Kiwanis Hockey Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyRoch

Post by HockeyRoch »

I'm surprised by Lourdes losing in the first round. Good for Northland Pines. I wasn't at the game because I figured it would be one sided but apparently not. Does anyone have any information from being at the game?

I agree with the previous comment. Unless, some good to great players come up through the ranks and attend Lourdes High School; they are going to struggle along with all of the other Rochester programs.
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

Ashawaubenon and Lourdes are tied at 0 after 1.
SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

Class AA
Eastview Beats Park 4-0
Mayo Beats Eau Clare Memorial in Overtime 4-3
In The Consolation Bracket
Century Beats New Richmond 2-1
South Beat JM 5-3

So the AA Championship game is set
Itll be Mayo taking on Eastview
I think this Mayo team is strong enough to take home the tournament title for the first time since 1998 after plenty of times coming up short.

In Class A
Verona (WI) beat New Ulm 5-1
Kansas City wins in overtime over Northland Pines 4-3
In the consolation bracket
WSFLG beat Dodge County 5-3
Lourdes wins 1-0 over Ashwauben

The A title should be a wonderful one as well but i see Kansas City coming out on top.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Best Rochester team
Well the debate should be resolved as to the best Rochester
AA team this year. Lackluster showings be JM and century while
Mayo is in the championship game. How about Lourdes playing for fifth place
And nearly playing for seventh after squeaking by Ruth a 1-0 win on consolation bracket semis.
Any thoughts or anyone want to still debate
grandmeadowhockeyfan

After 1st period

Mayo came out hustling, making nice passes, and
Having a lot of time in the offensive zone.
Went 0-3 on pp. east view scores a hard working goal off a
Rebound with 2 minutes left in period. 1-0 east view
After first. Mayo was the better team in first. Score is what matters though.
[/list]
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Half through second

Eastview scores in first minute of second as
Their pp expires. SecOnd goal with hard work in
Front of the net. Mayo having trouble getting
Out of their zone most of period. Eastview making passing and speed.
3-0 eastview
grandmeadowhockeyfan

2nd half of second

Mayo scores pp goal on delayed penalty to
Eastview player. The next pp was weak and had very little
Time in off zone. Eastview scored to short handed goals
And put all the pressure on mayo. The period ends mercifully
For mayo. Eastview up 5-1. Mayo starts third with five minute pp with
A 5 minute check from behind call. All Eastview except two minutes or so in last five minutes of second.
SEpuck

Post by SEpuck »

Have a little too much sauce tonight grandmeadow?? haha
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Really

The big question is how did you see the game
Turning out. Or what did you see at the Kiwanis
Tourney that I missed.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

I think Mayo showed who is the best team in Rochester. LHS was the 5th best team in the Class A side. (Probably would have been the 6th best in the AA side) They work hard but are just a cute little Class A team with 1 line.

The tournament was well run and thanks to Mayo playing the Saturday night game, good ticket sales. Looking forward to next year's tournament already.
HockeyRoch

Post by HockeyRoch »

I think Mayo showed who is the best team in Rochester. LHS was the 5th best team in the Class A side. (Probably would have been the 6th best in the AA side)

I disagree. I was at the championship game and Mayo didn't do anything to solidfy themselves as the best team in Rochester. Mayo got beat 7-2 by Eastview. What does that show? I can believe that they had an off night and it wasn't their best performance but it is still hard to determine who is the best Rochester team.

Lourdes had an off night and it put them in the losers bracket of the single A tournament. In the end, they won just as many games as Mayo did in the tournament.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Lourdes had an "off night" and got beat? Come on. Northland Pines came out flat in the 1st and LHS couldn't do anything with that chance. Then NP came out playing hard in the 2nd and 3rd and it was a very close game. LHS played as good as they could. They have 2 very talented players, as shown by their 11 points in the consolation game. But, against a tough team that plays the body, they are average. Add in their remaining average 2 lines and generally average D. LHS (and Class A in general) are one line wonders. But LHS had good goaltending which I don't think they have now.

LHS maybe had an off night in their 2nd game narrowly winning 1-0 with a 40 shot advantage.

Mayo vs. LHS. Goaltending advantage to Mayo. Defense advantage to Mayo. #1 line could be a toss-up. #2 line advantage to Mayo. #3 line could be a toss-up, but those young Mayo kids are figuring it out and by the end of February will be better than the LHS 3rd line.

As shown by the juggling of the LHS lines, the finger is on the panic button.
Mayo is hands down the top team in Rochester. LHS probably #2 but maybe not. Definately best Class A team though.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Winning the consolation bracket in an unseeded tournament doesn't make you 5th best. You very well could be, but it's very hard to draw that conclusion from that result alone; you also can't take that to compare to across to the results of another tournament.

How bout this: Blaine went 0-3 in the Gold Division and Mounds View 3-0 in Bronze of the Schwan Cup so Mounds View is clearly superior...

I wasn't there; you clearly were, so use what you saw to say why you think one was better. I'm surprised the Rochester schools don't have a round robin tournament to start or end the season similar to the Edina Invitational. It would make sense for everyone for reasons from finance to competition to bragging rights...

Does anyone know how they decide which bracket to put each of the non-MSHSL teams in? Is it by enrollment?
HockeyRoch

Post by HockeyRoch »

LHS played as good as they could
I find it hard to believe that Lourdes played as good as they could. The Post Bulletin interviewed their head coach, Josh Spaniol, and he even stated that 21 out of 22 players didn't show up to play. He probably knows his players and their level of play but you were there and stated it was the best they could play so I guess we'll go with that. Haha.

I didn't attend this game because I figured Lourdes would win by a lot. I was surprised to see the outcome but that's what can happen when you take teams lightly. The same thing happened to Mayo in the championship game. I think the scenario is different though. It was a championship game and Mayo showed up to play but they just couldn't handle the higher skill of Eastview and it exposed Mayo's weaknesses. Eastview isn't even in the top 10 and they easily handled Mayo. Now, give Mayo a top ten team in AA or single A and see what happens. Mayo's regular season record is a joke. Look at who Lourdes has coming up and be the judge after the next 30 days.
Rookie Scout

Post by Rookie Scout »

I was surprised to see Albert Lea wasn't at this tournament like the last few years. The last time I talked with Coach Nystrom he said he's been going the last few years.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Albert lea

They found a more competitive tourney to
Attend. The Kiwanis needs to consider a one eight
Team tourney. Maybe we could get all eight as Minnesota
Teams. The writing on the wall is there. Albert lea and Rochester
Lourdes are leaving. They can't get Minnesota teams to come. At least
If a team wins it they can say they beat three quality teams.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Mayo knew full well what they were up against with Eastview and didn't "take them lightly". So Eastview has to be top 10 team to be taken seriously? About 70 teams wish they were in the top 10!

And I did see Spaniol's comment. Didn't know he dressed 22 players? It's easy to dismiss a loss as "a bad night". Two nights in a row? Yep, the next 30 days will be interesting to watch.
Rookie Scout

Re: Albert lea

Post by Rookie Scout »

grandmeadowhockeyfan wrote:They found a more competitive tourney to
Attend.
To me it looks like they went a step down this year with the holiday tournament they went to. I think they might of got smoked in Rochester.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/schedule/tea ... ason=79765

4Cambridge-Isanti

2Albert Lea

12/27/2012 05:00 PM CST

Veterans Memorial Community Center, Inver Grove Heights

2Albert Lea

3Simley

12/28/2012 05:00 PM CST

Veterans Memorial Community Center, Inver Grove Heights

0Albert Lea

2D.C. Everest

12/29/2012 01:00 PM CST

Inver Grove Heights
Huskiesfan16

Post by Huskiesfan16 »

Hold on. Mayo's defense better than Lourdes? Your kidding badgerbob right? I agree the goaltending for mayo has been better, but Slightem and Krecke are miles ahead of any of mayos defenseman. #22 Holtan is it? That kid is big and physical and he gets my vote as a top 4 defenseman in Rochester, probably #3 behind the two I just mentioned, (considering there's no zmolek) (spelling there?)but after that where's their corps? Nothing. Offensively Lourdes has line 1 easy, line two probably, and after that there's some competition. Can't we all agree that unless these teams would play there's no way we can officially tell who's the alpha male? My bet would be on Lourdes though.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Maybe after giving up 14 goals in the last 2 games, including 7 to a Memorial team Mayo beat.........
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Since Lourdes won't go AA,common opponents comparison is all we have. And so far supports Mayo is the better team this year. Century has been in the past also. But if they played and LHS lost, they'd have had a bad night, didn't show up to play, need best 2 of 3 series, etc.