6AA Playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who makes it to St. Paul?

Wayzata
55%
Eden Prairie
18%
Holy Family
14%
BSM
14%

Total votes: 44

hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

Anyone know how which game is played at Braemar and which at BIG is determined?
gitter

Post by gitter »

hshockeyfan8 wrote:Anyone know how which game is played at Braemar and which at BIG is determined?
Its changed every year. I've seen some years where they play opposite seeds to the 2AA (i.e. 1 vs 4 in the 2AA, and 2 vs 3 for the 6AA), I've seen them the same. They played both 6AA semifinals at BIG last year. In the end, they avoid placing Edina at Braemar and Jefferson at BIG (unless they play each other). From there they fill in the 6AA as they see best fit I suppose.
bsmguy

Post by bsmguy »

The game that is expected to draw the bigger crowd goes to Braemar. For several years, the semis have been some combo of BSM-Tonka-Wayzata-EP. BSM always went to BIG because the other three schools are much bigger. (one year Armstorng beat EP, but the same principle holds)

This year, if Holy Family and BSM are both in the mix in opposite games, I am not sure what they will do. But I know Tonka and Hopkins will have something to say about that tonight.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I was told that 6aa and 2aa number one seed alternate choosing either big or bramaer. Last year it was 2aas year. It was Edina with the number one seed and they obviously chose for 2aa to be played at bramaer. This year it's Wayzata's choice. Not sure if true but was told that is how it works. GB
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

GoldenBear wrote:I was told that 6aa and 2aa number one seed alternate choosing either big or bramaer. Last year it was 2aas year. It was Edina with the number one seed and they obviously chose for 2aa to be played at bramaer. This year it's Wayzata's choice. Not sure if true but was told that is how it works. GB
I Think Edina always plays section semi at BIG(neutral site)unless they are the higher seed and playing a Bloomington school which was the case last year when they played Jefferson at Braemar. Vice versa for Jefferson
The MSHSL site already has Edina at BIG this Saturday night
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

According to MSHSL.org:

6AA:

Wayzata (1) vs. Benilde (4): 3:30 @ BIG
Eden Prairie (2) vs. Holy Family (3): 12PM @ Braemar

2AA:
Burnsville (2) vs. Jefferson (3): 4PM @ Braemar
Edina (1) vs. Prior Lake (4): 7:30 @ BIG
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Deep Breath wrote:Looking at a few of the comments about the BSM team, i wouild tend to disagree a little. Goaltending has not been the main issue this year (no, i am not a BSM goalie dad). Allowing a half-dozen or more odd-man rushes has been the problem. The team doesn't get the puck deep on a consistent basis and it leads to turnovers at the blueline. Now both goalies who have seen the majority of the minutes have allowed soft goals, no question about it. But, so has every other goalie in the state that has played serious varsity minutes. But, excactly how man 2on1s are you expecting a goalie to stop? Wayzata looks like the clear favorite in 6AA, but EP, HFC and BSM have all been involved in a 1-goal game with the Trojans this season. Won't be surprised if Wayzata makes it to St. Paul but it won't be a monumental upset if one of the next three seeds does either.
I too have said BSM goaltending is weak but up are absolutely correct that the number of odd man rushes is probably a bigger issue.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

Clarkkent wrote:
Deep Breath wrote:Looking at a few of the comments about the BSM team, i wouild tend to disagree a little. Goaltending has not been the main issue this year (no, i am not a BSM goalie dad). Allowing a half-dozen or more odd-man rushes has been the problem. The team doesn't get the puck deep on a consistent basis and it leads to turnovers at the blueline. Now both goalies who have seen the majority of the minutes have allowed soft goals, no question about it. But, so has every other goalie in the state that has played serious varsity minutes. But, excactly how man 2on1s are you expecting a goalie to stop? Wayzata looks like the clear favorite in 6AA, but EP, HFC and BSM have all been involved in a 1-goal game with the Trojans this season. Won't be surprised if Wayzata makes it to St. Paul but it won't be a monumental upset if one of the next three seeds does either.
I too have said BSM goaltending is weak but up are absolutely correct that the number of odd man rushes is probably a bigger issue.
The rink was pretty full last night despite the weather. Student sections were pretty vocal so I was surprised by the atmosphere for quarter sectional game.

Hopkins played their style of game and it nearly paid off. They took advantage of BSM's mistakes and scored on a 2 on 1 and on a PowerPlay.

Benilde played more defensively than in the past by having their D stay home more and did not turn the puck over. I had it as a 2 to 1 in shots favoring BSM and the quality of shots seemed to be about the same (2 for BSM for every one for Hopkins).

Hopkins goaltending was solid and I had him at 90+% and the BSM goalie was also at 90+%.

Hopkins was not able to generate any consistent pressure in offensive zone. Benilde played one of their D as a forward in the 3rd period and he never went deep into Hopkins zone on the forecheck so maybe a sign they are looking to eliminate the odd man rushes mentioned in prior posts.

Entertaining game especially when it was 2-2 middle of 3rd. Shortly after Hopkins tied it at 2-2 BSM got good pressure from their forecheck and created a turnover for the gwg.

Semi final: Wayzata too much for Benilde and win it 3-1.

EP and HF should be the game to go to for this section semifinal. Braemar will be packed.