2010-11 Open Coaching Positions

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jusanothermember

Coach

Post by Jusanothermember »

Would you have any names?
OldGirlsCoach

Any updates on head coaches

Post by OldGirlsCoach »

just wondering if all the positions have been filled.
Purehockey

Post by Purehockey »

Coon Rapids new coach is Jessica Christopherson she was a asst. coach at St.Thomas
mnhcp

Post by mnhcp »

Delete
Last edited by mnhcp on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SportsMa

Post by SportsMa »

Chatted with a couple parents from Fergus Falls at a hockey tournament this weekend and they confirmed the rumor that I had heard earlier that Matt Koalska is indeed going to be their girls' varsity head coach.

He is getting married soon and they are settling into Fergus Falls where his to be wife, Leah Graff, is from. She was an assistant last year and will continue with the program, too. She is a physical education instructor in the district and he is working at the local Athletic Republic.

The parents I spoke with were very excited about this.
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

Scott Childers was named the head coach at Rogers, he was the assistant there the last two years. He will do a great job as the parents were really happy with the new coaching staff who came in two years ago and started to build the program up.
mnhcp

Post by mnhcp »

Some additions/selections:

1) Academy of Holy Angles -
2) Andover - Ben Monahan
3) Apple Valley - Don Erdall
4) Centennial - Mark Domschot
5) Champlin park - Jim Koltes
6) Cloquet -
7) Coon Rapids - Jessica Christopherson
8 ) East Ridge - Tony Hoops
9) Fergus Falls - Matt Koalska
10) Grand Rapids/Greenway - Darrin Illikainen and Brad Hyduke
11) Jefferson - Mark Stephan
12) Maple Grove - Rob Potter
13) Moorhead -
14) New Prague - Matt Miller
15) Park of Cottage Grove - Steve Morse
16) Pequot Lakes -
17) Prior Lake - Jaime Grossman
18 ) Richfield -
19) Rogers - Scott Childers
20) Saint Peter -
21) Shakopee - Matt Klein
-) Wayzata - ?
22) Wilmar -
23) Woodbury - Shantel Rivard
Last edited by mnhcp on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
dumb blonde

Post by dumb blonde »

I think you can add Wayzata to the list. I was told by a Wayzata parent that their head coach resigned last week.
MinnGirlsHockey

Como Park HS

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

Does anyone know why Como Park was added to this list? Aren't they part of the St. Paul Blades co-op (with all of the St. Paul public schools), or are they trying to start their own program?
Gopher04

Post by Gopher04 »

You're correct - Como Park is part of the St. Paul Blades co-op. I've talked with a few people and they said the open Varsity Hockey coaching position at Como Park is for the boys team - evidently, this was put up in error on the girls website......
mnhcp

Post by mnhcp »

Anyone know why Holy Angels isn't a coveted position such as the other privates?
observer

Post by observer »

No players. The boys will be down this season too. Questionable depth.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

mnhcp wrote:Anyone know why Holy Angels isn't a coveted position such as the other privates?
The coach new what was ahead so he jumped ship to a program with a better feeder program. The economy has not helped.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

hockeya1a wrote:
mnhcp wrote:Anyone know why Holy Angels isn't a coveted position such as the other privates?
The coach knew what was ahead so he jumped ship to a program with a better feeder program. The economy has not helped.
ghshockeyfan

Asst. Girls Hockey Coach - Woodbury High School

Post by ghshockeyfan »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Asst. Girls Hockey Coach
School: Woodbury High School
Send Resumes to:
http://www.generalasp.com/sowashco/onlineapp/-
2665 Woodlane Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125-2922 For More Info:
Jason Schultz
651-768-4421
jschultz@sowashco.k12.mn.us

Deadline: Open Until Filled Start: 11-1-2010
Description:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Curious, what do you mean when you say "such as the other privates"

The other private jobs that have opened recently have not been highly coveted positions - Totino Grace has had several coaches in the past few years. BSM only had a handful of applicants when it was open (although I think there were some other issues surrounding that job at the time). Holy Family didn't attract many applicants as well. I'm not sure how many applied for the Breck and Hill positions when they were open, but Breck hired a coach who had not had a lot of success in other places he had coached, although it looks like he is doing a good job with that program now. Hill went the route that a lot of schools this year seem to be going, with a name not many in Girls hockey have heard of, but turned out to be a solid coach. Let's hope these other programs have the same success, as we need more quality coaches in the game. Blake and CDH have been lucky to have coaches in place for a long period of time.

I think beenaround makes a good point, with so many openings there just doesn't seem to be a lot of people willing and ready to take on the responsibility of a head coaching job. It seems that it has turned into a full time job, and with the changing economy not as many people are able to work it into their regular work schedules.
Ufeelshame

Post by Ufeelshame »

I am all in favor of the "best" applicant getting the job and this is not an indictment on anyone on the list. However, I am shocked that more women aren't applying for and receiving head high school coaching jobs. My daughter has had both. She has liked both. But girls hockey is not in its infancy anymore. There are plenty of girls who have played at a much higher level (college, high school etc.) than many male coaches. Why are they not applying? If they are why are they not getting the jobs? Just asking. I think young women get young women better...totally written from a stupid male perspective by the way.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Why do most hockey parents think good coaches are people that played at a high level, college or beyond. Some of the better coaches my son has had were coaches that did not play college or beyond. The reason I am writing this, because the write mentioned stuff about women playing at a high level should become coaches. It should only matter what type of person he/she is, what their moral values are, their coaching experience, their personality, and educational values.

However...in today's world. So many hockey parents are concerned about the path the coach took as a player and not the type of coach that person is. This translates to players these days as well. For some reason this is only the case for hockey. There are numerous baseball, basketball, and football coaches out there that are great that never played at a really high level.

Why are hockey parents concerned about this??
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

That might be the problem, they only have playing experience. (The level at which they played doesn't matter in my opinion) You will probably see more young women applying for these jobs as they gain more experience coaching at different levels of the game. I am not sure how many men got there jobs just because they played hockey at some level. I would think most varsity head coaches gained experience coaching at different levels before they got to be a head varsity coach. You probably are seeing more young women as assistants at this point but as they gain more experience they will jump to head positions.
iceage

Post by iceage »

hockeywild7 wrote:That might be the problem, they only have playing experience. (The level at which they played doesn't matter in my opinion) You will probably see more young women applying for these jobs as they gain more experience coaching at different levels of the game. I am not sure how many men got there jobs just because they played hockey at some level. I would think most varsity head coaches gained experience coaching at different levels before they got to be a head varsity coach. You probably are seeing more young women as assistants at this point but as they gain more experience they will jump to head positions.
It has been my experience that talented players with a lot of natural ability who go far are, in general, poorer instructors and teachers. These players never had to learn their skills and therefore have a more difficult time instructing others. Coaching of course involves more than teaching skills.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

I don't think there is a correlation to playing ability and coaching ability. I feel the most successful coaches are great teachers, motivators, and know how to put athletes in positions to succeed.
Ufeelshame

Post by Ufeelshame »

People are funny. Exceptions don't change rules. You need to have some level of proficiency at anything to teach it. That is the rule. There are exceptions to the rule, but the exceptions don't change the rule. ALL things being equal, if a person is a good coach AND played at the same level or better that he/she is coaching he/she will be a better coach than some wannabe who never played the game. It really is that simple. Now the problem with Minnesota hockey is too many parents that think you didn't need to play the game to coach. If you look at all those "examples" of great coaches who never played you will find MORE great coaches that actually played at some level. Again the exceptions don't make the rule. I agree great players DON'T necessarily make great coaches. That is because they are tremendously self motivated and generally not great at motivating others. But please wannabe's that have no idea of what it takes (physically, emotionally, etc.) to play at the level they are coaching will rarely be successful...i didn't say never, I said rarely. So please don't reply with all the exceptions to the rule.
joehockey

Re: Asst. Girls Hockey Coach - Woodbury High School

Post by joehockey »

ghshockeyfan wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send Resumes to:
2665 Woodlane Drive
Jason Schultz
651-768-4421

Description:

I think this is filled or I hope so - Woodbury - Shantel Rivard they had a story in the Woodbury Paper.

Shantel was a college player, college coach, moved to Woodbury and has been coaching a U12 team. She has two young children but appears to want to give back and teach the game to young players. She has a reputation for teaching & making the practices/game fun.

A great player doesn't make a great coach but a player who has had playing experience understands what matters and what doesn't - managing, practices, games, locker room and parents is above and beyond playing/knowing the game and may have equal weight to success but you need both.
ghshockeyfan

Re: Asst. Girls Hockey Coach - Woodbury High School

Post by ghshockeyfan »

joehockey wrote:
ghshockeyfan wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send Resumes to:
2665 Woodlane Drive
Jason Schultz
651-768-4421

Description:

I think this is filled or I hope so - Woodbury - Shantel Rivard they had a story in the Woodbury Paper.

Shantel was a college player, college coach, moved to Woodbury and has been coaching a U12 team. She has two young children but appears to want to give back and teach the game to young players. She has a reputation for teaching & making the practices/game fun.

A great player doesn't make a great coach but a player who has had playing experience understands what matters and what doesn't - managing, practices, games, locker room and parents is above and beyond playing/knowing the game and may have equal weight to success but you need both.
I believe this is the posting for Shantel's assistant.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Ufeelshame wrote:People are funny. Exceptions don't change rules. You need to have some level of proficiency at anything to teach it. That is the rule. There are exceptions to the rule, but the exceptions don't change the rule. ALL things being equal, if a person is a good coach AND played at the same level or better that he/she is coaching he/she will be a better coach than some wannabe who never played the game. It really is that simple. Now the problem with Minnesota hockey is too many parents that think you didn't need to play the game to coach. If you look at all those "examples" of great coaches who never played you will find MORE great coaches that actually played at some level. Again the exceptions don't make the rule. I agree great players DON'T necessarily make great coaches. That is because they are tremendously self motivated and generally not great at motivating others. But please wannabe's that have no idea of what it takes (physically, emotionally, etc.) to play at the level they are coaching will rarely be successful...i didn't say never, I said rarely. So please don't reply with all the exceptions to the rule.
Is it roughly an equal split between coaches who never played and coaches that actually played at some level?

It seems like there are far fewer coaches who never played. I mean overall count, not just "great" coaches.