6AA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

With Wayzata 0-2 so far this week, it is almost set in stone that they will be the 4th seed....unless there's a major upset at the PIC on Saturday vs. Minnetonka. Going 1-1 with EP and 0-1 with Benilde will make it hard for the Trojans to advance past the fourth spot.

Seeds 1-3 will be determined after the Tonka/EP game next Thursday. If Tonka wins, they will be 1st and I have no clue whether EP or Benilde will be 2nd. If EP wins, I don't know what they'll do either. Basically, it's gonna be a long meeting for Section 6 this year....
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Doc Holliday wrote:For as big a school as EP is, I've always been surprised at the number of people that go to watch their games, both students & adults/kids/families. Seems like the #'s watching should be MUCH higher than they are. Don't know if it's because there are SO many other teams & activities going on.

Just seems like it's not nearly as big as Edina or Minnetonka....just my thoughts.
True story. I wonder if it has something to do with EPCC being the most sterile rink to play in that I have ever seen.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:For as big a school as EP is, I've always been surprised at the number of people that go to watch their games, both students & adults/kids/families. Seems like the #'s watching should be MUCH higher than they are. Don't know if it's because there are SO many other teams & activities going on.

Just seems like it's not nearly as big as Edina or Minnetonka....just my thoughts.
True story. I wonder if it has something to do with EPCC being the most sterile rink to play that I have ever seen.
No- this goes for all sporting events. I have witnessed 2 football games, a basketball game and about 4 hockey games this year for EP and comparatively speaking to other Lake Conference and other metro teams, their fans just don't compare. Sure, it seems like they bring a lot of people to the football games, but that is because they have the highest population of kids in the entire state. The ratio just definitely isn't there. I agree with someone earlier who said that they are used to winning and it isn't even a big deal for them anymore. They go to major games and that's pretty much it. If the team isn't doing as well as past years, they don't even bother.
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

EPCC is brutal, students can't get in to games there when the student sections are on opposite ends of the rink. They have constantly good turn outs for most sports but with hockey being on Tuesday and Thursday nights usually kids have other sports and homework. Away games are tough to get too as well with them being in Wayzata, and frankly most people wouldn't travel to Hopkins to watch anyone take on the Royals. Go to a EP-Edina game at braemar they always have great games there and the atmosphere with the student sections is second to none. Much like at BIG. When the kids face each other the atmosphere is 10x better. Most arenas in the lake are that way with the exception of Edina.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

eagles137 wrote:EPCC is brutal, students can't get in to games there when the student sections are on opposite ends of the rink. They have constantly good turn outs for most sports but with hockey being on Tuesday and Thursday nights usually kids have other sports and homework. Away games are tough to get too as well with them being in Wayzata, and frankly most people wouldn't travel to Hopkins to watch anyone take on the Royals. Go to a EP-Edina game at braemar they always have great games there and the atmosphere with the student sections is second to none. Much like at BIG. When the kids face each other the atmosphere is 10x better. Most arenas in the lake are that way with the exception of Edina.
After attending the EP/Edina game at Braemar last Thursday, I can say that Edina filled up a section and a half while EP filled up almost two rows and didn't do one chant all night.

The Edina/Minnetonka game was another story...there were some pretty raunchy chants going back and forth during that one.
blindref

Post by blindref »

Away games are tough to get too as well with them being in Wayzata

Twelve miles is tough?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I’ve seen a few good EP student crowds at Braemar. I also saw the 2010 6AA semifinal between EP & Wayzata at Braemar and there were maybe 15-20 students while Wayzata was packed to the gills. 4 days later, I then saw EP perhaps bring 30 students to the 6AA final versus Tonka at the Target Center. It even seemed like last year at state, the students didn’t fully come until the championship game. The semi versus Eagan seemed pretty subpar. Perhaps there was a girls basketball game or something, so I won’t totally condemn the student body, but like I originally said, it seems much less into it than Edina & Tonka for some reason.

There is definitely something to be said about EP’s main rink. To be fair, it was built in a time when EP was a smaller suburb and wasn’t what they are today. One of my rules is “Never put a hockey rink and a swimming pool in the same building.” All kidding aside, they have added ice sheets to keep up with the size of the program. I do wish that Pagel would have gone with two sides of bleachers instead of one side and the up above walkway, but at least the walkway allows for more people and creates more of an atmosphere of the rink being completely surrounded. And there’s no need to explain the virtues of Braemar. It seems that all opponents, whether it’s EP, Tonka, Wayzata, Hopkins of even St. Louis Park back in the Lake Blue/Classic Lake days, gets a little hop in their step and is always fired up to play at Braemar. It makes for a great atmosphere because everyone seems excited. EP fired up a nice baseball stadium, now it should be time to fire up a much better main rink. The only thing they’ve really done is replace the bleachers with locker rooms under those, get a new scoreboard that says the team name instead of “Home” or “Visitor” and painted over the big blue hockey skate & red figure skate with the fuzzy ball on the toe that was on the big brick wall. When they did the whole community center/baseball stadium building & renovation, I don't know why they didn't try to do something real to the main rink compared to what the little things they did.

Perhaps an EP person with knowledge can enlighten us, but does the school care about the hockey program? I ask that because one thing that really bothered me last year at state was in the program, all the AA teams had a nice, formal, team picture while all EP had was a huddled around the 6AA trophy from the prior week. To me, that’s kind of a sign that it’s not that big of a deal to them. But then again, perhaps I’m getting old and too often wax fondly of clear boards & in between period rock videos….
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

I remember seeing in the program that Mike Grant is the Athletic Director, who is also the football coach, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the majority of money went to the football program.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

It does baffle me as well. Football can get half the town out for Friday night and pack the EP stadium with Vendors tents - like Culvers, Taco Johns..I bet they get 2-3000 people out for a home game.. Okay- lets say 1000 students to be conservative for each home game. That would be 9000 students over 9 home games

EP hockey only has 9 home games this year - I bet the number for students that have been to ALL home games is around...4-500 - maybe.

I also notice everytime the students to come out in force (by force I am saying 30/40!) the security guards at the rink will not let them cheer or do chants or even get half way excited..Soons has the kids jump up for a goal or something, security guys run right over and start telling them to calm down and shush up. It's totally lame. Plus they are charging these kids 7 bucks a crack to get in? Please. 2 bucks tops for students. Or just let them in free .
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

I am from EP and I'm not sure I can explain it. I actually think the crowds at home games have been bigger this year than last. I couldn't understand why last year, with the best player in the state and the best team, it wouldn't be full every night. The first game of the season last year had a great crowd and student body, but after that most games were pretty poorly attended.

I remember 7-8 years ago they actually used to have members of the school band at home games. That was a lot of fun and the crowd seemed to be more into the games.

I do think the CC has something to do with it. It isn't a great place to watch a game, but I don't think that is the only thing.

To the earlier comment, football games are generally well attended. It is the place to be on Friday night. Kids from 3rd grade through high school are there and you see lots of families in the crowd.

I also don't think it has to do with earlier comments about kids and people "expecting EP to win" and that's why they don't come out. Fact is until 3 years ago EP never won a state boys high school hockey championship.

I wish I could offer a great reason but I don't have one.
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

SuperStar wrote:It does baffle me as well. Football can get half the town out for Friday night and pack the EP stadium with Vendors tents - like Culvers, Taco Johns..I bet they get 2-3000 people out for a home game.. Okay- lets say 1000 students to be conservative for each home game. That would be 9000 students over 9 home games

EP hockey only has 9 home games this year - I bet the number for students that have been to ALL home games is around...4-500 - maybe.

I also notice everytime the students to come out in force (by force I am saying 30/40!) the security guards at the rink will not let them cheer or do chants or even get half way excited..Soons has the kids jump up for a goal or something, security guys run right over and start telling them to calm down and shush up. It's totally lame. Plus they are charging these kids 7 bucks a crack to get in? Please. 2 bucks tops for students. Or just let them in free .
SuperStar hit it right on the head! It's like a minny gestapo over at EPCC for hockey games. There is like 3 layers of security watching every little thing people do and they pounce once anyone gets out of line, a total frickin buzz kill for kids who just want to have some fun. there was a great energetic student section for the Eagan game and they completely disappeared after that. If I had some input into what they could do (outside of blowing up and starting over) it would be:

1. Get a band in there, even if it is a 3 piece percussion group to get some energy in there. I'm guessing EPCC has rules against that to :evil:

2. As Star mentions, reduce student prices (they are currently $5) to say 2-3 bucks, make it a non-issue (please no all EP kids are rich jokes).

3. I don't know what options the coaching staff has to get some momentum going at school, but an occasional pep rally or just simple marketing in the cafeteria that there is a game tonight and get off the XBOX and go to the rink, would be great!

4. Get a bus to away games so no students can say 12 miles is to far to drive :-)
ozone1

Post by ozone1 »

I'm an Ep fan as well.. crowds at epcc do seem bigger this year than last. With one home game left vs the Hornets it would be nice to get more student support, maybe even the band and HANG LAST YEAR AA CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER? are we waiting on Grant's approval? get it up and help this no name bunch get the impact of seeing that raised!....
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

ozone1 wrote:I'm an Ep fan as well.. crowds at epcc do seem bigger this year than last. With one home game left vs the Hornets it would be nice to get more student support, maybe even the band and HANG LAST YEAR AA CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER? are we waiting on Grant's approval? get it up and help this no name bunch get the impact of seeing that raised!....
I have not been to an EP game at the community center yet this year. Seriously, there is no championship banner hung yet? That's ridiculous if true.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

supertacks wrote:
SuperStar wrote:It does baffle me as well. Football can get half the town out for Friday night and pack the EP stadium with Vendors tents - like Culvers, Taco Johns..I bet they get 2-3000 people out for a home game.. Okay- lets say 1000 students to be conservative for each home game. That would be 9000 students over 9 home games

SuperStar hit it right on the head! It's like a minny gestapo over at EPCC for hockey games. There is like 3 layers of security watching every little thing people do and they pounce once anyone gets out of line, a total frickin buzz kill for kids who just want to have some fun. there was a great energetic student section for the Eagan game and they completely disappeared after that. If I had some input into what they could do (outside of blowing up and starting over) it would be:

1. Get a band in there, even if it is a 3 piece percussion group to get some energy in there. I'm guessing EPCC has rules against that to :evil:

2. As Star mentions, reduce student prices (they are currently $5) to say 2-3 bucks, make it a non-issue (please no all EP kids are rich jokes).

3. I don't know what options the coaching staff has to get some momentum going at school, but an occasional pep rally or just simple marketing in the cafeteria that there is a game tonight and get off the XBOX and go to the rink, would be great!

4. Get a bus to away games so no students can say 12 miles is to far to drive :-)
I heard from EP hockey parent that the hockey program requested a student bus but was denied by AD. Does the football team get student bus or busses approved by said AD?
Also compare the size and organization of the youth football program to that of the youth hockey program and I think you will see where the majority of the interest lies.

Agree that the rink is terrible watching games and creating exiting atmosphere.
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

I may be wrong but my understanding is student buses are provided only for games when teams are participating in state tournaments. I don't think any sport (including football), has student buses for regular season games.
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

Doc Holliday wrote:
ozone1 wrote:I'm an Ep fan as well.. crowds at epcc do seem bigger this year than last. With one home game left vs the Hornets it would be nice to get more student support, maybe even the band and HANG LAST YEAR AA CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER? are we waiting on Grant's approval? get it up and help this no name bunch get the impact of seeing that raised!....
I have not been to an EP game at the community center yet this year. Seriously, there is no championship banner hung yet? That's ridiculous if true.
The banner was to be hung over Christmas but the banner was made wrong.....
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

EPCC was remodeled to fit the need for a 3rd rink for younger teams to practice on. The money for that rink came from the donations made to Ryan Shuman a former EPHS hockey player that lost a battle with cancer a few years ago to anyone who dozen't know who I'm talking about. The old community center was very very ugly the most obvious changes were to the lobby and to get rid of the horrible aqua blue color scheme. The main rink didn't really change at all. EP was a nobody in hockey until they ran the table 09' all of the changes were made before that team so for the varsity team to ask for its own rink would have been a joke. Last year when EP played Edina all 3 games had good turn outs for both sides. And to say that the chants and what not during the state tournaments were sub par is understandable. The Lakeville North and Eagan game were over after the 1st period. The Duluth East game had a great atmosphere from both student sections but who ever plans where the student sections are located dropped the ball with DE on the end boards and EP in the 3rd level. After the "food stamps" incident last year the security guards really cut down on any chants period besides the basic "let's go eagles" and ect. You can say that's good sportsmanship but it's one of the best parts about going to games. Its fun for both student sections to try and rip one another with the creative chants. On a final note the only time that there are fan buses for the games is for state tournament games, and when it comes to hockey a lot of kids leave early to watch other games so the interest in the fan bus isn't always there for hockey.
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

Back to the main subject, I think the 1-4 seeds are pretty much set barring a Wayzata over Tonka or EP over Tonka upset. This is the way I see it:
1.Tonka
2.Eden Prairie
3.BSM
4.Wayzata
gray5

Post by gray5 »

Yah I see the same seedings. But what if Wayzata won two straight and EP beat Tonka again.

Then the seedings might be
1. EP
2. Tonka
3. Wayzata
4. BSM

Funny that it really wouldn't change the semis match ups but it would change the seedings.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Tonka wins a nailbiter 4-3 in OT after being down 2 goals with 6 minutes left in regulation. I'd assume BSM is locked at 3 and Wayzata at 4 now. The only thing yet to be determined will be sorted out next Thursday when the Eagles come to Pagel
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

If EP loses to tonka next week

1 Tonka
2 BSM
3 EP
4 Wayzata
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

minnscout wrote:If EP loses to tonka next week

1 Tonka
2 BSM
3 EP
4 Wayzata
Disagree. EP doesn't fall past 2.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Slap Shot wrote:Disagree. EP doesn't fall past 2.
I agree with this. There really isn't much difference between the 2 and 3 seed in this section though; both teams should have an easy first round game. The only advantage to getting the 2 seed is getting 2nd line change in the semifinal matchup.
hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

Bump, with the Tonka blowout over EP and the Wayzata upset against Edina, any new predictions?
Wasilla

Post by Wasilla »

hshockeyfan8 wrote:Bump, with the Tonka blowout over EP and the Wayzata upset against Edina, any new predictions?
What are the pros/cons of the different seedings in 6AA after first seed? Is there that big of an advantage to 2 vs 3? or 3 vs 4? are there brackets anywhere for the different seeds?