
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

Rocket78 wrote:What happened to this thread? Did your daughters all graduate? I actually miss this one :shock:

Is it too early to start with some predictions for the year?
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

hockeygroupie wrote:
Rocket78 wrote:What happened to this thread? Did your daughters all graduate? I actually miss this one :shock:

Is it too early to start with some predictions for the year?
Here is a early prediction:

1. Redwing or Faribault..to close to decide yet
3.Albert Lea
4. Northfield
5. New Prague
6. Austin
7. Waseca

I think that is all of them...or is Waseca out of 1A now..
RSI

Post by RSI »

I was hoping to not put myself through all this again, but the urge proved to be too great ](*,)

I'm not sure what to expect for AL this year, probably more of the same :roll: considering they still have the same head coach. ](*,) The girls should be able to score similarily to last year as they lost just 1 forward to graduation. Goaltending is a bit of a question mark, at least to me since I haven't seen the youngster play since her U12 days. The D unit was hit HARD by graduation losing 3 players who saw significant playing time.

AL will probably roll 2 lines, whose make-up will be VERY similar to last year, mixing in a 3rd here and there for obvious reasons :wink: I expect AL's 2 senior forwards to have very STRONG years.
On D I have a feeling Lauren Draayer and Sam Stanley will see A LOT of ice time early as the "new" girls get their feet wet at the HS level.
SEhockeyDAD

1a

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

New Prague has joined 1A? They were good in their day, surely they have something left? I'd say Red Wing is #1 till Faribault shows they've gotten better on D.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

I really like what I see happening in Red Wing... They have Rose, but I really like all the young talent I watched all fall in the SE MN 4 on 4 HS league...
Red Wing did not lose a single player from a talented state tourney team, and those young kids are another year older after playing a lot of hockey this summer and fall...
I like Red Wing's chances to repeat very much!
donomuch

Post by donomuch »

I would think Faribault should be very strong. Who did they lose?
I would think their biggest gun is Megan Bergland, excellent player. Just gets better and better.

New Prague: Close to same team as last year, graduated back up goalie and 1 forward off their varsity. Also junior Samantha Lijewski quit playing hockey. A couple of last year's JV girls will see varsity time this year. They did well yesterday at the Alex scrimmage fest, better passing, but scrimmages don't say much about how games will go.

No penalties were called in the scrimmages, how did Owatonna do in Alex? Didn't get to see or play them.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Slow start on this thread.

Faribault 5-1 win over JM. Looked convincing. JM did not get many quality chances. Fbo swarmed.

Red Wing starts with two losses. 2-3 to Hastings and 2-4 to SSP. Alleva has the only goals so far. Hmmm.

Northfield ties Austin 5-5 and then beats AL 3-2. Northfield up and coming?
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Rocket78 wrote:Slow start on this thread.

Faribault 5-1 win over JM. Looked convincing. JM did not get many quality chances. Fbo swarmed.

Red Wing starts with two losses. 2-3 to Hastings and 2-4 to SSP. Alleva has the only goals so far. Hmmm.

Northfield ties Austin 5-5 and then beats AL 3-2. Northfield up and coming?
Hastings and SSP are good squads... better than Southern MN competition at this time of the season... Red Wing's young kids will be fine...
Falcon 89 Fan

09-10 Predictions

Post by Falcon 89 Fan »

It's going to be a fun year in 1A. There are a couple of good teams here and whoever makes it out will represent well. Faribault has improved both offensively and on D. The addition of some U-14 girls along with not losing anyone pushes them past RW. My predictions are;

1. Faribault (big suprise)
2. RW
3. NP
4. NFLD

It doesn't matter after that.

Good luck girls and as always

:mrgreen: GO GREEN
Falcon 89 Fan

Post by Falcon 89 Fan »

Faribault 5 J.M. 1

Faribault 5 Winona 2

Faribault 3 Nfld 0

Faribault 6 A.L. 2

Where has everyone gone? I guess this form loses some interest when there is a clear top 2 teams (Ok mabey 3 with NP) in the section.

Faribault is on a roll and will be hard to stop with all of the offensive talent the have. Good effort by A.L. they put up more of a fight then I expected. The 7th grader played pretty well in the net.

Next step is a good test up in Buffalo with some good AA teams.

:mrgreen: GO GREEN
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Thought we could add more F'bo scores...

NWC 4 - F'bo 2

Buffalo 6 - F'bo 2

Mayo 7 - F'bo 4

Mankato W 1 - F'bo 5

Mankato E 2 - F'bo 6

Owatonna 7 - F'bo 1

F'bo record for last 6 games is 2-4-0. Opponents 27 - F'bo 20. Who's going to steer this ship? Next up is Mound-Westonka and Austin (3 game win streak) and then off to River Lakes Tourney. Common opponent w/ RL is NWC who beat RL 4-1. Looks like F'bo has a chance to get their course corrected in that game. F'bo has some talented scorers so something else is holding them back.
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

Rocket78 wrote:Thought we could add more F'bo scores...

NWC 4 - F'bo 2

Buffalo 6 - F'bo 2

Mayo 7 - F'bo 4

Mankato W 1 - F'bo 5

Mankato E 2 - F'bo 6

Owatonna 7 - F'bo 1

F'bo record for last 6 games is 2-4-0. Opponents 27 - F'bo 20. Who's going to steer this ship? Next up is Mound-Westonka and Austin (3 game win streak) and then off to River Lakes Tourney. Common opponent w/ RL is NWC who beat RL 4-1. Looks like F'bo has a chance to get their course corrected in that game. F'bo has some talented scorers so something else is holding them back.
Heard that Faribault had 6 girls that were sick this week and missed a few practices. Johnson was still on bench, thought she was to be back. I don't think Austin will be a challenge for Faribault, maybe they just had a bad game. Owatonna coach said thier goal was to shut down Bergland and Salmonsen and it looks as if they did. Seems as if they don't play well the team doesn't.